Ecuador national team profile

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Alan D, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Evening all,

I was hoping that you could help me. I write soccer/football articles for a website and one of the ideas I have pursued is to research the national teams in South America. I have become very interested in South American football over the past few years and I watch the World Cup qualifiers, Copa America (last summer) and the Copa Libertadores as much as I can and my interest is always growing. I am writing articles about each South American nation and including information such as who their best players are, any young promising players coming through and the general opinions of the team. The main reason I'm doing the research is to develop my own understanding and so if anybody could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know vast amounts about Ecuador but I know several footballers from there, mainly Felipe Caicedo as a City fan and also Castillo (Everton) and Valencia (Wigan) from watching the Premiership. I saw Ecuador's match against Bolivia recently so thought it would be good to select Ecuador to profile next - as I said, I don't know a lot about them so there isn't a better place to ask than here!

Having watched LDU Quito's remarkable story in the Copa Libertadores it has almost inspired me to select Ecuador now, I was very impressed and pleased to see the first Ecuadorian club win it. A true football story.

Any opinions on players, recent results and the World Cup qualifiers would be great and fully appreciated. I would also credit you in the article.

Many thanks,

Alan

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Manolo, where are you?? :D

3. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    man, we have so much talent right now, its tough to start when I look at the long list of guys I'd have to put under the microscope...

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Whats your deadline??

5. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Some players to look out for:
    Deison Mendez 17 year old defender champion with sub-18 NT in the Pan Am Games
    [​IMG]
    Pedro Larea
    [​IMG]

6. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    I don't have one mate, there isn't any rush! I have complete freedom over when I submit it so please don't feel as if you have to help - just when you have a spare bit of time then it would be greatly appreciated. I don't need vast amounts of details, even names of players would be useful as I can do further research on them.

Thanks for those viagoal.

Alan

7. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I just saw this post.

Alan, I would research the following players - I would say these are the current and future stars of Ecuador:

Christian Benitez (Santos, MEX)
    Joffre Guerron (Getafe, SPA)
    Felipe Caicedo (Man City, ENG)
    Antonio Valencia (Wigan, ENG)
    Segundo Castillo (Everton, ENG)
    Edison Mendez (PSV Eindhoven, HOL)
    Patricio Urrutia (LDU Quito, ECU)
    Luis Bolanos (LDU Quito, ECU)
    Carlos Tenorio (Al Saad, QAT)

Also, for some perspective, you may want to research some info on the following "legends" of Ecuadorian football - several of these guys are still active but are arguably past their prime:

Alberto Spencer (leading all-time scorer of Copa Libertadores)
    Alex Aguinaga (best player of the 1990's, won 3 Mexican titles)
    Agustin Delgado (best player of 2000's, leading scorer for national team)
    Ivan Kaviedes (first player to play in Europe, controversial figure)
    Ulises de la Cruz (first player to succeed in Europe, key part of 2002 qualifying)
    Ivan Hurtado (most capped Ecua player ever, defensive legend)
    Jose Cevallos (best Ecua goalkeeper ever)

Did I miss anyone?!

8. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Cristian Noboa
    Geovanni Espinoza
    Fernando Guerrero

9. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Alfonso Obregon

Luis Capurro

Otilino Tenorio

10. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ebelio Ordonez:eek::eek:

just kidding...

but for real...Munoz, from back in the 90's I think??? Also, El Tanque Hurtado...

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd thow in a couple milestones and significant events/moments too.

• Beating Argentina 2-0 for the first time back during the France 98 campaign. Ecuador barely missing it's first WC.
    • El Tin Delgado as joint top scorer for the QMs for 2002 with Ecuador coming second in the WCQ standings for CONMEBOL.
    • Ecuador's 1st participation of the WC in Japan-Korea and beating Croatia in the group stage.
    • Participation in WC 2006 making it to the 2nd round and losing to England 1-0
    • of a Beckham free kick, then making him puke! Ecuador being the first team to beat Bolivia in Bolivia during a QM.
    • Poor participation of the last Copa America in Venezuela despite having a great team.
    • Poor beginning in 2010 WCQ losing to Venezuela at home and getting thrashed by Brazil and Paraguay by 5 goals, Suarez, the last of the Colombian trio with Gomez and Maturana was replaced by "no known" Vizuete.
    • Vizuete took over as Ecuadorian manager after winning the 2007 Pan American Games in Brazil after eliminating Brazil in the semi finals with Ecuador's U 17 NT.
    • After Barcelona from Guayaquil made to finals in 1990 and again in 1998, LDU Q wins Ecuador's 1st Copa Libertadores iin 2008.

Players abroad;

• Mendez at PSV a key figure - scored the first Ecuadorian goal in a Champions League match v Liverpool.
    • Antonia Valencia at Wigan as a key figure
    • Felix Borja at Mainz 04
    • Segundo Castillo becoming a key figure at Everton. He was the first Ecuadorian to score a goal on another Ecuadorian (Espinoza) in European competition-UEFA Cup.
    • Rory Aragon Esopinoza solid keeper for Standard Liege
    • Felipe Caicedo in Man City reserves after the new owner spending spree the, 19 year old lost his place on the team to big spending transfer names like Robinho.
    • Cristian Benitez one of the top goal scorers in Mexico

feel free to add...

12. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Some additional milestones:

-Almost qualifying to 1966 WC for the first time, missing out by tying against Chile which featured a disallowed goal which photos after the game showed had crossed the line.

-Ivan Kaviedes awarded World's Top Goalscorer (was it 1999?) with 43 goals for Emelec. Thereafter going to Italy where he played with Perugia and was a key part in their survival in Serie A, scoring goals against Juventus, Inter, Fiorentina, and others.

-Alex Aguinaga declared the best player in Mexico for the 1990's decade. Won 3 Mexican titles with Necaxa, and finished 3rd in the World Club Cup after defeating Real Madrid on penalties.

-Defeating Brazil for the first time ever 1-0 for 2002 WCQ.

-National team coach Hernan Dario "Bolillo" Gomez being shot in a hotel in Quito, and temporarily resigning (I think this was around 2001?), only to come back and lead the team to qualify to the 2002 WC.