Dynamo Kiev v Arsenal [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Oct 21, 2003.

1. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore

I guess.....thanks?

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL

alrighty, i agree with the England thing, but lets agree on one more thing, you hate Arsenal and think they suck and i hate Man U and think they suck.

3. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Lokomotiv defeat Inter--At the San Siro?! Inter fans would be out for blood...

But it really doesn't matter who wins the other games. If Arsenal win out, they advance. That is to say, if Arsenal do not want to pin their CL future on the outcome of other games, they cannot so much as draw any of their three remaining matches without depending on results of other contests falling in their favor. There currently exists no scenario whereby Arsenal go through automatically on 8 points independent of other results.

4. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    We should just give up on the Champion's League and focus on winning the Premiership & FA Cup. *#*#*#*# the UEFA Cup, too.

5. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Can't give up on the CL it's worth too much moolar!

At this point, no one in the group is safe. That means no one can afford to play for a draw and, on balance, that helps us!

If we win all 3 matches, and keep a clean sheet against Kiev, ... we're in!!!

... I think???

Come on you Gunners!!!

6. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    I think Lokomotiv (who the hell would have predicted that one?) will go through ... Inter will struggle when they have to go to Kyiv, and we can't even damn well win!

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. The CL is worth way too much money to give up right now, especially if we're to harbor any hopes of making any January purchases.

8. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be that as it may, I still think that the CL should come secondary to the League and the FA Cup. Call me old-fashioned...
    Correction. Call us old-fashioned. Or call us frustrated. If we lose in the CL, but we take the Double, I'll be delirious.

9. Scouse

Scouse New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Manchester
    if you lot win 3 outta 3, you'll have 10 points and almost certainly qualify. having said that you've still got to go over to the San Siro and get a result...not easy

i wish arsenal the best of luck......in europe

10. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    add me to the list of old-fashioned. the double would be fantastic

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be delirious if we won the Double but I'd at least like to get past the first round in the CL, if for no other reason than the revenue.

12. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    Tough luck lads..... I read that Kiev was on the back paddle for most part of the match.

The best part for us Chelskov fans is the fact that Lehmann screwed up big time for you lads. Poetic justice?????

At least it's all square now isn't it.

One point ain't that bad, take heart that the next few matches will be much easier when it'll be played at Highbury (except for Inter).

Best of luck.

13. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    YOU' RE OLD FASHIONED!!!

DB10 is probably the only one of our overseas players who'd even heard of the FA Cup? If we want to continue being successful and attracting and (more importantly) holding on to the best players, we need to start coming up with the goods in Europe and soon. We need the prestiege and we need the cash - simple as that!

This may all be media driven, but the media are pushing for what they know people will buy. Supporters want to see the top teams in Europe going head to head and before not be too long that might well be week in and week out? Would you really want to see AFC sidelined to playing the Scum, Bolton and Charlton every Saturday, while Liverpool, ManUre and Chelski were playing Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Juventus and the rest?

This year more than ever, with our squad depleted and funds too tight to mention, we need use both the FA cup and Carling/worhtless/whastever it's called Cup to give experience to the next wave of gooners. The FA Cup was magic and it's still worth winning, but to put it ahead of the CL...? For a team like Arsenal, that's just not realistic!

Come on you Gunners!!!

14. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Wrong, the FA Cup Final is televised all over the world. It's the only domestic cup competition that anyone takes seriously across Europe. Everyone watches it. Trust me. I was over in Spain a couple of years ago when Newcastle were playing Man U and there was massive interest about the match.

Henry stated recently how he used to watch in anticipation everytime the FA Cup Final was being played.

15. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Sorry, but that doesn't change the fact that the FA Cup is # 3 in significance behind the EPL and CL or #5, below the World Cup, European Championship, CL and Premiership in the list of medals that players most want in their display cabinets!

Every one loves things to be wrapped up with a winner takes all event. I'm no different. I have a mental library full of the highs and lows of Wembley Stadium in the sunshine. Sports leagues in the US are engineered to create just such a showpiece finale. Perhaps this will keep the CL as a knock out comp? Whatever, the FAC is still waning in importance!

That's why we should use it to blood young players. We've been in 4 of the last 6 finals and won it 3 times. Nearly every senior player has a winners medal! After all that, how excited do you think the boys will get about playing Farnborough in the 4th round? Leave it to the fringe players, who will still be eager to get a result, while the rest of squad figure out how not to implode in Europe?

Perhaps there are a few prickly memories of us gifting the treble to Manure in 99? Perhaps some of us won't let the FA cup go till we've set the record straight and equalled the old enemy? Let it go lads. Haisselbaink scored and Dennis missed the penalty. Sh1t happens! Don't let the FA Cup become a great big white whale; it'll get beached in Cardiff docks(LOL).

Come on you Gunners!!!

16. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    He's a nice bloke, what else is he going to say? ..." Eh the FA CUP! Phhhhh what a waste of a good shag on a Friday night!"

Come on you Gunners!!!