Dynamo Kiev v Arsenal [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Well, my day's officially ruined. Why the hell is it that we can walk into any ground in England and shred opponents, even on the days when we're not playing our best, but we go play one of these teams in Eastern Europe that doesn't have one player any of us can name and we totally collapse? I realize that this has been discussed time and again, but that's because it keeps happening time and again! We don't even have a bloody goal in CL this season!

OK, rant's over. Time to agonize over the last 20 minutes.

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    has anyone else had enough of our boy sylvain??? its obvious he doesnt fit in to our team (IMO) and should be dropped.. whenever a team concentates on TITI, the partner forward just has to deliver.. wiltord hasnt since august... ive seen enough..
    this is frustrating stuff... all that CL money would of been nice as well.. ugh....
    hello charlton....

3. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Theoretically, yes, if either Kiev or Inter draw their other two matches. That would give us 10 to their 8. Lokomotiv could also win once and draw once and we'd still come out on top. That's a big "if", though, since that trip to Milan is still looming.

Also keep in mind that, if there is a tie at the top and it comes down to goal differential, we're currently -5, while I believe everyone else is in the black. We're in a deep hole, folks. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it would take a miracle to make it to the knockout stages.

4. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    I simply do not understand how you can hold Man United to a scoreless draw, at Old Trafford, go and win away to Liverpool, beat Chelsea, and end up nil-nil in Moscow and lose against Kiev.

5. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    Henry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Goal Henry
    2-1
    C'mon, guys!

7. MNGooner

MNGooner New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Minnesota
    Kanu laid on for it!!!!!!

8. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    at least we have a CL goal now

9. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    off the crossbar again...so close yet no goal

Final 2-1

10. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Utterly rediculous

11. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    FT

2 / 1 to Kiev

The Capital Gold crew are really good with the game call

result sucks though

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too little, too late.

Pretty pathetic.

13. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A horrible, horrible balls-up from Lehmann loses us a point. Nice control and finish from Henry for his goal. How Toure missed from inside the six-yard box is beyond me although it did come at him pretty quickly.

It'll have to be three wins out of three to stand any chance now.

14. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

Re: FT

I'm just baffled by our team . . . what is it with the Continent?

Question: Last year, the third place team got into the UEFA Cup (I think it was the First Group stage) - is it there this year?

It's not over but it'll be a miracle for Arsenal to progress. Concentrate on another double this year?

15. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    19 attempts on target... 1 goal by TH14~
    Just not european quality by the strikeforce.. whats that 1 GOAL IN CL PLAY?? anemic for the firepower we have.... lets move on to domestic play i guess.... so dissappointing!!!!!!!!

16. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Here's hoping that the boys can turn things around and make the match against Moscow in December that several of us will be at incredibly meaningful!

17. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Re: Re: FT

I don't think they do this anymore do they?

18. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Eight groups, top two advance.

19. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    And the 3. goes in the UEFA cup.

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: FT

Third place teams still go to the UEFA cup.

21. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    I'd rather finish in the top 2 though. Hell at this point we better get off the bottom.

22. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    This is becoming trite, but "what needs to happen" next matchday is that Moscow beat Inter and of course we get three points at home vs Kiev. That'll put us at 4, Milan and Kiev at 6, and Moscow leading the group at 7. It's wishful thinking, but we'll have a chance if that happens.

23. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Actually, the CL placing is decided by clubs Head-to-Head record.

Goal difference is used as one of the tie-breakers after clubs respective head-to-head records have been taken into account. Also, if there are more than two teams on the same number of points then a Head-to-head "mini-league" is formed, where the result against the team not involved in the "mini-league" is subtracted from the points total (to see how well the teams left have done against eachother). If teams have similar head-to-head records (i.e. Team A wins one game at home 2-1 and then Team B wins the rematch 1-0) then away goals is taken into account (so if Arsenal were to win 1-0 against Kiev and then finish on the same points as them at the end of First Round, Arsenal would go through, even though the aggregate score for both matches would be 2-2, Arsenal would be ahead as they scored an away goal.) I think if all this is still level then Goal difference is then taken into account.

24. GJ40

GJ40 Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Apex
    My day sucked. I drove an hour to get to a pub to see the match and found out that it wasn't being televised. I called the pub yesterday and they said it was going to be shown. I even called again this morning to confirm. Maybe it saved me the aggravation.

I'm not giving up hope yet. Come on you Gunners!

GJ40

25. thasquad33

thasquad33 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    boulder
    rarely do i like to see the gooners win, but today was one of those days. i cant stand arsenal...not a single skin cell on my body likes arsene goon and his band of gooners. i do, however, want to see england have a strong show in europe. spain may possess the best club ball, but to say italy is better than england hurts. besides juventus and ac, italy are some pattycakes. in closing, i will wish you luck in europe, not premiership, and go DEVILS! tha cmac