News: EC 2024 Germany: A Wurst-case Scenario for Their Opponents!

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Dage, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Soccer93

Soccer93 Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jun 14, 2021
    It’s actually insane how the DFB never learns.

We have been trying to push this false 9 bs for over a decade and it never works. Honestly Fullkrug should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Ger90, BorisG and BVBFNM repped this.
  2. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Füllkrug has delivered each and every time he's played for the NT, yet for the second head coach in a row he's somehow deemed not good enough to be the starting CF.

How the fvck can Nagelsmann not see that Füllkrug's very presence has been the thing that has unlocked stubborn defences time and time again, or at the very least has made the scoring chances count?

saj7866, Alex C, Ger90 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    l can actually see Fulkrug being played more as the tourney progresses, even in partnership with havertz

saj7866, Ger90 and BVBFNM repped this.
  4. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And yes - we mentioned it a 1000 times - in these tourneys you don’t need worlds top 3 strikers in your team ( actually there aren’t that many around ) if you have a decent striker which Fulkrug is these tourneys have often shown ist good enough .

And in the group stage against the teams we play I would say Fulkrug would add
    More dimensions to the team that we need . Once
    We play teams like Spain and France then it makes more sense to play our current starting line up as the opponents play differently style.

saj7866, BVBFNM and Ger90 repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I mean reality Germany has been stupid as ******** when it comes to CFs since post WC06.

I 100% believe that Low was never excessively high on Miroslav Klose.

what makes me think this is
    who recalls that after WC06, Low tried to push Gomez, Kuranyi, Cacau, etc to OVERTAKE Klose. But EVERY SINGLE TIME, it didn't work out and Klose always ended up as our #9. Even back in WC14, when Klose was fit and ready for XI, Low was still balking and trying to avoid playing him in XI. Recall media asking him is he gonna play Klose etc and he only did after realizing that the attack wasn't working well without a real CF........

to me its nuts how we treat our CFs.
    imagine Klose is Germany's All Time Scorer but our coaches have tried to shove him aside for almost 10 years, LULZ.

always felt its because Klose wasn't amazing, was good but nothing amazing at club level. And that's what pushes those bench him for others TEMPTATION. I do recall that he did get critized by media............who cares, he always delievered in NT. One should take that as more important that whatever one does at club.

Klose had WC02-WC06 that boosted him. Fullkrug has nothing even though he's very effective both in XI and as a sub.......although he was our BEST player in WC22 and made all difference in world but Flick REFUSED to play him in XI and Nagelsmann continued that trend.

then we get German media, DFB, coaches etc, bitching where are the CFs???......these coaches are just dumb as ********, LOL.

when the next gen CFs emerge as options and there is a wave of next gen CFs emerging. I'm gonna LMAO if we continue to play false 9 even then, LULZ.

BorisG, Barlach, saj7866 and 2 others repped this.
  6. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I would argue that Füllkrug is even better now because when he made his debut in the 2022 World Cup he didn't have any international experience at club level, but this time around he's fresh off a deep CL run.

saj7866 repped this.
  7. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I didn't click several articles but from the headlines it seems that Füllkrug has a minor knock which doesn't help his case. I don't think he would start if fully fit though..

8. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just hope using Havertz as the 9 doesn't come back and Haunt us again!

BVBFNM repped this.
  9. Wolfgang75

Wolfgang75 Member

VfB Stuttgart
    Germany
    Jun 11, 2022
    Exactly. I prefer Füllkrug as our no. 9, but there is no good reason to start someone who’s hurt over someone who is healthy. I would hope they play him against Switzerland in the last game, but we will see.

BVBFNM repped this.
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #35 Ger90, Jun 13, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    LOL, our captain Gundo.
    "It makes me all the more proud to lead Germany onto the pitch as the first captain with a migration background at a major tournament. I am able to lead a team that is special because it is shaped by so many different cultures and countries. These are exactly the factors that will make us as the German national team strong in 2024: diversity and the influence of different cultures."

Kahn (captain for WC 02-EC04) has Latvian descent and its been said that Ballack (Captain for WC06-EC08) has Sorbian roots.

STFU and focus on footy, you've been garbage in XI for months now too.

nobody gives a shit about diversity, its about performances.

Alex C, BorisG, BVBFNM and 1 other person repped this.
  11. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Is there going to be a match thread for the opening match vs Scotland or not?

12. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey Good luck everyone , go Germany GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Will be on an overnight flight to Germnay from Namibia tonight - will try the onboard FlyNET , hopefully can stream the game on my flight . Probably wont be very active this tourney on here espcially the first three weeks - which I will really miss as it really has become part of the way I follow German Football for the last 15 years.. WOW been on here for 15 years since 2009. Thanks Evryone for all the great posts and insights and opnions .

Germany better win their group as I have tickets for the round of 16 and the best would be if England come second in their group then I will have my dream game -GERENG

Any of you that have tickets ...

13. Germanyfan1993

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jun 17, 2018
    I’m leaving for Germany on Sunday and will be attending the Switzerland Game. I’ll share pics when I am back.

Wolfgang75, Barlach, Alex C and 2 others repped this.
  14. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    excellent enjoy

15. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you want one, feel free to open a thread. It will be closed the day after though

16. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Jitty Slitter and Stanislaw repped this.
  17. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep. Let's back the team 100% no matter who plays.

We should refrain from being critical of individuals. As mistakes are part and parcel of football.

BVBFNM and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  18. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    mhh not sure we need one

19. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It worked pretty well in '14! Of course Germany had peak Mueller and Mario G then.

What I liked in that tourney was Germany had different ways to play - especially given that Klose couldn't manage full games - and the false 9 ultimately won the world cup!

Hopefully we can give this topic a rest now.

Nagelsmann has been pretty clear what is his first line, and what is his changeup line - so let's see what happens

I am much more worried about Neuer to be honest.

BVBFNM and saj7866 repped this.
  20. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #45 Alex C, Jun 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    False 9 didn't really work in 14, we played way better once Klose started v France, Brazil and Argentina. Before that we looked very iffy against Ghana & Algeria. Literally everyone was saying how we needed a focal point and Gotze wasn't being properly utilised.

Quite simply it's a system that doesn't work for us, and if we ever want to win anything again we need to bin it for good. Luckily we now have enough CF's available and several others coming up to mean it shouldn't be a problem moving forwards, and there is no good excuse for Nagelsmann or any other future Bundestrainer to not use a proper 9.

BVBFNM and saj7866 repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's a bit selective. Germany scored 4 in the opener vs Portugal. I agree the Ghana game was bad, but the main problems were in midfield - things came together for France when the power midfield of Schweini Khedira and Kroos was finally fit and available

Remember Sami K tore his cruciate in Nov 2013 and Germany just never looked the same without him

saj7866 repped this.
  22. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh I agree that it wasn't the only issue, however we did not function well with a false 9 on the whole and Gotze got a lot of (somewhat unfair) criticism. Just look back at the threads on here from those matches.

So I don't think anyone can say false 9 worked pretty well in 2014, we just about got away with it before realising we weren't going much further unless we switched away from it. We won mainly due to having an outstanding core group of players, and once they were all fit and Low stopped trying to be too clever we were a very tough team to beat.

saj7866 repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think the '14 team could also play a lot of different ways. The final was eventually won with Schuurle at wing and Ozil at 10 after a very poor start with the late Khedira loss and then yet another midfield injury.

I hope Nagelsmann will bring that kind of flex!

Alex C and saj7866 repped this.
  24. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep. Naiglesman has to continue to show flexibility if Germany want to do very well.
    He does seem tactically very astute.

As for 14 final. Agree we started really nervously, and agree, khexira was a massive loss. No doubt about it, peak Khedira was world class, and to be honest we've never replaced him.

Alex C repped this.
  25. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree. Our strengths are Musiala kroos wirtz. And definetly a false 9 does not bring the best out of them.

Alex C repped this.