Dynamo Stadium Episode I: A New Home

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really needed a new thread so here we go.

Like the last one, a few Q&As and some helpful stuff.

Q: Where will the stadium be located?

A: The stadium will be located on the east end of downtown, a few blocks from Minute Maid Park.

[​IMG]

Q: What is the deal with TSU football being allowed to play there??!!!! I DON'T WANT FOOTBALL LINES!!! WHY????????????????????

A: We invited TSU to grab the attention of some former, and quite powerful, alums. TSU is paying us up front to use the facility for 20 years. However, they are just renting the place. It is our stadium and we will have first rights to scheduling, along with getting money from concessions and what have you. Football lines will be a minimum (see Pizza Hut Park for example).

Q: What will the stadium look like?

A: Also known as: Where is my pr0n!?!?!

[​IMG]

Also try here and here.

Q: Who is paying for this stadium and how much is it going to cost?

A: The Houston Dynamo are footing the entire bill for the actual stadium. The city and county are each paying 10 million dollars for infrastructure around the area (improving streets, sewage and stuff like that) through a TIRZ and are donating the land. The total estimated cost is between 80 and 95 million dollars (including the 20 million from the county).

Q: If the Dynamo are paying for the stadium, then they will own it right?

A: No, the city of Houston will own the stadium. As far as I can tell this is so that the Dynamo do not have to pay property taxes on it. Thus, the Dynamo are building a stadium and essentially giving it to the City.

Q: When do they break ground? When will the stadium open?

A: Official groundbreaking was February 5. The bulldozers should arrive during the week of Feb 20-26

Q: Who is designing the stadium?

A: Populous has been selected to design the stadium. More Info: here

Q: Are there any pictures of the progress?

Official Houston Dynamo Webcam for a live picture. This thread also has constant photo's uploaded by the great Newtex.

There is also speculation about a promenade to the south of the stadium, but that is just speculation at the moment. However, there is strong talk of a $225 million hotel to the southwest of the stadium.

[​IMG]

Check here for more pics.

Also, the METRO LightRail will have a stop right at the entrance of the stadium, which will be connected to the current line and run to the Universities of Houston and TSU.

2. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you very very much.

WEBCAM:
    For those looking for the webcam, it is linked in post #1. The link may change from time to time, but when it does that first post will continuously be updated.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    As long as we are including talk about the area near the Stadium. Here is a pic and a link to a recent plan for the area to the south of the stadium. The proposed hotel would be to the left of the promenade. Ignore the picture of the stadium in this picture. It isn't going to look like that.

EaDo Promenade

[​IMG]

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Please don't use this as an opportunity to get going on the political argument again. This is some more information about the Metro Light Rail lines that may be running through the area. The federal funding for some parts of the light rail is in doubt but Metro says they will go ahead with the East End line using local funding and connect it to the Main Street line even if the other funding falls through.

Dynamo Stadium is the orange rectangle at the Bastrop Station. The Crawford Station is in front of Minute Maid Park, the baseball stadium. The line running from UH Downtown to Downtown TC in the picture is already running. It continues down to the Reliant Stadium area.

Full East End light rail map

[​IMG]

5. huesocolorado

huesocolorado Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repped you for starting the new thread. It was getting difficult to sort through political talk vs stadium news. Thanks!

6. msmsh

msmsh Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Thank you for starting this new thread, El Naranja.

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn fine job with this new thread.

8. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    awesome, I was getting a little tired of the politics.

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This is the Red Bull Arena season ticket prices. I wonder if our pricing structure will be similar?

10. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is be a little pissed if I was paying the same amount for an upper deck last row as someone in the lower deck first row. Seems strange there is not a price difference between levels.

11. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect the prices in NY would be significantly higher than here. I don't think our season ticket prices will go up that much, at least in the first year.

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Oh, I bet most seats go up 20%. Supporters seats might not go up that much (for season tickets) but Club seats will probably more than double since we will have a proper club (plus you get some access/dibs to all AEG events with club seats).

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that type of increase, or maybe a bit more for the non-club seats (30-35%) is likely. Remember, AEG developed quite a bit of Red Bull Arena.

The FO almost certainly has a revenue model built off of the current seat design layout.

On the club seats, there will actually be a club (not a tent) so increases there will be more, although $100 a game is pretty high for an MLS event.

14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    It may seem high, but most club seats come with extras beyond MLS such as first rights (or maybe even some seats) to all things held at the stadium in your same seats. Plus they include things such as parking and giveaways, etc etc. My guess is 1500 minimum.

As for the revenue model, I think that is what they are working on now. CC said in our focus group meetings they wanted to see seats right after the groundbreaking. Now that it is expected to be in the summer, I am betting they are working on pricing details which have become more complex. Just a guess.

15. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good to finally see some great, tangible updates!

16. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good thing about soccer being a niche sport in the US is that the nose bleed section of a 22,000 stadium is the mid level section of a 45,000 stadium and one of the best sections in a 100,000 stadium.

Some or many of the fans that buy the most expensive tickets at the Rob will have to downgrade because of the increase in ticket prices, we the semipoor fans will probably go to an equivalent section.

17. Clip

Clip Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Bayou City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks like it'll be nice, but why do they have Kiss on that stage...haha

Is that a for sure project, or just something that's been proposed?

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Just proposed at this point. Chris Canetti, Dynamo President, is on the board trying to make it happen.

19. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know CC was such a big KISS fan.

20. tigerheadsaints

Sep 1, 2010
    League City, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I don't know about anyone else, but if I don't see bulldozers, or shovels , or something by let's say Thursday, I'm gonna start freaking out.

21. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cup technology impresses me more than the machine.

24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    All about magnets!

25. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the mention of JAX setting record beer sales on a lowly attended season speaks for itself. Of course they'll probably just cut us off even sooner...20 minutes into the first half. Shooting their own selves in the foot.