Earthquakes vs. America at Candlestick Park (9/18/02) PRE-GAME thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ThreeApples, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's called the Caltrain!

2. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Earthquakes vs. America at Candlestick Park

IMO, one good showing from the Quakes against CA won't win over/convince Hispanic fans of anything in terms of converting them into Quakes fans. Even if it swayed their opinion enough to make them come to the next Quakes' game in SJ, would they stay a fan if the Quakes lose a top player to injury in the friendly, then lose that next game in SJ? I'd think not.

If the Hispanic fans appreciate the Quakes enough to be fans, they are likely fans already. I'm guessing the percentage of those that could still be persuaded is small and as difficult to convince as those old-school newspaper writers/editors (Art Spander, Glenn Dickey) that think the Quakes are a waste of time.

This game is only a barometer of the Mexican champ vs. the U.S. champ, to earn mucho dinero and to gain exposure--possibly pulling in a few casual fans. To me, that is not a worthwhile risk of the already fragile pins of Agoos and Ekelund nor any of the other lads.

If you're REALLY a Quakes fan and you feel this is a good thing, play Devil's Advocate for a moment and ask yourself--would your opinion change if our team emerges from that game with a badly injured Ekelund, Mulrooney, Agoos??? I, for one, would be heartsick to know that one of our primetimers was going to miss the playoffs just to win a few casual fans.

I applaude the efforts of the front office to broaden our fan base. It's the timing that kills me.

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. Little bit more positive folks.

And I didn't realize that Blanco plays for Club America. Any chance we can call Denver and borrow Pablo for a day or two? :)

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fat chance you'll ever get a soccer game (let alone a gridiron ball game) in PacBell.

5. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Earthquakes vs. America at Candlestick Park

The baseball players are still seething over the San Francisco Demons XFL club playing at PacBell.

While the soccer experiment was tested in Seattle and Phoenix, I don't think it will be in San Francisco.

Candlestick, Kezar, or Negosco Stadium are the only places for the Quakes to play in San Fran.

6. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI

The quakes better not leave spartan

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

who said they're leaving spartan?

8. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI

ppl have been sayin they might go to seattle for some reason

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > The baseball players are still seething over the
    > San Francisco Demons XFL club playing at PacBell

Another reason to love the XFL.

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

people say a lot of crap on these boards.

11. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI

i know i dont listen to them i heard it somewhere else i cant remember where though

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, there are all kinds of rumors like that. BTW, to anyone going to the Sept. 18 game against Club America, what's best for Candlestick, fur coats, down jackets, or full kit for climbing the Himalayas? And, as far as the worries about playing this game, if my leader Frank Yallop signs on to it, I'm all for it. Now if someone twisted his arm to make him say the Quakes gotta play there, that's another thing. :)

13. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Other then generating some income for the Quakes, this whole thing sucks.

This game isn't even in SJ, therefore Quakes fans will make up a very small percentage of those in attendence.
    This game isn't going to bring out or convert anyone to Quakes fans, as our team isn't going to put out 110% effort.
    This game means more to C.A. as they will have "home field advantage", plus there was that WC embrassment they have got to fix.
    And yes 3 days later we have to face our biggest rival, even in the mello first half one of our key players could go down. Why risk it.

This match could have been scheduled for after the MLS season, and it would have generated the same amount of money, and the same amount of media attention.

14. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco

Actually, Sept. and Oct. are the best months weather wise in SF. However, since the match is at 8:00 and at Candlestick it would be a good idea to bring a coat. I don't think it will be as cold as the Champions Cup match in Sacramento.

15. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to make it, but I'd rather see the game at PacBell. F the baseball players. They aren't going to use it in September. PacBell is so much easier to get to.

Bad timing. Pretty much all the reasons against having the game on that particular date has been stated. A friendly during the season isn't that bad, but in the final stretch into the playoffs, no. It would be nice to see Blanco getting knocked on his ass.

It'll be windy, take that into consideration.

16. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Is Club Quake going to get a block of tix so we can all sit together? If not, what section will be the Casbah?

robert

17. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random takes

Given that it will be at the Stick and that most of the Mission and Daly City will come out of the woodwork for this game, we need to plot a section since it's going to be the Masoleum NorCal style.

I'm wondering if this game, in addition to being aimed at filling the pockets of Anschutz, is also done as a test venue for the 2012 Bid. A hoops friendly was held at the New Oakland Arena for that same reason.

If I remember, Candlestick (or the new variant of that venue) is proposed to hold some of the soccer events.

Spartan (or a variant thereof) is proposed for not soccer, but field hockey if the Bay Area gets the 2012 Games.

18. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    You better hope not. In case you didn't notice, City got smacked without mercy in Mexico not long ago. You think that America is going to play soft on the sitting MLS champion?

The Burn's first year featured a game vs. Chivas. Dir did not want to play it, and they put up a first 11 that was not, and "saved" much of their first 11 for the league games coming up.

They have paid dearly for it at the box office.

It has taken 7 years for the Burn to regain credibility with Mexican fans after getting beaten 5-0 or 5-1, I can't remember which. The worst thing Quakes could do, would be to NOT player their first 11 and then lose.

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Said the man whose team is two points behind the leaders. I'm sure you would like nothing better than to have one of our starters go down for the rest of the season after being hacked by a mexican player. Or see our team waste its energy on a worthless match just before we play the galaxatives for home field advantage. No thanks, well play our reserves and maybe some of the security guards because that's all that this game deserves.

20. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Just remember, in his world, that the Burn wouldn't really be two points behind us, if only they never had to play us or LA... :)

21. Turcs

Turcs Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Wake Forest, NC
    We need a volunteer to research this and get on it. Anyone? Bueller... anyone?

Mike

22. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to give the Viking the benefit of the doubt on this one. While there is the tendency for any team to lay back on a friendly, to give the fans of Mexican soccer a chance to show that MLS is competitive to their eyes, it might be wise to try to field the best team possible. The trick is what to do while preventing a key player from getting hurt.

It's a catch-22 dilemma. Does the team in the thick of a playoff race go for the top dollar and put together an exciting game or do they hold back and play a mix of the stars and bench players?

The best I can say is we'll see. It's been debated in mostly every board and thread.

------
    The South Side of Candlestick (formerly the home plate side) or the North (formerly left field) might be the best place for the Quakes fans to hang out. I would avoid anywhere in the upper deck at all costs.

Scarves and jackets will come in handy.

23. carlov

carlov New Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose California

I do not think is worth to play this game 1) credibility of the team (we do not have to prove anything to anybody) 2) If we loose, Mexican fans will never support the team, 3) If we win, mexican fans will say " we got lucky" or " you played against the b team, 4) we are putting at risk our players (as is, we do not have enough player for MLS comptetition) 5) we are ready to finish regular season and we want to re-peat, 6) just a small amount of money will be for the quakes (I think), 7) togh game 2 days before last home game vs LA, 8) we need more rest for playoffs, I can give you more but at the end I think is not worthed, I'm mexican, America's supporter when I was young but now.....I support the MLS y my team.

Go Quakes!

24. asdf

asdf New Member

Mar 1, 1999
    " This thing stinks!!!

First off, I'm not going to San Francisco to watch the San Jose Earthquakes on a Wednesday night. I simply can't. Especially not that day. So this will be the first Quakes game I have missed since the pre-season game against the Galaxy. Sucketh!

Second, if this game is supposed to get more fans out to the games, that's ridiculous! There are plenty of fans closer to San Jose. These are the fans we need to work on attracting. They are the ones that will be more likely to come to more of the games at Spartan."

--------

I can't blame you for not going, but don't be so parochial. I live in SF and get down to SJ for games and don't complain about it. Keep in mind MLS would have contracted the Quakes this year if it were not for the fact that MLS needs a team in the Bay Area market, not the SJ market who no one nationally or in the media/advertising business really care about.

25. Quakesfreak

Quakesfreak New Member

Jul 13, 2001
    CA

i'm totally agreeing with you asdf. we're obviosuly called the San Jose Earthquakes for a reason and not that there's anything wrong with playing in San Fransico for a little friendly match, but i know for a fact that that's certainly not the way to attract more fans, maybe some more(hopefully), but i wouldn't expect too many. Besides, i would assume san jose having a much, much larger hispanic community with fans who might want to see a native team.

Also, i know that i won't be making it to this game, many reasons being a factor...but setting being the main reason and the fact that well, sadly, i don't have a ride and really don't feel like asking anybody for one..especially when it's to see the SAN JOSE Earthquakes. Now, I love my Quakes to death and support them through anything, but come on, let's welcome teams from abroad to our HOME STADIUM no matter how many flaws people might think it has.