E.J. or JOB- if you had to pick one...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SaigonStriker, Dec 17, 2005.

1. SaigonStriker

SaigonStriker New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    I've been going back and forth over this...in a hypothetical scenario...if you could only pick E.J. or JOB to be healthy/in top form at the WC, who would you pick?

Cases can be made for both and they both add a dimension to our team that nobody else does.

All that being said, I'm going with E.J., because our team is so used to playing without JOB.

2. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Why pick either or? They play different positions and there's room on the roster for both.

However, I'll play your game.

If he's healthy, I'd have to go with JOB. He played well in 2002 and brings experience to our team.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    EJ.

For the reason you cited, and we have more of a need for an in-form striker than midfielder.

I like JOB dont get me wrong, but an inform EJ has much more upside for our particular team.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Both. Sorry I didn't play the game by the rules.

5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here, we need both of them..A healthy JOB will do wonders for our midfield and a healthy EJ will definately help out our attack.

6. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I'll go with EJ as well.

I think his athleticism would cause our opponents more problems than JOB's skill in midfield.

7. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JOB especially with the group we face. Much of the strength of the teams we face is in the midfield.

8. Katsbox

Katsbox New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    LBC
    EJ. You gotta score to win and I don't think we've had a real spark up front since he's been injured.

9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ

As has been said, gotta score goals to win.

10. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Eddie J. Like others have said, you have to score to win. I can see us dominating games still gettin shut out if EJ is not around.

11. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    JOB. Too often I have seen what the US team is like without someone who is organized and composed in the midfield. It is not a pretty sight, and there are no guarantees that Reyna will be healthy (and remember we are aaaasssssuuuuuuming in this thread that JOB is healthy)

12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ because I know we have Mastro who will help fill the gap

13. LSUnited

LSUnited Member

Feb 11, 2004
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My vote is for a 100% healthy JOB. Give me the guy who's proven himself on the highest international stage. EJ hasn't done that yet, but to be fair, he hasn't had the opportunity yet.

14. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel the gap if JOB is not there?

15. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JOB, by far has much more talent than EJ, and is an all around better soccer player

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson.

don't ge wrong i want John O' Brien to be there but a healthy Claudio Reyna could make up for an injured JOB. Reyna and JOB are almost the same style player and we don't have another player in our selection that is a big, strong, super fast with a lot of flair striker.

i can't wait till 2010 to see the Adu/Johnson combo.

17. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    They do not play the same position do they? However if I had to choose one over the other it would be EJ in a heart beat. It frees Donovan to play right flank mid or an inside midfield position.

18. The Lion Keeper

The Lion Keeper New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    In the 18. Dallas
    I'd go with JOB. As others have said, we can use the proven international
    experience.
    From what I have seen of EJ, I think too many people are fantasizing about how good he is. In my opinion, he is way overrated by many American fans.
    In his best form, I think he would have a hard time seeing time in Germany. I think he would make the team though, being that we don't have many talented strikers, McBride being our best.
    I hope EJ can prove me wrong though.
    I have watched him play for a few years here in Dallas and on the NT. Beside coming in against an already defeated Panama team and scoring 3, what has he done. You could tell, Panama didn't feel like playing anymore before he scored his goals.
    He got the Golden boot award at the U17 World Cup for scoring the most goals. I think they were all PK's with the exception of maybe one. Not even PK's created by his attack in the box.
    I wish the guy well, but I am amazed at how many people in here look to him to be some sort of savior for the U.S. team. To me, he hasn't proven to be that great yet.

19. Treat2506

Treat2506 New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    JOB, btw this should be a poll. The only way I would have said EJ is i he would have scored goal at the Azteca. JOB has too much to offer this team in the middle of the field. Donovan and McHead are proven up top at the Cup. I'll take JOB's all-around game.

20. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree, but on I look at it as a positional choice. We have a couple of players that rival JOB or can almost fill his shoes in midfield.

What are our options for strikers? We are thinner with depth in that position.

For me, it doesnt come down to who is the "better" player. It comes down to where which position we need individual performance.

21. R1234

R1234 New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    home
    JOB, I also think EJ is slightly overratted, although its not like I wouldn't take both of them if I could.

22. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Mr. Johnson. Speed, speed, speed. We'll need a true breakaway threat since the counter will be our lone attacking option IMO.

23. Katsbox

Katsbox New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    LBC
    Exactly.

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's some good arguments for each player, but I've gotta go with EJ. We need more strikers.

25. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    JOB, we'll need his experience in the midfield against Italy and the Czechs. EJ will be a late second half sub for McBride.

What I really don't know enough about is EJ's ability on set pieces, how good is he?

Lastly how about putting a new and more proper perspective on this question: EJ or Twellman? or Dempsey? Ching?

Let's get one thing straight, Landon Donovan is the key to our success in Germany.