Dutch selection against Norway

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Oscar, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Goalies
    van der Sar
    Waterreus

Defenders
    Bouma
    Hofland
    Ooijer
    Frank de Boer
    Reiziger
    Ricksen

Midfield
    van Bommel
    Bosvelt
    van der Vaart
    Cocu
    Davids
    van der Meyde
    Zenden

Forwards
    van Hooijdonk
    Kluivert
    Hasselbaink
    Makaay
    van Nistelrooij

Nice. :D

My first team out of this group:
    ................Waterreus.......................
    Reiziger...Hofland....F. de Boer....Bouma
    vd Meyde....Davids...vd Vaart....Zenden
    ........Kluivert......van Nistelrooij...........

Zenden wouldn't be playing if Sikora was in the group...but that goes without saying.

2. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought Sikora was being named. Stupid that he's not. And where are van Bommel and Stam? I don't think they're injured and I'd defintely take van Bommel over Bosvelt and Stam over Ooijer.

3. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Van Bommel is on the list.
    Stam has a slight injury.

Maybe Sikora wasn't chosen because he just came back from an injury a few weeks ago, I don't know why else Advocaat would pick Zenden over him.

Overrated 'r he.

4. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    D'oh! Gotta work on my reading . . .

5. SlamD

SlamD New Member

Apr 20, 2002
    Holland
    Do you really think Sikora is by far better than Zenden? Zenden may not have made a big impact in England and Spain, but did Sikora impress you against PSV? I think Zenden was better than Sikora and Overmars lately in Oranje, although he wasn't great either...

Maybe Van Persie (sorry I'm a little biased I guess)?

6. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Zenden was excellent at E2K but IMO he's been hurt too much since to get a call-up right now. I like Sikora a lot and thinks he's better than Zenden. I like van Perise too but he's too green at this point. He needs to play more to see if he can earn a spot on the Oranje (the talent is clearly there but he needs to prove he deserves a call-up).

7. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't think he's far better than Zenden, but better than him he is. :D Man, it was a torture to see Zenden in the USA game.

I'd also like van Persie better on the left come the next EuroCup though, maybe he would have gotten a chance for this game if he hadn't just come back from an injury.

8. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, the USA game was the worst I've ever seen Zenden play. He pretty much gave the ball away every time he touched it (either by being stripped of it when he tried to beat a defender or by a terrible pass). Hopefully, he'll get fit and recover his Euro2K form.

9. astabo0ty

astabo0ty New Member

Mar 25, 2002
    South Florida
    does any1 know if this game will be on tv in the US? i have media one cable, dish network, and directv. hopefully it will be on 1 of those. and when will it be on?

10. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    van der Vaart won't take part in this game, he's got an injury........at this rate, little Raphael will never play for Holland. :D

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sorry, you're out o' luck:

http://www.soccertv.com/neth.cfm

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Zenden

Is now fully fit after a simply awefull injury riddled season last term.

He has had an absolute blinder of a pre-season and was instrumental in our opening day win at the Valley.
    Many had him as MOTM.

For my money, on his day, he is better than sikora....but then i'm a lil biast :)

13. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well that's good to hear. He's supposedly set to start up against Norway:

The lineup is: Edwin van der Sar, Fernando Ricksen, Frank de Boer, Michael Reiziger, Wilfred Bouma, Mark van Bommel, Patrick Kluivert, Philip Cocu, Andy van der Meyde, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Boudewijn Zenden .

Why aren't Hofland and Davids starting?

14. Frans

Frans New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    a better question might be, why are de Boer, Reiziger, Coco and Zenden starting?

This is a friendly! get some new blood in there!

15. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well that's true. But that goes to the iniital make-up of the squad.

16. It looks to me like Zenden is set for a good year. I got to see him play in the Chelsea/ManU game, where I think he played the whole 90 minutes. For the first half I thought he (and Chelsea) looked very good.

I have never seen Sikora play though. Where does he play?

17. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He plays for Ajax now after being at Vitesse for a few years. He's can play on either wing but I believe he's most comfortable on the left.

18. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree that some of these, especially de Boer shouldn't be in, but you can't just put new blood in for new blood's sake. This is a team that stumbled early in JK qualification and they need to be formulating a team that plays well together. That's why de Boer should be shipped off to another continent;). I would like to see van der Vaart in there, but as a substitute would be fine (unless the injury is true). As both a US fan and an Oranje fan, watching how the US brought their youth on board slowly was something that worked well and it would be smart to see something similiar with the Dutch team, especially considering how much more young talent they have at their disposal.