Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) pregame thread

For some reason, I just don't think our defense is going to have any trouble handling Magee. I'm more worried about Eddie Gaven.

2. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Re: Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) pregame thread

Magee has 7 goals and 2 assists as a rookie. He is one of those sneaky players who seems to know where to be to get an easy shot on goal. His game-tying goal this past Sunday is a classic example. Out of nowhere, he slips behind the defense for a glancing header into goal.

If it weren't for Damani, Magee and Clark would be the front runners for ROY.

3. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca

behind Dunivant of course....

4. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    let's also not forget that there may be more at stake depending on the outcome of the crapid-fire match on wednesday. we could theoretically be celebrating homefield advantage throught the entire playoffs!

5. spudboy

spudboy New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    san jose

Quote: ..do many youth leagues play on Sundays as opposed to on Saturdays?

CYSA Recreation leagues do not usually play Sundays except at the end of the season for one final mini tournament (just prior to Thanksgiving). The Comp & Select teams do occasionally play on a few Sundays. Tournaments are held on the last wkend of the month and do play Sundays.

6. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Corrales most likely out for Sunday, who will we see at left mid?

7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Russell or Lagos, God help us:(

----------Onstad-----------
    Roner--Agoos--Waibel--Dunivant
    Russell--Ekelund--Mulrooney--Mullan
    ------Donovan-----DeRosario--

I don't worry about Dunivant in the back and Roner has improved each game so that's not too much of a concern. Waibel can fill the middle OK but it's Agoos and his health that bother me. He came out of the Dallas match early and looked to be in some pain so his status is important. As to the midfield, I think I'd start Lagos and have Russell sub him out in the 60th. minute as that seems to be his limit. Russell is a step faster and could add a spark late but it would be better if Corrales was healthy. Alvarez and Walker won't start but make fresh legs and speed a plus as subs. Still, without Mathis and Williams we should be able to take this match to the Metros and come out on top.

8. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He reportedly came out because of cramps, and was taken out as a precaution to prevent injury. Hopefully that's true, if so he should be fine for Sunday. It's an absolute must to have either he or Dyak in the middle to keep the defence organized. Preferably both.

9. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 free tix to see the Quakes stomp the Scum. Season ticket holders section, near the 40, about 13 rows up. PM me if you're interested. & can pick 'em up / meet me in SF.

10. graziefan

graziefan New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    ride from SF to Sunday's game?

Anyone making the drive down? I have a ticket and no ride. UGH. Can anyone help??

11. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also - I have 2 tix I need to get rid of. Please PM me if you're interested - they are free.

12. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    ride from SF to Sunday's game?

I'll drive from SF - but I'll go early to catch Club Quake pregame tailgate (leaving SF at 9:30am)

13. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    crapids-fire draw at 1's...Quakes go into sunday's match 10 clear with only 4 games left to go...if my maths are correct, as i am an english major here, methinks that means a W at the weekend is very nice news indeed!

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for working on that. My math is even worse. I just got through watching the C-C game and was wondering myself how that would place us; each of them only getting one pernt.

15. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Quakes 49
    Fire 44
    cRapids 39

With 4 games left, the maximum number of points the Fire can accumulate is 12 + 44 = 56
    Quakes' magic number for capturing Supporters' Shield = 56 - 49 + 1 = 8

With 4 games left, the maximum number of points the cRapids can accumulate is 12 + 39 = 51
    Quakes' magic number for capturing Western Conference #1 seed = 51 - 49 + 1 = 3

I believe that both teams would win any tie-breakers with the Quakes based on head-to-head results.

A win by the Quakes on Sunday decreases both magic numbers by 3, so yes, that would be "good news" indeed.

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes could have the division wrapped up before Sunday, if KC beats Colorado on Saturday.

17. calcio tifosi

calcio tifosi New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Sacramento
    FUN WITH NUMBERS

Colorado and Chicago took a lot of pressure off of us last night....at least for this match. With 4 matches remaining the Quakes magic numbers are 3 and 8. Three points and we WIN the West...that's three points missed by the Rapids and/or won by the Quakes! So if they get hot and win 3 and draw one and all we do is draw one and lose 3...we're Western Champs! The more challenging but still likely scenario is the 8 points with Chicago for the Shield: ANY COMBO of 8 points...IE: A pair of draws for CHI and SJ this weekend knocks the magic number down to 5!!!! With 3 weeks to go! A win by SJ means a magic # of 5 without considering CHitown's result...if they lose? knock off another 3 points! down to 2 (for example).

So yeah, a couple wins (55 pts!) makes it well nigh impossible for the Fire to catch us...they could go 3 wins and a draw AND fall short...54 pts...

I hope what this really means is some rest for our best and a great debut for Rodrigo Faria!!!! GO 'QUAKES!!!

18. calcio tifosi

calcio tifosi New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Sacramento
    FUN WITH NUMBERS and the METS

YEAH I'M THE NEWBIE....didn't see the other dissertations on MAGIC NUMBERS (BIG HOMER: DOAH!).

Well, I will enjoy seeing yet another NEW line-up strive for success and REACH it! Who will be in the midfield for Corrales? Do you start Lagos? Any defenders coming back yet? Knowing Jamil Walker needs experience, do you consider shuffling around your midfield and striker roles if you want to bring on Faria but leave Donovan or De Ro out there awhile....I sort of expect NY/NJ to play defense and look for the counter which plays well into our currently in form strategy....less scoring but certainly SJ should dictate play...I don't think the Mets want to get into a slugfest with us...how boring can they make it having seen what happens when KC and Dallas pushed forward or tried to offside trap us.....

See you in the CASBAH!

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    CRAP! It looks like our friend Gus St.Silva will be the referee for our match on Sunday. Card happy and whistle prone are not a good combination for an official and this guy is one of the worst in a bad bunch. I hope I'm wrong but this guy has a record of screwing up games with his incompetence.

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, BK, you're always the bearer of bad news. :) Maybe we should talk to Guy and get his father out here, put him in a referee's suit out near the field and confuse St. Silva into thinking his double has arrived. :D

21. dk_dynamite

dk_dynamite New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    SF via London
    Need tix for sunday??

I got 4 extra epicenter seats for Sundays game in row 18. Send me a PM if you are interested..

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, in the past couple of months, my respect for Eric Wynalda has gone up a number of notches.

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always had a great amount of admiration and respect for Waldo, even when I was back home as a working journalist covering the Quakes and MLS. And if I was there now, I'd tell him so (as per his recent exploits on ESPN).

I'm not surprised that he's flowed into his position as a TV analyst as easily as he has-- like swans to bread crumbs, really. :)

Looking forward to seeing the game live on Monday morning here, and listening to Wynalda's comments as well.

Last time these teams played, at the Meadowlands, it was 4-4, and still likely to wind up as the match of the year in MLS.

Won't be like that this time-- that much I can guarantee. I think that Mathis' suspension will hurt the MetroStars a bit, and they could be coming off a midweek hangover following qualifying for the U.S. Open Cup final. Also, factor in having to travel 3,000 miles after a big win, too.

But all things considered, the Quakes are playing far too well right now to be overlooked. Everything is clicking, and everything will continue to click; the chemistry of this team right now is fantastic.

Quakes will win 3-0, with Donovan and DeRosario continuing to score the goals (two for Landon, one more for DeRo).

25. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

This from the guy who tipped Collingwood by 5 goals over Brisbane Lions (in case you missed it, Brisbane Lions by 50 points over the Magpies in the Australian Rules Football Grand Final).

I hope you're better at tipping "our" footy than yours!