Dwight "El Tanque" Pezzarossi thread

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by Guatefc, Jul 1, 2005.

1. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Re: Where will Dwight Pezzarossi Sign?

yeah his shots blasted right through the weak TT defense. :D

2. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
  3. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Suazo is a bit more of a ballhug, because his team reallistically only has one or two other good players, so basically they play to his strenghts.
    He's got good size, better than decent speed, and he knows how to score.
    He has played in the 1st and 3rd divs in Chile (in fact he skipped the 2nd one) which shows that he can make a jump to a tougher league.
    I think overall, that Mancilla is a better soccer player, but he plays for a better team; with players that can pass the ball and whatnot better than in Suazo's team. Plus, Mancilla doesn't have the workload Suazo has because there are 4-5 other good guys in that team if not more.
    Mancilla has been a revelation the last 2-3 years, and this summer he was close to joining Malaga (Spain).

4. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

That was eons ago.....and so you went on to lose in the return fixture. Did a bit of research and found out that Pezzarossi FLOPPED in the English Premiership when he played there. :D

5. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

I saw the goals courtesy of the clip you sent. The video quality was poor, but I saw the 1st goal .....it was well taken shot. send another clip of that game...cuz I never saw it as I was in Jamaica on vacation then.

6. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

What happened when he went to Newcastle? :eek:

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

He trialed with Bolton, if anything. Didn't play for Newcastle.

8. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

There's some article that said he was once signed by Newcastle.

9. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Read an article that listed him as a bolton player in 03-04 season....so what happened there?

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

I follow the Prem extremely close, as closely as anyone.
    I know what goes on when it comes to Latin American players, and I would've known had he signed.
    I know he trialed with them, as Ruiz did with Wolves.

11. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US

heres a pic of pezzarossi while in his brief time with bolton.
    [​IMG]

12. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

well you missed that one

13. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

Maybe since he has a Italian passport it might of slipped your latins in the EPl Radar :confused:

14. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US

is easy for pezzarossi to play in europe , because with an italian passport you dont need to get a work permit. Pezzarossi was with Bolton around 6 months.

15. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

And quite rightly FLOPPED :D

16. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

where is he now? :rolleyes:

17. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

Correct. i was jus joking with metrochile and his abilty to know all the latin american players in england with Bolton if pezzarossi was there for 6 months i wouldn't call it a "trial" . I don't think he played for Newcastle he might of trialed there but not sign

18. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US

i dont think teams take pictures of unsigned players. :rolleyes:

19. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA

I remember when Pezzarossi was with Bolton. He definitely signed with them, but I am almost certain he never played with the first team. This reputable site has no appearances for him:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=30324

From what I've seen of him (WC qualifiers mostly), I have always thought he had the ability to play in Europe. Perhaps it was difficult adapting to the English culture - I know there were a pair Hondurans at Coventy City earlier (including the Fire's own Ivan Guerrero http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=23022) that really struggled with the English culture, food, etc, and didn't stay long. Even some US players have struggled to adapt to the culture in England (e.g., Bobby Convey who is just now settled after 1 year).

20. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US

i agree about players adapting to english culture , is very difficult specially for latin american players to adapt to the style of play and culture. ;) , thank you for sharing your information with us.

21. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Have you ever thought that maybe he was not of premiership quality. The game in England is played at a pace 10 times faster than in the MLS. Whether he had problems adapting,(which is very possible) its strange than no other english team went in for him?

Now we know that some south american players struggle in England, but so does Eastern European players as well.

The premiership is fast and very physically....you cannot be a ********** in England :)

22. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA

Yes, the style of play in England is much different than in the Americas. Yet, there could be a number of reasons why he didn't stay in England. There are players who flourish under certain managers and tactics but fail utterly under others. Take for example a player like Ricardo Fuller. He was a complete failure at Portsmouth last season after two star seasons at Preston. I don't think Fuller's skill dropped off that greatly last season or that he was not "premiership caliber". Rather, it seemed to be a case of the managers (Redknapp and Zajec) not playing a style that suited him.

23. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Well taken point there....but players have to try and adapt better. For example when Dwight Yorke was first signed by Aston Villa he played as a midfielder under Ron Atkinson, but when Brian Little became Villa's manager he was played as an out and out striker and excelled. Ofcourse he then moved to Man U and we all know what success he had there.

Nevertheless, my point is these players have to learn to adapt when they go to Europe, some don't give it a fair chance at all.

I read something last season where Antonio Reyes Arsenal's young striker was complaining about being homesick and the weather in England.

24. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Another point that wasn't mentioned in Fuller's case was the difference between the Championship League and the Premiership in England. Again defences are much better in the Premiership and will not give strikers much room to turn and get their shot in. You have to be creative as an out and out striker in the premiership as opposed to the championship league. The pace of the premiership is absolutely unbelievable and I swear the keepers got big feet ;)

25. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Well I guess so; my apologies for that.
    It's partially not my fault since he never played, but once again my apologies.