Dying Christopher Hitchens, still no need for God, or prayer

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by minerva, Sep 20, 2010.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atheist Hitchens skipping prayer day in his honor

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100920/ap_on_re_us/us_christopher_hitchens_cancer

2. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Good on him. It's good to stick by your values, instead of succumbing to the values of others...

3. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at least you can tell that he sincerely believes what he believes. whether he's right or wrong, who knows. perhaps we'll find out when we're in a similar situation ourselves. perhaps we'll never find out. I know many Christians are praying for him - but really, they're hoping that he crumbles and succumbs to the fear of the unknown, and accept the Lord as his Saviour on his death bed. that would be quite a coup for them.

4. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Maybe I should do the same for christians and hope they become atheists. I don't know why they need to impose their viewpoints onto him. When people say they are praying for me, I just say "Thanks, but you should pray for yourselves instead".

And it's rather self serving that they are praying for him to hope he crumbles... very self serving. I don't think using religion as a tool for personal satisfaction is a good thing at all.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hitchens seems the type to, if the situation called for it, cut off his nose to spite his face. I don't see any kind of death bed switcheroo, and even if the thought crossed his mind, I can see it immediately followed by "**** it, I won't give them the satisfaction."

In all seriousness though, I wish him nothing but the best in his fight.

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah.

What you should really hope for is that there is a god, the rapture happens, and all the true believers of all faiths are brought up to heaven (or wherever), and the world is left to the rest of us.

Works out best for everyone.

7. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Or in reality it's all a sham and everybody was lied to... which could happen.

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And since dogs don't go to heaven, FREE PUPPIES!

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    But I'll miss most of you Atheists!

10. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Hitchens. I have always enjoyed reading his stuff, with the exception of "God is Not Great" which is a hugely inaccurate and almost inane bit of non-sense, but in a debate I say him in, when it was pointed out the many wild inaccuracies and over exagerrations of the book, he pointed out that he was a polemicist and was trying to get people's attention, and wasn't all that interested in fact. I can live with that, and I generally admired the man for being brave and a defender of freedom of democracy who could write circles around most people.

If I offer up prayers for Hitchens and I hope for anyone that does, then it will be out of deep concern and compassion for a man who is facing a very difficult situation, not because I somehow hope that another peg goes in the God bin. Even though I disagree with Hitchens on some things, the world will be a lesser place without him.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget prayers, we need to do shots for him, I did a shot when I found out about his cancer, I will try to remember every time I go out drinking to do a shot in his name!

Does anyone know what his favorite drink is?

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    He drinks an assortment, but has often stated a preference for Scotch (being a decent human being). Johnnie Walker is his daily sipper.

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP51NnoVErA"]YouTube - Christopher Hitchens' Favorite Whiskey[/ame]

14. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will do. A shot for Hitchens. Have to go with a cheap Scottish brand tonight.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Figures that the evil heathen atheist would go for Johnnie Walker.

Joking, joking. I raise a glass of my 12 year old Macallan to the improvement of his health!

17. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you suggesting that the modern-day atheist does more for the betterment of the planet than the modern-day Christian, on average?

if that's your view, on what do you base it?

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    You find the notion of a believing person praying for you - regardless of the circumstances - insulting? :confused:

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I probably bring down the Atheist average, the only thing I do is recycle.

It would be hard to tell, over all there are more bad and good Christians in the world, so Christians may do more good and more bad in total. (Like most Narcos in Mexico are devout Roman Catholics).

Incarceration rates also show a higher percentage of Christians than of Atheist, but I highly doubt we should use that as a metrix.

http://www.adherents.com/misc/adh_prison.html

So it depends on how "the betterment of the planet" is defined. Ecological? economical? Entertainment? Wars?

Is not really insulting, just unnecessary, is like me saying I am going to watch an hour of TMZ in your name, it is just a waste of time, I much rather someone plant a tree for me if I get sick, it has as much as a chance of helping as praying, and if it does not work, then we helped the planet. :D

20. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Absolutely. I think there would be less conflict and wars if fewer people were religious (notice I didn't say specifically Christian). More atheists would make the world a better place.

And tell me, if you believe that Christians are better for the planet, what do you base that on? :rolleyes: I'm assuming you believe the opposite as I do.

21. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Where did I say insulting? :confused:

I said self serving.

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but your first post said specifically Christian...

and you didn't address the basis for your view. why do you think there would be less conflict? do you view all conflict as bad? are there conflicts that result in greater understanding and better peace?

23. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in what way is praying for someone self-serving? and most Christians aren't praying of Hitchens to "crumble"; they are praying that he will understand that there is a God who loves him. that isn't crumbling, unless you think that knowing somebody loves you is a weak link in your chain.

24. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Then I will correct myself. ;) So I think that of most religions...

Some conflict is inevitable, but a lot is fueled by religious reasons and can only end in dire results. I think humanity needs to focus on peace and avoid wars, and I view religion as a detriment to that.

Still, you haven't justified why you asked that... do you think Christians are better than Atheists?

25. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :rolleyes: That's very self serving. Yes, that he will convert to their viewpoints. So I guess your viewpoint in god is more valid than my atheism? It isn't about love. It's about being self serving and hoping a rival crumbles to your religious viewpoint. I've had people say they are "praying for me", as well as saying that I stop living a "life of sin"... even though I did not welcome that at all.

It's selfish. Plain and simple.