News: Dynamo Stadium Thread: Deal Reached

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by El Naranja, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Re: Dynamo Offered New Stadium By Private Ownership

Come on Uncle Phil, lets pull this off!

2. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The funny thing it doesn't matter what city you're talking about, when stadium plans (or pretty much anything soccer-related) is talked about on a major TV news station or newspaper's website you read the same basic comments...almost word for word.

From a Boston Globe article about Boston sports

From an Delco Times article about the Chester stadium

Here's a great name suggestion from back when the Sounders were picking a name.

The idiots are nationwide.

3. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dunno, the one from Delco Times isn't that bad. It's just his opinion, which you may or may not agree with. And it's more substance than "soccer sucks" or "soccer still exists?"

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not clear on a couple of things.

Is the new stadium site within the same political jurisdictions as the original site? (same city? same county?) Do these jurisdictions get the same tax income regardless of the site that is picked?

In the new stadium, is there a requirement to partner with the college pointyball team?

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

The new site is still within the City of Houston and Harris County but it is in a different County Commissioner precinct. It is adjacent to the City of Bellaire.

The tax situation would have to be worked out. The plan at the original site was to have the stadium owned by the City/County and on land owned by the City of Houston so presumably the Dynamo would not have been paying property taxes. Obviously other taxes may have paid. This new site is privately owned but the plan is so preliminary we don't know what sort of tax situation would be involved.

There was never any "partnering" with the TSU football team. TSU made an agreement with the Dynamo to play at the proposed east downtown site. One of the County Commissioners indicated that was a requirement for them to get involved with funding for the stadium. If the new site works out TSU might still be playing their games in the Dynamo Stadium but still as a tenant and with less of requirement that they do so.

6. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks. I also remember something about the Dynamo having to set aside 10% or so of their tickets to be sold at the prevailing movie theater price. I suppose that and other "concessions" to the City/County will no longer be tied to the stadium if it is built in the new location. Correct?

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVoH5KbC8Ig"]YouTube- Jimmy Fallon Doing Neil Young Doing Will Smith[/ame]

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Maybe. We don't know anything about the details of this new plan. The developers at the new site may try to get TIRZ money or some other kind of breaks from the City/County.

Way, way too soon to tell about the new site.

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The main importance of the new site is that unlike DCU, who had no alternative to Poplar Point, the Dynamo now have a second viable option (even if it isn't as sweet a deal as the downtown stadium).

And now, the county has to make a decision. Before this new proposal El Franco Lee could just sit on this issue because it wasn't going anywhere without him. Now with private property if AEG wants to do this there's nothing Franco can do.

10. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Below is the most current, detailed rendering of Dynamo Stadium that has ever surfaced.

Still Second Class?!?

[​IMG]

and to answer someone's question, will the design change. If the Dynamo want to spend more money on it, Populous (formerly HOK) will do it. Or the land developer (Midway Cos.) could always pay for it to be looped in with the developments overall design.

Those of you in Houston, if you want an example of Midway's work, see CityCenter, the redevlopment of the old Town & Country Mall site.

12. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Heh. Funny you should mention Barca. Barcelona want to remodel their stadium with a roof. Finally Nou Camp will be first class.

[​IMG]

13. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know right? Just because I love my Auburn Tigers means I can't like soccer. I certainly never go to Auburn Women's Soccer games and would never support an MLS Atlanta team.

Gotta love the rest of the country's misconceptions, I'm trying to figure out a good time to go watch the Beat play whenever they put up a schedule.

And Mr. Warmth, I'm sure he meant it would simply be a nicer looking place with a full roof. I certainly think so, but I don't think it would be so bad without one. I'm just excited about nearly all teams having their own stadiums with more on the way. I just happen to like the roof addition on most soccer stadiums and I know I would rather stand in the shade/dry than the sun/rain for any event. :)

BTW the Nou Camp is a monstrosity with or without a roof...it looks like a four year old went psycho with a box of crayons on that rendering...

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Not unless you wanna be a pinko. Soccer's like Neil Young, a Southern Man don't need it around anyhow. ;)

15. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I'm glad you understood it was a joke since garnet&blackattack didn't.

16. nationalsoccerradio

nationalsoccerradio New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. This is like saying "well, Scarlett Johansson, i'm flattered you want to sleep with me, but i'm afraid I'm going to go play golf with my buddies tomorrow morning, and I don't want to be tired out."

OK, maybe not, but still, it's a nice thought.

17. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well to be fair when you read things the tone can be misinterpreted, but yeah that was clearly a joke coming from another in SEC country.

Stan you are off the mark though soccer isn't like Neil Young, soccer never did anything to anybody. Neil Young ran his mouth in a song and so the beautiful lyrics of Lynyrd Skynyrd came to fruition. :D

18. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

That sound that went flying over your head at 35k feet; that wasn't a plane but the point I was making.

People on this board associate "roof on all sides" to be European and first class. They tend to ignore the fact that quite a few stadiums on the southern part of the continent (like Spain, France, and Italy) don't have roofs that go all the way around. I doubt anyone wouldn't call Nou Camp a first class stadium; however, it only has a roof on one side. Stadiums in the northern part of the continent tend to have roofs on all sides; I'm not sure if it is due to climate or not though.

It is about time. How can they expect people to take them seriously if they don't have a full roof? I guess that is why Henry wants to come to NY. He can't take another year of staying in a stadium that isn't up to European standards.

19. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

*Salivating*

20. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

"The cost is expected to be 250 million Euros. The new designs are said to be inspired by Gaudi’s that can be seen all around Barcelona. The exterior, made of a mixture of polycarbonate and glass panels, will be able to change colour allowing the outside of the stadium to be used for light displays at night or as a giant TV screen."

21. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you need a roof over at least 75% of the seats to be eligible to host a Champions League final, although exceptions are allowed IIRC

22. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So that makes it the most expensive box of crayolas ever...doesn't change the fact that its hideous. Modern art < Michelangelo. Nou Camp < Nearly every stadium I have ever seen.

23. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

let's try this again.

"The exterior, made of a mixture of polycarbonate and glass panels, will be able to change colour allowing the outside of the stadium to be used for light displays at night or as a giant TV screen."

but yeah, who would want their team playing in 100K+ seat stadium that can display video highlights as big as a skyscraper as you approach.

24. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Still doesn't change the fact that the exterior as it is with that hectic multi-colored scheme looks bad, you probably like modern art don't you? Sure it's cool to show some stuff on it, but you could get that effect with a large projector for a lot less...the design still sucks. The Bird's Nest in China is a good stadium design, Wembley is a good stadium design, a gigantic abstract TV is not a good stadium design.

25. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

You walk around Barcelona and you'll understand that this stadium will barely stand out.