Ebbsfleet United FC: 1 year on under MYFC

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by Michael K., Feb 19, 2009.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

A new thread for EUFC supporters and MYFC members here, since the last one that emerged when MYFC showed up has since descended into oblivion. I know you're out there, BS people.

Feb 19 marks 1 year since the MyFootballclub.co.uk takeover. And overall, it's been a decent year in my eyes (though my own involvement has been pretty limited at times). A trip to Wembley, a WIN at Wembley, the 3700+ attendance for the free cup match recently, holding a spot somewhere around mid-table, wholesale creation of a new culture - part local and part global, part net-based and part community-based...all seem to be very bright spots.

It hasn't all been ideal, of course, but you had to be awfully optimistic (or delusional) to think that there wouldn't be any bumps in the road. We're still lingering too close to the drop, for one. "Pick The Team" is still a dream deferred, and while that's pissed off some (hard to ascertain just how major or minor the vocal contingent on that is) it hasn't really ruffled others - including me. PTT would be fun, interesting even, and maybe will come into play if Daish totally loses the plot on us, but that isn't the case right now. There's lots I'd like to see done yet on a number of fronts. Certainly this is a work in progress.

Most importantly, with renewals sure to come in well under the original 30k mark, there's gonna be a shakeout and everyone knows it. That's gonna pose a major financial challenge, especially in the thick of the global economic shitstorm. But if there's a silver lining to be seen, it's the sense that those who remain (those who weren't so naive as to think MYFC would be buying Leeds or something) stand to have a more cohesive vision of What It's All About as we go forward.

What is it all about, then? For me, the reason why I renewed (for 30 bucks less than it cost last year - thank YOU, strengthening dollar!) is that, despite whatever squabbling goes on, whatever ways it falls short of being the perfect open-source club, it's still the most interesting and engaging way to support local club football on a week to week basis that I know of. Because I for one am so f###ing tired of creepy gazilionnaire arms dealers, oligarchs and private equity cowboys profiteering off the game at its highest level, while MLMers and soda-pushing slimeballs contrive an ersatz "soccer experience" in my own country.
    Better my money, attention, and affection goes to a real team and club down the ladder somewhere else; better we try and build something different, if we can.

I sense that a lot of those who are sticking around for Year 2 (and 3, and 4) are in it to build. And because a year of this has gotten us kinda stuck on the Fleet.

So here we are, one year on. All 3400+ of us in the US, last time I checked - which is pretty incredible if you stop to think about it for a second. I hope to get out to Stonebridge Road sometime in 2009. Until then, the prospect of live streaming for overseas members, starting with the next home match, is awesome. Hopefully it means we can spend more time talking about the action on the field. In a sense, the promise of this club really begins when we get that going.

So yeah, enough with the ranting, on with the thread. Wrexham on Saturday!

2. Giallorossi10

Giallorossi10 New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Im becoming a member for next season for sure..been meaning to do this

3. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    After reading this morning's article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/19/blue-square-premier-ebbsfleet-united-online-future

I ran a search and came up with this thread.

I'm glad to see that you're involved with this Michael K! Please excuse what might sound a patronising tone (not intended)!!! Ebbsfleet does seem the type of blend of the traditional and the contemporary model for a football club you have argued for for quite some time - indeed, years now.

I'm far too partial to Oxford United to support Ebbsfleet financially (and as a member of Clydebank's Supporters Trust, I'm doing something similar, though without the kind of decision making members of MyFootballClub enjoy), but I very much hope you can keep this afloat. The one-year deadline was always the big question mark, wasn't it, even before it was decided what team would be purchased.

I'm curious if any bigsoccer Ebbsfleet supporters kicked in any of that extra 20 GBP for that player transfer and how many would be willing to go beyond the 35 for renewal, should the club's future depend upon member's additional contributions to the cause.

4. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    What a surprise, the godawful idea is going straight down the pan because nobody wants to renew their subscriptions, because they realised there's actually no benefit to it whatsoever.

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now there's a complex thought process at work.

6. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    The club won last year's FA Trophy. There's obviously some "benefit," even if this isn't an investment that will ever pay financial dividends. I think it a really cool idea but all along the question of the annual resubscription has been the big question. I hope they pull it off.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, however I think everyone with the slightest acquaintance with reality could foresee that there was going to be a significant drop-off come renewal time, no matter what. Keeping in mind that some people signed up because they thought MYFC would end up with a bigger club like Leeds or Forest (and they didn't), or that MYFC would end up buying their hometown club (and they didn't), or they signed up solely because of PTT (and it hasn't won enough votes to be used yet.) Then there are probably even a few hundred people who pitched their 35 pounds in when the idea was making the rounds a year and a half ago, and never ever thought about it again. Many of these folks are going to drop off - that was relatively easy to predict early on. The sorry state of the economic world doesn't help, either.

In some ways (as I wrote before) the enterprise really gets going here, as all those who bought in and were disappointed for some reason go away, and we have a core left - hopefully a core that's big enough, and with the right intentions. I'm relatively confident of the latter, and very curious about the former.

Also, while today is a pretty important day, it's not like the member numbers at the end of the day tell all. Of the 30,000+ members as of yesterday, a few thousand of those began their membership sometime after Feb 19, 2008, so there will be a question of how many renewals the club gets on a rolling basis.

8. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    16th in the table doesn't help much, either, I'm sure. Too bad resubscription didn't coincide with Wembley! As you said, paying with USD the 35 GBP is a much better deal this year.

My guess is shareholders will be asked to chip in some extra.

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they can't be "asked" in any kind of coercive way (upping of the fee) without a vote on it. I'm glad they haven't gone the way of tiering the membership (i.e pay more, get more features), because that goes against the egalitarian spirit of one member, one vote. There are already a number of avenues through which members can pitch in a few bucks, from PASE scheme donations to virtual turnstiles, etc.

To me, the test of this is a) building a community of members who buy into a culture of voting on things like kit sponsors and matchday ticket prices - issues that are more consequential in the long-term than who the left back should be on Saturday (these issues are also more appropriate for the wisdom-of-the-crowds idea); and b) fostering that sense of responsibility to the club and the community surrounding it amongst the MYFC members remaining near and far, so they are inclined to pitch $5 or $10 here and there for things like live streaming of games, etc. It's not a big ask individually (for most), but you've got to have a critical mass of people who take part often enough for things to work and eventually grow. There's been an argument made by some along the way that they've "gotten nothing for their 35 pounds." Well, I believe if you were expecting to "get something" in an individual, financial way from this, you misunderstood the point right from the start.

10. Yorkfox

Yorkfox New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am a member of myfootballclub.co.uk and I have renewed for year 2, and year 3 for that matter. Over 1,000 members are already signed up for year 3 which starts in February 2010. Membership numbers will be well down on year 1 for a number of reasons. One is that many of the year 1 members joined up before the connection was made with Ebbsfleet United and they found that EUFC was not for them. Hopefully people who joined after Feb 08 knew the club involved and will be more likely to stick with The Fleet.

Video Clip of the 2008 FA Trophy Final.
    http://www.thefa.com/fatv/microsite...5-83ac-416c-b72d-f1309735ffa6&delivery=stream

11. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    What I can't get my head round is how is the fact that 'only' 8000 people are paying £35 quid into the club such a problem?

Surely that's rougly 250k coming into the club that no other team in the league have? And given that Ebbsfleet's attendances aren't that bad, so gate receipts are roughly par for the league it seems bizzarre that there's finiancial trouble at the club?

Unless there are some kind of serious outgoings for the club to pay I can't work out how it's struggling financially?

It's not like the members who left get their 35 quid back is it?

I was a member but lost interest when John Moules became invovled, had no intention of playing any part in his games.

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club loses a substantial amount of money each month, is the story there.

Who's John Moules and what's he about?

13. Yorkfox

Yorkfox New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    John Moules is the chairman of EUFC. First time I met him was at the ground maintenance weekend last summer when he and his family were busy with paint brushes :)

14. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Just past experiences of John Moules for me...- type his name in on Google and you'll see how popular a man he was when he was conference chairman...

What I still can't get my head round though is how Ebbsfleet's losses per month are so substantially bigger than any other given BSP club? I mean I can appreciate that when you look at the horrific events at Weymouth at the moment other clubs ARE being mis-managed, but when you consider the extra income Ebbsfleet are having, 8,000 people paying £35 quid, FA Trophy final appearance (and possibly again), plus what must have been not far off a million pounds if the 30k original subscription is accurate.

Ebbsfleet's crowd are average for the league and the squad, having seen them this season, is clearly one of the weaker in the league and is surely not one of the better paid?

I just can't see where the money's going? Unless every other conference club just have it much worse and no one knows?

15. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    How much of that £35 actually goes towards G&N, after the MYFC owners have taken their cut?

16. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the operating agreement has the club getting #27.50 of the #35, but don't quote me on that.

17. Yorkfox

Yorkfox New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yes, £27.50 is the figure that is quoted.

All members of MyFC can watch the F.A. Trophy Quarter Final replay tonight, 7.45pm uk, 2.45pm EST LIVE on the website at http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk

18. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty great, by the way. The sooner that overseas live-streaming is up and running, the easier it is for overseas members to actually watch in real time and feel a little more connected to the club.
    It's a shame it wasn't done long before renewal day, but now it's getting there and I'm happy for it.

19. Yorkfox

Yorkfox New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    F.A. Trophy Quarter Final Replay.

Ebbsfleet United 3 Wrexham 1

Semi Final over 2 legs, March 14,21 against Stevenage Borough.

20. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second half was a lot of fun, minus the one hideous backpass by Opinel (and the PK, but that didn't matter in the end anyway so I'll forget about it.) Goals #2 and 3 were rips. Getting to watch live made all the difference, and I'm glad we covered the cost and then some.

21. roca

roca New Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Hi! I'm new to this and the eufc/myfc community.
    But i'm getting into it in a fast pace..
    The part of the game i liked most was the community coming up with 1200 pounds to pay for the live stream.
    That proved the willingness of the community to push forward...
    The result was little over 1400 pounds meaning the first money is in for the next game to be streamed.
    I joined at the feared renewal day.
    What i found was a core of real fans and a community willing to do whatever it takes to get back up again...

22. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
  23. ScouseBill

ScouseBill New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Good luck with the Stirling venture RedWeb. I have renewed my annual subscription with Ebbsfleet United and feel that £35 is well worth the "experience" of being a club owner. I attended a few matches last season and went as a Board Member to the FA Cup match against Crewe Alexander. The result wasn't good but the experience was.
    I support Liverpool myself and seen the two extremes of football in two nights. I watched the Liverpool v Chelsea European Cup game on the Tuesday and the wednesday I went to watch Mansfield Town v Ebbsfleet. Both just as enjoyable as each other but for very different reasons.

24. Yorkfox

Yorkfox New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ebbsfleet United have started the season with 2 draws and 1 defeat in their first 3 games. The team is much changed from last season as Team Coach Liam Daisg has brought in a lot of new young players.

Atrincham 1 Ebbsfleet United 1
    Ebbsfleet United 1 Cambridge United 3
    Ebbsfleet United 0 Kidderminster 0

On Tuesday, The Fleet play at Stevenage Borough.

The Ebbsfleet United website has been relaunched at http://www.ebbsfleetunited.co.uk/

On the website you can see the new shirts.

The home shirt is Red and White, and the change strip is now Yellow and Black.

Members at the myfootballclub website http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/ are currently voting if they wish to extend the coaches contract.

Membership is still available for MyFC , at £35 a year, or £9.50 per quarter.

On the above website, without joining, you can see all the top goals from last season.

Keith H

25. Yorkfox

Yorkfox New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ebbsfleet United got their first win of the season today with a 2-1 win at Eastbourne in the Blue Square Conference. 94th minute winner.

http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk

Are there any MyFC members on here ?