Dynamo 2008 Roster Thread...

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by zolafan, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are pretty much out of cheap spare parts to trade. If we want to keep the core (generally old San Jose guys), we only have a few project guys like Wondo and Ashe, our DP slot (which I think we should trade for a 2 year period since we are probably never going to use it due to the cap situation), and the rights to Corrales (which may be worth something now that he reportedly signed with MLS). We generally trade most of our draft picks and I don't think we have any allocation money or slots left because we won the last 2 years.

2. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    No, Ianni was definitely Gen Adidas last year. The team had 18 other guys on the senior roster: Onstad, Wells, Barrett, Waibel, Robinson, Cochrane, Mulrooney, Mullan, Davis, Clark, Derosario, Holden, Ashe, Ching, Dalglish, Ngwenya, Jaqua and Wondo. That's 18, so Ianni was not on the senior roster.

I'm not sure where you are saying that I double counted keepers, (I listed the new keeper in my list, but did not count him in the total). Let me restate what I believe the position is:

If Ianni has to be promoted to the senior roster, then Houston now has two open roster spots. If Ianni does not have to be promoted, then the team has three open spots. It's anyone's guess what the position really is relative to the salary cap. But based on roster moves (Wells, Cochrane, Dalglish, Ngwenya and Jaqua out; and Boswell, Caig and maybe Ianni in), just those moves give Houston a net $330k for Caig and 3 roster spots. If Ianni takes one of the three senior roster slots, then the team has $260k or so for Caig and two other roster spots.

3. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    Updated, based on info in the Chron that Thompson is staying in school. I also heard that Eric Ebert is not in training camp, that he may be trying out for Chivas or the LA Galaxy. Was anyone at practice, can you confirm or deny? Ebert is from Southern California, so this makes some sense. I've left him on the roster for now, until we can get confirmation one way or another.

Senior Roster

Onstad, Caig - GK
    Barrett, Robinson, Waibel, Boswell - D
    Mulrooney, Clark, DeRosario, Mullan, Davis, Holden, Ashe - M
    Ching, Wondo - F

3 open spots (one may be used by Ianni)

Developmental Roster

Ianni, Steve Wondo, Chabala, Ebert (??) - D
    Hayden, Ustruck, Cameron, Barlow, Alcarez, Hall - M
    Georgeff - F

11 (or 10, if Ianni is promoted) guys competing for 9 slots (the 10th development spot will be used for a third keeper)

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    OK I see where our counts were different. I assumed it was from the keeper being mentioned twice but it was in regard to Ashe. Sometime in the middle of the year his salary went from the original listing on the MLS union site of 13,900 to the senior roster minimum of 30K. I had the PDF from three weeks ago and it still listed him under his development contract. Now they 2007 numbers posted have him at senior numbers. I assumed he was still under a dev contract . . oops. That was our only difference on the Future numbers.

I wish I could find any information on GenAd contracts . . how long they last, any rules or regulations. arrgh

5. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    It was pretty early in the year. They originally signed Hayden to a senior roster contract (pretty normal for a first round pick) and Ashe to a developmental contract. But then they swapped the two, I think it was around May. (Tried to find something about it online, but couldn't).

I posted in Bernardo's blog asking him to find out the status about Ianni's contract, hopefully he'll follow up on it!

6. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    Here is the best information I could come up with for where Houston really is against the salary cap. If anyone has other info (particularly on Onstad, Mullan and Caig's new contracts), chime in.

Here's the information on the salaries for the guys as of last summer (from MLS Players Union website):

Ashe $30,000
    Wondo $30,000
    Boswell $30,870
    Holden $31,500
    Waibel $85,000
    Robinson $110,000
    Davis $120,000
    Mullan $125,000
    Barrett $141,750
    Onstad $168,000
    Clark $195,000
    Mulrooney $220,000
    Ching $220,000
    DeRosario $325,000
    Caig ??
    Ianni $70,000 (may not count, depends if he is still Gen Adidas)

We know that Mullan and Onstad signed new contracts in the off season, but we don't know what the salary is. I'd be surprised if Onstad got much of a raise, he is already one of the highest paid keepers in the league. Mullan probably got a raise, hard to say what his salary is. I think I also read that Waibel signed a new contract, but I would be surprised if he got much of a raise. Let's assume that their new salaries are:

Mullan: $175,000
    Onstad: $180,000
    Waibel: $90,000
    Caig: $50,000

I think these numbers are likely higher than what they really got. If we also factor in the 5% raise that guys with lower salaries are guaranteed (I think that would only be for Wondo, Ashe, Holden and Boswell, from what I've read on other threads), that adds in another $6120 to the salary total.

This would give the total salary for 15 senior spots at

$1,955,240

So, Houston would have about $350,000 to fill 3 senior roster spots. If Pat Ianni is no longer Gen Adidas, and assuming his salary is about the same (let's say it's $75,000 guaranteed instead of $70,000), then Houston would have $275,000 for two roster spots.

This also assumes that Mulrooney is still making $220,000 - there is a chance that the team has or will try to negotiate his salary down a bit. On the other side, the team may also try to sign Holden to a longer contract, but that would have to be at a higher salary.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, Houston really doesn't have enough room under the cap to sign a DP, unless they get an allocation (I don't think the team has any allocations from what I can find out there). Even if Ianni is still Gen Adidas, and they sign two guys to minimum salaries, they would have about $290,000 for the last spot and would need an allocation to bridge the gap.

7. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    I just found out that the MLS Rules changed in the offseason, and the age for developmental players increased by one year. The rule now says that a player who is 25 or younger during the calendar year is eligible for the developmental roster (it was 24 or younger previously).

The impact of this is that one Dynamo player from last year's dev roster, Nick Hatzke, is now still eligible to stay on a dev contract. I had removed him from that list earlier in this thread.

I have not been able to get any confirmation on whether or not Eric Ebert is in camp, but I'm pretty sure he is not. The story I heard was that he is trying out with one of the LA teams, closer to home. For now, I'm leaving him on the list of guys until I can confirm it.

Here's the updated list of guys:

Senior Roster

Onstad, Caig - GK
    Ching, Wondo - F

3 open spots (2 if Ianni is promoted)

Developmental Roster

Pope, Waller - GK
    Hayden, Hatzke, Ustruck, Cameron, Barlow, Alcarez, Hall - M
    Georgeff - F

14 (or 13 if Ianni is promoted) guys competing for 10 slots

8. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    Bernardo just confirmed that Ianni is still Gen Adidas, so he does not count on the senior roster:

Senior Roster

Onstad, Caig - GK
    Ching, Wondo - F

3 open spots

Developmental Roster

Pope, Waller - GK
    Hayden, Hatzke, Ustruck, Cameron, Barlow, Alcarez, Hall - M
    Georgeff - F

14 guys competing for 10 slots

9. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

Dynamofan - no Ebert listed on the roster at the game tonight. I asked a couple of the Dynamo players afterward, and they said Ebert is trying out with Chivas, so your information on him was correct.

10. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    I figured you guys might want to know what numbers everyone is wearing, so if you see pictures you can recognize the guys. Here's the list that they handed out at the game Wed night:

1 - Caig
    2 - Robinson
    3 - Alcaraz
    4 - Ianni
    5 - Barlow
    6 - Ustruck
    7 - C Wondo
    8 - Mulrooney
    9 - Mullan
    11 - Davis
    12 - Georgeff
    13 - Clark
    14 - DeRo
    15 - Hall
    16 - Waibel
    17 - Chabala
    18 - Onstad
    19 - Hayden
    20 - Cameron
    21 - Hatzke
    22 - Holden
    23 - S Wondo
    24 - Barrett
    25 - Ching
    26 - Ashe
    30 - Waller
    32 - Boswell
    35 - Pope

11. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What say you now that you know we have the allocation from SJ for Corrales??????:confused:

12. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    Antnee -- here's the udpated calculation, adding in the $100k that Bernardo estimated the allocation was worth, and also factoring in the fact that Ianni is definitely still Gen Adidas. Recognize that this could be off because I am guessing on some of the salaries (Waibel, Onstad and Mullan's new salaries, Caig's salary, and whether any of the other guys got significant raises):

Salaries from last year are in regular font, ones that I updated are in bold:
    Ashe $30,000
    Wondo $30,000
    Boswell $30,870
    Holden $31,500
    Waibel $90,000 (estimate)
    Robinson $110,000
    Davis $120,000
    Mullan $175,000 (estimate)
    Barrett $141,750
    Onstad $180,000 (estimate)
    Clark $195,000
    Mulrooney $220,000
    Ching $220,000
    DeRosario $325,000
    Caig $50,000 (estimate)

I think these estimates for Waibel, Onstad, Mullan and Caig are likely higher than what they really got, but they could be off. Also, add in the 5% raise that the lower salaried guys are supposed to get, which is about $6000. This would give the total salary for 15 senior spots at

$1,955,240

Assuming the salary cap is $2.3M, as rumored, and the allocation Houston got is $100k, and Houston has just about $445,000 to spend on the last 3 senior roster spots. I would say that I could be off by as much as $100-150k, as Mullan may have gotten a lot more than $175k coming off his team MVP season, and some of the other guys may have automatic raises built into their contracts.

13. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    changes from last year -

Ustruck from 27 to 6 (Kelly Gray's old number)
    Hatzke from 31 to 21 (Jaqua's old number)
    Mulrooney from 30 to 8 (Dalglish's old number, Mulrooney gets to go back to his old number w/Quakes 2.0)
    and we already knew about S. Wondo having to give up his 32 to Boswell...

14. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS in the cyber-age... wow. :rolleyes:

And regardless of current contract specs, Onstad is getting screwed. In my humble opinion, he is worth closer to a Ching than he is a Barrett/Clark average. We win 'em by preventing the opponents from scoring, in addition to scoring on 'em, as well, if you'll recall... Remember, "You'll Ne-ver Beat Pat On-stad!"

15. bilzy

bilzy New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    First thing Evan said after looking at the pics from the SJ match- "Richard has his number back" and the second thing was - "Doesn't anyone from the Dynamo staff know the difference between Richard and Brian (Mullan)?" Since Richard was identified as Brian in the picture from that match that is posted on the main Dynamo site.

16. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    I've updated my estimates, assuming that Brown signs a senior roster contract for $30k, and that Caraccio was signed for $90k, as Bernardo reported. Here's the summary:

Salaries from last year are in regular font, ones that I updated are in bold:

Ashe $30,000 + 5% raise = $31,500
    Wondo $30,000 + 5% raise = $31,500
    Boswell $30,870 + 5% raise = $32,414
    Holden $31,500 + 5% raise = $33,075
    Waibel $90,000 (estimate)
    Robinson $110,000
    Davis $120,000
    Mullan $175,000 (estimate)
    Barrett $141,750
    Onstad $180,000 (estimate)
    Clark $195,000
    Mulrooney $220,000
    Ching $220,000
    DeRosario $325,000
    Caig $50,000 (estimate)
    Carracio $90,000 (estimate)
    Brown $30,000 (estimate - not sure if the min salary went up this year)

So, the total salary for 17 guys on the senior roster is $2.075M
    I think these estimates for Waibel, Onstad, Mullan and Caig are likely higher

Assuming the salary cap is $2.3M, as rumored, and the allocation Houston got is $100k, and Houston has just about $325,000 to spend on the last senior roster spots. I would say that I could be off by as much as $100-150k, as Mullan may have gotten a lot more than $175k coming off his team MVP season, and some of the other guys may have automatic raises built into their contracts.

17. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff has the 2008 salary list up:
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider

Dynamo salaries I found interesting:
    Caig at 52k
    Caraccio 120k
    Cameron was apparently offered a senior contract, and is at 33k
    Stu, Ashe, Boswell all making about the same as Cameron.
    Ianni 75k, so I assume he is still GA

Someone with more desire than I can work out the salary cap situation.

18. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without knowing the exact cap number, I don't think I can work that out. I do find it interesting that Mulrooney took about a $60,000 pay cut from 07 to 08.

Judging by the salaries, it looks like the development players are:

Alcaraz
    Brown (Why the hell did RSL let him go? Where they at their roster limit?)
    Chabala
    Hatzke
    Hayden
    Ianni (Gen Adidas)
    Ustruck
    Waller
    S. Wondo

That makes 17 senior roster spots and therefore one available. MLSnet almost got it right...the only thing they missed was listing Waller as a senior player which never sounded right. Still not sure exactly how far under the cap we are but I can't imagine we have more than a couple hundred grand to play with for that last spot.

19. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comparison of 2007 and 2008 salaries - I prefer looking at the guaranteed compensation column, which prorates in signing bonuses...

Code:
    [U]Name[/U]       [U]2007 Guaranteed Compensation[/U]     [U]2008 Guaranteed Compensation[/U]
    Ashe                 $30,000                            $33,000
    Barrett              $141,750                           $148,838
    Chabala              $17,700                            $17,700
    Ching                $220,000                           $231,000
    Clark                $195,000                           $225,500
    Davis                $120,000                           $126,000
    DeRosario            $325,000                           $325,000
    Hatzke               $12,900                            $12,900
    Hayden               $17,700                            $17,700
    Holden               $31,500                            $33,075
    Ianni                $103,000                           $108,000
    Mullan               $125,000                           $162,553
    Mulrooney            $233,200                           $157,500
    Onstad               $168,000                           $173,000
    Robinson             $110,000                           $131,250
    Ustruck              $12,900                            $12,900
    Waibel               $85,000                            $70,008
    C. Wondolowski       $30,000                            $33,000

20. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding up the 17 senior spots, I came up with:

Base Salary: $2,082,007
    Guaranteed Salary: $2,101,819

That's leaving out Ianni at $75,000 and $108,000 because I'm not quite sure if his extra guaranteed compensation counts against the cap.

I forgot what the cap was raised to this year :confused:

And what did we get, about $100,000 allocation from Corrales?

21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In regards to Ianni, he doesn't count against the cap either way. He is Gen Addidas (last year) and GenAds don't count, despite their large contracts. Next year is a different story, but, IIRC, this is a contract year for him so he'll be negotiating a new deal.

The Cap is ~$2.3 million. And we did get $100K for Corrales, which is why I always thought that Franco didn't count against the cap, but it looks like he counts only $20K.

One thing about allocation $$, it can only be applied to players who sign new contracts, so, ATM, the only players applicable are:

Caraccio
    Mullan
    Onstad
    Mulrooney
    Clark?
    Waibel?

22. carlfordnathan

Dec 3, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the April 15th transfer deadline coming up, has anybody heard any rumors or news about potential moves, in or out?

23. biggio007

biggio007 New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    I grew up playing club soccer with Sambursky & Holden before going to college, both great players...

Samburksy is a workhorse with alot of talent and drive...
    Since he was drafted I havent heard much about him, heard we did sign him to development contract last year and then thats about the last I heard. Can anyone fill me in on his status?