Dynamo Downtown Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's worth noting, in addition to the original plans for the groundbreaking, there will be a Budweiser sponsored tent for 2011 season ticket holders that will have free catered food and free beer while supplies last. Thank you FO!

*received info from the latest email.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm no computer expert but this link to the webcam seems to be working:

http://dynamo2012.myipcamera.com/img/main.cgi?next_file=main.htm

The other links I've been using are not. Not sure why.

You can't tell in the dark but they put up plastic orange fencing around several, but not all, of the lots. We'll see if the streets get blocked before Saturday. The city has signs up saying that Capitol and Rusk will be closed starting Jan. 28 but that hasn't actually happened yet.

3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations Dynamo fans.

4. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like this map. For one thing it clearly shows the blocks the stadium will take up, for another it puts it in clear context with Minute Maid, GRB and Discovery Green....

[​IMG]

5. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a larger version of that with Toyota included which is really cool.

I love that this deal is done. It's almost as much of a relief as confirmation of rumors that the team was moving here in the first place. But that was days versus months for this.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What time did it say they would be setting the engraved season ticket holder bricks that were promised after year one? :rolleyes:

It's funny, the weather and blackouts dominated the news so much today that this thing slid completely under the radar for most.

Hopefully well see renderings and maybe a model that's a bit better than what folks have already pulled off the website.

7. ORANGER!!

ORANGER!! Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Sicilia

Sicilia Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Club:
    Calcio Catania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to all the Dynamo organization and the fans.

I look forward to seeing the progress thru the webcam.

It should also put Houston in a great position to host the MLS Cup.

9. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sitting here looking at the picture of the stadium on this page http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/dynamo-get-green-light-build-stadium and I was wondering a couple of things...

The area below the scoreboard looks like it has no seats... also no fans there. Is that the stage area? Is it a standing room, supporters terrace type space? Did the artist just get lazy there?

Also if you notice, the touch line is a really long way from that area. Is that necessarily correct, or just an artist's free license?

In the far corner, there is a white area with no seats. I'm guessing that's a players' entrance and not, say, planting boxes for the palm trees.

I love it.

I'm sure by Saturday those and many other questions will be answered.

10. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, but hopefully we will be in a great position to host the MLS Cup because the league will award the game to the team in the finals with the most points... :D

11. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the stage area will be the far end. Hence the little roof overhang. Plus that's the side with offices and dressing rooms. The place in the corner you speak of will probably be used as the player entrance. It's actually kind of a road from grade to the field so that ambulances, equipment, and such can get down. As for the near touch line, I think the artist just wanted to show a full pitch.

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the concerns many of us have had has been the size of the playing field:

- the information provided says "c 90,000 ft2"

- My spreedsheet, if not suffering from user error, says that could mean a field of 125x80 yards

- assuming 2.5 yards around the outside, then the playing field could be 120x75, which IIRC is the minimum for FIFA. It is also the same as the current spacious Home Depot Center

- HOWEVER, I understand the Dynamo have decided not to place the teams into the first few rows of the grandstand. That means they will need bench room on one side

- SO, we might be looking at something more like 115 x 70 which is the current size of Robertson stadium's pitch

If we wind up with 120 x 75 I'll be pretty damn excited; but

If we wind up with the same size pitch as at Robertson I will be pretty damn disappointed.

13. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concerning the bench, when I looked at the blueprints, there was a cutout in the center if the sideline seats. For an example, the center section would be 9 rows and the adjacent sections would be 11 rows with the first 2 incomplete. So if you can mentally picture, a 2 row inset.

14. thetexmancommeth

thetexmancommeth New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    According to the drawings the pitch is ~74x114. IIRC this is the FIFA recommended dimensions for international matches, and is also the same dimensions most of the big European clubs use.

15. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to the Dynamo fans on a great looking project, in a great location.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    If the field gets bigger will Dom still be able to play his English League longball style game? It's more suited to a tight field like SJSU or UH than a bigger pitch, which would seem to reward a more continental, passing style.

I'd think a Dynamo team on a Galaxy-type pitch would be better off drafting mobile Sarkodies now. I say that in part because we've stockpiled a lot of target forwards who may be less useful when we move. Can you imagine what Landin would have been like on an even bigger field? We'd have been duty bound to petition for the repeal of the offsides rule or he'd never make it back.

Just a thought.....we should be pondering the personnel in light of our expected pitch size so that if we have scads of space our pickups are prepared to exploit it.

17. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    A. The stage is on the south side and will be covered with retractable seating during games. There is seating in all directions, it just looks that way due to the direction and depth perception of the rendering.

[​IMG]

B. Per the the floorplan below, that is the players entrance tunnel.

[​IMG]

18. ORANGER!!

ORANGER!! Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to HoustonDynamo.com at 1 p.m. CT to see a press conference with Populous architect and new stadium renderings!

19. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it live streaming or will it be posted, Minh? We are the one school in Texas not getting out early today.... :mad:

20. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Thanks for the heads up, burtha!

Real question here is ....will HD.com's stream ACTUALLY work this time or will it crap out like always?!?

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Newtex adjusted his webcam, and I think I see orange construction 'fencing' up. And pretty sure I saw someone walking around the intersection a few minutes ago.

I'm really excited for you guys.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, I had to fix it and it wound up pointing in a slightly different direction but I couldn't tell in the dark last night. I'll have to re-aim it on Saturday to catch the groundbreaking. That's supposed to be a little south of where the camera is aimed at the moment.

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  24. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Updated renderings? I'd like to see the one of the view from inside up close. I was hoping for a full scale model, but I'm sure that will come eventually.

25. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow what a boring and uneventful press conference. We could tell it had an international feel to it from the drawings. The architect said it had a European feel to it! Awesome!

Canetti said it was more like Red Bull Arena and not like othe MLS stadiums that weren't as good (only 3/4 enclosed).