Earthquakes History - NASL Style!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by gilmoreaz, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I thought we got him in the middle of 1982. I remember thinking "why would San Diego let this guy go?"

2. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    From 750 miles away, here are my thoughts on all of crap going on up there:

a. Wolff put together a plan to approach SJSU. Why this was made public is beyond my comprehension. Because it did, and because SJSU turned it down all Earthquakes fans are now ticked at SJSU. Wolff should have had confidentiality agreements drafted and kept the whole process with SJSU private not public.

b. Wolff has also gone public with the manner in which he will raise the money needed. Again, I don't get it.

Had Mr. Wolff held these discussions and negotiations with SJSU behind closed doors, all of this would be moot. Hopefully, he learned a lesson in all of this and that his "Plan B" moves forward quietly.

We are working to bring an MLS expansion team to Phoenix. To date, we have progressed a long way. However, not one single detail is being released until the deal is done. That way, no one is sold on false hopes and promises.

Please correct me if I am off base here?

3. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

I remember thinking the exact same thing, especially since he and his family had been living in La Jolla for quite a while at the time.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just got picked off first.:D

Actually, things were kept under wraps on both fronts. Talks with SJSU weren't suspected until Wolff made a comment at the office opening in November, where he said something along the lines of maybe having to "share a stadium with some football team". And nothing concrete was known about the negotiations until the whole thing collapsed, and as it is we still have many unanswered questions concerning the proposal.

As far as the city goes, things were kept so confidential that the Mercury News started screaming for Mayor Reed to live up to his campaign promises of transparency, sunshine, and open government. The city more or less kept tight-lipped until the backlash became too great.

5. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Not the first time in my life!;)

Thanks for the explanation... I guess that had Wolff not made the "Share the stadium with some football team" he and SJSU would be better off for the worse...?

6. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    What gets lost in all of this is the fact that Lew Wolff appears to have made public his desire for a return of the Earthquakes and opened the office in downtown BEFORE San Jose State was part of the discussion. I have some real hope based on that.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hibs shirt signed by Best before leaving for the San Jose Earthquakes in the Scottish Football museum.

Best wishes George Best
    [​IMG]

BTW,
    I don't think anyone has posted this here have they?
    George Best...best Goal Ever
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=U2HWUbFGHMU

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Two Quakes former GK's
    Mike Ivanow & Paul Gizzi
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you must be a closet Seattle Sounder fan also, Falvo.:p

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that game. :) Portland/Seattle, or Seattle/Vancouver were the best soccer derbies in the country. And look at the turnout, over 34,000. MLS could only dream of that kind of a turnout.

12. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    When the Kingdome was built, the first major sporting event was an exhibition between the Sounders and the Cosmos. I think there were 58,000+ in attendence, including me. What a great experience.

13. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . .but geeze, what a godawful pitch to play soccer on!

I saw the Sounders and Cosmos there in the summer of '78 (I think it was. . .)

14. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Yes, I was at the Kingdom for a couple of Quakes games too and the pitch was very hard. But then, not any worse than some other NASL cities at that time. Portland was awful too. Like playing on concrete. Soldier Field was artificial, as was The Meadowlands. Those stadiums that had the old fashioned artificial turf, especially the baseball stadiums, also had numerous seams in the carpet. I walked the field at the Meadowlands and Soldier Field and it felt like the padding was about as thick as the one in my living room.

15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the opportunity to walk on the Kingdome carpet once during a pregame event and I remember thinking how soft it was compared to the astroturf that was put in at my high school. I guess it is all relative.

16. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember a Soccer Bowl played in Portland during the day (a Sunday I believe) between the Cosmos and Vancouver (or was it the Rowdies?). Anyway, the heat reflecting up from the astroturf had several players talking after the game how they "felt like their feet were on fire the whole game!"

{Please excuse any posts of mine that contain "faulty memories." Too many beers between then and now, I think. . . :eek:}

17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I am not sure on how may Soccer Bowls were played in Portland, but there was at least one, in 1977, between a Seattle Sounder team consisting mainly of English lower division players and the star-studded Cosmos. The Sounders, though playing well enough to win, fell 2-1 to the Cosmos. The moment that stands out from that game was the huge gaff by Sounder goalie Tony Chursky that gave the Cosmos a 1-0 lead. He had gathered the ball up on a play deep on the right side of the penalty area, and without looking behind him proceeded to put the ball back on the ground. Cosmo Steve Hunt dipped in from behind and poked the ball away from Chursky and then into an open net.
    The Sounders fought back to tie the game 1-1 and were pressing for the lead before Giorgio Chinaglia put in a late winner. sigh.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey GoSounders, I have a question for you. Why was it that in those days of the NASL, the PNW or rather the Timbers, Sounders and Whitecaps always seemed to field a team of Brits? I mean The Quakes had their share of Brits as did the rest of the league, but it always seemed anyway, that those teams fielded nothing but British, Scotish, Welch and Irish players. Just wondering thats all.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Joe Raduka
    [​IMG]

Joe entered his first Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) season in 1982. He spent the winter in San Jose with the Golden Bay Earthquakes. Joe led the Quakes in blocked shots that year and was ranked as one of the MISL's top defenders. He also signed a one-year contract that year with a Canadian Professional Soccer League team, and according to CPSL rules, would be classified as a Canadian player due to his immigrant status.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Quakes tix
    [​IMG]
    volkar fass
    [​IMG]

21. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, that's the game I was thinking of and referring to. . .

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not sure which defender it was that said he yelled at Chursky to "watch out" for Steve Hunt, but he said because the GK "was deaf in one ear", he couldn't hear him & Hunt sneaked it by him.

23. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i remember reading that one of the sounders' defenders tried yelling at chursky that stevie was on his ass, but it seems that he is deaf in one ear and didn't hear it.....

24. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aw, crap....

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005