Easy draw or tough draw?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by spoonman, Dec 7, 2005.

1. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What do you rather see at the draw friday, a nice an easy group to get to the second round. Or a few opponents that could take some points and the WC really begins at the first match.

2. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'd go for a tough draw,and most likely we will end up in a tough group anyway with one of the seeded teams.The other two teams will determine whether it's going to be a group of death,but we have a good chance we'll end up being in it.

If we manage to win the whole freakin thing ( which I don't think we will ) I can't think of a better way then to advance from a tough group and then winning all the finals.True World Champion !

3. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Easy group. Meaning easier teams from pots 3 and 4. We have qualified from one of the toughest groups in Europe already(argubly, the World.) If you look at World cup and even Euro Cup Histories, you'll see that, usually, the teams that win it all start off very slow(including us in 88) and then go on to show their World championship form in the playoffs. It would be sweet to win it all from a group of death situation but any team requires luck to win the World cup and I wouldn't mind seeing us getting an early break.

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like Brazil in the group. Wouldn't mind another hard team either.

5. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Brasil and 2 patsies for me, thanks

Say,

Brasil
    Netherlands
    Togo
    Costa Rica

6. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Aaayyyyyyyeeeeeee...... I so agree, I wanna see the Boys from Brazil in our Group.
    That way we wont meet them again until the Semi's or beyond ;)

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We typically have a rubbish first group game, a brilliant second, and a mediocre third, no matter how difficult the group we're in is. I'm almost 100% certain we'll progress out of any group so I'd prefer either a group with top seed Germany (because they're rubbish and I love seeing us thrash them) or Brazil (as we won't see them again until the final).

8. ArnoldVDH

ArnoldVDH New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Behind My PC
    They may seem rubbish, but they also always seem to turn it on when it matters, like Euro 2004 when we looked distinctly poor compared to them.

Even in the recent friendly we managed to throw a 2 - 0 lead away.

And although it was a friendly I do think it was significant, because you can just turn the form key on and off. You can't say "oh well, it was a friendly, so it does not matter, and we'll do better next time".

Euro 2004 shows that.

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We threw a 2-0 lead away after Van Basten replaced our best players. Prior to that the Germans were absolutely nowhere, Robben must have felt like he was playing against a pub team he was given that much space. A 6-1 would have been a fair result, even the Germans were embarrassed at the draw.

Anyway this is a different Germany. Klinsmann, to his credit, is trying to make them play dominant attacking football. They've now found out that they're rubbish at that - while simultaneously being crap in defense. Seriously this time only an easy draw can save Germany.

10. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Easy draws are dangerous (look at ManU in the CL). I'd rather get a group that puts us on our toes straightaway.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm not that bothered myself, I'm pretty confident we'll make it to the second stage no matter what the draw is. I just hope we don't get to play against one of them boring 11 men behind the ball Greece-like outfits, and that we don't get to play in Berlin as that's too far a drive for the orange masses.