Dynamo 2022 Attendance & Fan Experience Review

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is parking really $40?? Trying to verify this since I've seen it 3 or 4 places on facebook and twitter.

Concessions have always been a mess and labor is hard to find at a good cost, but some things just seem like they will never be fixed. Just sell 1 or 2 types of beers at each stand and keep it simple

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on 1) I believe you are correct - I always have wondered if the Dynamo don't get much if any of a cut of the parking because Canetti seemed unconcerned the year the Dynamo had like 7 conflicts with the Astros and parking was unavailable. Another year I think we played Dallas early in the year and they had some loser rave party or something in those lots. You'd think if they made good money on it then they would want no conflicts so the club could retain some parking revenue from the event.

At game 1 I think LAZ parking was manning it, and they seemed wholly unconcerned about doing their job efficiently and making sure inflows and outflows of cars went smoothly so I get the feeling now that it is a contracted-out deal with limited revenue for the Dynamo.

ON I-45 project, its gonna cost a lot of parking real estate and I can't see the club splurging for expensive land in the area. Of course the I-45 project may not even go off since it has some racial inequity nonsense up against it

3. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    For the last game yes. For the Astros lots. Can’t speak for the other lots around the south and west sides of the stadium area.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That's usually been a $20 lot for Dynamo and Astros (Except playoffs).

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. This figure, what MLS HQ receives back in NYC each month for our truth be told tickets sold and tickets scanned, is where the rubber meets the road.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The parking lot just South of PNC off of Emancipation and Walker is normally $15.

7. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    The weird thing is it started off at $20 for the first game. I’m not sure what was going on. Astros fanfest was a week before the last game. It’s weird.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same here. Was $20 for the opener and that included an absurdly long line because of only 1 person taking money at the entrance and two lanes merging with no direction

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo “announced” a sellout of 21,284. They may have distributed all of the tickets but that was nowhere close to a sellout crowd. Who knows how many were given away for free. The other side of announcing sellouts to half empty stadiums says “ I had a ticket but it wasn’t worth my time to use it”.

10. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Sold mine, incredibly they sold within 30 minutes of me putting them up. For me the decision was the Astros game. Free parking for Lexus drivers isn't honored when the Astros are playing so I didn't feel like shelling out 40 bucks, plus trying to find a space, plus potential extra traffic for a team that is already out of the playoffs.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Astros conflict games are terrible. I noticed for the new East club seats the team is only including parking for non-conflict games (which given the price of those seats is absurd). I still loved when Canetti claimed the club was only a renter and didn’t control the calendar!!! Another whopper

CeltTexan repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know where to post this and did not really want to create a new thread. This goes towards Apple TV taking over all MLS broadcasts in the future and what happens to the local TV crew that calls each MLS club's broadcasts. Celo, ex MLS player and U.S. Nats footballer in case you do not know, reporting about his future as the Colorado Rapids announcer.

[​IMG]

13. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta believe that Apple will pick up the local announcers with some sort of contract. Odds have got to be extremely low that they have a dozen or so new announce teams ready to go for next year to call all the games

PS

no more "out of the theater of the imagination??"

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #39 juvechelsea, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    i doubt they'll be just showing a feed so someone will be covering the games. they occasionally bring new faces in when a new network wins tournament hosting, league rights, etc., but then several of the faces remain the same, too. so they won't be working for the dynamo but someone will be announcing.

i could see this shifting towards an NFL model. roughly enough broadcast crews to cover all the games each week, ~15, but instead of redundant home and away crews, one national crew per game like football. they often seem to have a regional emphasis where you might see more of a particular crew who, say, get a lot of texans games. eg steve tasker used to.

the pool doing that will likely include glenn, if he wants it. likely balboa too, though the dramatics won't help. now, glenn generally hasn't been punchy enough for me though he's loosened lately, and perhaps it's all loosened this year since they see this coming, plus we keep sucking. but anyhow, glenn already is fairly national level. does world cups, women's games. national rights stuff. fairly smooth, doesn't talk too much pointlessly over the game, can follow the game easily, can critique if he wants to. would he get us as one of his usuals? who knows. would eddie be involved? less certain. eddie is less smooth, but at this point also experienced.

one hitch i can think of is our broadcasts have generally been the "boys in the trailer" here. so are the telecasts going to shift to the NFL site model -- which might appeal less to announcers who like sitting in houston and don't travel -- or will they be voice-overs from a studio, which could be anywhere. heck, the cycling race broadcasters sometimes sound like they are working from a home studio. someone doing production needs to be on site or "in bristol," but with high speed internet the announcers don't.

the other couple hitches i have heard discussed are (1) you may get the national money but you lose the local money (though do we get paid much or do we pay to broadcast) -- but i assume that nets out positive for us -- and (2) for the viewer we may all be placed in a paywall situation. there is also a soccer/business concern for us where (3) we net out better on revenue but the competition is also then allowed to spend more and use more tools, so we're still chasing.

to be blunt, until very very lately the local broadcasting has pulled punches which has helped run interference for the team. that's not going to happen on a NFL model. the broadcasts will get more brutally honest.

but if we have to pay for this, that's brutal. i also don't know how good it is for the league to go entirely behind an internet paywall. it goes from a league of increasing casual interest all over cable to a niche fanboy thing again.....like some of the games used to be when the dynamo didn't cover the whole schedule. you could pay for MLS' internet package or you could follow the ticker. that is, unless the telecasts are on apple but free.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly the NFL way and a bit more of the NBA way, having a dedicated TV broadcast team(s) like the NFL and then a go to home base a la the NBA does with their TNT crew with Shaq, Kenny, Sir Charles and the lead anchor Ernie Johnson that keeps that unit from going off the rails. CBS already has this with their Euro crew and American crew depending on who is playing. Sometimes mixing the two. Which CBS has found some good chemistry.

There is so much soccer content out there these days, just think 10 years ago in 2012 to now! All that we speak on and MLS HQ plans on from above might be good on paper but then like you mentioned, who is going to pay for an MLS package. More so when the league is turning a significant corner with newbies to the sport, going long on Apple+ might be a decade early. Or perhaps a move post North America 2026 when the sport gets another USA1994 shot in the arm with new fans to the sport and really need to get their soccer fix.

It has become Glenn's signature call. Marv Albert just stated "Yes!"

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so a lot of MLS announcers are tweeting final farewells from the booth for the last home game since many teams had their home finale last weekend and no guarantees on next year with Apple. A lot of Twitter speculating but it appears that there will only be a main in-stadium crew based in NY and LA and the rest of the games will be called off monitors remotely in the Miami area at a production facility. Apparently this will be much cheaper than having 14 announce crews on site each weekend. An old MLS broadcasting guy has been hired to lead the effort.

Reading between the lines and tweets, it seems like most of the current MLS crews will be out of work and replaced with cheaper options. Has a sweatshop feel too it. Teams can do local radio and maybe postgame stuff but most will be an English world feed sort of deal

*rey* repped this.
  17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dash “announced” attendance of 21,284. Now, I don’t want to beat them up after a crushing loss, but when you have all sorts of celebratory tweets about the big crowd and sellouts then the pictures show at best 70% full, it just stems silly. I suspect they had sponsors given lots of tickets and they had the 713 promotion so that helps. It just seems like a fake achievement when clearly they had a ton of non-sells or no-shows.

18. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Yeah, dude. I was in-stadium and that’s one of the worst refs I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen Joel Aguilar twice in-person. Dash gor robbed.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, with the Dynamo not in the CCL anymore I've sort of forgotten about the terrible CONCACAF refs we used to see in club and country. NWSL officiating seems very poor compared to MLS based on what I see tweeted.

But if fans had a good time today then it still is a positive.

20. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Ethos repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does seem like completing all of the renovations in the next 84 days for the opening day of February 25th seems aggressive. They can probably get all of the seats in but not sure about the other stuff. Assuming no supply chain issues as well.

22. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  23. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

24. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

Are headrests a thing in other stadiums? Within Houston or otherwise

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think these are just how they created high-back seats, feel like they showed this model at some point end of last season for the club areas. Like they replaced all of the seats with mesh ones then bolted (or affixed) the headrest deals on the club seats.