Dynamo Ownership on the Horizon?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by tex0313, Sep 28, 2007.

1. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://www.mlsunderground.blogspot.com/

I tried to find a relevant thread about potential dynamo ownership but didnt seem to find one even though I know one is out there.

On MLS Underground this morning they are reporting the Dynamo may be sold in the near future. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

2. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How credible is this source?

It sounds like it could happen. But until I read or hear about it from someone like Fallas, I won't take it too seriouxly.

3. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The week of MLS Cup? That's not that far off. This is interesting... I'd love to hear Ives Galarcep's take on this.

I know we've been down the "who would be the best owner" road before, which is what this could end up turning into, but I have to wonder what would happen to any stadium talks currently in progress. I new owner may have a totally different view on what's acceptable.

Traceback address is here, for when it falls off the front page on MLS Underground.

4. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    ives would know

5. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if they ran into so much trouble getting the stadium deal done that they've decided to sell the team to the partnership of Les Alexander and Drayton McLane who have been rumored to be secretly buying up all the real estate around their east-side digs so they can build a sports mecca paradise. :)

6. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Somewhat credible. This guy (usually) doesn't pull stuff out of his ass, but it's far from what I would call reliable. He's probably heard a rumor that a group is interested in the Dynamo, and then he's speculating with the rest.

As far as asking Ives as one person suggested, I've got news for you: Ives doesn't know much about anything outside the state of New Jersey. Your local Chron guy, or Steve Goff, or Jack Bell, would be the one to ask.

7. Cmack

Cmack Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Pearland
    That could be cool. Both those owners want to win badly and the Dynamo win. Might work out well. They defiantly have the money and could also bring in a high priced DP if we ever need one.

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    couldn't agreed more, Ives doesn't know jack until it hit the prints.

his report on the Seattle to MLS rumor has been called out as "premature"
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soccer/2003909155_mls28.html

9. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard for me to see a new ownership for Dynamo before any new stadium deal.

10. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to agree here.

AEG is trying to max out the value of the clubs before they sell them.

If MLS announces a sale at MLS Cup, it will be in conjunction with the announcement of Dynamo Park.

Otherwise that's a lot of money left on the the table for AEG, because the new owner would have to get a stadium pushed through the city. Of course a local owner may find it easier to do so than an outsider like AEG, but we'll see.

11. JJxvi

JJxvi Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Then it might be any time now.

12. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this guy knows so little, then why even dignify it with a response?

I bet he hit the nail on the head, and it was way before MLS was ready to make an official announcement, so he caught them with their pants down.

I'd bet, they wanted to make all the details known at MLS Cup to have more attention drawn to it, since their will be no Beckham & most likely no Blanco in DC. But now this guy has stolen all their steam.

I guess I'm just surprised that with the StL stadium being approved, that there hasn't been a "StL will play in 2009" announcement.

13. t_attakz

t_attakz Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope its true, but without the Drayton McLane part.

14. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather have an owner that understands soccer and its traditions. I have no suggestions, unfortunately.

IMHO, Drayton is a cheapskate and is only interested in filling the seats and not putting a good, contending team on the field.

15. webfoot

webfoot Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Corpse in Houston, spirit in Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The new ownership announcement should come within the the next 60-90 days...

16. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    And how do you know this?

17. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the rumor were true that Dynamo might get sold soon to McLane or Alexander knowing Oliver Luck is the manager and the City's already into a new stadium, the action of no new news since August would make perfect sense actually. They both were considered the single biggest question-marks as to if they'd let a soccer stadium become their neighbor.

If it's someone other than those two that were pursuing Dynamo and a stadium deal of their own, there's no telling where things would stand stadium-wise.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm relatively new to Houston but I don't get the Drayton is cheap complaints.

This year the Astros have the 14th highest payroll. Pretty average.

In 2006, the Astros had the 8th highest.

In 2005, 12th highest.

Furthermore,

From 1993 to 2006 (the time that McLane has owned them) the Astros had the 2nd best winning percentage in the National League. This year won't hurt that much.

The Astros made the playoffs in:
    1997 - won Central
    1998 - won Central
    1999 - won Central
    2001 - won Central
    2004 - Wild Card
    2005 - Wild Card - went to World Series
    2006 - eliminated on the last day of the season

I just don't get all the complaining.

19. NDS10

NDS10 Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Well I would think that's the key. My guess is they announce the stadium deal in conjunction with sale, if this is true.

20. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh come on, Figo, I can't believe you didn't get this joke - "60 to 90 days" is the AEG national anthem...

21. alessiob

alessiob New Member

Nov 9, 2006
    h-town
    I heard Drayton and Alexander were going 50/50 on buying the Dynamo.

Not really though.

22. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Ever since MMP opened, I believe they were in the top 8 of revenue all that same time, if not higher.

The fans think Drayton is cheap because we never really signed a free agent of note until Pettite and Clemens came in....Everything they have done has been built up through their system. Unless you consider Jeff Kent a marquee free agent but even then they didn't resign him. Everyone else that was decent they brought through their system or traded to get. ON top of that, they lost a lot of players thought to be good for salary reasons: Wagner, Hampton, Kile, Beltran (though not entirely Drayton's fault), etc.

23. Cmack

Cmack Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Pearland
    We signed Carlos Lee for over 100 million dollars. Drayton would spend the money if it helps the club and put butts in the seats. If he owned the Dynamo, he would do the exact same thing. As long as he had people working with him who knew the game of soccer and players, i think it would work out.

24. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Uhm. I'm still trying to get over Mourinho leaving. Or something. :D

25. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    i just want (insert random owner here) to keep Mr. Luck. we'll be fine then.