Dynamo Stadium Episode I: A New Home

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a bad comparison. The location is equivalent. The Dynamo are going to take the midfield and lower bowl seats in the new stadium and make them premium seats. Thus the "common man" will only be able to afford corners and endline seats. The Dynamo FO has basically already publicly said that is the strategy.

We'll all have a fair choice. It's just a value proposition. But don't think the corners and endzone seats will be much better priced.

The reason why they want a two-year committment on the club seats is that if the team sucks in 2012 and the experience at the new stadium isn't all that great, folks will bail quickly on those seats (go look at how many club PSLs for the Texans are available out there on ebay).

I almost wonder if they won't put the home game on in HD next year to make folks come to the stadium.

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Disagree that they are equivalent because we have no real club seats as compared to every sport. If the rob had s club those seats would be priced premium now.

Also my understanding is it is the middle two sections all the way down. Hardly relegates folks to the corner.

We shall see what common man pricing is. I do agree that people should prepare to pay though.

3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a friend tell me tonight she saw the same thing, the seats below the suites are over 1800/year and the ones above the suites 1700. That's for the center section equivalent to 204 upper section and 104.
    I agree with your comments, I hope they rethink their pricing, especially for long-time season ticket holders.

4. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after reading these last few posts.. i was ready to invest on more MLS match day apps and some wi-fi cards....

i love my seats now and i know i won't get anything as good in the new stadium and i really hate the endzone seating; thats why i'm not joining the SGs. Something better be affordable next year.....

5. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If true, then I hope they choose a very interesting pattern for the seats, because the cameras will be showing lots of empty seats :)

Seriously, that stadium can be 400% better than Roberston Stadium, but those prices and 2 horrible seasons will surely turn it into South Pizza Hut Park.

I love soccer, but I don't think trying to charge MLB prices makes sense, MLS can have Major as part of their name, but Major it is not, as I said, I love soccer, so I support MLS and my local team, but trying to charge that much just because we will have an SSS, well, I'm afraid economics will be able to accomplish what sucking as a team has not, turn many of us into TV viewers.

It just doesn't make sense, this is the country in which you have so many choices when it comes to soccer, from 4 to 6 MLS games on TV, akmost all of the Mexican league games, from 3 to 5 Premier League games, 2 or 3 La Liga games, at least 1 Serie A, at least 1 Bundesliga, lots of Champions League games, heck, I got the Spanish tv package for my wife 2 months ago and now I even get 1 game from Ecuador, one game from Chile and one from Central America every week, and all of Copa Libertadores games.

I love going to the stadium, but if they force me to do the same thing I do for MLB, NFL, NBA (I go to 2 Texans games, 5 or 6 Rockets games and 10-12 Astros games), I can still get more than enough games on TV to get my fix and a lot more.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we'll just disagree. The design schematic I recall seeing took out the middle 3 or 4 sections as club but that was from my recollection of the leaked detail design docs.

You also have to assume that ANY lower bowl ticket (since there will only be about 10 rows below the suites) will be a high-priced ticket compared to Robertson. So you are basically blocking out the lower bowl and the middle sideline sections for high priced tickets, leaving penalty box and endzone seats for normal folks.

Now, the 30 yard line seats may be very good at the new stadium compared to midfield seats at Robertson but I tend to think not for the current 203-205 crowd.

Point is, most folks have a demand for good viewing seats, not the premium experience. But the business model is based upon the premium experience and pricing. So we'll see what wins out.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man I agree with you on this. You'll see the same pattern that shows up in games from RSL and a few other places - empty midfield seats then crowded or clustered folks around the 30-yard line or penalty-box seats where people didn't want to pay the extra $40 per game to get the club seats. How the price the eastside or TV showing seats will be interesting.

I'm a fortunate guy who can afford the more expensive seats - but do I really want to take a $1,400-$1,500 annual committment for 4 seats and turn it into a $4,000 plus committment for seats that aren't as good as the ones we have now? And who knows what the hassle factor will be like Downtown.

You'll probably see more split season tickets than before or folks who just decide that watching on HD for 75% of the games and going on StubHub for the rest is good enough.

8. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly can't afford the supposedly new prices, so I will not even have a choice, the choice will be made by the Dynamo FO, unless the price for behind the goal seats will be affordable.

The thing is, what will be a better experience?

Watching 3/4 of the games on TV and watching every replay, not missing anything, seeing different angles, not having to line up to get anything but not getting the stadium vibe, not feeling the electricity of being there?

Having the stadium vibe, feeling that electricity, jumping, hugging and almost kissing stranger every time the team scores but not really seeing exactly what is happening on the other half of the field, guessing or using my imaginaton on many plays and paying maybe more than I'm paying right now for much better seats?

I can't complain, they don't owe me nothing, I believe in free enterprise, I also don't owe them anything, they will do what they feel is better for them, I will do the same.

I love the Opera, I love the Theater, I love the Symphony, I go to every Opera because they charge a lot less for the 3rd level on the midweek show, they charge even less if you buy season tickets, I go to many Alley Theater productions because they have reduced prices for some seats for the midweek show and the Sunday show of the bigger stage, I don't go to any Symphony shows because they have only expensive tickets for every show, I wait for them to go to the Woodlands Pavilion for free (besides, I live in the area, closer and free).

I love soccer, but I can't argue with the economy.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's cheese dicks like some of ya'll that remind me how empty Hurricanes games were cuz "staying home" is an option to discuss between us American soccer "fans".
    Seats! Who gives a flying ********, I'm just glad to have a team that won't be moving anywhere soon for the next 4 decades.
    Please be thankful to our high priced owners n their seats cuz a) it should surprise no one and b) just come stand with us for really great breaks on the prices. If you have to sit then perhaps the couch is indeed your best approach to save money n sit down for free. Sigh.

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So yall are complaining that you wont be able to afford premium and suite seats?

Get over yourselves. The tix will be plenty affordable and there are lots of them. Just keep in mind that DP is roughly a third smaller than The Rob.

11. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sort of got side tracked. Dnesbitt and I were talking about the prices for comparable 204 seats, the other guys took it to mean the whole stadium I think. Of course we will still be able to afford to go to the games, that's not the issue I don't think (though some people want to make it one). I just want to be able to sit in the same area I've been sitting in since the first game in 2006. I already know that's not an option, since that is where the suites will be, I assumed below the suites would be very expensive but also above the suites seem to be also. I think the best option is going to be the opposite side of the stadium, and I don't think the sun will be such an issue as it is now. Whatever, all the seats will be good so I'm ok. I just would prefer that I didn't have to pay 5x what I pay now to sit where I have always been.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw all the "your not a hardcore supporter, just a poser if you won't cut yourself and bleed for the Orange" insults at me, but I can tell you my opinion is far more common amongst the Dynamo STHs than yours, evidenced by the amount of no-shows you see when the team starts to slide like last year (and this year a bit, announced attendance or not).

I'm sitting at home and watching on HD rather than sitting in the upper corner or endzone. That's my preference. And it's not 4X the experience at Robertson. We'll see how things price out.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is probably the best comment. Remember the FO is going to end up selling us seats based upon a computer generated image, not a pick your seat day.

14. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to afford tickets, period, the prices they are discussing would not be affordable for me for 19 games.

I can't afford to be a STH in baseball, American football or basketball (not that I would buy season tickets for basketball), and that is ok for me, but soccer I do want to be a STH.

I want tickets, I don't need them to be in the middle, I don't need them to be on the bottom, but I don't want them to be behind the goals either, I want to see every play my team makes , I can go behind the goals a few games, but I need to see what is happening on the pitch most of the games.

Just to give you an example, I would have no problem with going to (excuse the use of the American football reference) the last row of seats between the 10 and the 20 yard and paying 204 section in Roberston Stadium prices.

I will have to wait for the prices, but if I can't afford tickets, I can't afford tickets, the choice is an easy one, house, car, groceries, taxes first and then everything else.

As I said, I will not complain, the Dynamo needs to do whatever is best for them, they don't owe me or anyone else anything, they are noy a charity, if I can't attend every game, then there is TV and mini plans, no biggie, I'm just saying they need to find a balance not to make tickes affordable to me, but a balance in which their stadium will always have more than 80% occupation.

It would be sad to have lots of games with 20,000+ fans on a crappy stadium to move to a beautifil SSS to have 9,000 fans on a regular basis and 12,000 or 13,000 in some games instead of the 20,000 we get here and there.

I'm sure in the end they will find the right balance to make it profitable for them and having lots of fans in the seats.

15. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm willing to bet that the non-bench side will be the bench side of today. Personally I never understood to obvious obsession with being on the bench side for a substantial price increase. The game seems to be played pretty evenly around the field and I can hear a coach cuss at players at any local match around town. If the TV cameras remain on the bench side, this could make for a better looking crowd anyway.

Newtex, where will the sun be setting in relation to the field orientation?

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    First, the bench side will be roughly the same as in the current stadium. The benches, the press box, and the cameras will be on the "West" side of the stadium.

However, the new field will run NE to SW. The sun will mostly be behind the "South" endzone as it gets later in the day. It will actually set somewhere around the corner closest to Lucky's. The worst area for looking into the sun will be the "North" endzone but there are very few seats there. The "East" side of the new stadium should be much less sunny than at Robertson due to this change in orientation and the roof.

17. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The brochure was handed out to the Club Seat holders at the game. Here is the relevant part with my notations as to seat pricing. The brochure did not address the other seats in the stadium.

If I wish to maintain the same seats that I have currently it will be a $475.00 increase per seat. The 200 level would be $375 per seat.

In this economy, I think there will be some problems getting everyone who has club level seats to re-up at the comparable level unless they allow for some kind of staggered payment options.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can see some problems happening if the folks who are currently club level at the Rob, do want want to pony up the additional 375-475 for their seats at the 100 and 200 levels. They could very well decide that the mid section of the other side is more preferable and depending on their STH preference # displace some of the folks who are currently expecting to have the same seat locations.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are partially right - the orientation of the setting sun right now is more West-Northwest at this time of year, goes more Southwest in the fall and spring.

Presumably, the height of the stadium and canopy will put the East seats in the sun less than they are now at Robertson.

One neat thing that the FO should do is do what KC and I think NYRB did, which was overlay the sunfield on the seats at various times of the year so that folks could see how much they would be in the sun for say a September day game.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All excellent observations and questions.

Other than making an observation that they are basically taking the entire midfield bench-side and turning them into premium seating (and I think it will span the entire center 1/3rd of the field) here is my expectation of how things will go:

1) The FO is going to try and sell/upsell everyone on premium seats first. I suspect that the first offering of premium seats will be made without knowing what the rest of the stadium will be priced at, trying to pry committments out of folks in a "Let's Make a Deal" we're not sure what's behind door number 3 kind of way. This is standard auto dealership-technique stuff that I'm sure dynamorocky has committed to his mental hard drive from the Texans. Try to get an emotional decision out of the current STHs and not an analytical one.

2) Your exact question of how much more is the "experience" worth at the new stadium as compared to Robertson is the hardest one to answer. Adding to the quandry for most is that is that you will be buying based upon a computer generated graphic. Take into consideration that those with kids and jobs often miss 10-30% of the games each year and you really have to ask how much are you willing to go all-in on season tickets.

2012 is a particular challenge because it is likely we'll have a compressed home schedule, which means a few instances of 3 games at home in 10 days which can be trying for folks with other committments.

We also don't know how good the season ticket holder discount will be vs. day of game sales.

3) How they price the rest of the stadium will probably be a greater determinant of how they do in tickets sales than the premium seats. There will always be folks will buy the most expensive seats, club seats, etc. and then never go to the games. I always love how club seats is the one area where you can charge more to get in AND charge more for the same food, like the mahogany on the bar makes the beer taste better.

Season ticket expenses are a rounding error for many of these folks. That said . . . .

4) The FO better not overestimate the appeal of the Dynamo, even to folks with good to great levels of disposable income. I can tell you that many teams in the NFL and elsewhere that always had sellouts and waiting lists and never had to really sell tickets have gone thru their entire waiting list and back for more and still can't move some of these premium seats. They are available, but the teams still act like they are sold out - they just don't publicize that the seats are available to try and keep the public notion of artificial demand out there. I get these calls from time-to-time.

5) The FO hasn't done a real good job of managing expectations on price increases for next season. Look, I realize that next year my tickets will go up, but many are looking at displacement plus doubling of the ticket prices just to get in the stadium (BTW, I called this a year ago). I don't think many are prepared for that.

6) Lastly, while I think the FO does a good job overall, I just don't fully trust that they aren't overpromising and will underdeliver in the new stadium. Maybe it's the missing plaque, missing "guaranteed" premium items, $20 brisket sandwiches, massive confusion on parking, etc. but I just have an odd notion that year 1 may not be as smooth as they are going to lead you to believe.

21. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    This is a given and is commonplace. Although i am not sure there is a concern. It is not like we have 22k season tickets - we have 6. If you want to wait, simply wait until the rest of the sections go on sale and make a call. Your not going to run out of seats during the season ticket purchase time.

Very fair concern, but for those that have "entertainment dollars" even the price we have seen is substantially lower than the other sports. Club seats at the Astros (which you cannot even give away) are roughly 4k a seat.

More on walk up tickets later.

Always bothered me - but welcome to modern sports.
    I wouldn't worry about that. Even in there most optimistic view, they don't plan to sell out the stadium with season ticket accounts. I think they are looking for a certain percentage above what they have now. They will get it even with higher prices.

You may prove right on this, but be fair; they have not announced any pricing. We have a few posters with early fliers on price, but the FO has not posted anything official. We will have to wait to see how they do the official roll-out.
    Anyone who thinks opening a new venue is going to be smooth the first few games . . . well . . . good luck with that. I have been through two "new stadiums" in my life and there is always mass confusion.

As for overall prices. I think people will be able to find tickets at their price range plus a moderate bump. Still affordable. You are right, they may have to move to do so. If the FO can sell high priced seats down the middle, more power to them. If they can't sell them, the price will drop or they forgo all revenue. Gotta love supply and demand. The people I think are in for the most shock will be walk up ticket sales. I do think (and it is good practice for them) the FO will want to incent more season tickets holders (read recurring revenue). To do so, those walk up tickets might be steep.

Lets relax until it is officially rolled out.

22. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My comments were more what I expect the FO to do to sell tickets upfront - there are always going to be tickets available. As I said in an earlier post, this is all going to be about choice for folks. It started with Canetti's lunch buddy CeltTexan calling us "cheese-dicks" for rationally looking at buying tickets rather than blindly bringing down the emergency money hidden in the mattress for club seats downtown.

Here's one thing I differ on - I think they will try to maintain pricing integrity as long as they can even if seats don't sell - maybe for two seasons. They'll let sections look empty if they have to, in part because they only get one shot at a new pricing scheme.

I disagree that they will have more season ticket holders in the new stadium for more than one season. Maybe not that long. At the expected price increases they will lose some of their base and I'm not sure there are that many replacement sales out there. If their idea to incent season ticket sales is to jack up walk-up prices, that's not quite the same thing as a discount.

I think I can sum up most of what will be the conversion challenge with this analogy: say you have a Toyota Camry now and it is fine and you go back to the dealership and want to buy another one. But the Toyota dealership says "oh, we don't sell those anymore, you'll have to buy the Lexus ES 350 or we can give you a Corolla for the same price that you paid for the Camry".

For those that go to the Dynamo games for the soccer and not the amenities, they are generally fine with things now and don't want the upgraded "experience". We've all grown accustomed to the poor restrooms at the stadium, the concessions that are served using a sundial as the estimated time to complete the transaction, and the various sharp metal hazards that sit below our butts.

I'd certainly pay something for the upgrade, just don't know if it will be what the FO wants for it.

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    OK. I was imprecise. The average sunset will be in the Lucky's corner. Tonight when we're about a week away from the Solstice the sun sat behind the "West" side of the stadium. It was, however, low enough in the sky that no one would have seen the sun doing down for a while. Most people on the "East" side's last view of it would be over the Lucky's corner.

25. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We need to have some kind of Druid/FreeMason deal so that when the sun sets during the solstice it enters the stadium and the beam of light shoots across to the other side revealing a previously unseen wall mural.

[​IMG]