Early 1980s - The Golden Age of Brazil

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by aguimarães, Dec 28, 2010.

1. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
  2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't forget Toninho Cerezo.

3. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    They were all special in their own ways (Serginho and keeper Peres excepted.) I consider them more entertaining than the Brazilian 1970 and 1958 sides.

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, I think they played better than the 58, 62 or 70 teams that did win the World Cup. They were unfortunate to meet a team that knew how to exploit their weakness: the centerbacks and keeper. Even so, Brazil would still have won the match and that cup had Paolo Rossi not had the match of his life, which is also, in my opinion, the second greatest individual performance in a WC match (after Diego against England in 86). By the way, I feel that Argentina, at that point eliminated, showed Italy the way to send Brazil off through el Pelado's goal at the very end.

5. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Maradona (to me) could have been the player of that Cup with more experience. He hit the post with free kicks against both Belgium and Italy (games Argentina lost by one goal) and was criminally treated by every opponent except Hungary.

Rossi was spectacular against Brazil and had at least one legitimate penalty denied. Other than a very special game against Brazil, Italy´s flair in 1982 was somewhat exaggerated. Both their goals against Argentina, their second goal against Poland, and their last two against West Germany came off counters. It could be argued that they would have struggled against more defensively cohesive teams.

6. Winston2000

Winston2000 New Member

Apr 22, 2009
    a forgotten master from the early 80's is Mario Sergio.

check him vs HSV in the 1983 intercontinental cup

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl9xuvOJIpU"]Mario Sergio - Forgotten Footballers Part 2 (4Dfoot) - YouTube[/ame]