Eads Brigade - the GCSC has renamed!

Discussion in 'Eads Brigade' started by Sport Billy, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you guys should consider redesigning the Eads Brigade logo and make it simpler. It's good now, but just has way to much stuff on it.

For example, the most obvious thing is the 3 fleur-de-lis. One is okay, but you don't really need 3, that's overkill and redundant. Also, there is just way to many symbols in general. I know all of them represent St. Louis in some way, but you don't need to put every symbol on the crest.

The bridge span and the statue are good because the bridge connects the name and the statue connects to the SLSU logo. I haven't decided if I like the sword and crown, although the way the crown is hanging always makes me want to reach out and straighten it. Also, I think the river would look better if it did not have the curves, more like a sash. And the soccer ball just looks weird wrapped around the statue.

I appreciate all the work you guys have done and I'm not trying to tear down your design which I'm sure you worked very hard on and are very proud of, I'm just offering some constructive criticism. Again, I think it is a good design, but that doesn't mean it can't be made better.

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Thanks, but you're waaaaayyyy ttttttoooooo lllllaaaatttteeee

But so you know:
    The three fleur-de-lis serve multiple purposes.
    1. St. Louis is located at the confluence of three rivers. (Mississippi, Missouri, Illinois)
    2. The club (currently St. Louis Soccer United) will have three elements: MLS, WPS, Youth.
    3. It also is representative of Illinois, St. Louis City, and St. Louis County.

The river has curves, because that "curve" is well-known as being the location of St. Louis.
    The bridge spans that well-known curve to show that Eads Brigade will be the bridge to fans on both sides of the river.

The crown represents royalty as St. Louis was named after King Louis IX and that historically, St. Louis has been the kings of soccer in this country.

The Sword is a symbol of strength and a willingness to defend our team. Likewise, the Embattled Line shows that we are a fortress for all those passionate about St. Louis soccer.

The placement of the soccer ball is important as it is representative of the idea the the entire metropolitan area is being brought together for the sport. You'll notice that the circle of the ball contains parts of both states.

St. Louis is in the middle of the ball to represent that "St. Louis" is the focus of this team - with the youth program, the idea behind this team is not just MLS - it is to raise the level soccer itself in our city.

3. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I see it is that if it takes all of that to explain it then it is way to complicated, which is my point. You don't need all of the symbols and metaphors to make it a symbol of St. Louis soccer because it will already represent all of those things also. You don't have to prove that it represents St. Louis. The reason the SLSU logo is so great is because it is simple and isn't packed with all this symbolism. But then again, I have always liked simple designs.

And as far as being too late. I know you guys have already ordered scarfs, but to suggest that it can't be updated and improved seems narrow minded.
    When you are starting something new like a supporters club, you should always be looking for ways to improve it in every area.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Thanks for your opinion, but we are not going to change it after having scarves made, website, etc. The whole process was discussed over many months. It's not like we just did it one night and went with it. Sorry you're not happy with it.

5. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    As someone who's lived here most of my life, I didn't need the explaination, it was pretty self-explanitory, even without having been one of the more active members in the design process.

A lot of people put a lot of time into the crest, taking information from just about every poster who wanted to voice an opinion. What they came up with was a result of a collective effort, with a few leaders who, for obvious reasons, did have more sway than most people. The fact that one person is now voicing displeasure with it, hardly seems like a reason to throw away what so many people put so much into.

In the end, the crest will not make or break the supporters club, any more than the potential team's eventual colors will make or break their chances of succeeding. If it does prevent you from wanting to be a part of it, that's unfortunate.

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the logo is great and the fact that there is some meaning behind it and that some thought went into it shows the dedication of the group. The logo won't make or break the decision as to whether we get a team, but it does show how committed the Eads Brigade is to the St. Louis expansion effort and to getting a team here.

7. spurgin

spurgin Member

Jun 28, 2000
    Lawrence, KS
    Just want to voice my support for St. Louis soccer!

Am a little torn, though. I would love to see a stadium in downtown St. Louis or closer to the St. Louis burbs as I think having a stadium across the river will hamper how often folks get over to see The 'Lou play. FOREST PARK BABY!!!!

8. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis

Um....the stadium would be in Collinsville. That IS the St. Louis 'burbs.

9. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was the watch party?

The game at the stadium was a blast. I had a number of people inquire about my scarf. I proudly told them it was from the supporter group of the about to be awarded franchise in St. Louis. They were all encouraging. My seatts happened to be in front of the Hunt Sports group box at the HDC. Every time I saw the camera pan near us I held the scarf up over my head. I think they were perplexed.

10. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA8j8BIS5CU"]YouTube - Eads Brigade - MLS Draft 2009 "Hey Garber"[/ame]