Dynamo 2

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 28, 2022.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It was time for a Dynamo 2 thread.

Kenny Bundy has been named head coach.

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/news/houston-dynamo-fc-name-kenny-bundy-as-dynamo-2-head-coach

He played college soccer at UNC-Greensboro and then in the USL and MISL until 2009.

We should get some roster information soon. The Next Pro league is supposed to start play in March.

2. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Maybe I forgot, but has it been announced where they will play?

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It has not.

4. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    If I remember from some of the pilot games they ran in the second half of last year it seemed like they were day of games or the day after at training facilities.

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know it is a bad sign of the times when a fan of a club looks forward more to attending the Reserve League matches for his club over going downtown for First Team action.

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    MLS Next Pro roster rules:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-next-pro-clubs-build-rosters-ahead-of-inaugural-2022-season

More details:

https://www.mlsnextpro.com/legal/2022-mls-next-pro-roster-guidelines.html

24 roster slots (1-24) may be filled with professional players. These roster slots include International and Domestic players, and players on loan.

11 roster slots (25-35) may be filled with amateur players. There shall be a maximum of five (5) MLS NEXT youth academy players per team on the field during an official match.

A player is eligible to participate as an amateur (academy) player, provided that:
    1. he is under the age of 21 before the official start of the season,
    2. he has not competed in any college or university soccer programs,
    3. he has never been signed or recognized as a professional player as defined by the NCAA or FIFA, and
    4. he currently plays, or previously played, for the Club's MLS NEXT academy, or for a team which has a documented affiliation with the Club.
    There is more at the link.

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets at least 5 youth academy products out on the field at all times. Then have 11 amateur status players on the roster from perhaps other local clubs and or high schools. Sounds good!

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo have announced a preseason schedule for Dynamo 2.

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/news/houston-dynamo-2-announce-inaugural-preseason-schedule

Sunday, 2/20/22 - San Antonio FC v. Dynamo 2 1:00 pm
    Monday, 2/28/22 - Dynamo 2 v. FC Tulsa @ HSP 11:00 am

Sunday, 3/6/22 - Dynamo 2 v. Rio Grande Valley @ HSP 11:00 am
    Sunday, 3/13/22 - Dynamo 2 v. FC Dallas @ HSP 1:00 pm

The article says that the last two games will be free and open to the public.
    Playing FC Dallas seems odd. Surely that is against North Texas SC, the FCD MLS Next Pro team.

The regular season for Dynamo 2 will start in March after these game.

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo sign some players to Los Dos.

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/new...dynamo-2-sign-four-academy-products-to-mls-ne

Avila and Murana are 21 years old.
    Castillo and Gonzalez are 19.

10. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I wonder if these rules are set to prevent foreign clubs from poaching academy prospects on a free. Looks that way but maybe I'm reading the rules wrong.

DonJuego repped this.
  11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I really dislike the general misuse of "poaching" but, yes, I think this is a way to sign younger players to contracts and keep them in a MLS team's organization. Among other things.

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo 2 had their first preseason game on Sunday. I don't see any report on the Dynamo website but here is the recap from San Antonio FC.

https://www.sanantoniofc.com/news/s...-over-houston-dynamo-2-in-preseason-friendly/

SAFC 2-1 HOU2, final

This tweet indicates that the HD2 goal was scored by Thor Ulfarsson.

I don't see any other lineup information other than the picture.

[​IMG]

HD2 has their next preseason game at HSP against FC Tulsa on Monday, February 28. It doesn't sound like that game is open to spectators.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.houstondynamofc.com/news/houston-dynamo-2-announce-inaugural-preseason-schedule
    From our club's website on these first Dynamo 2 games, it states that the March games are free and open to the public. It is vague on the FC Tulsa match this coming Monday if that specific one is free and open to the public. Perhaps the club will announce their intentions to be less insular as we all move forward under Nagamura and Onstad. It would be nice to play hooky from work on a Monday! Ha!

From the link:
    The first preseason test for Dynamo 2 is on the road against San Antonio FC on Sunday, Feb. 20 at 1:00 p.m. CST. This game will then be followed up with the team’s first home match of the preseason, when they host FC Tulsa at Houston Sports Park on Monday, Feb. 28 at 11:00 a.m. CST

Dynamo 2 will also host preseason matches on Sunday, March 6 at HSP against Rio Grande Valley FC at 11:00 a.m. CST and on Sunday, March 13 against FC Dallas at 1:00 p.m. CST. These matches will be free and open to the public.

15. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    MLS has a release about the entire league:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-...al-schedule-for-2022-season-starting-march-25

HD2 is in the Frontier Division of the Western Conference:

Frontier Division
    Colorado Rapids 2
    North Texas SC
    Houston Dynamo 2
    Sporting KC II
    MNUFC2
    St. Louis CITY2

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I finally got my calendar updated. It looks like the single HD2 game at PNC Stadium will be a double-header with the Dynamo on April 16. Both teams will be playing Portland that day.

The first team game is listed as 5 pm CDT and the HD2 game is at 8 pm.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Related to that there are some other obvious group travel situations.

On April 23 both Dynamo teams are at Dallas.

July 23 and 24 have home games against the Minnesota teams.
    Same for August 27 with both games at Minnesota on the same day.

I'm surprised there aren't more.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i thought FIFA set up the solidarity payments to cover the "develop then first pro deal someplace else" issue

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    “I’m proud of the players’ commitment to developing our team identity,” said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. “We’ve said it from day one – preseason serves the purpose of developing the team identity. Results at this moment are irrelevant to us, it’s about applying our game model principles, which the players did today.”

you see where this is basically corporate babble emanating from various teams at all levels, no?

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    if thor and/or gitau start out HD2 that speaks to my concern with us not cashing in on what we do manage to trip over. there are layers on this, not just scouting new players, developing, but having the eye to discern if someone is worthy, and then actioning it into the first team.

raines is the only one who has to time-serve down there on purpose. everyone else if you're better than a first teamer and good enough to be a regular preseason sub with the second team, the other guy should be out of a job. this is how we improve the bench, is reward castilla gitau thor etc. this is not some top level MLS team, this is crap, i would not assume our marginal veterans are above replacement level.

and that then motivates the next raines or castilla to sign here, because we take young talent seriously. ok, if i sign here i might get first team time soon. every coach for a decade given a choice between some veteran has been and a prospect goes veteran seemingly "to protect his job," then loses it because they suck. but then with the HH rumors we can't decide if this is a kids team headed by ferreira or a veteran team headed by fafa HH and hadebe. personally i think we've done the latter every year since 2018. tried. failed. do something else.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve, Gitau, Thor and the like might start out here in the Spring playing on our Dynamo 2 but that just serves for Nagamura to watch them progress and pull them up to our First Team by Summer time.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #23 juvechelsea, Feb 26, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    everything about this team is done on a "manana" timeframe. you may recall even jordan was surprised that 2017 happened when it did. it was not meant to happen ie done on purpose.

i would just point over towards yonder MNT filled with 17-19 year olds. sometimes there is a coincidence of crap veterans and youthful talent. i was starting for my college team as a fish by the third game and kind of p*ssed it wasn't day 1. i think we should not race kids ahead of themselves into the first team under normal conditions, but these are neither normal conditions nor normal kids. if someone shows up you respect what you see. that is not rushed if they earn what they get.

the question is then do you do same ol same ol or reflect what your own preseason told you. we are hidebound and will default back to veterans and history. i think treating a last place team's incumbents as inherently more reliable is self refuting nonsense.

my general thought, expressed in terms of the NT, would be i would rather be betting on the futures of beasley and donovan (2002) -- upside ahead -- than the past of reyna (2006) -- upside behind. if you know your dynamo history you know the decision to keep bringing ching back probably cost them 2 more titles for lack of offense.

the kids were good enough to be impact bench players in preseason in the natural order of things. not third shift with the draft picks and trialists. second shift with the regulars. tossing them back to the reserves is lacking the courage of your own convictions.

part of the reason we suck -- small reason -- is under pressure we default back to trusting the status quo that objectivity should suggest better than.

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya Juve.
    However, we have not played 1 game thus far this 2022 season. No coach is gonna slot in his Academy boys he rates highly in February. Chill.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    1 draft pick or recent HGP even dressed today (thor)