Ecuador NT (Post-World Cup)

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by LDU4ever, Nov 29, 2022.

1. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It’s the 75th minute and they’re looking to score their 3rd goal. Ecuador would have stopped attacking after the first goal.

2. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Costa Rica is the youngest team in CA.

3. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    You're both right. I was literally thinking the same thing as that game was being played regarding Colombia...

Talent-wise, we're on par, but Ecuador just lacks a truly ruthless desire to relentlessly attack. Meanwhile, we saw Colombia attacking in an orderly and disciplined manner, but with intentionality. It's a testament to a clear identity and methodology that the coach set. It does help that they have Luis Diaz up front who is an absolute menace even when he doesn't score.

4. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Alfaro....hats off to him. Just keeping them in the game- a truly honorable point. That's a moral victory for the youngest squad in the tournament regardless of how other games shake up.

cabezamagica repped this.
  5. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    We lack a system. Last qualifiers with Alfaro we were the 2nd most scoring team thanks to his system.

We have a great squad that just needs a good coach to bring it to the next level. This coach isn't it because he doesn't light that fire in players.

6. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Alfaro received his fair share of criticism during the time he coached Ecuador. He wasn’t immune to making mistakes. How many times did an opponent completely steam roll Ecuador tho? Very few times. His preparation was impressive. He almost always put Ecuador in a position to obtain a positive result.

I thought it was going to be a good idea to move on from Alfaro. The idea was to hire a coach who can take this team to the next level. Instead the NT has taken a step back. Hindsight is 20/20 but we would have been better off with Alfaro as opposed to hiring FSB.

cabezamagica and Allan_Somewhere repped this.
  7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We were at the Colombia match in Houston. The whole stadium was yellow and the Colombian fans were AMAZING!!! Tomorrow we fly to Vegas to see Ecuador.

8. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The goal differential is a problematic statistic because we were so top-heavy on goals in matchdays 2-4 in the '22 eliminiatorias. After that, the team's output definitely took a hit. Remember before the WC, the team went on a dry streak for a while, too.

For all the retrospective praise, I do remember painful results like the home loss to Peru or the away loss to Venezuela which were gutting to witness. There was also a very sad showing at the Copa America which was just unimpressive compounded with an absolute drubbing by Argentina. Or Alfaro's lineup vs. Senegal in the WC which will never be forgotten.

True.

Though I still think we were better off with a new coach to bring fresh ideas to the squad- just not FSB. Alfaro wanted double the salary to stay on, which in all fairness, I'm not sure that the FEF was willing to fork over $4m annually for a coach that experimiented as much as FSB does currently. For his many virtues, some of his flaws were glaring.

Hiring FSB was as bizarre as Liga hiring Alcacer- perhaps worse because the core of the squad is as close to elite as we've ever had (on paper, at least). Zero logic to the move except for budget friendliness. We let Gareca slip through our fingers and Fosatti too. Not sure Anselmi ever got a respectable look.

You are right about Alfaro keeping Ecuador in a position to obtain a positive result though. Where Ecuador usually stumbled with him was in lacking the maturity to hold on to tight scorelines and dropping points late in a match, but we played with more identity. Much of that was just attributed to a young squad doing what young kids do- make mistakes.

9. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Glad you enjoyed the match. Safe travels to sin city- hopefully our lads show out for our esteemed guests. You're our ambassador out there, brother!

cabezamagica and Cris 09 repped this.
  10. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    100%. I’m not going to sit here and say I advocated for Alfaro to continue as Ecuador’s coach. I personally thought his cycle had come to an end and we needed to move on. I’d pick Alfaro over FSB any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Ecuador didn’t always play well. But there were very few times where they were thoroughly outplayed by their opponents. The only games that come to mind are - against Argentina in the previous CA, against Paraguay in Asunción, the first half against Senegal.

11. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That Brazil team seems very weak physically. They have some flair but are very light weight in all departments. They don’t have that someone to bully defenders like in the past.

Btw, they don’t rely on Endrick like we do with Páez. Páez needs to be benched with Mena shuffled in there.

For the Costa Ricans it probably feels like a win. 1 point from Brazil is not bad.

\^the king^/ repped this.
  12. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I think my line up would be this vs Jamaica.

Galindez,
    Ordonez, Pacho, Hincapie
    Preciado, Ortiz, Caicedo, Minda
    Sarmiento
    Yeboah, Rodriguez

Sub:
    Loor, Franco, Paez
    Depending on how some of these guys play will determine the line up vs MX.

I swear watch Costa Rica make a 2nd run into qf of a wc. Yet this will still be untouched waters for us. I believed Alfaro deserved another cycle with the national team but unluckily for us FEF messed up any opportunity to remediate the issues they had with Alfaro and he very openly closed himself off to any further negotiations. He is making 750k with Costa Rica now. This is the same man who demanded 4mil for him to continue with our NT. I cant imagine how much of a nightmare it is to deal with FEF and negotiate with them.

Gareca was never going to be an option for us. He asked 4mil from us when we wanted to sign him and he got 4 mil from Chile.

cabezamagica repped this.
  13. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    A national team that's playing like they are absolutely warrants that kind of turn out. Glad to hear you had a great time!

I got invited to that venezuela game by a few folks, and I was very tempted to at least go to the Mexico game in Arizona with my old man (one of my personal goals is to take my old man all expenses paid to a competitive Ecuador match), BUT despite Ecuador not having the terrible results on paper that play style or lack thereof just isn't enticing enough.

Totally agree on the Paez bit, I think it was a mistake to give him a free pass after his incident with Plata Arboleda and Hincapie. A good benching was in order, he's 16/17 and that shouldn't be overlooked because he's talented.

Costa Rica stealing a point from Brazil is REALLY good. I personally was in the camp of keeping Alfaro, these young guys are still finding themselves and some continuity was going to be huge.

On pure talent we have somehow managed be in qualifying zones for the WC. Crazy to think we should only be 1 point away from Colombia and in 4th place if it wasn't for Alfaro and the FEF screw up with Byron.

Should we as fans just start treating the CA like a friendly tourney? A la Bolillo Gomez LOL it just hurts to get our hopes up for the same thing every time.

14. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The FEF is generally on some real BS when it comes to hiring/firing/management, but regarding these negotiations, it was evident Alfaro was the most at fault.

Aflaro thought he was entitled to more, and entered negotiations with that mindset. The FEF, for once in their life, didn't bend to the whim of the coach from the onset, and they started hardballing, which is normal for any negotiation. I also think they analyzed what they got from Alfaro, and cosidered what they could likely expect from him if we paid more for his signature and the outcome was probably less than ideal- probably more of the same. In that analysis, I think they were unimpressed by the pricetag and possible ROI.

Alfaro's track record (objectively speaking) was mixed at best:

His successes:
    -De-aging the squad
    -Some signature wins vs. Uruguay and Colombia at home; Away win vs. Chile
    -Qualifying to the World Cup
    -His team was foreshadowing what Ecuador could do if they reached their potential

His missteps:
    -Not instilling a focused culture for all matches played- we were inconsistent
    -Never really committed to a formation or system (overthinking? or risk aversion?)
    -Winless in the Copa America (advancing on ties and technicalities for that specific tournament)
    -Prematurely exiting the World Cup
    -Unable to get the team to score for long stretches
    -Signature losses: home vs. Peru, away vs. Venezuela, away vs. Paraguay

There's never any guarantee that a contractually renewed coach will keep us winning-
    After the 02 World Cup, Bolillo crashed out
    After the 06 World Cup, LFS crashed out
    After the 14 World Cup, Rueda faded out

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DO IT!!!! My dad is a huge footy fan...the reason why I am passionate about it. He is born and raised in Bremen and last month we saw his childhood club Werder Bremen together. It was the first and only match we have been to together and it was sooooo great. Bremen won 4-2 so it was a great match as well. It was the final matchday of the Bundesliga and also my first game at the Weserstadion as i have only been to the Allianze Arena and of course Signal Iduna Park.

Do it...take him and enjoy the match. Who cares about the result. i knew that with my dad's age, we would not have a lot of opportunities left.

cabezamagica, LDU4ever and \^the king^/ repped this.
  16. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    You're a good son, bro.

It's been a goal for several years since I started working after college, and then Covid took 2022 qualifiers off the table. It's definitely going to be one of those for memories for me.

LDU4ever repped this.
  17. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think the Alfaro issue was also that the FEF reneged on the bonuses for reaching the WC.knowing how shady the FEF is I don’t doubt this.

18. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Agreed but Bolillo, LFS, and Rueda never plan for long cycles their teams fall apart once their key players get injured or decline and they always struggled to make changes, renew and replace players. Alfaro & Vizuete were the only one to ever plan for a long cycle in the national team.

19. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I said it multiple times FEF publicly announced a 1.6 mil salary and said Alfaro debt was only around 300k. But Alfaro multiple times said the debt was 1.7mil after Already receiving 2.2.mil. He sued FEF demanding 4mil for all the months he had not been paid and won for an amount of 2mil. This is why he also demanded that salary for his renewed contract.

FEF doesn't know how to make a contract. We got screwed over with Jordy Cruyff with a bunch of unknown terms clauses that we later had to settle with lawyers. To me it seems like a repeat case here. FEF stupidly left unclear conditions in regards to these payments and got screwed over again.

The biggest fear is having to go threw this again with FSB.

20. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Peru first eliminated?

21. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Gareca not doing any recambios for chile? Seems like the same old names.

22. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #2797 The Machine, Jun 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Mathematically they’re not eliminated. For Peru to qualify for the next round Canada has to tie against Chile or Chile has to beat Canada. Peru has to beat Argentina tho. Even then it may not be enough because if Chile beats Canada and Peru does manage to beat Argentina it may not be enough because it’ll come down to goal difference.

23. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Their pool of young players to choose from is limited. They’re not developing young talent like other countries are. There’s also not that much demand from Europe for their young players.

24. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    He took out Vidal y Medel

25. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Both Paez & Sarmiento have yellow cards.