Ecuador - Brasil 3/29/09 (r)

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Quilotoa, Mar 23, 2009.

1. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    there is no mincing words, the tri right now plays como nunca...pero saca los mismos resultados!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

this goes far beyond just this game, look at the gaps between Chile, Uruguay and us!!!!! we needed the 3 points, no matter how we got it, and we got 1, dropped another 2 in Quito, in a game that was very winnable.....Guerron should not be called to the NT until he can realize that he needs to pass the EFFING BALL!!!! Noboa is a hands down starter against Paraguay, and he should have been the hands down starter instead of Valencia who was looking nothing less than average today because he's clearly still in some sort of pain and was holding back....Palacios and Benitez next game, we need 3 points and we need a goleada.........ECUADOR, TE QUIERO, A GANAR!

2. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MY GOD!!! ... LA TRI LOOKED AWESOME !!!!! WE LOOKED LIKE BRAZIL... AND BRAZIL LOOKED LIKE ....... Ummmm... PERU!! lol

WE played ********en awesome. BUt we did not score like always... if Valencia had not hit the post, if effing Benitez would not have missed those numerous headers and shots, if Caicedo's shot would have gone a couple inches to the left .. OMG !!!

Brazil got lucky off an own goal off Cevallos' back..

But my man Noboa did us justice and still it is not enough in my eyes. I was calling for Noboa ever since I noticed early on that Guerron was ********ing up big time and being a ball hog... Guerron would have made nice assists for goals... but we would never know since that mofo thinks of himself only...

Noboa was hungry... he proved himself .. eff you guerron, when you learn to be a team player you can start again.. hell ! even Quiroz would have gone in for guerron ..

Mendez, Ayovi, Castillo, Valencia, Hurtado, Espinoza... you guys were on fire !!!!

Benitez missed toooooo much ..... why cant he effing do what he does in Santos for La Tri??? Vizuete should have put Palacios in for Caicedo..

3. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Ecuador doesn't make it to the World Cup than There is only person to blame really. It's luis Chiriboga for keeping Suarez on as Coach. Very little futbol nations keep a coach for more than 4 years. I think recently only Engalnd keep Sven goran erikkson for two terms. Imagine Ecuador playing like this from the beginning...

4. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Man I agree with that...Suarez had to get the boot right after the Copa America in 2007. In my eyes Vizuete should never had been coach. This is a job for a man like Edgardo Bauza....I don't think anyone will fight that opinion. He's PERFECT for our national team. I know that man would atleast talk some sense into Guerron. Noboa should be an example for Guerron, he should learn from that. 1st game in a qualifiers and what do you know a goal against none other than Brazil that saved our asses from loosing.

Bolivia, Peru, and Venezuela are basically done with...I just hope come Wednesday Ecuador isn't the next one on the list.

5. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    a few of us have said on this forum before...el Chiriboga es el rey de los autogoles....

6. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The performance of Christian Benitez certainly impressed the media here in the UK. Although his shots at goal were not always perfect, he did however position himself well to therefore create plenty of chances, and his work rate, speed, and ability to sneak behind the defense should all be applauded. England legend Trevor Francis pretty much pleaded with EPL managers to sign the guy following the match, and surely the demand for the guy has now increased beyond just Wigan Athletic. Even though at present he is playing in a fantastic league, the Mexican Primera, which is a 7th or 8th best league in the World, his time to step up to the best league of them all, the EPL, is just around the corner.
    With regards to the overall performance of Ecuador, they were excellent indeed, in fact so excellent that Brazil looked like San Marino, except a very lucky version of San Marino given that somehow Brazil got a result out of the match. It was a very harsh outcome that Ecuador never won the match, however if they keep performing like that for the remainder of the qualifiers then they should be able to snatch a place in the World Cup. The scenario in which Joffre Guerron could have passed to an open Benitez (Damnecuadorian has provided a highlight video of this), certainly angered me, as it was very likely that Benitez would have went on to score should Guerron have passed, but unfortunately the Joffre got greedy. Hopefully manager Suarez can get into Guerron's head to ensure that he doesnt do something like that again in the build up to a great opportunity, this especially given that wins in the qualifying are now vital.

7. sebas/Liga De Quito

Feb 18, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Im with you, the greedy chiri-roba should never of kept suarez...Bauza made Guerron pass the ball in Liga, he changes teams and forgets everything. Didnt Bauza get an offer but declined?? Palacios scores almost every game...Felipao sits on the bench and gets about 5 mins. at the end...Wednesday 5-0 vamos Ecuador!!!

8. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't think Bauza was ever offered a position to be our NT coach. He was thought of but at the end it didn't happen...and this was way before LDU won the Libertadores...now imagine what he would have done to transform our NT. I thought that he should have been chosen as Coach wayyy back then.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEypuTHf0vY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Ecuador 1 - Brasil 1. Eliminatorias Sudamericanas 2010. Resumen del partido.[/ame]

This 10 min. video highlight....6 shots from Benitez in this highlight and 2 from Guerron....2 that should have been goals made by Benitez and i mean MADE and 2 others that Guerron totally threw away in the garbage.

And I think it's time to put Palacios up front...this whole Benitez, Guerron, Caicedo thing doesn't work when they're all on the field. Goals just seem to be our worst enemy when those 3 players play all together. It's Palacios' turn up front and Noboa's in the midfield.

Damn...and I just started to think about this right now...what if Noboa would have been called up months and months ago when he was playing at his prime last season?? But the FEF and Vizuete seemed to ignore it....same thing with Rorys Aragon.

I think we should have Palacios and possibly give Benitez his last chance up front and see what he does during the 1st half against paraguay...and if that doesn't work all we have left is Caicedo and Rojas.

9. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guerron was our undoing .. he effed up the game for us.

There were like 7 instances in which he had a partener open and ripe for goal and he instead hogged it.

I was calling for Noboa in the late stage of the first 45 mins ... But it came a lil too late .. and just in the nick of time to do us half justice.

10. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was watching the game on a stream coming from the UK, and around the 50th min or so the commentator remarked "ecuador are going to be very sorry to have wasted so many chances". i wholeheartedly agreed, and as soon as brazil scored i thought back to what he said.

we also shouldnt look too much into the fact we "dominated" brazil..

1) we were at home, at altitude where we've had past successes
    2) their gameplan was obviously to not run excessively and to not get tired. they defended well, and capitalized on one of their few chances. and, sad for us to say - their plan worked. they got a point away in altitude where they've previously lost.

obviously a tie is better than a loss, but we definitely need to address the finishing issues. sad to say that el tin would have had a hat trick in the game :mad:

11. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one hundred thumbs up !!! Repped.

12. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I said that months ago, we were totally right to call for Noboa to the NT...he needed that shot a long time ago.

13. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Well looking ahead to Wednesday here is my lineup,

Cevallos

------------Reasco-------Hurtado-----Espinoza-------Ayovi-----

Castillo

Valencia-----------Mendez--------------Noboa-------

Palacios---------Benitez

Now I haven't seen many of Paraguay's games. They won't have Santa Cruz which will help and they didn't look that great against Uruguay so I'm feeling good about the game in Quito. I think if they have trouble dealing with speed then Vizuete might start Guerron if he promises to pass but I hope he doesn't see the pitch. Valencia played with passion on Sunday and if he is feeling alright then I don't know why he wouldn't start. As for Caicedo I think even though he looks uninterested and pathetic sometimes, he is still a formidable threat. He has potential to pull of decent strikes (the England game in Spain) and he is a strong physical presence sometimes. I think Palacios is a natural finisher and Benitez can move the ball around for him to strike. Look as an upside from Sunday Ecuador looked amazing in my book and I can't imagine them losing if Noboa starts and everyone plays that well again. I think Ayovi looked really good and if he could get a decent set piece situation I see him scoring. Vizuete just needs to make bloody substitutions at the right time. Maybe the scoreline will be enough in Ecuador's side to see Rojas on the pitch! What say you guys?

14. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ayovi is out for Paraguay's match fyi...yellow card accumulation.
    Ambrossi will most likely fill the left, this position has been a continuous headache for Ecuador in recent years...

15. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Santa Cruz, Heado Valdez, Caceres, Barreto, and the injured Morel aren't playing against Ecuador.

For us Ayovi is not playing b/c of card accumulation.

16. yoryi

yoryi Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boogie Down BRONX!
    I remember el Tin nailing those headers like nothing,,,but Benitez can't head for shit. And Guerron should come out the bench,a starter he is not.

17. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Wrong.

We didn't just "dominate". We played some great ball. Everything was working - the defense was effective, the midfield was controlling and creating, the wingers were running and opening up the field, and the forwards were combining and creating danger. It was a textbook of soccer.

Teams go through ups and downs, peaks and valleys. If we play like we did on Sunday, I think we will beat Paraguay, a team that we have had an easier time against historically than Brazil. And given that, as I predicted last year, these qualifiers will go down to the very last round of matches, it will be a good thing for us to be in top form over these next few months.

18. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    very true Manolo, but domination without goals means nothing....only press clippings that will turn into google archives later on. the only thing that will matter is the 1-1 tie, and that breaks my heart because the ecua side we saw against brazil was something that i haven't seen in a really long time-probably since the first 2 games of the 06 world cup

19. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Actually, since the first half against Chile in the Copa America. The team was blazing. Ever since losing that game 3-2 the team has slowly been regaining their confidence. I think that left the boys traumatized for a while.

By the way, the man everybody loves to hate was named to Goal.com's South American Team of the Weekend.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1648/wc...cup-debate-south-american-team-of-the-weekend

20. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    incorrect.

it was textbook soccer against a team that half-*ssed it so as not to get injured or tired for their next game. a team that, even though they have not been on their best form of late, STILL almost beat us while jogging the entire game, and only tied thanks to some stroke of god. i fail to see what's so impressive about that

21. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    The answer: Because it's Brazil. They have expectations to live up to, not only to their own fans, but to observers around the world.

Sunday at the bar I went to, I had a yellow shirt that said ECUADOR in big letters in the front, and the Irish guy at the entrance asked "are you here to watch the Brazil game?" That was a reminder of the hierarchy of world soccer, and that Brazil is not just any team. Now all the press and fans around the world are saying how we made the five-time world champions look like a team that should not even qualify.

Of course, it's nothing but a tie, and it really hurts not to win. But I think a performance like that, if repeated, will result in wins against less powerful teams.

22. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sadly, this is so true. Christian Benitez can't head a ball into the net if his life depended on it... its so sad because he had numerous chances at headers and failed miserably at each opportunity. But again, this is not new... Benitez has been letting chances go since the beginning of these qualifiers and is one of the main reasons why Ecuador sits seventh at the moment (and of course bad start with Suarez).

The way I see it, Ecuador has 5 points to make up. They lost at home versus Venezuela (3pts), then tied to Brasil and Colombia also at home (2+2=4). With that said, they stole a point in Argentina and Uruguay meaning 7-2=5. They MUST win their remaining games in Quito and beat either Peru or Colombia in their stadiums and tie in Chile/Bolivia.

Si se puede todavia....

I pray and hope!

23. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Benitez does have trouble getting some good headers but the one he scored in the CONCACAF champions league at home against Montreal was sweet, check it out. Other than that he is lackluster at creating a serious aerial threat. This is were Caicedo needs to shine!!! Both for club and country if Caicedo was good with his head and used his strength for set pieces he would no doubt have a huge reputation. He is slow...so counteract that with a big guy that doesn't get marked well and make some headers! Man City is desperate to score goals off of corners as is Ecuador. Although he is slow I've never seen him use his strength and size ever except for muscling that Aalborg defender in the UEFA cup. Either way I see each striker (Caicedo, Benitez, and Palacios) getting a goal each on Paraguay! I think Ecuador is going to blow this wide open.

24. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am not going to forecast anything... but we should be playing to the death against paraguay ... it would be a WASTE for this NT .. one of the best if not the BEST NT we have had in ages doesn't make it this time.

GOOD LUCK to the boys... and hopefully can start being more certero in his finishes.. and Palacios can get a chance and see what he is made of in the match.

25. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't like to make predictions either, it's a cabala that works for me most of the time...
    I rather speak after the match....I'm already so nervous, we HAVE to win tomorrow! I am confident but also stressed out lol...