Dynamo Downtown Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note: The last Q/A has a link to the webcam. Nobody seems to read this page so I am adding this disclaimer.

Lets answer a few questions first:

Q: Where will the stadium be located?

A: The stadium will be located on the east end of downtown, a few blocks from Minute Maid Park.

[​IMG]

Q: What is the deal with TSU football being allowed to play there??!!!! I DON'T WANT FOOTBALL LINES!!! WHY????????????????????

A: TSU was invited as a means of getting some TSU alums in power attention. It was voluntarily done by the Dynamo and as far as we know, this was never a stipulation. There may be some faint football lines on the field, but this is also the case at Pizza Hut Park (to name 1 Soccer Stadium) and the times this happens are few and far between. When it is done, it does not look anywhere close to what we have now at Robertson. In the end, this is a stadium controlled by the Dynamo and TSU is a tenant.

(As a side note, anybody complaining about football lines is really missing the big picture).

Q: What will the stadium look like?

A: Nobody knows for sure, but here is an early rendering. Nobody is sure of how accurate it is:

[​IMG]

Q: Who is paying for this stadium and how much is it going to cost?

A: The Houston Dynamo are footing the entire bill for the actual stadium. The city and county are each paying 10 million dollars for infrastructure around the area (improving streets, sewage and stuff like that) through a TIRZ and are donating the land. The total estimated cost is between 80 and 95 million dollars (including the 20 million from the county).

Q: That does not seem like a lot of money, will the stadium suck?

A: We hope not! Building costs have come down quite a bit, and the cost of labor in Texas is quite a bit cheaper than say New York, so we will all just have to wait and see.

Q: If the Dynamo are paying for the stadium, then they will own it right?

A: No, the city of Houston will own the stadium. As far as I can tell this is so that the Dynamo do not have to pay property taxes on it. Thus, the Dynamo are building a stadium and essentially giving it to the City.

Q: When do they break ground? When will the stadium open?

A: January 29th 2011 is ground breaking and there is an April 2012 target date to open.

Q: Who is designing the stadium?

A: Populous has been selected to design the stadium. More Info: here

Q: Are there any pictures of the progress?

A: Throughout this thread there will be photos, but at all times you can access this live webcam that was provided by user newtex (The webcam is facing almost due east with the intersection of Bastrop and Capitol in the center of the picture). A huge thank you to him for setting this up. Please thank him the next time you see him.

2. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    still no stadium pr0n?

3. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember this image?

[​IMG]

It came from this display posted by NewTex before:

http://www.eadohouston.com/downloads...0Promenade.pdf

If you notice though, the link no longer exists. It was initially available on the homepage here:
    http://www.eadohouston.com/index.html

Curious what happened there. Hope they go through with the project. The link was basically the masterplan to what EaDo plans to do in a revitalization effort around the new Dynamo stadium. Spruced up retail, residential, people walking, even a band that looked like Kiss performing in the town square with a couple family members watching. We all know we would never live to see that though. Of course, I'm referring to people walking in Houston...

4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I like that design because it lets in a breeze from the South end

5. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Let's get'r done!
    When can we see the shovels hit the dirt?

6. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    BREAKING NEWS:

The Dynamo Stadium has just hit the Populous website with a few interesting new details.

http://portfolio.populous.com/projects/houstondynamo.html

EDIT: I'd also say the Rendering Populous has up appears to be slightly different form the one's we've seen ....subtly. (Look at Ticket box on Texas Ave side of the Stadium)

Preliminary Concept
    [​IMG]

Rendering on Populous's Website.
    [​IMG]

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hmm..... OK, I might have to believe in this rendering a little more.

8. dynamo11

dynamo11 New Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Houston Dynamo were a 2006 Major League Soccer expansion franchise, and their new stadium planned for the 2012 season is one of the central features of Houston's East Downtown Redevelopment Plan. The 22,000-seat stadium (with expansion capacity to 30,000 seats) will be designed to feature soccer and accommodate multi-use events such as football, lacrosse, rugby and concerts.

The design approach makes use of simple and common materials that refer to the area's industrial heritage, while creating a distinctive civic landmark in an emerging urban neighborhood. A tessellated exterior skin mediates the scale of its context while defining a bold architectural statement in the Houston skyline. Composed of geometrically composed expanded metal sheets and orange polycarbonate infill, this continuous exterior surface surrounds the stadium and provides a dynamic sense of enclosure while enhancing the spectator experience.

Highlighted in orange polycarbonate, articulated openings in the skin range from 3-story general spectator entries to pedestrian scaled ticketing window. The interior concourse continues this theme, with the bowl underside expressed with the team's orange colors to enliven the space.

The Houston MLS Stadium will be a unique precedent for American soccer stadia and innovative design for the region.

9. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're bringing SuperDynamo back too?! :D

10. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I posted this on the other thread in MLS News in regards to Populous's seating capacity figure and how it may relate in regards to a stage. Thought its worth mentioning here...

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wow, that would be a big stage if it can expand capacity by 8,000 or a 27% increase. That seems unlikely to me. I think there will be stage but it is not going to be such a big area that you could add 8,000 seats for specific events. I think the 30,000 number is from adding onto the stadium with additional construction.

They could also be referring to concert attendance. Toyota Park holds 20,000 for soccer but 28,000 for concerts because they put seats on the field.

Reading it again, I think they mean eventual possible stadium expansion to 30,000, not just putting seats on a stage.

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Thats what I thought too . . . . 20k with the possibility of adding another level or expanding one of the sides for 30k.

13. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Reading it again, your idea about Toyota Park sounds about right. That's probably what it is.

Since this is a full bowl on all sides, the only way to expand would be upwards, by adding another level.

[​IMG]

14. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which they do plan on doing eventually.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I can tell you for a fact that our FO knows for sure that Metro's future plans for Texas Ave have been duely noted. The North End as show from the rendering above will be where Texas Ave. runs and that's the future Metro Rail line stop for downtown.
    To add to this is that the East and West sides, Hutchins and Dowling, will be literally backs up to the wall with the demensions of real estate space purchased in the project by AEG and thus what is built on the East and West sides will not be able to expanded upon.
    So, this leads me to conclude that the only side of Dynamo Park that will be do able for future seating expansion is the South End.
    This is probably why that latest rendering with the added CoH shopping and eating block shows Dynamo Park with moderate roofs over the East and West and a very sturdy roof for the entire North End.
    Simply put, what I have been told is that where the roofs go that's where the club cannot forsee future Stadium expansion so roofs will indeed be put in from Day 1 for the majority of the Stadium.

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah it depends on the final design. I have heard instead of full roof on all four sides they will have it on two with light cover on the North and south. At any rate, they will design with the option to expand in one direction (up or otherwise).

17. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for no roofs.. Soccer is so lovely in October in these parts..to bad it won't be this year :( but hey..we're working on 2011 and beyond now.

18. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The site is actually large enough for the stadium to be expanded on both South and North ends, despite rail yet to be constructed on Texas Ave. The addition of MetroRail on Texas Ave will not chew up any of the Dynamo's site due to the buildings around it, like Ballpark Lofts one block east, which is built right up to the curb. The lofts may loose its curbside parking slots here, but the sidewalks of the Dynamo Stadium site are set back further in then the curbside spots for the lofts IIRC.

THIS is why I believe we wont have a full roof, rather 2 sideline roofs. Weather. With 2 sideline roofs, some areas can be shaded while allowing breezes to flow in to cool down the place. The only full roof design that would allow wind to flow in would be a hovering roof, like at Stade France. But that would have been too expensive.

19. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm not sure why they keep calling it a $900 million mistake. Metro will have to re-bid to get the $900 million grant from the federal government but the mistake at this point may only cost them the $40 million they have already spent with the Spanish company.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, I really wanted to post something about the taxpayer-funded retards that run METRO and how their usually corrupt self screwed themselves, but I refrained.

Suffice it to say, I think it is highly unlikely anyone takes a train to the new stadium for a long time.

23. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very excited about this stadium Lets break ground!

24. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I will be taking the train to the new stadium once they are built!

25. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    None of your tax dollars will be used for this stadium!!!