Dutch Stadiums Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by FCGrunn, Feb 17, 2008.

1. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Will Groningen leave the Euroborg for a new stadium? What's the Arke going to be like? Will Amsterdam build a 90,000 seater? (And, if so, what's going to happen to the ArenA?) Will the Abe Lenstra be expanded to 40,000? What about the Philips Stadium? Etc. Etc. Etc.

[​IMG]

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    90,000 seats is way too big for Ajax. The 90,000 seater could be used for the national team only and for hosting the World Cup. Ajax should stay at the Arena.

3. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    agreed.. its too big for ajax.. it seems the struggle to fill the arena.. id prefer to spend the money on the squad and development of youth than another stadium we dont need.

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's a battle for prestige between the Rotterdam and Amsterdam municipalities. Rotterdam announced they were going to build a huge new stadium, a couple of days later Amsterdam said they were planning on an even bigger one. Idiots.

Once the full expansion plans are executed, Twente will have a capacity of 40,000. 's expanded. This Twente website keeps you updated on the plans and on how construction is progressing:

http://www.thuisbijfctwente.nl/

5. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    i dont think fword need a new stadium... they also need to perform better before they get one..

6. Kufibear

Kufibear New Member

May 7, 2007
    Holland
    it would be horrible if feyenoord left the prettiest stadium in holland
    but i think feyenoord has more chance of filling up a 80000 seat stadium than ajax has

there are plans for heerenveen to expand to 40000(and it would be sold out every game)
    that would bring them closer to the tradition top3,so i'd like that

7. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Whee! Would you look at the panorama shots! The expansion is going to look great, especially when capacity hits 40,000.

8. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    looks alot like another stadium i cud think of... both wont get filled lol lol :rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    All 24,000 season tickets for the first stage expansion for next season are already sold out and there's already 2,000 people on the waiting list. That guarantees sold out stadiums all season next season, because unlike Ajax fans, Twente fans want to see every single game. How many fans showed up for that one preliminary CL round Ajax played in the Arena again? And remind me, how many people live in Amsterdam again? It's what, ten times the population size of Enschede?

10. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    if you think that twente can carry on performing averagely and fill out a 40k stadium week in week out then your even more deluded than i originally thought

11. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    And that post proves you know even less about what Twente fans are all about than I thought. We supported our side even when we spend one season in the eerste divisie FFS.

And again, we've sold 24,000 season tickets. That's about 15% of the local population. What would that translate to in Amsterdam? Well?

13. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    And 70% of them aren't even from Amsterdam, so what are we talking about exactly Johan?

Unlike Enschede, Amsterdam has passed it's days as a backstreet where people live because they can't afford to get the hell out.

But a 90.000 seater... Sounds like a plan almost as good as the Arena :rolleyes:

As much as I'd love for us to be in Twente's shoes in certain aspects, I am stuck with a shit club and a town full of ************ out-of-towners. The good old days are dead and buried here Johan.

Why do you insist on kicking a corpse?

PS. Amsterdam has about 6 times the amount of inhabitants that Enschede has.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    90,000? What are you on about?

I just find it more than a bit rich for an Ajax fan to question whether Twente can fill up its stadium. Considering that the Arena only ever fills up when you're playing PSV or Feyenoord.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I know all of that and my post wasn't directed at you; I in fact sympathise with the old style match-going Ajax fans and as I've told you before, I really liked De Meer. I'm just not going to put up with the crap that your 'fellow Ajax fan' is directing at me (I highly doubt that he's ever set foot inside any stadium anyway)

16. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It's too late now Johan. I'll have to go Jihad on you :p

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Don't mention the Jihad! (20 Twente fans are still on a stadium ban for singing that to your lot last season, thus in supporter logic proving that the KNVB is run by joden)

18. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    KNVB is run by assholes in general.

They're just more scared of us than they are of you ;)

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Sadly that's true. They're not as scared of you as they are of Feyenoord fans though. They get away with murder over there (literally).

20. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They'll get theirs before long. They have gotten theirs on a couple of occasions already.

Stuff has been happening lately, and I'm afraid things will be getting out of hand before long.

One could argue that the Dutch justice department has some minor guilt in that, as you imply.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I agree, and I seriously think it's influencing the refereeing at Feyenoord home games. They have the riot police ready and prepared in full force on the Van Brienenoordbrug at every home game these days so that they can jump into action quickly in case they lose. This isn't just at high risk games, it's to protect their own city against their own supporters. Funny how no-one in the Dutch media ever mentions this, even Derksen shits his pants for that lot.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Me too! When I had my post-doctoral in Utrecht in the 70s my fondest memories were of the Sunday train ride to my cousins in Amsterdam and off to see the Red & White!

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It was a great little stadium all right. These were the pre-bus-combi and pre-club card days as well.

24. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind that they built a new stadium; change is inevitable. I think they overreached a little when they built it. They could have built a nice, new stadium and kept the flavor of de Meer. Instead they went all "modern" and shit.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's the multi-functionality of the stadium that kills off the football atmosphere.