Earthquakes vs. America at Candlestick Park (9/18/02) PRE-GAME thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ThreeApples, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be heading back to the mid-peninsula and can probably give you a ride. I would like to hook up with other mid-peninsulites to carpool up there as well. Anyone from the Redwood City-San Mateo area who is going and wants to carpool, let me know.

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquakes vs. America at Candlestick Park

Same goes for anyone from this area who needs a lift to 3COM, Candlestick or whatever it is called.

3. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

New Nickname: Place where the Quake subs beat Americas a$$!

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is that abbreviated as: PWTQSBAASS? ;)

5. NO1CXPERT

NO1CXPERT New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    R.W.C. baby!!

what's the plan?(time,where do we meet,etc.)

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Any clues what kind of lineup is going to be out there?

7. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Well, if there was any doubt before the Saturday 9/14 game...now, there's no way we're playing our stars against those hacks, save perhaps for brief cameo sub appearances.

Conway

Ibby - Yallop - Conrad - Kinnear

Russell - Lucci - Johnny Moore - Roner

Barclay - DeRosario

(Johnny should have to play in this game as punishment for getting the Quakes involved... :p )

8. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Would you really like to see Blanco taking out our skipper?!?!

9. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I agree we should use subs but I am glad we are playing America if the Quakes benefit financially.

I wonder if we are allowed to bring in guest players, maybe some Seattle guys.

10. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I'd rather see him take out our skipper, who won't be playing in the MLS playoffs, than any player who we need for the playoffs.

Actually, we should suit up Nolan, Marchment and Ricci to deal with Cuatehack.

11. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Re: Re: Earthquakes vs. America at Candlestick Park (9/18/02) PRE-GAME thread

Plus, he can coach with a cast on better than any player can play with one on.

12. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Earthquakes vs. America at Candlestick Park (9/18/02) PRE-GAME thread

I'll try and find out what Mr. Elcock's been up to lately to see if he's available :).

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said before, to deal with Blanco, we ought to call Denver and ask them to send Pablo. That's the guy that can really get up Quite-a-muck's nose.

14. LucciAficionado

LucciAficionado New Member

May 5, 2002
    Hayward
    I am not to happy that a game, which soul purpose appears to be to generate money, is scheduled so close to an important match by one of our biggest rivals and the team we are tying to beat to stay at the top.

The likelyhood of fans who go to the candlestick game become Quakes fans is very low. Seeing as "America" is a Mexican team the people they are trying to get there are these folks. Even if/when the Quakes win this game these same fans will not convert becaue you beat their team. Sad yet true. Even if these people don't become Quakes but may want to see the Quakes play again they will most likly not want to make the trek out to SJ. Just as many of you don't want to go all the way to SF.

This game should have been at Spartan based on the fact that the America fans will already know where the stadium is at and be familiar with it. Also, be realistic, 61,000 people are not going to attend this game. I am guessing maybe 6,100 will be closer to the actual number.

There are many postives to this game too. The Quakes will be up against a different style of play which will improve there game I hope. Another positve is that the bench warmers will have a chance at playing a good deal of time. I hope Mr. FY is smart enough not to do the normal line-up. That would be a huge mistake.

I know, I am going.

Now my questions: How much are tickets anyway?
    This game counts for what exactly? Is it really just a chance to try to reel in money? I gurantee the exact opposite will happen. How much does it cost to rent out this stadium?

*Some of the questions are rhetorical*

Broccoli
    Dolores

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, damn. I was going to bring my miter, vestments, holy water and rod and have a mass conversion on the center line at half time. Curses, foiled again.
    Signed,
    The Bishop

16. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    Haha, this reminds me of the time Cynthia from "The Real World: Miami" saying "ya'll goin to hell..YA"ll going to hell."

I totally think that this is a great opportunity for those that live in SF to check out a game. We'll probably have a crowd bigger then we expected I know that.

My thing is that, some of you are totally seeing it wrong. It's all karma. If you hope or claim to know that it's gonna suck, it will.

All I got to say is: PUT LUCCI, CHRIS, DEVIN, JON, AND DERO IN!!!!!

TRANSFORM
    MARI

17. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Uh.... do the math. The average ticket price is about $30. Even if only 10K show - and I think that is only 1/4 of what will actually show, that's $300K.

Now, for the sake of argument, let's say that it costs $100K to rent out Candlestick. That would be the same amount as renting out the Meadowlands, or so I was told by somebody on the club quake bus whose name I cannot remember. Also, if this is like other sports deals, Club America probably signed up for a percentage of gate receipts, although we're completely in the dark on that one. In any case, I doubt they get over 50%. Assuming a max of 50%, that would leave America with $150K. So, after subtracting expenses, the Earthquakes are left with *at least* $50K, which means that Chris Roner can play one more year for the Quakes :mad:)

I guarantee you there will be far more than 10K at this one. I think a very safe assumption would be 30K, in which case total gate receipts are probably around $900K. After subtracting expenses that I admittedly pulled out of my ass, that leaves the quakes with at least $350K, which is not a bad night's work.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be laughing my rear end off if any one of those gets in and hat-tricks or even has a couple of goals. Anyway, I can dream!!!!;)

19. TerremotoFan

TerremotoFan New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    San Jose, Ca
    A good yard stick would be the recent Chivas vs Metro Stars game, the crowd there was only 12k. I'll guess 8-10k for our game.

20. LucciAficionado

May 5, 2002
    Hayward
    The most likely person to ccomplish that is Lucci. He has the most skill and abililty of that group. I know I sound biased but I am not his fan for nothing. The least likely person in Devin.

A girl always has the right to dream.

My friend has a dream that they where making out with Jon. Twice. Then they had a dream they where making out with Scott. But, this person can keep dreaming it cause it aint gonna happen, especially since it was one of my guys friends. :)

Broccoli
    Dolores

21. LucciAficionado

May 5, 2002
    Hayward
    whats a better word for come over to or switch? The only word I could think of was convert.

My religion is "San Jose Quakeism". I belive that they are the best and that everyother team is full of crap. Much like Christianity. I think. ;)

22. LucciAficionado

May 5, 2002
    Hayward
    Are you serious? $30. Way to ******* overpriced. That will be another modivating factor as to why people won't want to go. If it was at spartan they could have charged a little more than season tikets and the place at least will look full cause it isn't that big. But an advatage of Candlestick is the bigger field, so it works out I guess. I always have to see something positvie in everything bt in this situation it is hard to find.

I am way pissed cause I want to be as close to the feild as possible, and I have to probably spend 50-60 bucks I am guessing, since you said 30 is the average. I could go buy myself a new outfit with that money. Oh well. If it means seeing Chris and Lucci play I will deal.

I don't think 30k will show up unless they somehow are getting topless dancers as the half-time show.

I tend to rammble... as shown above...

Broccoli
    Dolores

23. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone is taking this thing the wrong way. It is a bit to close to the season closer but is a great chance for all who love soccer to watch 2 championship teams show their stuff. San Fran is not too far if you are a fan. In the old Clash days I remember a lot of blokes used to come down religiously until the Clash started playing terribly.Plus, that's when the Seals were around. SF people didn't want to travel to SJ to see their team lose. Last year in the open cup @ Negoesco their was a lot of SF people genuinely supporting the Quakes and were very happy to have them play in town.

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

West Coast has a larger Mexican fan base than the East Coast but in no way will 30k show up on a Wednesday night with tickets that expensive. The Mexican National Team may draw 30k on a Saturday night but not America. See, the deal is, not all Mexicans will go to see America, in fact most of the Mexicans I know, hate them and would be quite amused to see them lose to the Quakes. Chivas fans would love nothing more than to rub an MLS loss in the face of the Club America fans. It would be like living in Spain as a transplanted American who roots for the SF 49ers. If say the St Louis Rams played a pre-season game against the Barcelona Dragons, you as a 49er fan would not generally go watch the game and you would probably hope that the Rams would lose. You would be like the Chivas and Atlas fans in this situation.

10k-12k tops.

25. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Yallop will not "show his stuff" with the biggest match of the season 3 days away. If he does.....he is not nearly as smart as I thought.