Ecuador - Colombia : Eliminatorias 2008

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Guayaquileño, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So yea guys... discuss.

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Ecuador - Colombia : Eliminatorias

subcribing...

3. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

we gotta beat em...period.

4. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it will be hard.. as we are evenly matched and their young players are as skillful as our young players.... but we know their style of play ... actually we played their stlye just until Vizuete came, heck we probably still do.

Although they are not Argentina, they pose a serious threat and are a direct opponents, but I see this game as winnable or maybe a tie? But I agree we have to beat them if we want to get to the goal.

5. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

I expect this game to be a close one, Its going to be hard to beat them, but I definetly think we got talent and experience enough to do it. I expect a line up similar to this. Cevallos, Espinoza, Castro or Hurtado, De Jesus and Ambrossi, Quiroz[or Castillo], Urrutia, Guerron,Valencia[or Saritama depends how tired he ends up in Argentina], Benites and Felipe, Im sure De La Cruz might come in if time starts running out and we haven't scored.

6. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is a hard game... and both teams are going to play their best. Colombia is probably thinking that Ecuador's NT will come hard after an Argentina defeat which will make them the more competitive... Or they can be thinking that we are going to underestimate them because they have problems with scoring, but that is not true. Even though we are playing in Quito, which gives us a heads up (which is really nothing since they are used to altitude also) being at home, we know how dangerous Colombia is because they are a direct rival and can inflict damage any time. They have young squad, but so do we, I think Ecuador's average age for the NT is 25, which is friggin excellent!

I see both NT's equally matched. Ecuador has to play a very good midfield game and offense since Colombia has a pretty good defense. But at the same time we have to up put ante in the defense because if they find an opening they will score despite that being their weak point.

7. jinks

jinks New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    London, England

I think the 'altitude card' is out of the window now seeing weve played 3 of the first qualifiers in Bogota. So unlike history, its down to pure talent. This will be a very very very hard game for us seeing that if you lose to Argentina then you gotta win this to reach 4th or 5th position by the end of qualifiers.

I would love not to see Tenorio, ese Guerron es un crack y medio. Dios, of course it doesnt help LUD libertadores final, as that propells your football.

8. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

I don't know about that. One of the favorable things about this sequence of matches that CONMEBOL keeps using, is that within the first five games we play the 3 toughest possible matches and get them out of the way.

Away vs. Brazil
    Away vs. Argentina
    Away vs. Paraguay

This always leaves us in 5th place or lower by this time, although the Venezuela loss really hurt us. However, the remaining 13 matches are all winnable or at least we can collect some points, and I really believe man-for-man this is a better team than the last 2 qualifiers.

9. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Manolo, you are freakin' right. But I wanted to look up Ecua's stats and they are surprisingly consistent:

WCQ 02
    FIRST 6 MATCHES:
    2 WINS 3 LOSSES 1 TIE = 38.8% Win Effective
    Went on to place 2nd Overall in WCQ

WCQ 06
    FIRST 6 MATCHES:
    2 WINS 3 LOSSES 1 TIE= 38.8% Win Effective
    Went on to place 3rd Overall in WCQ

WCQ 10
    FIRST 4 MATCHES:
    1 WIN 3 LOSSES 0 TIE= 25% Win Effective rate

Here lies the problem this time. Ecuador has not won in Buenos Aires and if we follow past history results then a loss is likely in the books. That would stretch the losses column into 4 losses and then a win would be a MUST to have Ecuador with a 33.3% Win Effective rate, close but not the same as in the past WCQ and already are in need to make up the points elsewhere.

Add to it some other additional stats I found:

In 02 WCQ - After 6 matches -3 GD
    Ended WCQ with a +3 GD

In 06 WCQ - After 6 matches -1 GD
    Ended WCQ with a +4 GD

In 10 WCQ - After 4 matches -6 GD
    *It will be key, that if Ecuador does lose in Arg., that it be with a minimal 1-0, 2-0 result

Also:
    The points lost vs Vzla were key. In WCQ 02, Ecuador claimed 6 points v Vzla. In WCQ 06, Ecuador claimed 3 points (at home only). Now with a much better Vzla (remember they just beat Brazil in a friendly), they are a much tougher opponent at home and those 3 points lost in Quito will now have to be made up for. Which means that their away record must improve considerably.
    For the 06' campaign it was crucial for Ecuador to beat Arg and Brazil at home. Can they repeat those 6 points? Maybe, but again, it makes 'winnable matches' v Colombia in Quito a much more important NEEDED reality.

10. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

excellent insight......

at the end of the day, for all Ecuas, we just need to win both games...sea como sea

11. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it is a very beatable game. I see a win against the colombians. Any less than that would not be an accurate show of what the NT can really do.

12. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I dont know about very beatable. They match up too well. Also, Pinto's strategy has been to train and play in the altitude for these qualifiers which has already given results. Our DT is also very experienced much more so then Ecuador's DT. I think that experience will come into play.
    Ecuador v Colombia in Quito have all been close games:

2006 QUITO 02/06/2004 ECU 2:1 (1:0) COL League round
    2002 QUITO 25/07/2000 ECU 0:0 COL Qualifying Tournament
    1998 QUITO 09/10/1996 ECU 0:1 (0:0) COL Qualifying Tournament
    1990 GUAYAQUIL 03/09/1989 ECU 0:0 COL First stage

ECUADOR @ HOME
    W - 1
    L - 1
    T - 2

13. preyes10

preyes10 New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    ny
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

I disagree with the whole experience factor..I feel we have a more talented group of players than the team that started these elminatorias with suarez.
    Does Colombia's coach has the experience edge? yes
    will it reflect in the result? don't think so

on paper i think these teams are very even..it should be a good match

14. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are right .. I guess I let a lil too much enthusiasm get into it - I don't want to count my chicks before they hatch.. What I meant in that is "very beatable" in the sense that we can win it, although we are equally matched and altitude is not any factor to both teams, which is also a fact. Both teams are young and fast. It can go either way, but slight advantage Ecuador might have is playing home. that's it really.

15. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I want to see Edison Mendez play like this against Arg and Col.... lately he hasn't been at his 100%... he's gotta pick it up again..

[youtube]jZilDttiNW0&hl=en[/youtube]

16. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Mendez doesn't deserve to start IMO. he abandons the team and he gets his spot back when he decides its ok for him to play again? what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team, players such as Bolanos, who truely merit the spot? :mad: Mendez has to prove himself again.

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

He's champion of the Dutch League - thats good enough for me!

18. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006

I don't think Hurtado, Mendez and Tenorio are the same. If those three players start, we'll have an advantage there.

Also think that Ecuador needs a second DM playing besides Castillo. There's a second advantage for us.

Benitez, Guerron and Valencia are the key players for Ecuador but Pinto already knows that.

19. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

vos Crees que todo se soluciono con la llegada de vizuete y de Hurtado al equipo?

suena como si nada paso en la seleccion del 2007

20. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006

Osea que si ganan es accurate y si perden es una distorsion de la realidad...
    funny guy...

21. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Osea que si pierden, pierden... pero no es para lo que el equipo aporta. como digo, el futbol es futbol. El que gana es el que metio gol y supo tomar ventaja de gol.

osea que voy a decir que colombia es mejor que argentina porque les ganaron un partido...? a esa logica es a lo que me referia. Aunque en este caso no se trata de equipos de diferentes niveles ni quien es mejor, simplemente lo que un equipo es capaz de rendir dado el buen o mal resultado de un partido...

i wasn't trying to be funny colombo. you can do without the sarcasm.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I hope the overconfidence displayed by the Colombian fans is the same overconfidence that Colombia has as a team. It will be a bonus for Ecuador....though I'm sure their manager is not that dumb.

No one here is saying one team is superior to the other...but Ecuador can win this game just as much as they can loose it. They certainly have enough quality to make it happen.

Now bugger off to your own boards and we'll see you on game day!

23. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

\

I think Vizuete is still iffy, he has some radical ideas and I don't know what he is doing puttin Isaac Mina in the starting line up. As for Hurtado, he is a legend, but his time is up in terms of the NT, and I would like to see a good replacement for him, which we do have like Guagua. Hurtado can still do great in clubs (unfortunately no Barcelona), hopefully if he goes to Millos he can repeat what he did with Atl. Nacional.

24. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

estamos confiados en el empate....ganar seria una bonificacion

Y mas ahora que entendemos que paso con Peru...y su floja defensa....espuestos por mejico herido tambien. es un partido muy parejo, quien dijo estar confiado?

25. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

como venezuela en Quito en s ultima visita?