Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by babytiger2001, Oct 5, 2003.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time...

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES (0)

NY/NJ METROSTARS (1) 2
    Guevara 30
    Jolley 90

Final stats, from the matchtracker on mlsnet.com...

QUAKES: TOTAL SHOTS: 7 (Dwayne De Rosario 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 1 (Dwayne De Rosario 1); FOULS: 13 (3 tied with 3); OFFSIDES: 1 (Dwayne De Rosario 1); CORNER KICKS: 5 (Jeff Agoos 2, Richard Mulrooney 2); SAVES: 3 (Pat Onstad 3)

METROS: TOTAL SHOTS: 8 (3 tied with 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Mike Magee 2); FOULS: 17 (Tim Regan 4); OFFSIDES: 2 (Eddie Gaven 1, John Wolyniec 1); CORNER KICKS: 2 (Mike Magee 2); SAVES: 1 (Jonny Walker 1)

Misconduct Summary:
    SJ -- Craig Waibel (caution; Tackle from Behind) 32
    SJ -- Chris Roner (caution; Tackle from Behind) 43
    MET -- John Wolyniec (caution; Tackle from Behind) 63
    SJ -- Landon Donovan (caution; Tackle from Behind) 77
    SJ -- Jamil Walker (caution; Deliberate Handball) 90

Attendance: 10,225

For the Quakes, just one of those games where they never got it going. The MetroStars, though Guevara and Gaven, held the ball well, and otherwise defended well when they had to.

Mullan and Mulrooney played well in the midfield, Agoos and Waibel did OK in the back, and Onstad got off a couple of good saves. But when all's said and done, the service to Donovan and DeRosario just wasn't there, and credit goes to the MetroStars' back four for playing as well as they did.

Just one of those days, folks...

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) during-game/postgame thread [R]

See, that's what I said before the game...

We need to watch out for Eddie Gaven.
    We don't play well when we're the featured game, whether its Fox or ESPN2.
    Is there any chance the MLS cup championship won't be nationally televised? :)
    I don't think we can place more blame on DeRo and LD than on anyone else; the whole team was absolutely out of sync. Glad Donovan didn't get a straight red or two yellows; could easily have happened. But why did we keep fouling Guevarra, knowing he would milk it for at least 5 minutes each time?!
    I hope this is our stinker game out of the way. Onward through the playoffs, Quakes! :(

3. emailryoung

emailryoung Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California
    Just got back from the game. Quakes looked awful from my vantage point. Roner in particular turned the ball over nearly every time he touched it. Donovan never looked the least bit dangerous, and managed to muff the few balls that came his way.

Collectively, they seemed to wake up on the wrong side of the bed today. Alot of dissent, and every yellow deserved. Hopefully, they'll snap out of this by next week.

4. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Obviously the team knew they'd clinched the conference already. The ball control was dreadful in the first half, people were mis-trapping the ball and wrong-footing teammates with passes. It looked like preseason. Nobody had good touch. Maybe Mullan, Agoos and Dunivant had decent games.

Also, the Quakes just aren't the same team under a hot 1pm sun. They seem to be sapped of their energy to pressure the opponents.

1 first half shot??

Attendance over 10k on a sunday afternoon is nice though. Obviously a lot of those noisy kids from last week came back.

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If you want a laugh, go to the MetroSars boards. They think that Donovan (5'-9'', 155 pounds) beat up on their keeper Walker ( 6'-3'', 180 pounds) and they're bitching and moaning about it. What a bunch of classless turds. But they also think they we brought our best game today and that the referee wasn't incompetent. :rolleyes: Let's hope that they put down the crack pipe before it's too late.

6. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Metrostall shut down the Quakes by challenging everything and preventing our passing game from getting in gear. (Having all our goals discounted didn't hurt their strategy either, of course. I can't recall the last time an opposing team had two goals disallowed at Spartan.) The Quakes may have gotten used to scoring frequently the last few games and perhaps were a bit impatient for a goal in the first half, sending too many players forward. Every time the 'stalls came into our third we looked vulnerable.

Mullan had a great game. I was amazed at how many balls he recovered when they seemed lost and that he pushed through the massing defense.

7. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    If by "beatup" you mean blatantly cheapshotted him, yes. I don't see how anyone can argue that. Rationally, anyway. And the referee was only bad in that he missed a couple more calls that should have gone for the Metros. Gaven's mugging just outside your box, and LD's forearm non-card.

8. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Read the above post. I rest my case.

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Actually, speaking of reading, you might want to check the post-game thread again, there are people calling St. Silva the least liked ref in MLS, fwiw.

As for beating up Walker, I don't think he beat him up, but he did give him a pointless flying elbow and then turned around to complain (arms out) when Walker went down. I don't know how hurt Walker was- he did play and Chile and likely has a bit of the Guevara in him when it comes to drawing out time on the road when winning- but there's no excuse for what LD did. Looked like a move you'd expect from Mexico, in all honesty.

While SJ attacked for large parts of the second half, I don't think any of us thought they brought their A game. This was not the same offensive team that got a 4-4 tie in July @ GS, but whose fault is that? Most of our comments were on us playing well for a road team playing 4 rookies and without 3 starters; a 2-0 road win isn't too shabby against the team with the best record in the league, no matter how they played.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp As we're already pretty well aware of, the final score is:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp[​IMG] &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [​IMG]
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 0 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 2

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You can read a recap of the game here.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

11. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Weird game. NY played well but it wasn't their defensive pressure that cause all our turnovers, we just weren't in sync. More bad passes than in the last three games put together.

They also seemed to be trying to shrink the field horizontally on defense, meaning all the defenders played moved towards the middle of the field or the side the ball was on. They gave us a lot of room on Mullan's side particularly, but we didn't seem to play up the flanks or cross the ball well. I'll have to watch the tape later to see if that really was so.

12. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've just watched the tape. We played badly. I think most of our players figured we were playing in white. The Metros came with a plan and stuck to it. Having said that a draw would have been a fair result. Landon should have been off. It was a soft challenge on Walker who made the most of it but going in on the keeper when he has the ball is a card.

Why De Rosario's goal in the first half was called back I don't know. There was no contact, Regan just fell over. I paused the play and ran it in slo-mo. Unless there was something off the ball the goal should have counted and we'd have had a different game.

Oh, well we can't play that badly again can we?

-Richard

13. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard, I was there and I'm wondering the same thing. Why way DeRo's goal called back? And why was the late one called back? No one seemed to argue so I'm guessing it was a handball or some such thing.

But to those of us in the stadium, both non-goals were puzzling.

Can anyone enlighten us? Why were the goals called back? What did the ESPN crew say?

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second one (in stoppage time) was called back due to a handball on Walker (Jamil, not Jonny) from Mullan's cross, and I believe that DeRosario's was called back for contact on the box.

Don't hold me to the one about DeRo, but I'm certain of why Walker's was called back.

15. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    If you were a ref, you must be first sizing up the players before calling a foul? Right?

If it’s an intentional foul to injury another player, it’s a bookable foul. The fact it’s merely puny LD’s pathetic attempt of thuggery is irrelevant.

16. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, i'd sure like to have seen the replay. We watched the goal unfold right in front of us and it just looked like a legal turn-and-burn. We thought maybe it was some weird offside call perhaps.

By the way, the bad calls that went both ways. The Met's got screwed on a very bad offside call that wasn't offside and a play that involved their striker getting called for a non-foul against Agoos.

Both of them had us howling. Seriously, there are two games when this guy refs. One, team v. team. And two, how bad can the ref get.

17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Donovan's Actions against Jonny Walker

Not trolling but I just wanted to express my view of the actions of Landon Donovan and that elbow he put into Keeper Jonny Walker of my club the MetroStars.

Obviously some of you hate it when Clint shows some unsportsmanship and he starts to hack the other side when he can't get a foot on the ball and it doesn't nail the back of the net. I agree that the elbow to Convey wasn't the brightest thing he has done. I too hate it when he loses his temper and acts like an ass out on the pitch.

Just like what happened when Amado Guevara did his acting job when that towel snap got him in his mid-section and he pretended he got whipped in the eyes. I wasn't happy when Amado did that acting job as well.

But there is no excuse of what Landon Donovan did to Jonny Walker. You don't see Clint take out the keeper in a cheap fashion like what he did. Golden boy, future of the national team or not that was not a smart thing to do once Walker had the ball. I don't care if it was a love tap, or he pretended to give him an elbow to the stomach, or to his side. The play was over once Walker had the ball in his hands. It was disgusting and I will say this and I don't care who I offend, but that reminded me of the bulls#!t that happened to Kasey Keller and two US defenders during Semi-Finals of Qualifying for the 2002 World Cup in 2000 when Carlos Ruiz of Guatemala with no remorse hacked our boys and when Keller had possesion of the ball knocked him down and the goal was allowed to stand by that referee. Seeing that ugly display of crap I say to Landon Donovan you should have known and done better than to do that cheap shot tactic to a keeper.

We expect alot better from Landon Donovan wheather you support the Quakes or not. That should have been a 2nd Yellow or a straight Red in my view with no questions asked. Was he fustrated that the Metro contained him so well. Any goalscorer with the touch of Donovan and also Ruud Van Niestlerooy would be fustrated that he couldn't nail the ball into the back of the net. But what he did was absolutly and purely nonsense and should not be tolerated wheather he is special treatment or not.

For that the league should review the tape and suspend Landon Donovan for one match. Not just Landon Donovan, but for anyone who does that to a keeper should be suspended period.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The air out in New York and New Jersey is exceptionally bad, with high morphine pollutants in the atmosphere. This game was bad, everything was bad, with a few exceptions. Worst of all was Gus St. Dork. You sure called it right there, BK, the other day. This guy was no help to the game of soccer at all. Richard said he'd find Gus's address for me. Can't wait.

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Dwayne's goal was legit, myself-- a "turn and burn", as you mention. As for a move like that, and provided that there was no contact by DeRo, that was as pretty as you'll see.

I'd like to see a replay, too, but sadly, I don't have that luxury here. Therefore, I'll count on you guys and your own further review of the situation. :)

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the full game will be replayed at 11 p.m. our time. I have that set to record. Here, the first 15-20 minutes were lost to MLB. Will check it later, there are a lot of things to review.

21. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    First SJ goal disallowed: The announcers said it was because of someone clipping Lietch's heel as he went to clear the ball in the box. Remember when he completely whiffed on the kick? It was tough to see regular speed, shows in the replays. Im surprised the ref saw it.

22. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Preview of things to come - metrostars tactics

Today we saw a blueprint for how to play the Quakes:

1. challenge hard - try to out-physical them
    2. mark LD as physically as possible (related to 1)
    3. wait for LD to get frustrated and either sulk or make stupid challenges
    4. make sure you get in some ankle-biters every time Ekelund, Mulrooney, et al. touch the ball
    5. hope the ref doesn't see #4

I think we're going to see a lot more of this, and I also think that the Quakes playoff fortunes depend on their ability to counter this type of tactic.

It's also known as "Ray Hudson soccer", and it's disgusting. Ching would probably have been pretty useful in a game like today.

I'm glad Landon got a card and almost another, because otherwise, I wouldn't have known that he was playing.

And why did Spartan feel like a tomb today? From the beginning, it was much too quiet.

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't think you have too much to worry about. i think that San Jose played uncharacteristically poor today. add that to the fact that Eddie Gaven is playing out of his mind the last 2 weeks and you are gonna have trouble. Let's not forget that San Jose outscored the 2 previous opponents on the road 9-3 .....

24. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Preview of things to come - metrostars tactics

1. Guy wasn't there. No guy, no drum. Casbah was almost non-existant.

2. It was freakin' Sunday at 1pm.

25. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shabs your looking with Metro colored glasses. There wasnt any contact. DeRo also got a bogus offside calls, but thems the breaks. St. Silva was crap, and lets leave it at that.

Landon's cheap shots were stupid, but I dont think they were malicious or even that hard. I think he was frustrated and tried to get a piece of guys, but neither was all that dangerous and their wasnt really any intent to hurt. I can understand why Metro fans might be a little heated, but Landon wasnt going to hurt anybody that way.

As for the game, 'Quakes played like crap, and the Metro's played the "ugly up the game at spartan" strategy. Im really worried about it in the playoffs.