Dynamo/MLS on TV... $$$$

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by brahmafutbol, Feb 5, 2014.

1. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, guys, I am looking for some feedback here, but not sure exactly what I'm looking for. My problem is I'm now paying a bit over $100/month for Dish America's Top 250 (plus a few other little added packages). In addition, I pay $53 for MLS Live but no Direct Kick. I'm also paying $70/month for some pretty slow country-style wireless internet, $90 to Sprint for my iPhone and $30 for unlimitted ATT service on my ipad.

That seems like a lot of money to be spending to stay connected. I seriously don't see how I can do without my iPhone and ipad, I use both all the time, usually with cellular. Unfortunately, my house doesn't have very good service with either ATT or Sprint, so I need the wireless ISP at the house.

The only place I can see saving money is on my Dish bill. Before MLS went to NBCSC I had DishLatino, which had lots of good soccer channels in both English and Spanish, plus every channel I ever watch EXCEPT for NBCSC. I am tempted to go back to DishLatino. It costs $15/month less. But here's the main question....can I live without the MLS games on NBCSC? Is it worth $15/month? In the first half of the season I wouldn't miss any Dynamo games. Later in the season I would miss a couple of home games, then several away ones. Are those games carried delayed on MLSLive? What about DirectKick? I think its cost would eat up most of my savings, but if I wait till the second half, don't they drop the price by half? Or are there any other suggestions? I think if you call Dish, they often lower your bill by $20 or so. I might try that, but I would really like to have a back up plan, or better, a secondary plan to save more. Paying over $350/month just for TV, Internet and phone just seems crazy to me. I know some people pay a lot more, but I live by myself and don't share usage or costs with anyone. Plus my internet service is not the blazing fast service city people pay big bucks for.

I really am not sure what to do. I have enjoyed watching soccer just about whenever I want. But I would really like to save money. Truth is, soccer is costing me a fortune, both live and on TV...

2. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Been there! only solution I came up with is temporary. Switch to DirectTV and take advantage of new customer prices for a while. Costs ultimately go back up. But you save a lot and keep the same access to channels.

3. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is that Direct Kick is one of the best values for the money in sports packages. Can watch every MLS match.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there some sort of ObamaVision service or voucher you can get?

5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, nobody cares about the problems we middle class white guys have to suffer every day. If only Congress would take up our cause and quit worrying about those minorities, poor people and all those fools that can't afford their insurance. Why can't they take care of my cable bill??? When will my suffering end? Maybe I should organize a march!

*rey* repped this.
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that most Democrats will get more votes from free cell phones and free cable TV than actually solving real problems. Not that they have any real solutions, other than bankrupting the country and driving jobs out.

TX Bill repped this.
  7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #7 Heft, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Old white people want cell phones, and free cable TV?

That's who votes the most right?:p

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Yes, they are usually available the next day. I cancelled my satellite last year and just have MLSLive. Going out to a sports bar for the few away games that are blacked out live is still cheaper than the monthly satellite bill.

Heft and brahmafutbol repped this.
  9. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    OK I see two areas for improvement:

1) Cut down on the satellite bill. We went to one single TV with DirecTV, the smallest package with the Sports Pack and are at about $55 a month. (each TV adds anywhere from 8-20 bucks depending on type of service and box). We went to antenna for the other TVs so we get stunning HD of all the major networks for free Over The Air (OTA).
    2) I am not an apple guy, but can't you tether the iPad to your phone instead of paying $30 a month? They would use the same phone/internet connection. For example, I share my phones internet via bluetooth with my tablet.

If those are possible you should save about $50 a month or so.

** Also, DirecTV will bundle TV and cell phone so you may get an additional discount.

brahmafutbol and Heft repped this.
  10. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your help people. One question, I think I know the answer, but just to clarify, DK blacks out games that are on NBCSC, right?

11. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    ok-so If I get DK, I should be able to watch all Dynamo (non National TV) matches correct, even through the away team feed (I assumed if I reading this correctly the CSN feed would be blacked out here in town).

So I could watch every Dynamo match if I got DK correct?

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Yes, assuming they don't enforce the local blackouts. Last year they didn't because of the CSN situation so I'm guessing they'll do the same this year.

And you may get the local feed. It's just a matter of which one they choose to broadcast.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KPRC 2 games are the only ones that MLS listed as blackout games for MLS Live as of December so those could be blacked out on DK as well.

14. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

I don't think any of my Dynamo matches on DK were blacked out. In fact, that was the first place I'd look for a Dynamo match because frankly, it was the easiest place to find it. You just have to put up with the "away" announcers most of the time.

15. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FREE MLS live to all season ticket holders thanks to the FO!

Go us!

16. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    they gave me that as a reason to GET season tickets and politely told the guy that MLSlive is the main reason I can't bring myself to get season tickets. :devilish:

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I renewed MLS Live only to have the FO offer it up for free. Could have saved me $52 but I bet they couldn't announce it as a benefit until after the auto-renewal date. Thanks for nothing.

Gonna speculate here that the Dynamo figure about zero chance of CSN getting picked up by anyone other than Comcast this season.

18. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    they gave me the "free MLS live w/ season tickets" line on January 16th FYI.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh. It was news to me today. Apparently they didn't want to tell existing STHs the plan

20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They told me a few days ago. Fortunately I had changed credit cards because of the Target thing so my automatic renewal never went through.

21. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Why don't people contact FO for a refund before we complain about getting something for free?

*rey* repped this.
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the FO going to give us a $52 refund on something we didn't pay to them? Just would have been nice to know it was an included benefit.

23. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    No but MLS might. I know it goes against your nature to ask before complaining but someone should try it first.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canetti sort of answered that question in a tweet earlier:
    I suppose MLS could allow us to cancel it and try to get a refund.

25. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When i heard about it the other day i knew there were going to be complaints. I get why people would complain but its still cool. The timing was a little off, though.