News: Dynamo Stadium - City & County Approve Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by el nordissimo, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Stadium - Done Deal?

so kowtowing to these two ego maniacs actually helped us?? would hate to actually see how many more years it would have taken them to get this done if we didn't have tweetle dee and dum showing their immense appreciation for us including their beloved, and honorable school. maybe we should have said screw em to begin with. then we would have waited 4 years to get a deal done and it would've been on our terms. oh well, at least we are getting a stadium, right?

2. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As Mettalica woud say 7 - Sad But True. I don't think anyone would doubt that the Witch Garcia would go out of her way to cause grief for the Orange. I think of her when I get statements from the team that say Houston 1836 Inc. (or something like that.)

Once the Dynamo decided they needed the $35m public money to do this deal, they agreed to dance with the devil. Lee could still kill this deal by not bringing it to a vote, right?

3. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think that there was any ego massaging done at all.

It's my perception that this whole deal was put into slow motion by Bill White. For the longest time - the deal was between the Dynamo and the City of Houston with Bill White at the helm. The City even went so far as to purchase the property and dedicate $10 million in TIRZ funds.

Then suddenly, nearly 2 years ago White decides that the County need to be a part of this and throws it into the lap of Harris County Commissioners with a short, one page letter inviting them to join the TIRZ.

All of Whites public statements from then on where that it was up to the County and that he would do no more. He didn't even meet with the County to discuss it. I know this because I was one of those who spoke in favor of the stadium in front of City Council and Commissioners Court. Neither entity was speaking to each other.

With White out of the picture Annise Parker meets with El Franco Lee to hammer out an agreement acceptable to all, the Harris County Houston Sports Authority get involved and voila - we are really close to breaking ground on this sucker.

Nope - neither Sylvia Garcia nor El Franco Lee were to blame for the hold up - it was all on Bill White. Nothing has changed from 2 years ago other than someone who was willing to negotiate with the County getting elected as Mayor.

At least - that's how I see it

4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While understanding your frustration, lets look at your comments from a different, realistic, and objective perspective:

To paraphrase you: "Two politicians are stupid and awful because they didn't give me exactly what I wanted immediately upon my demanding it. I even came up with deal for their alma mater and they had the nerve to not hand over $10 million of public money under terms dictated to them. Damn them!"

To be clear -- the TSU deal is was never requested by Lee nor Garcia. AEG is building this stadium to add a whole new revenue stream to their Houston Dynamo business. The revenue stream of a venue operator. The same one that makes LAG and FCD profitable. TSU was always a prime client-candidate for that business. Locking that client in upfront is good business for AEG and it was done for them. That it might help Lee & Garcia support the deal was wishful speculation.

It would behoove us all to grow up and be adults and stop bashing people we want something from. Thinking we deserve, and everyone else should agree and give it to us on our terms is childish.

We are getting our Stadium. This deal is on a landing path to closure. Why not simply love that fact and be happy and appreciative?

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bingo. Hammer on nail.

6. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Given the path and potential roadblocks we should be happy to finally have what we have. Yes, it's been a painful path to get the stadium to this phase AND location but the pay-off will be great. I can't wait to get the formal seals/votes obtained from the City and County meetings.

7. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va

Any sense of how stadium design will compare with other MLS SSS's, with Crew Stadiumon one end of the continuum and RBA on the other? 80mil is less than most recent SSS costs, not to say that getting the stadium isn't still a great thing. And no disrespect to Columbus because they've got a good soccer venue.

I'm speculating that here in DC the owner may be contemplating paying for most or all of a stadium, which would likely mean a stadium more functional than luxurious. Not that I care - I prefer a seat with a back but beyond that the rest isn't that important. And if the alternative is losing our team, I'd take another Crew Stadium in a minute.

8. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With the way things have gone, I will be happy completly when I hear final approval. Though I have celebrated much, and spread the word to my immigrant friends, co-workers, and fellow futbol fans about the coming deal. I've thanked God and will do so again and again.

I feel for DCU fans right now and will pray for them. We should hang a banner for them at our home game pleading for the DC government to give them a stadium.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How valuable do you think those 5 home football dates TSU plays each year are? Seriously. You do realize they played this year at Delmar - and don't draw very well, except for the Prairie View game.

Let's run the quick math - $1.5M upfront for 5 dates a year for 30 years - or roughly $10,000 per game to rent the stadium out (present value is actually higher since the $1.5M comes up front). Take out the maintenance costs on the field and I wonder how much AEG will really clear from these events. Plus, TSU wanted their own locker rooms in the place. If they draw like crap, the parking & concessions revenue will be subpar. Even at $2.5M , its not the best deal in the history of venue management.

Does TSU even have that kind of money available to them? I believe their financial controls were deemed to be, ahem, lacking.

The economics of having TSU play there are marginal, AT BEST. Given you then have to schedule around them (wait until we get a playoff game pushed to Sunday night on a carved up field because TSU played in the rain the first weekend of November), you'd have say that political considerations played A LARGE PART of this deal.

10. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

maybe the calculation is you get the 1.5M up front and in doing so you help but the TCU football programme out of business? sort of like what every Timbers fan is secretly hoping will happen to the PSU football programme? if these schools decide to drop the programmes because they cannot afford them you get to have the stadium to yourselves (and in Portland's case you would then get a real grass pitch) but in the mean time they gain you some community and political support?

11. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I seem to recall anderson pointing out in a much earlier iteration of this thread that it did White's hopes for higher office (at that time, seemingly for the Senate, not for governor) no good, on balance, to be tied to a successful completion of a stadium deal. It was better to not have it on his record where a Republican opponent could hammer him for a "giveaway to sports owners."

Bob Allen on Ch. 13, of all people, reported a few wks ago when the movement on the deal began that a holdup had been personal emnity between White and EFL, he didn't say what the specifics of that emnity might have been.

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Valuable enough for the Dynamo to want it. Period.

The point is that it was the Dynamo's decision -- and never requested by the County.

From word go, before the TSU arrangement was announced, the Dynamo said their new stadium would host college and high school football.

13. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Has Westside ever posted anything positive anywhere on any thread? The TSU tie-in is partly a community relations thing.... a poor, urban, minority university that is often overlooked and forgotten now had a modern, nice, nearby facility that's more suited to it's size and needs. There is no problem with that. Their few home dates won't be destroying the field, and the dates, grass and those terrible football lines everyone is so paranoid about will be maintained by the Dynamo so they won't interfere with soccer. It's a win for TSU, for the city and for the team. Chill. Now find something else to complain about.

The Dynamo like to be community-centered. Their practice facility is in a part of town that needs soccer fields. They help out the YMCA and other community programs. They help build soccer fields in town and helped repair fields in Galveston destroyed by Ike. I'm proud of what my team does. I'm also happy they can help TSU. I don't think there was anything cynical in what they were trying to do.

14. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just because it was the Dynamo's decision and not requested (openly and directly anyway) by the county doesn't mean that it was strictly a business decision or some altruistic effort to "do the right thing" and not a political calculation. I obviously am not certain why TSU was involved but if I had to guess, I'd say it was more political calculation by the Dynamo then it was a financial decision or desire to help the community. And let me by clear, if it was indeed primarily a political calculation, there is nothing wrong with that in this case.

15. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well thanks for clarifying my own comments up for me, but no need to paraphrase. i labeled them as egomaniacs, and i think there is enough evidence to point to that. all the other "paraphrasing" you did are your own words, not mine. i think it's a bit naive to believe that the obstructionist twins had no sway or demands concerning tsu. i also disagree about it being a good business move. i haven't seen any evidence that adding tsu has helped. i don't see how omitting them would have made things worse.
    of course i could be wrong and i'm sure to get backlash from those that wish that i prostrate myself on the ground and just be happy that the bureaucracy has shown it's countinance upon me. i, like most of you, have both an emotional and financial investment (thousands of dollars for some of us) in this team/business and asking questions and critiquing is just the opposite of juvenile.

oh, and by the way, nanny nanny boo boo

16. kingtim

kingtim New Member

Mar 24, 2010
  17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

You thought Houston didn't care about soccer? And this changed your mind?

Very strange.

18. Danamo

Danamo Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ARGH!...

"The Houston City Council has delayed a vote on an Interlocal Agreement that would build a new stadium for the Houston Dynamo.

Council members say there are too many unanswered questions; want reassurances of city's role in stadium."

via KHOU's @AlexSanz

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

As people have said, expect bumps in the road.

20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can give them my assurances.

21. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not worried about this at all. Nothing ever gets by city council without getting tagged. Good news is, they can only tag it for seven days, so it'll be considered next week.

Importantly, this shouldn't delay the Harris County Commissioners' vote on April 13.

22. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston

fyp.:d

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Les called up Jarvis Johnson and had him tag it to send a message.

No big deal, but don't rule out Les pulling some legal shenanigans out of a hat on this.

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Here is the Chron take on the delay:

http://blogs.chron.com/houstonpolitics/2010/03/dynamo_deal_tabled.html

25. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Based on the last part of the article, and general, I feel good about the process.
    Leslie can piss off.