Ecuador and the Copa America Games

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by zampi, Jun 19, 2007.

1. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    Re: Ecuador vs Brasil.....their last game in Copa America

Now this is an accurate post.

Good job:)

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Ecuador vs Brasil.....their last game in Copa America

Though many of your points are valid, to say Ecuador has no talent is ridiculous. Ecuador's problem has been that they have individual talent but lacked the whole "team" and collective play. Off course our striker is going to get owened when he has the ball and is trying toi run trhough 3 defenders. They need vision - like chess, to be able to read the game. This has more to do with proper coaching as well as team spirit.

A few years back, I heard the press, not just Ecuadorian, say, "Ecuador plays like a team, it's way the can get so far."
    Last night, the commentators for Univision sayed, "This team is full of talent but they just cannot seem to play together like a 'team'".
    I would say that is a fair statement. Brazil had this problem in the WC in Germany. I am not saying one is like the other but there are similarities.

Poor choice of starters; Mora, E Tenorio (semi injured)
    Poor choice of benchwarmers; no F Salas (Kaviedes was injured)
    poor subs; taking off striker for striker when we should have played with 3 strikers

I don't know, I truly think it is timw for a new coach as well. The players have most of the responsablities for producing the results, but even the Beatles would not have shined if it wasn't for George Martin producing their records!!

I think it is time for another coach.

3. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ecuador vs Brasil.....last game in Copa America (r)

LFS did what he did... we cannot go any further with him. We need a new coach... It would be great to see an Argentine, Paraguayan, or Uruguayan as coach.... we need speed and tactics. No more Colombian style of playing... look where it got us here in Copa and the last friendlies...

4. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005

I much rather see an Ecuadorian coaching our Team.

We need all the Ecua Pride to be 100%.

5. LongLiveThe80's

Manchester United
    Jun 8, 2006
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still think most of you guys are confusing talent with potential. I think our team and players have huge potential, but no talent. Why specifically do you feel they have talent?? What about them makes you think that? If they had talent, they would be able to finish off plays. They would be able to control the ball durring runs and after passes. They wouldn't be making erratic passes that go flying over the intended player's head. They wouldn't be making the same bone head mistakes that make in every single game! Part of the problem is the coach's failure to prepare correctly, but you can't teach a player at that age how to pass or kick. I feel they have a huge amount of potential and can become incredible players, but to say they have talent now is wishful thinking. Come on people!!! They have lost almost every game they've played since the Costa Rica game!

6. betto

betto New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Cary, NC

Ok then! we are focked. We must wait for the next generation of players to be better then, because from your comments say that you have no hope for this team. We have to work with what we have and we DO have the pieces/players to make it work. We just need to get them together in the right positions.

7. Ecua_Man

Ecua_Man New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Hackensack, NJ

The team has talent. There is no question about that. The team lacks passion, cohesion, team spirit, vision, proper game plan and a couple better defensive players. That's it. As disappointing as this cup was, I did see improvements. With a better coach they could have won all three of those games. They are starting to believe they can score against anybody. They need to start believing they can beat anybody.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

How can someone without talent have potential???:rolleyes: Potential to what??

When used in the football lingo "potential" means to bring out the best of someone that has "talent".

The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.

If Ecuador has no talent, then what is their potential?? "Mediocre"? Your argument makes no sense! Ecuador's squad have talent...they just don't always use it to their full potential!

9. LongLiveThe80's

Manchester United
    Jun 8, 2006
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait a minute here.......don't get me wrong...I love Ecuador...but the facts are the facts! How often has our team won?? You guys say they have talent.....ok.....exactly what are they talented in??? Where is the talent? What is the talent? Let me know please! I saw a team that was completely and totally lost! I saw players that would make amateur mistakes! Am I totally off by saying that?! I don't think so! If you guys want to go on about our team being talented, then that's your thing! I am looking at the cold hard facts. We don't win outside of Quito! We don't play with passion...and honestly......watching the team play leaves me more frustrated than anything else in this world! That is just my point of view.

10. betto

betto New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Cary, NC

LMAO! great line

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I have a solution; Stop watching them play!!!:rolleyes:

12. LongLiveThe80's

Manchester United
    Jun 8, 2006
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why should I stop watching them? I like watching soccer. I hate the fact my team loses almost 99% of the time, but I like watching....even though it's frustrating. I just call it like it is. I will make no apologies for the Ecuadorian team. They are what they are. I hope they can get better and show their true potential. I will just not fool myself into thinking that Ecuadorian soccer is among the top in South America.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don't know who here has said Ecuador is "among the top in South America" but I can surely tell you they are better than a lot of teams out there. No one is asking you to apologize or make excuses for Ecuador either. You have your opinion and thats fine.

However, what you think they "are" (when you say, "They are what they are") and what I think they "are" is very different. I do believe they have both talent and potential.

It seems you are pissed because you think the team didn't make it because they are bad, mediocre - whatever. I am pissed because they played 3 damn good games that Ecuador should have, would have, could have won - but didn't.

I think that, save the last 20 minutes against Chile, they had 3 great games against some very tough opponents, and a little help from an Argentine ref. Here is where I will call your bluff. Had Ecuador beaten all three teams, or even qualified to the next round, I am sure you would praise the team saying how well they played to get there. But they didn't, so that to you means they are bad and so you knock 'em down.

Though I won't ever say that Ecuador is at the same level as Argentina, I will use the example to illustrate a point. In Japan-South Korea 2002, Argentina made a first round exit. IT HAPPENS!! ...even to a team that was believed to win the whole fukcin' thing!! Get it?

For whatever reason Ecuador has lost in the past, it doesn't matter - I am just talking about these last 3 games.

Ecuador, lost to 3 teams that did not play all that great, but they scored, and Ecuador didn't...it just wasn't meant to happen. Maybe we needed to score more, maye we needed the other team to score less - it doesn't matter anymore. I thought they played to win, to get the result and shame on them for letting that one ball get away from them with an open net...both; the offensive and defensive ends of the pitch!

GOOD GAMES, ECUADOR!!! WELCOME HOME!!

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Something my teachers would tell my parents quite often...LOL!!!:D

15. LongLiveThe80's

Manchester United
    Jun 8, 2006
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Woulda-coulda-shoulda........IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! If they would have won....you're right....I would have been happy and I would have been praising them......BUT THEY DIDN'T! When they HAD TO WIN, they didn't! When they had to play balls out, they didn't! Isn't that proof that they are mediocre? What do you think? That they just had some bad luck? That they had some bad calls? That things just didn't fall their way? Well....what do you say about the prior 10 games? With all that talent.......what about the prior ten games?

Don't get me wrong.....I love Ecuador and want a kick ass team, but I am being real. Our players and our team sucks! The last 3 Copa Americas....1st round elimination....how do you explain that? Durring World Cup Qualifiers....how many games did we win outside of Quito?

Again.....why am I knocking them so hard? I guess it's because I want to demand more from them. I don't want to settle. When I see those players, I see an incredible potential that just seems to be wasted. I can never explain to myself how teams we should be intimidating are beating us so easily.

I do believe that our hope is the new generation of players. I'm sorry. I just don't believe there is going to be much improvement with the current prospects. I hope to God that I can eat all my words up in the future, but if history is any indication, I will not.

I see this team qualifying for World Cup play. I think we're good enough to hold serve in Quito. If we get a victory or two outside of Quito, that will be a HUGE improvement. I see them playing in the next world cup...so that is an improvement from previous years.....but I still want to demand more from them.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

We ALL demand more from them. We all want a kick ass team. Other than great games, I would demand less mistakes in the defence. I would demand better dicipline, I would demand better accuracy on shot-on-goal! But I would not go as far to say the team is mediocre, much less, that it sucks.
    If I were an Argentine or Brazilian, then yeah, I would expect more from the national team. But face it, this is Ecuador and the sport is still developing. It's a country that is in it's baby-step years as far as football is concerned.

There still is no good youth program (outside several clubs) and there still aren't quality coaching schools and the population of Ecuador, is not as large as that of Argentina or Brazil...very, very small and pickins' are gonna be slim.

At this point in time, Ecuador is where it should be. Could be better, true...but it could be much worse. I don't believe them to be far behind many other countries, but until talent can be developed through schools, coaches can have tactics and playmaking abilities and an academic backround that can provide this, Ecuador is lucky to be this good.

As I said before, just because you have to win and play all out to win, doesn't mean you will. Ecuador played to win, and failed. I said they had talent, but that doesn't mean I am claiming them to be world class either. No one is doubting your love for the team, but if you want to keep it real, like you said, you should not only focus on the negative, that would be to easy.

This doesn't mean I am blind and I don't believe changes need to be made. Of course they do, my other posts go into the very detail of it. You are right. Ecuador needs to learn to win outside Quito. Ecaudor needs to learn to not lose it's nerve. But that hardly means that they suck.

As I said, the prior ten games, we can't look at the past and say it is why Ecuador failed during this Copa America. The mistakes of today, are not the mistakes of yesterday. Sloppy finishing, loss of concentration in the defence, poor coaching tactics...these are the issues of today.

They played a good game, but it still wasn't enough;
    Chile played for 20 minutes and Ecuador fell asleep - they scored on the 80th and 85th minute.
    Mexico took advantage of two sloppy defensive mistakes and scored twice.
    And Brazil, they sat back and defended for 90 minutes and got a lucky penalty call.

Ecuador scored 3 goals in 3 games. They missed the net a couple of times when they shouldn't have and Mora screwed the pooch. Suarez did not make the proper changes and there wasn't a real leader on the pitch to change a game like Kaviedes or Salas have done in the past. Once again, I cannot say that because of this, Ecuador sucks.

17. LongLiveThe80's

Manchester United
    Jun 8, 2006
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well.....what's done is done. I guess all we have to look forward to is World Cup Qualifiers. I would like to atleast see something built on what has already been created. We are pretty much unbeatable at home. I would like to see a continuation of that and a some victories or ties outside of home. That would be a big step in the right direction.

18. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005

I'm still triping over how some Ecuadogs think out NT have not talent.

OUr players suck?

I love experimenting with drugs only to reach certain plaines of higher existance.
    Whatever you are smoking please tell me what it is! So that I never touch that crap.

Give credit where credit is due. These guys did alright. A few mistakes here and there but overall, despite that fact we did not get the results that we wanted, our beautiful NT played good.

Suarez mucked it up big time. He offered no guidance whatsoever. Our team had the skill, talent and strength but not the guidance.

This was Suarez' failure.

We finished last in the group for fcuk's sake!

Telling you, I hit the bottle. I went down Jameson style. It will be better soon. I hope to the our Inca Gods that we fire Suarez.

19. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    Till the next tournament, see you around my Ecuadorian NT

20. Ecua_Man

Ecua_Man New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Hackensack, NJ

I liked this. Specially the part about praying to our Inca gods for Suarez' departure. I also think he messed it up big time for our team. With a better coach they would have made it to the second round easily. You're going to tell me Chile has a better team than us? Uruguay? Venezuela? come on! Ecuador should have been in the next round before these teams. But the games are played on the field and that's where the coach offered no help. Also, with a couple of breaks the story could have been different. If Valencia's kick that hit the pole against Chile would have gone in, that would have made it 3-1 and the story would have been different. So, I'm disappointed but not discouraged. On the contrary, I see a team with tremendous potential that needs a good coach that can tap on that potential. Cheer up my fellow ecuas, we have a very good team that other countries will have to respect for years to come.

21. LongLiveThe80's

Manchester United
    Jun 8, 2006
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK OK....maybe I've been a little too tough on our players, but man did they dissapoint! When will they day come when we can count on them to play to their full potential? That's what I'm talking about! When can we finally see a team that doesn't let down as only we seem to do? I am str8 tired of that! That's all I'm saying.