Earthquakes Loan Midfielder Tighe Dombrowski to Minnesota Thunder

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJtotalfootball, Jul 15, 2005.

1. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquakes Loan Midfielder Tighe Dombrowski to Minnesota Thunder For Remainder of 2005 USL Season

San Jose Retains Right to Recall Midfielder At Any Point In 2005 MLS Season

SAN JOSE (Friday, July 15, 2005) – The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that they have loaned midfielder Tighe Dombrowski to the Minnesota Thunder of the USL First Division for the remainder of the 2005 USL First Division season. The Quakes maintain Dombrowski rights and have the option of recalling him at any point during the 2005 MLS season.

Dombrowski, 23, has been a member of the Earthquakes for the 2004 and 2005 seasons. The West Allis, Wisconsin native made four appearances for the San Jose club last season, but has yet to play in a 2005 MLS regular season match. However, Dombrowski did start and play in six of the Quakes reserve league games this year, notching one assist in 525 minutes of play. The 2004 MLS SuperDraft fifth-round pick starred at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for four years, scoring 16 goals in his college career. He numerous honors in college, including being named to the First Team NSCAA All-Great Lakes Region, the First Team All-Horizon League, and the First Team Horizon League All-Tournament Team during his senior year.

Dombrowski’s older brother, Chad, who also attended University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, currently plays defense for the Thunder.

2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Good move, IMO. Now that reserve games are pretty much over, it's a good way to get Tighe (and any other youngsters they loan out, like Goldthwaite to Portland) some much-needed PT and experience.

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing we kept the option to recall him at any time.

At least he'll get some real playing time for Minnesota.

I hope to see more of him in a Quakes kit in the coming years.

I wonder if we are loaning players to USL teams because the reserve "season" is almost over?

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

4. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF
    Crap I was going to try and see him as I'll be in Minnesota in August, but they are away while I'll be there. Good thing for him to be able to be near family and get some solid playing time though instead of sitting on the bench here since the reserves are done.

5. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I noticed we only sent Goldthwaite to Portland for a couple weeks, so I presume they expect to have at least him back before SJ's next reserve match on 8/21. I guess that's why they retained the right to recall Tighe from Minnesota, too.

6. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yeah - I think the Goldthwaite thing is just short term, although he could go back and forth between reserve games. Not so sure on Tighe, he's a second year player and seems to have dropped down on the depth chart behind some rookies. He did not even suit up at the last home game. They may see it as better for him just to stay with Minnesota and get as much playing time as he can, and not shuttle back and forth. He'll get a chance to play against a MLS team with Minnesota, since they beat RSL in the US Open Cup and are scheduled to play the Crapids Aug 3. (Assuming he gets into the lineup, not sure if Minnesota has lost someone or what created the opening)

7. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    So in the spirit of combining two threads (Quakes salary and this one), anyone know how it works when a player is loaned out like this? Do they get their Quakes salary plus a salary from the USL team? Do they have to pay their own living expenses or does the USL team put them up in a hotel (particularly for short term loans)?

It's hard enough for the guys to make ends meet, wonder if Tighe moves out of his place here in San Jose (he lives with Cochrane and Aloisi, saw that on the Quakes Insider) then are the other guys stuck with a higher rent payment? Or does Tighe keep his stuff here, assuming he'll be recalled? Yet another challenge for the developmental players......

8. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering myself. I don't know about the loan issues but I was reading the ask Peter Wilt thread and saw this, "Free housing, shared rides, per diem, camp instruction,club coaching, paid appearances and some parental support. That's the life of a developmental roster player, usually just one or maybe two years, then they either make the regular roster or move on. Regular roster players all make $30k+."

9. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Another fun fact.....Minnesota plays at Seattle Sounders July 23, and again on August 6, so Tighe can go up against CJ Klaas and Roger Levesque. Would be interesting to see one of those games.....also, for those of you who remember the preseason trialists with the Quakes, Johnny Menyongar plays midfield for Minnesota.

10. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did he go? Will he play tonight?

11. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tighe, we never knew you...

Good luck.

12. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    He wouldn't be playing tonight, he didn't travel with the team. He hasn't travelled with the team this year, and he didn't even sit on the bench at the last couple of home games. Assume he has left or is leaving soon, to be with Minnesota for their game tonight if possible. They also have a game tomorrow.

13. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant will he play tonight for the Thunder. They're on TV so it would be chance to see him play.

14. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    aha. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I checked the Thunder website, but they don't have any inmatch webcast, so can't tell if Tighe is there tonight. Didn't realize his older brother was playing for Minnesota, that will be nice for him.

15. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did play for the last 30 minutes. I think they intended him to play A-mid, which he did for about 10 minutes before he started to drift back too much due to the desire to follow any runner. The team played better after he came on then they did before he was put in though.

It was sort of funny that his speed of play seemed too quick for ref who ended up making more than one tackle because he couldn't get out of his way. The ref also had a couple of nice "picks" on Tighe who kept turning quickly to find the ref about 1 foot from his face.

-KMJvet

16. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that his decison making and play was a step quicker than most everyone else on the field and he didn't lose possesion slopply like most everyone else. That shouldn't be at all surpeising considering he has been training at the top level with San Jose.

The announcers siad he was coming on as an A_mid but really we was playing more of a d-mid. He had some nice tackles some nice flicks, a nice dummy that the forward should have done something with...His brother played rightback in that game too and was also a cut above the compotition had some strong defensive stops and got forward and delivered some nice crosses.

Overall it was good to see Tighe out there, I still have no doubt he can contribute with San Jose..however this is the lasy year he can be a dev player so .....well i am connecting the dots here..its ashame Dom doesn't give more opportunities to his good reserves like Tighe and Wolonowski.

MOD Note: any chance this can get combined with the Tighe Dombrowski Thread?

17. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Interesting if they are thinking of him as an a-mid, because he never played that role this year for San Jose. In the reserve games, even when he was playing alongside O'Rourke (who is not very offensive minded), Tighe was the d-mid and O'Rourke the a-mid. Tighe never really did much of anything offensively in the games. He did get one assist early in the year, that was the one time it seemed he moved up on offense.

On Tighe's status, he can still be a developmental player next year. As long as he's 24 or younger during the year, he can be on a developmental contract. Tighe turns 24 next year, so he has one more year left where he could be a dev player.

18. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Nice to see Tighe getting a chance to play. It will help him to show what he can do, either to stay with the Quakes next year or at least to catch on with another club.

It does seem like Dom doesn't play as many subs and young players as many other teams, so being a young player with the Quakes it's very hard to get playing time. I'd sure like to see more of the younger guys getting some chances, instead of always running out Russell or Hart as subs. Neither of those guys is going to get any better than they are right now, they're solid players but let's give some of the other guys chances.

19. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tighe played the a-mid for Chicago Fire Reserves in 2003 and led them to the PDL final and led the team in scoring along with Ned Grabavoy. At UWM he was a central midfielder but the team's system was very offensive and attacking so Tighe often found himself in the final third. I think San Jose figures his best attributes are at D-mid in their system and i agree...but its not like it is a new position for him.

Based on what i saw on FSC last night he would walk in there and be their best player..some of them were pretty bad.

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I saw Tighe play for Minnesota last Saturday night, when the Thunder played an exhibition game against the Milwaukee Wave United. Tighe scored on a pretty give and go in the first half, and his goal wound up being the game-winner for Minnesota, as they won 2-1.

21. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    So if Tighe has the offensive skills you are talking about, why do you agree with San Jose that his best position is D-mid in their system? Just curious, trying to reconcile the little that I've seen of him (where he looked very good tackling and winning the ball, but not very good at seeing the field and figuring out how to pass the ball forward to create offense) with what he has previously done. Wasn't able to see him on TV in his debut with the Thunder.

22. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just his best attributes lend him rowards a d-mid. He has great instincts, work rate, reads the flow of the game well, and has a backwoods brawlers' grit. You need to be a little nasty to be a good d-mid and Tighe defintly has that.

He can play a-mid..but not in the traditional sense..hard to explain but the school he came from played an attacking 4-3-3 and Tighe was the central midfielder..so he had to be the d-mid at times and the a-mid at times so he can do both. He's not a playmaker which might be what you mean by a a-mid.

23. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he's always seemed to me to be someone who sees the field close to him, but not all the attacking possibilities for creativity.

24. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I've seen him play less than 5 times, but I would agree with this assessment. Tighe just seems to fit the "holding" role better than "attacking".