Ecuador - Argentina June 10, 2009

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Quilotoa, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    OK, nice win in Peru but I would say it was not nearly as dominating as the Paraguay and Brasil games. Caicedo will probably get the start with Tenorio and I think with Valencia back there should be a lot more possesion in the midfield. With Montero's performance the midfield also has some serious depth now. I wish he could have finished on that 1 on 1 though, damn that was close. Also, Castillo looked solid. I'm picking an Ecuador victory. Maradona is scared of the altitude after that Bolivia game and they looked weak against Colombia.

2. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Re: Ecuador - Argentina 10/6/09

ya we had possession agaisnt paraguay and brazil but did we do anything with ball ...NO!!!well ya we scored the goal agisnt brazil and paraguay but other than that our space agisnt paraguay was limited their defence and midfield would steal the ball from us like taking candy from a baby todays tactic was excellent both offense and defense at the same time..and we actually moved around with the ball for more time..without getting the ball stolen..we did a good job and as long as we play like that and prevent some defensive mistakes like we did at times well be good to go and agisnt argentina we need to be in top shape as well...though for some reason i ffelt more afria d of the peru game than the argentina game because i have a feeling that peru were gonna come aggressively at us during the macth and i was right but i t didnt end anywhere for them soo..w/e

3. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

PLEASE: Somebody tell me that Carlos Tenorio is OK.

4. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

:confused:

5. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    This game against Argentina is going to be a hard one although most of their players have problems playing at high elevation. I doubt Maradona is going to allow another humiliating result, especially with Argentina being 4th in Qualifiers. We can go too overconfident in this game. All these games must be played like finals and with players who put their heart into the game.

I'm unsure about the defense & midfield for this game but I'll go with this:

Elizaga; Reasco, Hurtado, Espinoza, Mina; Valencia, Mendez, Castillo, Ayovi; Caicedo, Tenorio

I think we should trust Hurtado, Espinoza, and Mina in this game b/c when we played Argentina last time they all had a solid preformance. Although Fleitas and Guagua did have a good game today against Peru, we can't trust just 1 good game of theirs vs. the experience that Hurtado & Espinoza and even Mina have had playing against more competitive teams.

Valencia, Mendez, Castillo, and Ayovi ALWAYS have great performances in our mid. I think they should all be starters. Ayovi should play as a left wing and not a left back in this game b/c if he plays as a left back, Messi will be able to speed through all the open spaces that Ayovi will be leaving since Ayovi is more offensive than defensive. Since Mina is more of a defensive player, he should take the role of the left back position. In the game against Peru, Ayovi could have gotten away with being a Left Back b/c Peru isn't THAT dangerously offensive but with Argentina it's a different story.

Noboa has been great as a sub. I would really like to see him start but don't know if he'd preform the same at high elevation. We've only seen Noboa play 15-25 minutes in Quito but not a whole game. I trust Noboa's skill but Castillo has always done a good job in Quito so I'd continue with him.

I think Montero and Noboa would be a great option for subs. Guerron is out of the question for this game. Finally, I think Rojas would be the best option as a sub in the 2nd half to play the type of role Franklin Salas did last Qualifiers. Taking everyone down when they're tired.

If Tenorio is not able to play I'd say the starters are Caicedo and Rojas up front.

6. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

After the game he said: "sufri un golpe durante el partido en la rodilla pero no es nada grave"...I'm hoping he's right and that his medical exams show he's alright so he can get ready to put up a good performance like he did against Peru.

7. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I agree except I would keep Ayovi defending on the left side, because he's good at it, plus Mina has been crappy lately against Peru and El Salvador. That way Noboa plays on the left side. I don't think you can leave out Noboa after today, he proved he is a starter in my book.

8. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

I think Benitez needs to get playing time, the guy can score, just give him more confidence. We will have our best 11 on the pitch, and be playing in front of a sold out loud stadium, and are coming off a win, what else could we ask for.

9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Va a jugar Urrutia el miercoles? Que golazo hizo en Buenos Aires.

10. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Also, Reasco cannot play due to yellow cards. I think that the natural replacement is Jairo Campos.

11. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    if we can play the way we did against Argentina the last time we played them in Quito..or the way we played against Brazil and Paraguay (WITH BETTER SHOT ACCURACY) I'd really say that we have a legitimate shot.

ecuadawgs, look at our positioning in the table...the most crucial game will clearly be against Uruguay, pending other results flow steadily in our favor.....if we're tied on points with a worse off GD, this game becomes our "final" but in order for that to happen we'll have to fight for a few more wins prior. Argentina can lose on Wednesday, and then lose again against Brazil, or tie, and they have to play Paraguay in the Defensores....4th place can legitimately be ours assuming we can string some positive results.......ECUADORRRRRRRR!! it started in Peru, now we need 4 more!

12. ceejay187

ceejay187 Member

Mar 30, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I feel you, we can do this! LETS GO ECUAAAAAA!

13. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    by the way, does anybody know another online pay provider for the games? JumpTV totally flaked on me yesterday and I'm in the process of disputing the charges because I was unable to watch the game with their service...is there any alternative?

14. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Nope, unfortunately Vizuete didn't call him up...which was a mistake b/c Fernando Hidalgo is trash and Pedro Quinonez fouls wayyy too much.

15. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    You don't always have to pay buddy...

www.elastillero.tv

www.rojadirecta.com

www.justin.tv

those 3 places and many more always have the game going on....especially elastillero.tv they show all the games

16. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

you right...we can still fight for 4th place as long as Uruguay remains loosing and we remain winning. And ALSO as long as Argentina looses to us, Brazil, and Paraguay. If manage to beat Argentina, ATLEAST tie Colombia, and then beat Bolivia, then we are in it for 4th place.

Everyone also has to remember that Ecuador has a -4 goal difference, which in the end could kill us. We have 2 more games at home and 3 away. We obviously have to win 3 more games and try to tie/beat Colombia or Chile to be in it for sure.

Against Argentina, we will need to score by a large margin. If Bolivia did it, we can too....we can't be stupid like we were against Brazil & Paraguay and not score the 5 million goals that we could have scored. Besides our points, our GOAL DIFFERENCE is going to play a BIG role in our chances to qualify.

Our advantages against Argentina are the same Bolivia had, except we have even more. I'd say 90-95% of Argentina's players have a huge problem playing at high elevation. When Bolivia played them, Bolivia was not under pressure b/c they were already eliminated and still they sh*tted on Arg. Our NT, on the other hand, has an obligation to win...AND by a large margin. If we can score +3 or +4 goals in this game then we are doing great. Our players are going to be really motivated for this game and hopefully won't commit the same errors like we did against Brazil & Paraguay. This game HAS to be taken advantage of. It's one of our last chances to fix our goal difference. Hopefully by the end of Wednesday our goal difference can atleast be reduced to -1 or 0...ATLEAST

17. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think he recieved too much confidence in a qualifiers where he's only scored 2 goals and played almost evvveerrry single game. We're good with what we have, especially if Tenorio keeps up his good work. Montero has only played 1 game, hes a winger, and ALREADY scored 1 goal. Noboa has played 3 games, 2 as a sub...and has scored 2 goals already and he's a midfield. Benitez has played almost every game and all I can remember is him missing 99% of his shots...

We have not seen Rojas play yet, but I'm hoping he can offer more...and I believe he can.

We do not need Benitez up front anymore. He was our goal drought problem. When him and Tenorio played together up front, they didn't understand each other and didn't preform well. I think Rojas would be a much better option up front with Tenorio.

18. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    yeah i always go to those to watch games for copa libertadores, etc...but yesterday links kept getting shut down and it was impossible to watch through there.

19. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I thought so too b/c I thought he had a yellow prior to yesterdays game...but in www.futbolecuador.com it says no one is suspended for the game against Argentina meaning Reasco will play. Are you for sure Reasco can't play??

And yeah Campos would be his natural replacement, although we all know Campos is more defensive and not offensive like Reasco.

20. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Messi, Aguero and Mascherano will not play this game. This is the perfect chance for us to gain 3 more points.

21. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    woooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

22. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Among the 10 million other reasons we need to defeat Argentina is that if they are still fighting to qualify in the last round they play against Uruguay, and will have to win. The last two qualifiers, they were already qualified and basically handed Uruguay the game.

23. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Messi, Aguero, and Mascherano not playing is good...but we can't be singing victory songs yet. Argentina has lots of good players on their bench too. I think Battaglia is going to be playing now that Mascherano is not...and Battaglia is an awesome player.

Although this Argentina does not perform well at high elevation and is lately having problems playing collectively as a team, we can't get over confident and think it's going to be an easy win. This is a game where we have to continue being aggressive and go for a goleada and actually TAKE ADVANTAGE of the many weaknesses they currently have when we play against them.

We can't be happy with a 1-0 or 2-0...yes it does help us achieve our goal of 6 points b/t these last two rounds but our goal difference won't be fixed much. Our players need to remember....If Bolivia did it, we can too. We have so many advantages as of right now, it's the players duty to put these advantages to good use.

24. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yup that's true...last qualifiers around this round we already knew who was going to be seeing a WC and who wasn't. This time nothing is logical as far as results go b/c there's a lot of inconsistency going on along with bad luck from every single team. Who would have thought all the visiting teams (besides Col.) would achieve a victory? Nothing makes sense anymore lol :confused:

25. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That is great! Also, with no one suspended (except for maybe Reasco) it will be interesting to see who will start on Wed. As far as the defence for once there are a few options but we wouldn't want it to bite us in the a**. Guagua was solid but who knows if he'll make a stupid mistake and crumble, which is why I think we all agree Hurtado will have his spot back. The midfield should be loaded. Valencia has been in Quito training this whole time and not to mention now having Montero as a solid sub. If he continues to do well then Guerron can kiss his jersey goodbye. With Argentina in this bad of a position it is entirely possible that they wouldn't qualify or at least have to settle for 5th. Crazy stuff. Also keep in mind that Colombia will be playing at home against Peru so they should have 17 points as well, but I wouldn't rule out a Peru victory if Vargas plays as he did in Lima.