Earthquakes in Allstar game?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by seareefered, Jul 5, 2005.

1. seareefered

seareefered New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    As it is there will be no Quakes in the Allstar game and there are certainly A few who deserve to go. Fans need to vote.

2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    This is great news. I hope none of our boys have to make the trip and that they get a chance to rest up during the break. I've been voting in all galaxative players and I suggest you all do the same.

Tired LA players=Good for the Earthquakes

3. seareefered

seareefered New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    good point, but I wonder if the players feel the same way?

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    There will only be 16 allstars, plus the two commish picks (Adu and ???), so I think a few teams will be shut out.

5. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF
    Am I the only one who is getting a little tired of the gimmicks in Pro Sports.

Can I just watch the Western Conferance play the Eastern Conferance? Great Bocanegra and McBride play for Fulham. If those 2 really wanted to be in the All-Star game then perhaps they should have stayed in the MLS. I know it was not their call, but cutting the number of all-star players in half so they can host an EPL team is dumb. Want to know why Brad Davis isn't in the All star game, ask MLS and the Cottagers.

No offence to Fulham fans, I just don't want to watch your team (or any other) play in the All-Star team except the best from the east vs. the best from the west.

Same thing with baseball and the stupid nationality thing with the home run derby. I personally blame David Stern and the rest of the yahoos in the NBA for causing all of this idiocy.

All that being said it's a shame Davis won't be there. At least he'll be in the NT squad for the Gold Cup.

6. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Fan voting only counts for 25%, so you can't tell who is going to be in the game based on that.

For me, the only two Quakes that seem to be legitimate contenders would be DeRosario and Davis. And to be honest, I'm not sure Davis is definitely someone who is in the top 6 or 7 midfielders. DeRosario yes, Davis borderline. Other midfielders who I would put ahead of Davis would be Joseph, OBrien, Guevara, Donovan, Dempsey, and Derosario...and maybe Mastroeni.

Eddie Robinson might be a borderline contender, but particularly with his tendency to strain muscles, I'd sure rather he stayed home and got healthy.

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The game against Chivas two years ago was way better than any East vs West game.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I'd think the combination of DeRosario, Davis, and Ching should be considered (if they were all healthy and available), as well as Ray Hudson's grandmama since he claims she's such a good finisher. Oh, and possibly Onstad as well (though I think he comes out 3rd best behind Cannon and Reis).

9. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Agree on Ching, but he's hurt so I didn't include him.

Not sure about Hudson's grandma either :D

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you're not. Here we have another case of MLS looking at the other sports in the U.S. and trying to do what they do. Monkey-see, monkey-do.

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    But at least MLS has given us a gimmick game that has a bit of meaning and competitiveness, unlike the exhibition exercises inter-conference. Those matches were just yuk-fests and didn't resemble a real match at all. Sure it's still meaningless in the grand global scheme of things, but at least it will be somewhat competitive without the utter contrivances like MLB does ("This one counts!").

12. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to have an all-star game at all, at least this type of game has potential to be interesting.

But I agree with Beerking, the whole thing is hard on the players. Luckily we won't be in a position to have 5 or 6 like we did a few years ago. I guess if we have one in the game, it's not so bad. If we have zero, that would be even better.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The All-Star Game should stick with the Western Conference vs. Eastern Conference format.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

14. Screech Powers

Screech Powers New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, CO.
    I really enjoy seeing the best 11-16 players from MLS go against teams from around the world (although it would be nice if it was a bigger club than Fulham). It brings the intensity of the match up, the East vs. West was getting really tired. They were starting to perform schtick during the games (remember the 2 different Brandi Chastain impersonations here in San Jose). Some of the young guys in MLS will play very hard against international competition to try and catch a big clubs eye, so it makes for a better game. I guess the counter argument is that Fulham will be in cruise control since they will be in their Pre-season, but despite this I still like it. It is okay to snub some guys for the all star team, it should not be an easy squad to make!

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I think Davis is the only Quake with a chance.

16. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF
    I just don't care what happens in the all-star game, but if it's the MLS all-star game then I'd like to see all MLS players. Fulham is more then welcome to play the Quakes or any other team in a friendly, but I'd rather just always see the east vs. the west.

I think the all-star game is a reward to the players for doing we'll and cutting half of them out is lame. I can watch Fulham every couple weeks on FSW anyway. The only funny thing I remember from the Chivas vs. MLS game is the Hartman was picking up oranges every 5 minutes that had been thrown at him.

I'd just like to see MLS players out there having fun and trying to show off their skills.

17. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Dyak as a sentimential favorite as a defender, even though he cannot play.

Looked for Ray Hudson's grandmother in the forward catagory but couldn't find her. I hear there is a video of her doing a bicycle kick from her rocking chair posted on the internet somewhere, though. :D

18. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Yes, she was all over that ball like dracula on a plate of liver, and she read the defense like a fairy tale book.

19. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's supposed to be about their MLS performance...not a creation of the international nats. Mastroeni has hardly played and when he has he's been all ego and mostly crap. Guevara was good the first part of last year. This year...yawn...and not better than Davis.

20. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    I agree on being about their performance, and I haven't seen Mastroeni that much but the games I saw him he did quite well. Hard to compare him to Davis, since they play such different midfield positions. On Guevara, not sure what you've been watching. He's got 5 goals and 6 assists, and has been the most consistent player on the Metros, being the one that really makes their offense happen. He's played 14 of their 15 games, played every minute in those games, and just been a force for them.

21. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen every Metros game that's been on TV and Guevara has just not been that good. He drifts out of games all together. He really hadn't figured out how to connect with the front runners. I can't recall if some of those goals are PKs, but the stats lie because he really has been a shadow of his former self. His consistancy has been pretty typical of the Metros, ie not consistant.

22. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    I may be in the minority here, but I've always thought All-star games in any league are lame.

If anything, stick it at the END of the season, like NFL. This would lessen the risk of an injury during the season.

23. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For most players in the league that make no where near the league maximum, the bonus $'s (I forget how much)they get for being selected to the All Star team is definitely meaningful.

24. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I was just on hold with a customer in Columbus and I heard the name of "he who shan't be mentioned" and I nearly retched.