Dynamo Academy Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Soccergodlss, Jan 20, 2017.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    politely disagree. we'll see it in 20 years in some form or another. not necessarily the 3 up/3 down you see in Europe, but perhaps the Liga MX % over a couple tournaments model.

2. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Liga MX is more likely to eliminate pro/rel within 20 years than MLS to adapt it.

DynamoManiac and ElNaranja repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There may be pro but not rel. can’t sell $250 million franchises with a relegation possibility in the US

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have suggested promoting a lower tier side up and after that having specifically lower tier sides compete for avoiding a last place finish the following season in MLS. Thus imposing relegation on themselves.
    If and when an MLS team finishes bottom of the table, said lower league team gets to stay up for the next year. And last place MLS club does not drop to USL but does receive a hefty financial fine from MLS HQ.
    Oh, say, last place MLS team has their owner pay for all travel costs for all other MLS teams the next season.
    Pro/Rel in our soccrr culture can be about avoiding financial hits over spending a new season playing Reno and San Antonio.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Between the two articles one could make an extended thesis of his that we don't try but a relegation fight -- in his theory -- might make us get off our butt. Some of that wanders into whether relegation (supposedly) motivates "players," "owners," or both.

I don't buy it would motivate our players enough to matter. Other than a couple players hustling is not the problem, it's quality.

Do you really buy that our owners would alter their approach if there were relegation consequences? My experience there are (at least) two types of relegation fight responses. Some gamblers are disciplined by the experience and decide they need to double down and spend more to stay where they want. Not all of those gambles pay off, and sometimes a Portsmouth detonates from the bad bet.

Or, I have seen some teams that are disciplined to their budget and won't move even at risk of relegation. "You have to save us on the field." Those teams tend to remain healthy and yo-yo, but their odds of staying up are less because they won't take financial risks. The idea is teams respond to pro-rel. No, they all don't. Some just ride. The pro rel zealots would then say that the existing concept doles out consequences.

I get the idea a lot of pro market pro rel people push the first concept but I think many teams do the second and it's actually the smarter conservative financial approach.

But, I think that's true in the UK where most of your fanbase will follow you down. I am not sure if we faced a schedule of El Paso and San Antonio in a second rate league if we would care. I think relegation would be terminal here for the precise reasons anti pro rel people would say. That the owners want to invest and we want to watch at a certain level of product. Otherwise we have a big stadium, with rent to pay, and already even in MLS some attendance fall off based on product relative to expectations, which would only accelerate if the crap team of now had to be sold away at fire sale and replaced with $30k/year players. I think it would be USOC attendance and then fold.

6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    my argument has always been that there will be a time where you may have 40-45 ownership groups in the US wanting to buy a team and that's not including any foreign investors that may become interested in the MLS. since you cant expand to 45 teams (although Garber will try) then something will have to give.

oh and i have several workarounds the $250M franchise fee and how to make pro/rel palatable to current investors. i wrote on the backside of a napkin at 8th wonder. i dont believe in typing that much so you local locos know where to find me.

my working theory on pro/rel in US involves grandfathering and a gradual change (10 to 20 yrs) to the format. i think i posted long enough here that you dont think i would propose it to be an overnight change from 1 year to the next. now thats stupid.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Far as his academy comments go, meh. As a kid I would finish schoolwork so fast that one year a teacher made a deal where I could go to the library for a half hour. I think the idea was to bolster my education even more with library study. I was given no projects and just set loose. I ended up reading a lot of monster books, Godzilla, Where the Wild Things Are. Once that was figured out they yanked the privilege. I actually think it relates to some of my movie and book interests now. But they were neither leading nor open minded.

Second, one year in junior high when I was playing forward and scoring many goals, they started having me practice with the U-18s also. Similarly, they didn't really teach me anything, they just stuck me out there. I think the one thing I learned was sometimes "simplify." I got little out of it practically because I was over my head and not being specifically coached.

I say this because other than some random thing I might see, I don't know what the value is of just having me watch people play without commentary, at academy age. I pick up on things fast in soccer or other sports if you tell me nuggets, then show them on tape, then try and do them in practice. I think if you didn't give the kids homework or suggestions what to watch -- and probably specific to them -- I'm not sure what they get out of it even if they watched with rapt attention. That is, you have to "coach" them.

I remember a list of coached nuggets from club or college. I pick up on things still watching TV if they are pointed out once or twice. And maybe I might pick up something as an adult watching my competition. But on further thought I think it's kind of half baked to just stand kids on the sideline and expect them to sponge a bunch of lessons. Now, if you were like, "look where he's positioned," or "see how he took x, y, and z out of the play with that pass," now I am learning.

I passed on the Beasley article because it's insightful about the team's thought process and the players'. But the truth of the matter would be more critical.

8. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    *rey* repped this.
  9. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    For those who dont want to look: Palomino (Unattached)

Good for him

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That de la fuente kid tho!

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynam0 repped this.
  12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i'm going to give the Dynamo the benefit of the doubt on this one. like you mentioned i think the NCAA would frown upon this and if the kid never makes it then you would be hurting his chance at a scholarship.

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    a simple answer to this is a residential HS academy setup. "boarding school." then parental issues are a charitable matter not impacting the player (outside emotions and such). you're only mixing the two because it's quasi-select and someone has to feed and house him and drive him to practices and games.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. This is the same club that owns/controls the stadium but tried say they were “just renters”. If there was an NCAA issue about it, they should have come out and said it

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo were going to help this kid out until they realized they couldn’t use United Way General Allocation Money on GOFundMe accounts

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #367 juvechelsea, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that article:
    Flach’s parents are German but he was born in the United States during a period when his family lived in Houston where his father worked. During his early childhood, the family would return to Germany in Hamburg where he was raised and developed as a player with St. Pauli.

Occasionally Flach returned to the United States where he still has friends – although his last visit prior to the U-20 camp was four years ago. To this date, he remains a huge fan of Houston Texans of the NFL. He travelled to London back in November when the Texans played a game at Wembley Stadium and he watches almost every one of their games on television.

Silly kid. Dynamo football has always been better than the Texans.

18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There may be talent in the area, but the youth system isn't great. The best youth clubs in the area have been gobbled up by giant McDonald's like franchises - particularly Rise SC and Dynamo/Dash Youth (not to be confused with the academy). Both of those clubs are terrible, but they cover almost the entire city now and dwarf anybody else. Dallas has a much, much better youth club scene.

CeltTexan and ElNaranja repped this.
  19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is correct.
    That is why I would suggest not going after these pay to play dandy lads. Most of whom take their soccer to be some rec activity over a serious path to the pros like we witness is the other major sports here in town.
    I would go deep into the hood and the Pines and root out the talent that has been oozing outta our city's youth ranks for decades, just no one has go long on getting the poor boys a look over the over coached and under motivated more affluent soccer teen.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I didn’t realize that Chris Richards was on the Texans too. Mind you, he was commuting from Alabama — which is different than a Katy kid playing Dallas academy ball — but FCD poached at least 4 NT type prospects playing ball here.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
  22. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    I don’t know how much this relates specifically to Dynamo Academy issues, but Allocation Disorder podcast from The Athletic brought up a really good point about youth development in MLS. When over half the league makes the playoffs a lot more teams are playing important games for a big percentage of the year, even if you’re a bad team you have a chance to sneak in as a 7 seed. When a manager is managing for his job to get into the playoffs he’s not going to give as many chances to younger players to break into the first team.

When you look at the percentage of minutes in a season by players younger than 20 or 21 it’s about 8% for MLS, which is equal to the Premier League and about less than half of the Dutch league. Garber talks about making the league a selling league but the format of the league doesn’t seem to get them closer to that, at least for the young American players.