Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by babytiger2001, Oct 5, 2003.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hey, I can beat up a Marine too, as long as they are forced to hold a ball with both their hands and they arn't expecting me to come in and sucker punch them.

This size argument is one of the stupidest things I have seen on BigSoccer, and I frequent the Politics forum so that is saying something.

2. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    Agreed as well...And let me add that Donovan's a little punk for trying to elbow Walker...(he knew what he was trying to do)... I'm really getting sick of him taking out his petty frustrations on the pitch, getting in other players faces, etc...add to that his post game quotes about Walker and Geuver(sp), it really shows a lack of maturity. it's almost as the kid has turned into some sort of loose cannon or something...

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Lord, get some perspective. Has this characterized his play? NO. He does this once and suddenly he's a loose cannon? Man, heaven help me if I have a bad day.

I actually find his post-game quotes amusing..cause you know most of the players feel that way, just don't say it. Just like Wynalda says it like it is, so does Donovan. Immature, perhaps.

Like I said on the other thread, the last time he did this was either U17 or U20, and he admitted it was stupid. So I don't think this is going to turn into a habit. And I actually think Walker will survive.

4. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    I have plenty of persrpeciticve since I've been watching this kid play since he's about 17...he's not done this just once...he's been doing this more frequently over the last couple years, both in club and country...sure he can get frustrated, but physically lashing out at other players is just not on, for any player...period.

5. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    Two things regarding your post:

1- Walker was in camp earlier this season. You have no idea whether or not there is some history there that caused LD to lose his composure. I admit that from the stands I didn't like it. But, first thing I thought was, "is that payback from camp? Could that have something to do with why he wasn't signed?" I don't know, but maybe there is a bigger picture here to which neither of us is privvy.

2- No self-respecting goalkeeper would take a knock like that and roll around like he's just collapsed a lung or something. First thing you're taught as a goalkeeper is to laugh that stuff off and, should the opportunity present itself, give it back double on the next corner kick. Walker should have said "Is that all you've got? My mom's hit me harder." The crap he pulled is normally reserved for sissies like Garlick.

6. JaguarCRO

JaguarCRO New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Sunnyvale,CA

At one of the recent ClubQuake Tailgates Craig Waible came by for an extended visit and I asked him about Johnny Walker. He said that he was not impressed and that he didn't seem to take the tryout seriously. He even let a ball or two slip through his legs and into the goal. I have no idea if there was any anomosity with any of the Earthquakes but obviously at least one of the players and the coaches were not happy with his performance as he wasn't even extended an offer.

Just a semi-related point,

Randy Overbeck

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like it. Your "persrpeciticve" must be coming from the bottom of a wine bottle.

8. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I think they'll take their own share of the blame.

Tactically, the Quakes were predictable - which I'm okay with, seeing as they're the #1 team and playing at home. But Bradley was more crafty. One example: he picked a young team, and they were clearly more (1) motivated and (2) able to cover space in that heat. They used our home field conditions against us.

So we needed to match their freshman hustle, and we needed a gamebreaker - someone to unlock their defense. Frank looked to the bench and brought in Manny Lagos. Not a great choice, IMO.

This is not say we were simply outcoached. I think the players didn't really put it in, they quickly lost their composure and confidence (why else would we refuse to shoot?) And most importantly N.Y. did a great job of quashing our offense.

9. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Walker is a puss, Thornton would have leveled Donovan with a shoulder. I'm so sick of the feigning injury crap......seriously.....the league needs to start instructing the refs to stop the watch for the full amount of time that a player actually goes down and they need to start reviewing these flops and suspending people....screw fines......suspend them. The Divers mission statement: Waste 10 minutes a game on the ground when winning and the ref will only stop the watch for about 3 or 4 .

10. JaguarCRO

JaguarCRO New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Sunnyvale,CA
    I agree whole-heartedly and this was certainly one of the Metrostars game tactics on Sunday. No doubt about it. The sad fact is nothing was done about it.

11. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Oh, by the way.....Waibel and Roner were ok defensively but their distribution out of the back was horrible.

12. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    I haven't watched the game yet, but how is this different from any other week?

These guys are the two weakest links. It's not like they always play decent and have the occasional bad game; it's more like they always play mediocre and have the occasional decent game.

Let's hope Goose, Troy and Robinson are fit for the playoffs because bad things usually happen when Waibel and Roner are on the field.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about three that don't have their hands tied? You think you can handle that smartass?

14. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    Why's that? does it bother you that other people might have a different opinion than you about your golden boy? You think Donovan wasn't actually trying to take out the players in question?..shite, he even admits it! Oh, and can you extend your arguement to something a bit more than personal insults?

15. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    No I have no idea any more than anyone else does that he had a "reason"...it's a game, if he's got an issue, deal with it in the parking lot. Walker can be a punk too, I've seen the guy in person playing with the quakes at USF..he walked away saying he was too good for this team, whatever, probably sour grapes cause the league wouldn't give him the $ he wanted..still, these kids are supposed to be professionals on the pitch...what worries me most about Donovan is that opposition knows they can try and rattle him and take him off his game by just frustrating him. He doesn't hide his frustrations to well and it definately shows up in his game.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Stinkey, I didn't mean that to be a personal insult, I was just insulting your stinky spelling.

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see, more frequently over the last couple years... How many times has he done it this year? Can't remember. How many last year? Can't remember. It's happening more frequently, but gee, I can't remember it happening. Certainly BigSoccer didn't go up in arms, or surely I'd remember that. I will find the link where he talked about "sticking" the goalie...it was either U17, U20 or Olympic qualifying...and he regretted it, said it was stupid...and to my recollection, it hasn't happened again. So stop feigning concern for Landon and his growth.

But by the way, like someone said earlier, Thornton would have leveled LD with a shoulder. almost wish it would have been Thornton...he woulda knocked some sense into that boy's head.

18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew I'd find it eventually. Here's your link, Stinky.

http://soccertimes.com/usteams/1999/mar09.htm

Landon was 16 years old at the time he did it. He was a mature 17 years old (by a week) when he remarked how stupid it was. And as you can see, it hasn't happened since. So you can stop worrying about Landon and all is right with the world.

And I apologize in advance for being so sarcastic. :)

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I'm so sensitive...and I want everybody to like me!

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I take back my last post? I think I'm setting myself up. :(

22. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Just bring a keg to the tailgate. Trust me.

23. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    From the Metro game, I have come to one conclusion..

Johnny Walker is a pu$$y.

Think about it.

If Landon tried to pull that against Kahn, Kahn would have dropped the ball and ripped Landon's legs off. Instead Walker goes down like a little girl.
    If ANYONE should be suspended for misconduct its this embarassment to MLS. Tinkerbell Walker should have stayed in Chile where they accept diving and practice it as an artform.

Oh, and yes I do know how to hand banners the right way.