Dynamo Academy Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Soccergodlss, Jan 20, 2017.

1. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cultural appropriation noted.

In future please type that with an English accent

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    What side of town did you n your family move to?
    Rush for Woodlands.
    Houstonians inside 610.
    Texans - Rise for SW.

3. CoachE

CoachE New Member

FC BARCELONA
    United States
    Apr 13, 2019
    I’ll probably be moving to the woodlands area.

4. CoachE

CoachE New Member

FC BARCELONA
    United States
    Apr 13, 2019
    Isn’t rush now dynamo dash? I thought they sucked? Thanks .

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you really want your son or daughter to grow in skill and combativeness for soccer, take the U.S. time tested and proved basketball way, go out to a park and play pick up games versus older competition. For hours!
    Then when reporting to any club you want up in the Woodlands your son or daughter will have a tremendous edge on their pay to play teammates and competition. Coaches n club legacy be damned. Real talk CoachE.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you can save money and just join Gulfton FC! See if you make it out on a Tuesday night without a face slash!

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my Lee boys Westie.
    Where I started coaching back in 2000 n found BigSoccer.com that year.

I did bury three students last school year. All murdered in or around Gulfton Ghetto. Dem Latino gangs over there. Sin codigos. Again, real talk.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not even Lee anymore, I think its Wisdom or something like that. I think the ex UT quarterback from the late 80s Peter Gardere went to Lee - I don't think theyve had football team for like 15 years

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    The communists made the district change several middle and high school names, at a significant cost, on many levels. Just to change the placard cost $14,000. Then all the uniforms from sports boys n girls to the band to staff gear.
    When Westside HS opened up that took all the gridiron and baseball players from Lee in 2000. My Varsity boys soccer however have gone on to win the district championship 15 of the past 18 seasons. Sharpstown finally winning this year in 2019. That team coached by my buddy is now newly crowned Region III champs and headed to State.
    We did get our gridiron team back in 2012, coached by an old NFL vet. I helped out with them as well.
    On ex Generals that are known or played pro, Gardere was a UT QB back in the late 80's. More famous is Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top!

10. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Rush controls most all of the fields in the Woodlands. I haven't coached form them in a long time but the had a decent director at the time I was there not sure what's going on now.

There is a small club just on the Northern fringe of the Woodlands call the Dutch Lions. A bunch young Dutch guys who have there own clubhouse and series of fields surrounding. They do a great job of technical training and I have heard good things about them at developing each player rather than just treating you as a number. They have an NPSL team that competes as well (below USL level).

CeltTexan repped this.
  11. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Coach E

You will love the Woodlands - schools, parks, design of the development is great. Soccer fields, sports fields, and pools everywhere. Kids walk to school. Trees.

I moved here from Mandeville LA back in 2003 and this is the best place I have ever lived.

We don't let troublemakers - if you don't already have one, you will have to buy a BMW, Audi, or $80K shiny pickup tho ....

12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Didn't realize they'd been absorbed by Dynamo/Dash youth soccer. That does appear to be the case, though. I've coached against Dynamo/Dash teams from all over Houston including The Woodlands, and yeah my experience has been that uniformally the coaching looks shit and the teams are shit. My son used to see Dynamo teams on the schedule and go, "oh good, that's a guaranteed win". Talked to a parent recently that moved his daughter from Albion, I think, to Dynamo/Dash and could immediately see the drop off in quality and is going back after one season.

I think your only other real option in The Woodlands is Texans SC. Just don't know how the merger with Rise will ultimately shake out for Texans and what the status is of their technical staff.

But if you're in The Woodlands, you're so far north not sure you really want to be looking anywhere else. To Katy, for example, where Albion is would be around 50 miles each way through a lot of bad traffic in the evenings.

13. CoachE

CoachE New Member

FC BARCELONA
    United States
    Apr 13, 2019
    Well that’s not good. Especially seeing how I contacted the Texans last week and still haven’t heard from them

14. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    FYI
    Generation Adidas Cup Houston Dynamo team so far U17?

Chi Fire 2
    HD 1

HD 1
    ATL 0

DC1 (4)
    HD 1 (3) lost on Penalties

Xolos 2
    HD 1

SJ
    HD Game is Today

15. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    These losses wouldnt sting so much if we developed more than one player for the first team in a dozen years.

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When HSP hosted the Generations Cup earlier this year, our U-17s have talent but don't link up well, don't finish well. Our U-15s are the opposite, not a standout among them but they attack n defend well as a unit. Glad to see our lads defeated Atlanta's U-17s. Carlos Bocanegra folded a local Tier 1 Georgia club team into the Atl Utd. academy set up before their entry into MLS play. Word around the camp fire is their academy is booming.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    which do you think was better for the team: Dynamo reserves or the RGV program?

18. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    C: None of the above

19. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo reserves. RGVFC really hasn't developed anyone outside of maybe Memo? The rest that have come through are college kids who flame out and K. Garcia who I'd argue has been about the same since he came into the program and was developed more in the lower leagues overseas.

Ideally I'd like to see the reserve league revived so you can give minutes to the bottom of the bench and rehabbing players without shuffling them off to USL. Would also be nice if we could toss some of our random USL guys into a reserve game if the rules allowed and would give more opportunities to bring them to Houston from RGVFC.

As an aside, and I know this is beating a dead horse, but the Dynamo development system just seems so far from ideal. Just off the top of my head:

1.) Neither USL Championship nor U-23 actually located in the Houston metro

2.) The U-23 side consists of a bunch of guys that have zero link to the academy (Do we get rights to these guys, or have to draft them like everyone else?)

3.) Academy players in general seem to disappear or never feature at the USL level, which just seems bizarre to me given the roster and financial incentives, plus added benefit of showing the Academy guys we'd actually play them, which is weird. Why were Bourgeios, Lucatero, Ibeagha, and McCue given first team contracts if the coaching staff doesn't seem to believe they are even good enough to merit USL minutes?

At some point you have to lean in on the Academy grads if you're serious about developing a pipeline. I'm sure they'll mostly suck, but again, the other guys we've had via USL aren't exactly world beaters. We're talking Eric Bird, Kevin Garcia, Charlie Ward, Jose Escalante, Conor Donovan, Michael Salazar here.

If you don't you'll see guys keep leaking to Dallas, Europe, Mexico, etc. because any young player has to be skeptical of a team with a track record like ours.

DonJuego repped this.
  20. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think RGV. It’s been better at getting “professional” minutes for guys coming back from injury. I think it really did help players like Manotas, Memo, Kevin Garcia, AJD after his injury.

With all that said, it has been marginally helpful so not really good.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
  22. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The academy comment is interesting because around 2012 I was at training when Eddie Robinson brought over a bunch of academy kids to watch. They were doing basically the same thing, and Eddie just chewed the heck out of them and ordered them to pay attention to the drills and what was going on. Beasley has some really good insight and comments in both articles and its a pity that no-one locally picked up on that. But that's the state of the media coverage here.

*rey* repped this.
  23. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I agree there needs to be better coaching at the academy level in the US. More pressure to develop and learn and perform.

Disagree vehemently that relegation is the only way to do that. That's absurd.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promotion/relegation happening in MLS is about as likely as Houston building a subway system. Waste of air. Although it would make the Dynamo seasons more exciting with having to watch them constantly battle to stay up

25. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    not absurd. this is a capitalist country and nothing will light a fire under an owner more than the threat of losing considerable money.

the owners understand the concept of pro/rel and that's why they fear it.