"Earthquakes 80's Night"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    Didn't I see Dee Snyder playing for Columbus Saturday night?

Since a rival station is sponsoring the event I don't think we'll see/hear Greg.

2. Bebeto

Bebeto Member

Feb 24, 2000
    OK folks. I just entered the dance-off contest, so I could be your halftime entertainment... scary thought.
    TyffaneeSue, will those leg warmers be ready for me?!?!

(He's a maniac, maniac... bad visual of a ripped up sweatshirt and leg warmers around my hairy flesh)

But seriously, if I get picked, you'll sample some of my death-defying breakdance moves from the 80's (well maybe not death-defying, since I'm still around). Can I bring my own linoleum?

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the fact that you're still around proves that you did defy death. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    At long last, Mark Chung and Wang Chung are united. (John Todd/MLS/WireImage.com)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

5. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

SJ Earthquakes, Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Quakes should come out with what they came out with in the 80's. The theme song to Chariots of Fire.

6. Bebeto

Bebeto Member

Feb 24, 2000
    Now, who would we possibly receive from DC for the Chung trade?!?! when did they sign Wang??

Forget it, Mark stays!

7. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    while I really do not expect it to happen, it would be nice if the retro-kits were available for purchase that night....

and shouldn't it be Wade Chung?:D (sounds like Wang Chung only with a stuffed nose?)

8. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    To me, they were more 70's, but I'm watchin 'Heart Live from Seattle' on KQED right now and they still kick A$$!!!!!!

They had some hits in the 80's....F.O., BOOK EM' NOW!!!!

9. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm,

Tainted Love doesn't seem to have a gig listed for this Saturday.
    They'd be in the Quakes price range.

Also, the Metro's new GM might be back in town to sit in with them.

10. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    http://sanjose.earthquakes.mlsnet.c...ntent_id=37003&vkey=pr_sje&fext=.jsp&team=sje

They have a Grand Prix tie-in promo discount for the Metro game. Tickets are $12 a piece with the promo code. However, it only applies to the east sideline and corners (regular price is $16). I have tried it with ticketmaster (the only way to use the promo code)with other sections to comfirm that. Since ticketmaster charges service charge, even with will-call, the ticket becomes $16.55 a piece. Why would anyone want to go through all that with ticketmaster and will-call and end up paying more?

If the Quakes want to bring more people to the stadium by giving them a pricebreak, they should do better than that.

11. Bebeto

Bebeto Member

Feb 24, 2000
    Guess what folks?

My secret identity will be revealed to all on Saturday. I got picked out of the thousands of fans (probably a handful) who entered...

I just hope that I don't suddenly get stage-fright!!
    The pitch does not need additional watering at hallf-time.

12. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    I'm sure you'll be impressed. I've been working hard on it.

13. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Does good British Oi! from 80s count as "80s music"? :)

14. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why didn't they coordinate that silly Def Leppard/Brian Adams :eek: show across the street last month with '80's Night? The guts spilling out of old Leppard shirts after that show just SCREAMS '80's!

Get "Ride The Lightning", "Reign In Blood", or "Rust In Peace" in the Quakes' collective headphones just prior to the game for true '80's adrenaline and it'll be a blowout bloodbath. Just sit Califf before the ref notices.

15. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not that I really care, but as I am reading stuff on the SJ Quakes website, I can't find the info on the 80's Night any more.

Did they call it off?

16. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    I still see it on the site. Look at the link right below the rotating pictures/articles, that says "80's night".......

Still don't see any specifics on who is performing at the concert.

17. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    But I thought that was going to be part of your halftime dance?!?...the whole "Flashdance" thing where you do the dance and finish by stretching out across a chair at midfield while a hovering helicopter drops a bucket of water on you?!? :D

18. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

SJ Earthquakes, Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if the Quakes will be wearing their all red kit from the 80's?

19. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    That will be interesting to see. The ones they wore last year were worked up special by Nike. Since adidas is now outfitting them, it will be interesting to see if adi comes out w/ retro reds for the boys.

20. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    I'm not sure 80's night with the band with no name is going to increase attendance. I would suggest some combination of the following.

Silent Auction

Raffle

Halftime

Alexi Lalas

Dunking Booth

21. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring your guitar and the gang will break some stuff... :D

22. RoqABilly

RoqABilly New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    I hear that it was Metal Skool that was the cover band that performed after the game Saturday night. Can anyone confirm this for me? They are pretty big in Hollywood. You never know who is going to show up at a show or jump on stage with the band (recently they had Jessica Simpson there, at a more recent show Bo Bice form American Idol fame was on stage doing some Skynard songs). I would have skipped out on my hockey game if I knew that Metal Skool was across the street. (I know, I know, I should skip hockey and go for the soccer. I would rather play a sport then watch it though)

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That sounds familiar.

But the band sucked, sorry. I don't think their musicianship was all that great, and from what I could hear, neither was their showmanship. I was never a head-banger, and the music never, ever interested me, fwiw.

Cover bands can be cool for a nostalgic night out, hence some B-list celebs will go check 'em out to relive their metallic youth. But the real bands to see are the ones who B and A-list celebs check out on their own merit, not a nostalgic trip down memory lane or b/c certain fans happen to fit into a certain demographic.

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Acid wash denim jeans, checkered headbands (think Pat Cash at Wimbledon or Dustin Hoffman in Ishtar), pastel Miami Vice colors (bonus points for three-quarter sleeve white blazers!), etc.

25. RoqABilly

RoqABilly New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Thanks for the follow up. Too bad your were not impressed with the band. They are a pretty popular 80's cover band from Hollywood. The club where they play is usually sold out every Monday night (they have had to move twice to large clubs in the last year) and many 80's band members will join them on stage. The band members that will show up to watch or join them on stage were pretty much A rate musicians in the 80's (think Metallica, Anthrax, Warrant, Ratt...). I would have just loved to seen them and check out all the hype. And to think I was across the street and heard "Rock You Like A Hurricane" really stinks for me.