Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) pregame thread

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will San Jose prepare for the Shake with the Quakes postgame event by shaking free a win from the visitors?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will New York/New Jersey send the hometown players to greet their fans in a lousy mood?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The Earthquakes handing the season-ticket holders yet another reason to ask happy questions at the Q&A session? The MetroStars stirring up enough discontent for the SJ front-office staff to prepare for some angry inquiries?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Discuss.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

2. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    With the team riding hight after two fantastic wins it's hard to pick against them at this point. I can almost hear Colorado cowering in their boots at the thought of us peaking right now before our final visit to Colorado and heading into the playoffs...

Still Mathis is dangerous and Guevara is quite hot...not to mention their super sub Woly....I see another good crowd 12-14k for this match if by word of mouth alone about howe great this past match was...

3-1 Quakes

Mathis 13
    Donovan 20 (mullan)
    Mullan 35 (Ekelund, DeRo)
    Dero 61 (Mulrooney)

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping we break our "national audience" jinx. So far when we've been on ESPN, we really haven't performed well at all. Time to show our stuff!

4. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    1 pm = 10k, maybe.

[flaming pessimist]Even though we are playing very well offensively as of late, I think we are taking the Metro's attack too lightly. Expect any another goalfest (think 4-4), with Mathis possibly netting the winner late. This one's really a toss up.[/flaming pessimist]

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp While it is a 1pm start, at least it's on a Sunday instead of on a Saturday... do many youth leagues play on Sundays as opposed to on Saturdays? :confused:

-G

6. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Not as many, but there is that thing called American Football.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. :(

-G

8. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    10-11k should still give a good impression next week on camera. And really I don't think we're taking these guys too lightly, just remember that they haven't done too well at Spartan, Mathis or no. So I don't expect to see them as world beaters...

besides they still have 2 more matches against DC in the next week before we play them, meaning they'll have to deal with jet lag as well as being tired after a mid week game...

When you factor that in with Lando and DeRo hitting top gear...it becomes hard not to pick them...besides we'll want that motivation before going to Colorado the week after.

9. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Mathis drew Red today. He wont' be suiting up next week.

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    We won't have to deal with Richie Williams either, he's out on yellow card accumulations. So no Mathis and no Williams:D This won't hurt us much;)
    We'll still have to play sharp soccer in order to beat them but we're on a roll right now so I like our chances.
    Quakes-2
    Metros-1

PS: On a sour note, 1:00pm on a Sunday during American football season, not to mention AYSO and other youth leagues as well, isn't going to help our attendance at all. If we draw 10,000 we should count ourselves lucky.

11. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    come on BK! with Metros on a downward spiral as wee speak and only Clark to enforce in the midfield and only the pole up top with magee or Woly, we should be able to exploit the centre of the field and then kick it out to the flanks...

look for good combination play especially if Dero or donoval can get behind pope...you gotta think without their best attacking threat and a weakened midfield we can put 3 or 4 passed them and onstad can get another clean sheet!

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

What? sjqf will be crushed!

13. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Most of the men's leagues around play on Sundays. Guess I can count myself lucky I tore my ACL. :(

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) pregame thread

You know me so well.

I'm devastated! :( :(

15. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    stupid damn stupid sunday stupid game...i'm gonna have to miss this one. fish.

16. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course everyone knows I'll be there, of course. :D

A possible x-factor for the game will be Metros' Open Cup semifinal Wednesday against DC, which will be their third match against the scum within the span of a week. The Quakes match was scheduled on a Sunday right fromt he beginning of the season, so they do get a bit of rest.

17. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Maybe we can get some 49er fans to come out and support a winner. :D

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) pregame thread

And we had all the ceremony preparations ready, too! :(

19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metros play on Wednesday against DC. They will have played three games against DC in six days and then have to travel across the country to play the Quakes without Mathis.

I expect them to bunker and hope for a counter goal. If we get ahead early, it won't be pretty for the Metros. I expect a 3-0 Quakes victory.

At this moment, my only concern is the health of Agoos, Dayak, and Robinson. We may not be as solid defensively until they get healthy again...

20. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Clearly, then, you're also thrilled about the announcement of the first round playoff match?! (Sunday, 11/9 @ 6pm)

I'm in agreement with all who point out that Metro has to deal with a LOT of games in a short span of time AND a transcontinental flight. Then, no Mathis/Williams. Personally, this last few weeks of watching the other teams play so much on short turnarounds has made me elated that the Quakes got bounced early from the Open Cup. They're getting tons of rest (and avoiding injuries) the other teams have to face. As far as I'm concerned, that was the best thing that could've happened to the Quakes! Given the choice between winning the Open Cup or winning MLS Cup/Supporters' Shield, I'll take the latter (and the new line of 2004 gear with TWO STARS!!)

Quakes, 3-1.

21. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    If I was in Quakes marketing I'd find the money to run daily ads in the Merc and SF Chron with the headlines:

"Q: Which Bay Area football team has been in first place since the first week of their season?"

alternating with

"Q: Which Bay Area football team has already qualified for the playoffs?"

But that's just the sort of immature person I am...

Seriously, I think we could capitalize on our team's
    incredible performance this year to attract some casual fans/front-runners to games. Virtually no one I talk to outside our little circle of hardcore fans, even those that know of the Earthquakes, have any idea what the teams season record is. They are amazed, and impressed, the Quakes have led the league all but several weeks the last three years.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm so glad this game is on ESPN 2 so I don't have to worry about if my Shootout will work or not.

With Guevara coming to town, too bad the give-away isn't towels! Guess everybody could use their Donovan T-shirts like a towel and snap them when Guevara walks by.

23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if Clark and Magee will be here for the Metros for this game? They've been called in to camp for the U-20s which starts on the 5th.

No Mathis, no Williams, no Magee, no Clark...that would be bad for the Metros.

24. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    According to this article:
    http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTY0MzI2NDQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Bradley is planning on starting Clark in the central midfield with Guevara and Eddie Gaven. Magee and Wolyniec will be up top. My guess is given the Metros' suspension problems, U20 coach Rongen will allow Clark and Magee to join the U20 team after Sunday's game.

25. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tanks! That's kinda what I figured. Especially considering the camp is in Carson.