News: Earnie Stewart Resigns

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by manfromgallifrey91, Jan 26, 2023.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s that people don’t think he’ll take it. He’s got a pretty good gig in LA.

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well, so far, anyone that any of us would consider qualified and relevant for this job have been uninterested.

I wonder if there's any way that this could be a part-time job done on the side with the blessing of an MLS employer. I think I already know the answer without even asking, but... that's probably the best chance we'd have at getting someone we wouldn't regret having in there at the rate we're going.

Still, lots of people immediately mentioned Garth Lagerway until he turned us down. I've hardly heard anyone mention John Thorrington. IMO he's rather clearly distinguished himself as one of the top 2 or 3 soccer-side executives in MLS (with Lagerway being the other).

tomásbernal repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It feels like outside of someone like Carlos Bocanegra it’s going to be hard to pull the top guy from any MLS team. More likely we’d be able to get the number 2 guy in a lot of front offices.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, and we'd really rather go with someone else besides Carlos Bocanegra.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems to be a fairly uniform opinion.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    It seems that Bocanegra is the only one who actually wants the job, though, so my guess is that that's who we'll end up hiring after everyone else on the list turns us down.

7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Bradley is definitely a good shout. But he's still coaching, and might have some good years yet in that role. Whenever he's done with that he'll be a great addition to the NT program.

Marko72 repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stewart took what was more of a position paper and implemented it at every age level. On BS we bitched about it until it started looking good and then gave the credit to the coach. Without those players having played it for several years on each age group team U15, U17, U19 the U20's likely wouldn't have looked as good. If he implemented advanced metrics then they can compare how any player at any age group compares to others at other age groups and project. he also tried to take on the youth mafia to similarly have U4 on up under an umbrella that was streamlined but ran out of time. I doubt anyone else will even attempt that again. All I need to know about what he accomplished is knowing one of the best developmental teams in the world just hired him. I'll use their opinion over my own or anyone else here.

russ, TrueCrew, ChrisSSBB and 5 others repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Thorrington has been mentioned by some.

But he's also the kind of guy who has a great gig in MLS, and probably wouldn't want to leave that day-to-day job. Kinda like Ernst Tanner, who'd also be great. He's already reportedly turned down overtures.

I do really like the Bob Bradley suggestion if he's interested. He's 65. Maybe he's not interested in the day-to-day grind in the professional game anymore, but isn't ready to retire. Knows the US landscape inside and out, but also has a good knowledge of European practices, etc. The role is really about hiring the right coaches, scouts, etc. and getting out of the way. Then go to a million meetings in Chicago shaking hands and kissing babies. Scheduling friendlies and big picture stuff. And, of course, Bob has spent a long time in Chicago. THat presumably wouldn't be an issue for him or his family.

I have enormous respect for Bob Bradley. Over time, I think many that criticized him harshly at the time have come around on his tenure.

Editor In Chimp, Kirium, Marko72 and 2 others repped this.
  10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    There's only really one person trying to tear down Stewart and that's just someone desperate to prop up Jurgen Klinsmann at any chance.

Stewart was doing good work -- implementing what prior instructions thought but never executed in large part.

We're not going to get anyone with near the resume, and I agree, I don't think anyone will try to approach the AYSO/USYS issue.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that Earnie was hired in 2018, right. Are you really suggesting that Reyna's 2011 Style of Play was just a position paper and he did nothing with it, Klinsmann as TD did nothing with it, neither did the Reyna's successor as YTD Tab Ramos? You can't possibly be serious. Every USSDA team has been playing the 4-3-3 or its variant since 2011.

Stewart is a superb Sporting Director and administrator but designing and implementing the US Style of Play is not his creation, that is 100% Claudio Reyna.

acima repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else think all of our youth teams played a 4-3-3 that was style wise the same as the full team before Berhalter? Even our full head coaches didn't very often. Youth teams played whatever their coaches wanted. If I'm remembering this wrong let me know. What I remember is The Swiss U17 coach and Kreis getting a lot of criticism for playing that way and either Berhalter or Earnie getting a lot of heat here for forcing that formation and system on them.

largegarlic repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to end up with Onyewu by default lol

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they are doing interviews, which would indicate that we won’t have to wait till the summer and the process is at least in motion.

Onyewu is not my first choice, but I’d prefer him to Bocanegra. Unfortunately the sporting director/GM gig isn’t the most attractive to guys who have the top job with club teams, including those in MLS.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't even want Mike Jacobs from Nashville, are we really scraping the bottom of the barrel after we landed Earnie Stewart last time? Nashville has basically made two great moves, Zimmerman and Mukhtar, and those are carrying them to being "pretty good" in MLS...

Boysinblue and largegarlic repped this.
  16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This is how I see the two positions:

Sporting Director: this is likely going to be a domestic / MLS associated candidate by default.

Manager: if USSF is willing to hire a non-domestic / MLS candidate, then there will always be managers out there willing to take the job. But USSF may not get the "glamour" candidate that it and US fans may want.

nobody, gomichigan24 and Boysinblue repped this.
  17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with Mike Jacobs? He's helped build a winning team with a clear identity and playing style in nashville SC.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't interviewed Kate MarGrath for the job. Maybe they have and she turned it down?

Anyways, all of these MLS Soccer Execs are turning down the job, which likely means that the SD gig for US Soccer is substantially different from they are currently doing. Also, that they have no interest in what the SD of US Soccer job entails.

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think either you are going to get someone who is a former longtime USMNT player like Onyewu or Bocanegra, or you’re going to get the number 2 from an MLS front office. Someone like Chris Albright before he left Philadelphia for Cincinnati. In terms of European options I’d be curious if someone like Oliver Bierhoff would be interested or if they’ve reached out to him, but overall I expect very little European interest in the sporting director role.

In the end the job is just inherently less interesting than being the sporting director for a club team where you are picking the players and putting together the team.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Gooch will pick the coach.

U.S. Soccer considering Oguchi Onyewu for sporting director | FOX Sports

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
  21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best line is when Gomez says “he’s not one of these 1990s wackos.”

WrmBrnr, Winoman, xbhaskarx and 3 others repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The best point was: "The clock is ticking".

What do you all think? Should we just hire whatever is the best reasonable candidate by the end of the month?

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It feels like they should have a good sense of the candidates by the end of the month. They should conduct whatever interview process they want to go through and pick the best from the people who are interested. I don’t think you’re going to get better candidates by waiting.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    I don't dislike Gooch at all, but it sure doesn't feel he's really qualified for the job. Maybe he'd do a good job, I'd still prefer someone with more experience.

Savage_Sam repped this.
  25. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I still think taking time isn't the worst idea. It's a job that for a lot of people may not be something they want to do especially when you hear everything that Earnie oversaw.

I do appreciate the different names that have been confirmed to have been linked to the job. Shows its at least a real search and not a dog and pony show

Winoman repped this.