Earthquakes to break ground on new training complex

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by athletics68, Jan 27, 2010.

1. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    To derby or not to derby, that is the question.
    I think the problem with MLS is that with no promotion/relegation and the centralized system it has total control over exactly who gets to be in the MLS. Not to denounce any of these things as a bad thing, but when we end up with local derby's it is because they planned it that way. However, manufacturing rivalries isn't as favourable as exploiting naturally formed rivalries. That's why adding the Timbers and Whitecaps shortly after Seattle was such a smart move. The issue then is that when the MLS tries to add a derby type rivalry, they are also potentially cutting part of the existing team's potential fan base, which is particularly true for MLS where the sport is growing in popularity. With so many unconverted potential fans, how might an owner feel about the league deciding to install a rival to those potential fans' hearts and wallets arbitrarily in your area. On the one hand you might like the possibility of igniting greater passion and popularity for your team with the presence of a local rival, but on the other is the dividing of potential fan bases. Outside of the MLS, teams can only challenge their local rivals in the top-divisions so long as there is adequate support for both teams in the same area to keep their operations economically sustainable. In actuality the sustainment of top-flight economically self-sufficient intra-city rivalries are pretty rare. More often than not, there is only enough money in the system for one team to be a regular top-flight team while their intra-city rivals would be lucky to yo-yo in and out of the top, more likely only to make brief appearances, if ever, in the 1st div.
    Considering how even the most successful MLS teams are reliant upon the rest to remain afloat, the MLS's main concern with where to expand must absolutely be long term sustainability. In markets where soccer wouldn't be popular enough to draw sustained crowds or local tv viewing, a team would surely be doomed in the long run, lest it pull up stakes and move to a more accommodating city. However, in order for the more successful clubs to keep their business going, they need the competition to be fairly stable. If MLS teams started to fail, there could be a domino effect in the worst case, or otherwise, a dramatic setback in the progress to a fully profitable league.

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about we get back on topic, ie discussion of the training complex and it's progress?

...and if people want to have a thread that's NQR regarding NASL & USL, go for it.

3. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe there should be a match with these guys on a team: Pele, 69; Franz Beckenbauer, 64; Vladislav Bogicevic, 59; Carlos Alberto Torres, 65 and Giorgio Chinaglia, 63. Might be a good one and it would give falvo a healthy dose of nostalgia smoke.

4. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Everything that is to be said about the training complex has been said.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Until the construction begins..........

6. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007
    That's not true... I heard that the guy that just bought the Cosmos brand name has already broken ground on a new training facility for the team and that his facility is going to be way bay than the one Lew Wolff is building for us. He isn't trying to do it on the cheap and is spending at least as much as the other MLS sides have spent on their training fields. In addition he is making sure that it has seating on all four side and he also included a single luxury box for the guys at Studio 54. Lew Wolff is such a cheapskate. I am so freaking jealous.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that the new Cosmos have already bought out the rest of the teams in the MLS and intend to turn all MLS sides into feeder programs for themselves including LA. They've already transferred Beckham's contract and everything. They've even had Donovan mailed back to the US via Media Mail as punishment for thinking he could play in Europe.

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way!! We haven't discussed the drainage system yet!

There has to be good drainage so that the field does not become waterlogged during the rainy season! Are they going to raise the practice pitch a little and run PVC pipes under it? with lots of holes in them to collect the water and then drain it off the side somewhere?

Maybe they will put layers of gravel on the bottom, then sand, then dirt under the turf. That way it can just drain naturally. Or will Lew and company spring for pumps to pump the water out?

I need to know!!! :eek:

Go Quakes!! :D
    Train like champions!!

- Mark

9. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I think in most years San Jose isn't exactly an environment that would test the meddle of a pretty ordinary modern sporting pitch drainage system. Especially since even in an especially wet year, most of that rain will be falling during the off-season with last hurrah's in march, but for most of the year, we'll probably have the opposite concern, keeping the soil moist. There is very little rainfall in the months when the quakes absolutely need to train there (during the regular season).

If Doyle has them install the grass ontop of a thick clay bed, then we should have every right to make him sit in the corner with the dunce cap on. But if we don't have a technological marvel of a drainage system, I wouldn't make a fuss, so long as we have an effective one for our dry climate.

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, that's "test the mettle." Also, I was joking about the drainage system. I was being absurd. It was my intention to make people laugh. Guess I missed the boat on that. And yeah, it should have decent drainage, but it shouldn't be a critical issue. And we should assume some preseason practicing too, you know, late January to March? End of season sessions in October and November? So there will be some rain. But any half way competent landscaper can put in a decent drainage system.

Go Quakes!! :D
    Practice like Champions!!

- Mark

11. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I guess we have to put up those smilies all the time. Is there a smiley for irony, a smiley for sarcasm, and/or a smiley for facetiousness?

12. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007
    We also haven't yet discussed the kind of turf that they are going to put down on the pitch. What do you think they will use, Bent, Bermuda, Rye or even Zoysia. Perhaps they use the hybrid of Kentucky Bluegrass and Northern California Sensimilla that was developed by Carl Spackler.

13. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was announced in one of the articles I think. Some variety of Bermuda.

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I heard they were going to plant Humboldt County sensimilla...

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and then Beerking immediately signed on as a groundskeeper.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dudes!!!

That's sInsemilla. sin > without. semilla > seeds. Thus sinsemilla. Come on now!

Interestingly, a small Mexican town in what is now southern New Mexico picked up and moved stakes following the 1848 cession of much of New Mexico to the USA. They called their new town: La Semilla. Then some years later when the USA bought the Gadsden Purchase territory from Mexico, the people of the town decided that it was both too far and too much bother to move again. So they stayed put and are in New Mexico, just south of Las Cruces.

Happily, our New Training Center is right new the future home of our new stadium, in sunny San José, and not in New Mexico. ;)

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

17. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna save money on that? "All I can say is...ShamWow!"

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Morgan Hill Times article

It wouldn't hurt to do both. More room and probably a lot less cost in Morgan Hill, and still have a practice field near the stadium could be a good idea.

Of course, there are some errors in the article, like a caption under one of the photos that says we are the newest team in the league. :rolleyes:

Go Quakes!! :eek:
    Train like Champions!!

- Mark

19. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be Morgan Hill (or at least MH Times) attempts to isolate from SJ a bit? Maybe the physical and $$ presence of the Quakes down there would help change this.

20. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we are talking grass. I happened to have to be at Santa Clara University last Sunday. The gate at BS was open. I snapped this on my phone. Pitch looks great. Some people will be pleased to see that the pro style goals are in.

Hope this works. I've never tried show a picture.

[​IMG]

21. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  23. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a beautiful thing!

24. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    OR maybe Morgan Hill will be where our academy will be located and since things are still in the works not much can be said about it. That's just my guess.

25. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to go to Lowes today so I went by the site and took some pictures. Lots of changes. About 4x the amount of space has been cleared. Looks much better.

[​IMG]