Dyson's Notes and Quotes 7/30

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by PCC from DC, Jul 30, 2003.

1. http://www.dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=195863

Yet again, a great job by Dice.

John, you're just getting better and better with the direction and directness of your questions. Anything you can add to what Goff reported this morning--about the Pavon negotiations or Hristo's green card?

2. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Not quite sure what to make of these comments Hudson made about Convey. Is he saying that Convey needs an attitude adjustment -- he seems to be suggesting that Convey just plays his own game and is not a team player. Is he just saying that he wants to see Convey play at his best?

"But I've got to have it in that structure and unity and not allow anybody, and that goes for Bobby Convey as well, to not have the freedom to play that 'McDonald's football'- to do whatever he wants, as long as he's having a good happy meal. Those days are gone. We cannot afford to do that."

"Now Bobby has got to come with the right attitude. He's got to lay himself out again for this team this year. He's a capable tremendous young talent, and we've missed him. And we welcome him back. But we want to see the best of Bobby."

"We've said it before. We had words with [Convey]last year, as you know, when we rattled his cage, and he responded tremendously well. I think it was the Colorado game as well, and he responded. I think there will be a tale to be told when Bobby comes back. He can have a profound effect on this team, and he has to."

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    It appears Earnie will start once he is back. Does that mean we are back to the 3-5-2?

------Ali---Hristo-----
    ----Convey---Dema---
    Stewart----------Olsen
    --------Nelsen--------
    Priedux---Petke----Namoff
    ---------Rimando-------

or will it be a 4-4-2 with Earnie up front in place of Hristo and Nellie in the back line?

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he wants Convey to step in and start acting like the Standard Bearer. That he is eventually the captain of the team so play like it. I think he wants Convey to show leadership and such even though he one of the youngest he's been at DC for what 3 years?

BTW, that 3-5-2 shape is a big Gamble. U need an extra Holding Midfielder. Just having 4 mean behind the Half Line is dangerous.

5. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    Ray's Bobby comments

I don't know, but I kind of think that Ray is calling Bobby to be more of team player. I've personnally had concerns about Bobby on this idea. Sometimes it seems that Bobby tries to do too much by himself. I could be looking only at one thing or two, but I've also thought that Bobby tries to stand out too much, hence, the McDonald's mention. I think of the McDonalds Basketball game for highschool kids an arena for the kids to make highlight reels. It's like they are trying to make sure that either the camera or the eye watches them. While Bobby has grown up quite a bit, and I think that he's had an exceptional oportunity to work with someone as professional as Earnie Stewart over the last few months, I think that Ray is worried that he'll return to the line-up a little cocky.

That's just my thought. Either way, we're better off with Convey in the game than we are without him.

6. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Great job Dyson (as usual).

Actually, I have a totally different read of Hudson's comments. I don't take the "MacDonald's" paragraph as aimed at Convey. Instead, to me it reads as "our players need to be focused on the team, work harder as a team, give it up for the team. And, oh yeah--that includes Convey too." In otherwords, I didn't read that as a comment or message directed at Convey. It's just that Hudson tends to use a singular pronoun ("he") when speaking so it comes off as if the comments are directed individually when I think it's a collective demand he's making here.

What I did see as directed as Convey was the question about "transitioning from Marco to Bobby" and Hudson instead says "yep, we're going to challenge Bobby--expect great things of him. We did it last year and he responded."

One last comment. As a coach myself, I come off the field from a training session and my mind is whirling around with what I've seen. When parents then stop to ask me questions (often about admin stuff) I know for a fact I'm less than coherent. I compliment Ray on his accessibility and willingness to talk to Diceson and others--that's one of this strengths. But let's also assume that sometimes the stuff that comes out of his mouth right after practice is less than accurate--not deceptive, just jumbled at times--b/c his focus has been elsewhere.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think the answer is yes on both counts. I'm usually the one that's paranoid about Ray diminishing Convey's role on the team and I see nothing wrong with these comments along those lines. If anything he's putting Convey to the challenge of leading the team the way he did at the end of last season. But in order for that happen again Convey needs to come in with the proper attitude ... an attitude that perhaps he sometimes lacks.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    How about we wait until Bobby has trained and played with the team before we discuss his attitude.

Maybe its a preemptive strike, since Bobby has been with the Nat's senior team for so long, Ray wants to nip an attitude problems in in the bud.

9. socsportsfan

socsportsfan New Member

Jun 22, 2003
    he seems to be an assistant coach now on the under 20 . read that he took players aside and instructed them in what they should be doing!! so maybe he will be hudson's assistant now!

10. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Ray's Bobby comments

I think you're reading far too much into the McDonald's comment. Ray says the following:

"...not allow anybody, and that goes for Bobby Convey as well, to not have the freedom to play that 'McDonald's football'- to do whatever he wants, as long as he's having a good happy meal."

Sounds to me like Ray is saying to forget about trying to play the standard definition of "entertaining, attractive soccer" and concentrate on getting the job of winning done.

11. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Irony?

Pretty funny article really. While people here were questioning Marco Etcheverry's alleged prima dona attitude (Marco is upset, Marco refuses to share duties, Marco isn't a team player etc etc...) It is in reality Bobby Convey who had some comments directed at him for his primadona (or potential for) attitude.

This isn't the first time that I have heard rumblings from people associated with the team about Bobby either. --We just don't have a Big Soccer faction that loves to pontificate on it...

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, try me before kickoff, I'm either speaking in tounges or grunting like a caveman...no way my mouth can keep oup with my brain at that point...

13. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Hmmm, I may be in left field here (sorry about the rawhide reference), but I have a different take on the McDonald's comment. I agree with TCompton that Ray is alluding to the McDonald's All-American Basketball Game played here in DC. It's all individual. But the part about doing whatever he wants and it's OK as long as he's having a good happy meal is saying that Convey needs to consistently demand the ball if he's going to play central midfield. He cannot disappear for long stretches, he needs to be intricately involved both offensively and defensively at all times.

While I'm a huge Convey fan, I also think that Convey needs to demand the ball more and be more consistent with his defensive intensity. This kid has a Paul Scholes type game and should be making a bigger impact. Regardless of what faults Etch or Hristo may have, they're always available and showing for the ball. Convey sometimes gets caught upfield of wide without providing the constant option in the center. When you play central attacking midfielder you need to always be the first option of every midfielder. They can choose to play the ball elsewhere, but they should always have you as a primary option. So, you need to be available all the time. Tracking to the ball, demanding the ball, vocally insisting on the ball, these are things that Convey needs to improve. For United, he makes a lot of wonderful plays, but doesn't always make that smooth transition from the end of that play back into his natural position as a central passing option.

-Digital

14. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Some updates from Wednesday's practice:

- Alegria is back in town and did practice on Wednesday.

- Curtis is out for an unknown amount of time. As I understand it he is fighting tonsilitis. The team was giving him antibiotics to help fight the infection.

- The team will return to practice on Monday.

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How exactly are the antibiotics being administered if they need the whole team to be giving it to him?

"Everybody grab a limb and Marco, you put it where nobody else can..."

16. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Thank you for making me laugh out loud at work.