Eastern Conference Championship Torrent

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by eneste, Nov 7, 2004.

1. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.

2. jpeace121

jpeace121 New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Excellent. Thanks for the quick turnaround on this, guys. I'll seed for as long as I can after i've finished leeching the file.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I was going to try this from work since we've got a much faster connection than our DSL connection at home, but I completely forgot about the fact that we have a pretty restrictive firewall here.

Is it possible to grab the Torrent from behind a firewall? If not, I'll just start a download tonight after work from home and let it go for as long as it takes.

4. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    you can DL from behind a firewall, but it's usually slow going. When you get home, the torrent should be getting close to being fully propogated, so your DL speeds should be excellent at home.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Cool. I'll wait until tonight.

This rocks.

A quick and hopefully not dumb question - if I burn this to a CD-ROM will I be able to watch this on a DVD player that can handle multiple file formats?

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    it's too big to fit onto a CD. it's 1.4 GB. if you break it up, you could burn it to vcd.

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Cool. Thanks.

8. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So no one can say if it is the FSW or HDNET broadcast?

9. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unfortunately it's the FSW broadcast which was pretty crappy. Including a satellite outage for about 15 seconds (in the first half I believe), don't know if you had that on Comcast or not.

The video is encoded with the open-source xvid codec.

My upload bandwidth is around 35k/sec which is being split with the Western Conference torrent. When I get home from work I'll turn that one off and dedicate it all to this one so it will go much faster, unless someone gets to 100% before 5pm.

10. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Another option down the road, is to break the file into 2 halves. (both under 1 GB I imagine).

Then we could send it via Gmail (1 GB BW).

I was downloading it at home, but I had to pause the download because I had to bring my laptop to work. When I return home, will it resume from where it left off? Or do I have to download the whole thing in one sitting?

11. tanekaberi

tanekaberi New Member

May 29, 2004
    Takoma Park MD
    Quick question,
    I'm new to this so here's my question: If I understood the documentation correctly if I finish downloading and do not close the client it will continue to share the file automatically. This then speeds it up for everyone. So basically I should do nothing but go to work, come home and check the down/upload then. I think I got it.
    Up any road, many thanks.
    Mark

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    That would be correct.

Just leave the downloader/uploader application open, and it speeds it up for everyone else.

13. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It will resume from where it left off.

I thought about breaking it up, didn't think about gmail, good idea, but decided to leave it as a whole and let others break it up as they wish.

14. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there's a bunch of us now seeding the Western Conf. match, so this seems quite safe to do.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Ok, I know the file is too big to fit on CD, but if it was burned to DVD Rom, then it should be playable on DVD players that can recognize the format, right?

16. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorta. It's slightly complicated by the fact that the files are not simply byte-by-byte images of the surface of a DVD, but rather are video files of a particular format that's not the same as the formatting of video on a DVD. So under normal circumstances, if you were to burn a DVD with these files, you'd normally get a DVD that's like a data CD in that you could mount it, browse its folders (if it had any), click on the files to play them in the viewer of your choice, etc. But if you want to take these files and burn them onto a DVD with the intent that you could then play it on any DVD player like a regular DVD, you need software that will encode into DVD format. That's not hard to get, and for all I know the software you already have for burning has that capability. It's just something you need to be aware of.

17. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    dammit! all this trouble. we need to ask cox cable to add a channel where all they show is the eastern conference final 24/7 for the next year.

18. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, if your DVD player plays xvid then you'll have no problem.

BTW, there is a great shot of you, I think it's you at least, during the penalty kicks.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Closing in on 100%!

Probably another hour or so until it's all done.

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm at 3.1% right now. :)

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  22. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ... Give Rep To Eneste! ...

I repped him last night, I think.

At 2pm this afternoon, when I was home for lunch, the download was about 75% done after 15 hours or so. I had uploaded about twice as much as I had downloaded, which I'm told is unusual - I'm working under the assumption that it's because there are more people trying to get it than there are people who have it.

I expect it to be done before I get home tonight. :)

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  24. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider this a plea to all to keep seeding for at least the next two weeks. This afternoon I sent my laptop off to the shop for repairs, and I won't have my baby back until mid next week. :(

I'll rep eneste in the meantime however. :)

25. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States