News: Dynamo Stadium - City & County Approve Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by el nordissimo, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Dynamo Stadium - Done Deal?

^^ That's just the temporary name, you bet they'll be looking for a corporate name.... OR maybe S Garcia-EF Lee Park!? :D

2. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As long as this thing gets done with no BS from the city or county and I'll sleep better at night. I've had my run at a troll on the chron today I might go back and have a poke at more later.

3. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My vote is for the Houston-Harris County Football Grounds

Or "The Railyard"

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

What a great day!

No way this plan comes out with dates for the votes if they don't have the votes lined up.

This is going to happen!!!!!

5. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

PHP has high school football games from time to time. Have you ever seen football lines there? Exactly. Because when you are the primary tenant, you decide when the games are played to fit your schedule and you can actually pay the money to remove them (unlike UH who doesn't care). Don't worry.

Sounds like it's essentially a done deal. As has been said before, this thing doesn't go to vote unless everyone involved already knows it's going to pass. Unless something comes up in the next few weeks (knock on wood), I think this will be finalized by mid-April (knock on wood again...and again...and again).

6. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Hmm..

Maybe I'll unpack my bags and not move to Costa Rica after all !!:p

7. DYNAMO_WARRIOR

Oct 31, 2006
    HOUSTON
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought you were moving to South Africa for this summer...

It's pretty much a Done Deal!!! Can't wait to get this under construction:)

8. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I enjoy the haterade being drunk with these articles. Where were these people when Reliant, MMP, and Toyota Center were built for 10x the price?

9. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They were around then too, but they probably didn't have computers, the internet wasn't so big back then. But there was a lot of hate towards those stadiums too. Just not so much racial stuff, probably.

I really want to get to a point where we can see the detailed plans, get a real sense of what the thing is going to look like, where I'll be sitting with all my 204 friends. Where I'll be buying my nachos and going to the bathroom. Where the scoreboard will be and what the outside will look like.

10. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!! Interesting :D

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was so happy for Red Bull Arena to finally open and know how it feels to have to see a game in a place you can't really call your own.

Congrats guys. Great for you and great for the league.

12. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

******** yes.

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wonderful news eh? This is a great milestone. As we have maintained all along -- we never wanted Dynamo Park on the County agenda. That is like scheduling closing on your house before you have an agreement with the other side. We wanted this deal struck. Now we go to the agendas. Now we get the deal closed.

Having said that -- you guys don't have a cow when there is a delay, or it gets pulled down for a week or two or three, or even if all of a sudden the votes are not there. Those things can happen. It will work out.

Dynamo Park is going to happen. But big deals often bump around into things on the way to closing. Could happen here as well. The city and county are two very very big animals mating on this thing. It can be awkward.

Again ... great news ... but know that big deals often have some unexpected twists as they close. No biggie -- just let the process work.

14. BennyScrap

BennyScrap Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HOORAY! I'm so excited for this being agreed upon by the county, city, and Dynamo FO/AEG. This has been years in the making and just ensures that I will be able to see the Dynamo around Houston for a long time to come. I just wish that the ignorant hillbillies would actually read and try to understand how great this deal is for the city/county. AEG/Dynamo FO don't even get to hold the rights to the stadium they built, though. Don't understand what that's all about. Can someone fill me in? Is this good or bad for the FO/AEG?

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

If the y don't own it they don't have to pay taxes on it.

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Joe Biden just told me this is a ****ing big deal.

17. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to anderson again." :confused:

oh, kiss my ass, BigSoccer!! :D Thank God I wasn't drinking any Diet Coke when I saw that, or I'd have one ruined keyboard...

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

AEG/Dynamo will have the rights to control events in the stadium even though they won't own it. Astros and Rockets have the same deal. They don't "own" their stadiums but they control what goes on in them and get the money from other events.

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

That's banner material, right there!

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Smooth Sailing from here on sports fans!

Like I reported last week, the final hurdle with our local government agencies was taken in stride and today's news just confirms it all.

As I have it reported to me today, shovels will indeed hit the ground in the Fall of this year. Considering the dates supplied, and considering our Gulf Coast weather, the construction timeline will indeed allow for a March/April grand opening of Dynamo Park for the 2012 MLS season.

When we started back in Jan. this grass roots DSA effort to back Oliver's stadium obra de amor I had prayed for the best and expected the least outcome, needless to say as we close out March with a new CBA, a new MLS season in a new decade, another Mundial this Summer and today's good news...life has gone from a stormy Winter of doubt and negative vibes to one of a Spring with a new season for cheer and a permanent SSS home for another MLS club. Much thanks to all who came out to the rallies and specifically Eric, Javila, Blu and the rest who helped make this bad boy come to bloom. Well done folks!

21. BennyScrap

BennyScrap Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As someone who never was able to make it to any rallies or things of that nature, I seriously appreciate everyone who was able to go and have their voices heard. I'm going to be one of the fortunate that gets to share a great new stadium with you guys/girls. DALE DYNAMO!

22. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The report on 11 had Vicente Arenas on the site, with MMP over his shoulder. It looked good. There were ariel views of the site showing it's location by downtown, and Newtex's house.

They showed the bar-b-que place over there and talked to the owner, who was excited and was talking about expanding and adding employees.

Oliver Luck said it was like running a 400M hurdle race, we're over the hurdles but not to the finish line.

They showed some of the things agreed to, the TSU tie-in, the family affordable seating and the ....help to the homeless? How much is Reliant Stadium helping the homeless?

Vicente said he has heard questions about if the county was going to agree to buy the part of the land they were supposed to buy. He said we wouldn't know until the vote, and that there are lots of things to see play out still.

Two years. I can't wait, but it doesn't seem like too long of a wait...

Channel 2 will have a report at 6.

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Ch. 39 has a report on right now.

Channels 2 and 13 have remote trucks on the site. Expect live reports during the 6 pm news.

24. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Agreed with what you said but the bold part is funny!

25. jamus4545

jamus4545 Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Lets name the new stadium 60-90 days! I can't wait untill opening day 2012!