Dyson's Practice Notes 6/18/03

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by cherno, Jun 18, 2003.

1. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    "In MLS, you might get someone who is a wily veteran, who can position himself properly to stop attacks. On the other hand, you might get a player that uses incredible physical skills to cover any mistakes. However, Ivanov is the first that combines both, and does it with such ease."

Has Eddie Pope been gone that long?

3. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    I hope not...

The comment about looking at the UMD players as potential draft picks is something I hope does not happen after seeing what happen with this year's picks. This is perhaps the worst possible place for a young player to be drafted in MLS.

4. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    What language did Dema and Ivanov use? Does Dema speak Bulgarian? Does Galin speak Ukrainian? Did they both speak Russian? How much of a problem is language to Galin? I wonder how many people he has he can talk with.

5. mikesterw

mikesterw New Member

May 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY
    As always a great job by Diceson.

6. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess they both speak Russian. It is still taught in Bulgarian schools and I'm sure it's the same in Ukraine. At the time these two were in school it was probably mandatory. It seems unlikely that Dema would know any Bulgarian or Galin would know any Ukrainian but I could be wrong.

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel bad for Nicky but this sounds good to me. Sorry Hristo but after report #1 sorry but welcome to the world of full time coach. :( :)

8. Great job, Diceson. Almost felt like I took part in the practice. Do you do game summarys also?

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I like this from Ivanov.

Why is D.C. United's defense so good this season?

"That's our job.

10. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    EXCELLENT report Diceson!

Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks for the link cherno.

11. CheeseFoodProduct

CheeseFoodProduct New Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Alexandria
    Club:
    DC United
    i remember many times people complaining on these boards about pope being beaten because of poor positioning. i think diceson has a great point about the lack of a total defender in the league. it will be interesting to see if ivanov reaches these lofty heights.

12. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Dyson.

As a former Washington Post employee (although on the business side) I fancy myself a decent judge of good writing.

You're better than good. Much, much better.

Thanks. Incredibly enjoyable reading.

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll disagree with you here. While I don't watch much European ball, I've never seen a defender better at anticipating the play and being in the proper position to snuff out attacks before they start (I'm not saying that there is none better, I just haven't seen him).

Pope is in a class by himself in MLS and frankly, 5 games out of Ivanov isn't enought to convince me that he is as good as, let alone better than, Eddie Pope.

14. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    silvio (sp?) seems to have missed a wide open sitter and hit the cross bar twice. then again cureton scored off a PK (comparable to a sitter) and a run of play goal. cureton sounds better especially since he seems to have lady luck more in his favor.

15. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Nice article Dyson, thanks!

As for the Silvio, Cureton, etc., I think it's encouraging that Cureton found the net and that Silvio was so close. It appears as if they're on a 4 day trial, so let's not make any hasty decisions, 4 days is certainly hasty enough. Remember, Joares and Dalglish each scored every practice as well, and we didn't sign them. But, this sounds exactly like the scouting report the Reading fans were giving on Cureton, lethal finisher who always seems to be in the right place at the right time, and if you give him a shot he'll bury it. Regardless of how his trial goes, he's still probably too expensive.

On the Ivanov thing, I'd have to disagree with you Dyson. IMHO, Ivanov's foot skills are already very good, and his distribution is a real strength. But, every time I've seen him play he makes at least one atrocious defensive play and puts the defense in a terrible position. Luckily for him--and United--Prideaux, Petke and Rimando have saved him most of the time and the lack of finishing helped him out the rest. But much like the Columbus Crew back line, poor defensive play will be punished eventually. Hopefully he adjusts to the speed of MLS, but regardless of what he says about Bulgarian soccer now, it's clear that he's making poor decisions every game, so he's not quite adjusted to the higher level of play. Hopefully he does, because his skills with the ball are clearly his strength.

-Digital

16. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Ivanov reminds me a bit of David Regis. He has great skills with the ball, makes beautifully effortless stops most of the time, and then gets horribly beat once each game.