Dutch footballer of the year press classification 1979-1994

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PuckVanHeel, Nov 20, 2012.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Here the full list:
    https://www.voetbalstats.nl/scdebnedxi.php

More verified stats:

Consecutive games undefeated for national team:

The national team was between September 2008 and July 2010 for 25 games unbeaten (also if counting won shoot-outs as a loss).

This is one of the largest spells in Europe and the world, only behind Golden Spain, Argentina (31 games post-Maradona between 1991 and 1993), 1950s Hungary, Brazil and mid-1990s France (26 games).

The only player part of all 25 games was Dirk Kuijt (then Liverpool), being moved around the team..

Since Huntelaar didn't play the 2010 final he has an even larger unbeaten spell (32 games), but he was often just a substitute. With 8 goals he has behind Van Hooijdonk (10) but ahead of Van Nistelrooij (6) the most goals as substitute.

Goals as captain

Cruijff with 23, Van Persie with 15, Robben 14, Gullit and F. de Boer 11, R. Koeman 8.

Youngest players and goalscorer for national team

Jan van Breda Kolff in 1911 against Belgium, and scored (3-1 win). He was 17 years and 74 days old.

Since the war it is Matthijs de Ligt with 17 years and 225 days. He succeeded Gerald Vanenburg (18 years and 40 days).

https://www.voetbalstats.nl/jongstedebnedxi.php

Oldest ever players

Goalkeeper Sander Boschker was 39 years and 224 days old. He is at the same time also the oldest debutant ever.

https://www.voetbalstats.nl/oudstespelernedxi.php
    https://www.voetbalstats.nl/oudstedebnedxi.php

Oldest goalscorer

Abe Lenstra in 1959 when he was 38 years and 4 months old (2-2 vs Belgium).

The oldest since the 1950s is Ruud van Nistelrooij at 34 years and 8 months old, coming in as a substitute against Hungary (5-3 win for qualifiers, 29 march 2011).

Fastest red card ever

Wim Kieft in 1985 for the World Cup play-offs (video). He got it after four minutes in the 1st leg. Van Basten got a yellow card and was suspended for the 2nd leg.

Most hat-tricks

Bakhuys, Francken, Wilkes and Bosman have each three. Lagendaal, Van der Linden, Van Basten, Van Persie, Kluivert, Melis, Rensenbrink have each two.

https://www.voetbalstats.nl/topsnedxicgt3.php

Most goals against Netherlands

This remains Vivian Woodward with 13 goals. Since the end of the 1950s Uwe Seeler, Jan Koller and Cristiano Ronaldo are tied with 4 goals.

2. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Here for @Tom Stevens, @Ariaga II, @PDG1978, @peterhrt and @comme a brief section about the decline in results from 1927 onward (see Elo ranking). It is from a 1980 published book by a certain Ad van Emmenes who saw an incredible amount of national team games between 1909 and the early 1980s. The book is called: "Neerlands football glory - all interlands from 1905 to present day." It is actually also very interesting for impressions on other players and national teams.

(I translated it as good as I could)

"Previously I spelled out that the team of 1927 got past their high point. Test matches of Olympic teams, again against strong English professional teams, this time Tottenham Hotspur, brought mixed perspectives. The A-team for example lost without a chance to Heracles from Almelo, a strong B-team lost against Amsterdam with 2-5 against Tottenham Hotspur. [...] What we can observe is from now on occasional high points and strong performances - think of results and wins against the world championship winning teams Italy, West Germany, Brazil and honorable losses against the Austrian Wunderteam - were just as often, if not more often, interchanged with incredible lows.
    [...]
    It seems to be an eccentric combination for one chapter, but we wanted to get acknowledgement that during these Games [of 1928] the downturn, to which the Eleven fell prey, was already noticeable. We as reporters frequently mentioned that after the very good year 1927 the results became visibly worse, and the downward line continued after 1928 undaunted to the low point in 1930. [...]
    The causes? That is always hard to precisely say. There was a complex of causes. The temporarily not using of Dénis was an enormous weakening from the rearguard, more so because after his omission partner Van Kol had a questionable decline. They struggled with different places, continuously tried new names, of which only a few were adequate and therefore never came to a unity. More important was perhaps, that was missing in the education.
    We touch here the technical question in full breadth. Dénis was not only an excellent footballer and good captain, but possibly before the emergence of Cruijff also the international best possible to bring fractured individual people together within complex and dispersed surroundings, while combining it with strong understanding for technical matters of the football sport and capable of improving players (great profile on Denis here!).
    The Federation saw truthfully that there needed something to be done on the education to improve technical execution. The Olympic Games learned us that our country had stagnated on the question of technical content and tactical cohesion. One needs not to compare directly with the South American strongholds, because to say in confidentiality here: the involved South American players at the Olympics could hardly be seen as anything other than semi-amateurs - and thus also: semi-professionals. For months those were away from home, traveled the whole world, could continuously practice and practice, on ball technique and body control. However, also other countries did better. The Belgians demonstrated better football if we're self-depreciating, the Italians definitely too by the face of it - our country was only European middle class, remained through certain clever characteristics on their day dangerous for any team, but was purely in broad technical matters also behind a couple or handful European countries.
    The Technical Commission saw this, knew it before. The Dutch-Swiss mister Hirschmann had already devised (expensive) plans for extensive educations from bottom-up. Courses were set in motion for example for 'amateur club leaders' with input and feedback from the federation practice master [national team manager]. In 1928 it had finally come so far that a fixed trainer came employed by the NVB [later KNVB] and it looked obvious, that the excellent practice master of the last years, the Englishman Bob Glendenning, trainer of HFC [later KHFC, the oldest club of the country], was a candidate for the function. He came now exclusively employed by the Federation and enlarged as it were by the day his popularity with players, clubs and officials. Furthermore in Hirschmann his brain plans had matured for farther reaching courses, namely the education of trainers and coaches. In this period [the 1930s] plans originated for the creation of manuals for coaches, where none of them would be the only manual.
    All great plans thus, but.... work for the long road ahead and for after the war. Think just about: trainers had to be educated and those would then start with the building of youth players. Future music, which was promising for the technical and tactical faculties of later players, Faas Wilkes as a model practitioner here, and future reliable performances of the national team, but in the 1930s it was of no use."

Later on it is also mentioned in the 1930s they started with banning players (Bakhuys) or not using of players (Denis was a prelude). Furthermore, at 31 January 1931 the epic mistake was made to install a Choice Committee. This remained in force until 11 September 1957.

It is a great book.

Tom Stevens, peterhrt, Ariaga II and 2 others repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Brief article about this Jon (or John) Frederikstadt who started collecting all sorts of data early on (and assists since 1972) in the link below. His grandparents and uncles were of Swedish origin.

https://www.vpro.nl/lees/artikelen/2016/sportfeiten.html

"Well-known Dutch football statistician John Frederikstadt died in his hometown Bussum.

The Dutchman was a well-known statistician with an enormous track record in the Netherlands. Over the years, he has built up a huge archive in the field of football statistics. Statistics were an important source of information for many media. From 1977 to 1999 he was the most important source of information in the field of football for Studio Sport. He provided the sports program with all the information.

At the end of the 1998/1999 football season, he sold his entire company and archive to Infostrada, which kept track of the statistics from then on. Frederikstadt was 68 years old".
    https://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=812

"Long before computers were introduced, the NOS employed a man who kept all football statistics by hand. John Frederikstadt had a bookcase full of notebooks and binders with yellow cards, halftime, lineups, referees ... If you wanted to know when Twente and RKC last played 2-2, he looked it up for you. Today his work has been taken over by large agencies, which have several people at one football match. Frederikstadt could indulge, but perhaps also miss the romance and handicrafts. He died 10 years ago, aged 68."

4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I doubted about whether this should be in the 'Interesting XI' thread or here;

Found some more material.

Here a few interesting XIs about 'best Oranje XI ever' from may 2004. Chris Willemsen (2004), the best Oranje team ever

First one from the local cult manager and coach Frits Korbach.

Van Beveren; Suurbier, Israel, Laseroms, Krol; Neeskens, Van der Kuijlen, G. Mühren; Rep, Cruijff, Robben

"I have thought long and hard about this. To start with one has to be realistic to begin at 1954, when the professional football began. Everything from before cannot be taken fully serious. [...]. This are all guaranteed match and trophy winners."

Long time football commentator Frank Snoeks had

Van Beveren; Suurbier, Israel, Rijkaard, Krol; Neeskens, Van Hanegem; Kick Smit, Cruijff, Van Basten, Rensenbrink

"Where Bergkamp is? Home. Oranje plays sometimes also in other continents..."

Or the team to play "for your life": Van Beveren; Van Aerle, Van Tiggelen, Israel, Krol; Wouters, Neeskens, Van Hanegem; Wilkes, Cruijff, Van Basten

European Cup II and Super Cup winning manager Aad de Mos went for

Van Beveren; Wiersma, Van der Hart, Rijkaard, Krol; Neeskens, Van Hanegem; Cruijff, Wilkes; Van Basten, Rensenbrink

International referee Leo van der Kroft had

Van Beveren; Suurbier, Neeskens, Van der Hart, Krol; Gullit, Van Hanegem; Cruijff, Van Basten; Wilkes, De Harder.

"When I was at Inter, or later Valencia and Levante where he also played, everyone talked to me about the 'fantastic Wilkes'. I never had the privilege to officiate him, but I remember another match where he both featured. It was at the start of my career and I was the linesman. Faas played and actually only eye for him, all he did was pure class, incredible. I guess I made at least five flagging mistakes..."

The sympathetic PSV chairman and former Philips executive Harry van Raaij

Van Beveren; Wiersma, Rijkaard, Van der Hart, Krol; Gullit, Wilkes, Cruijff, Rensenbrink; Van Basten, Van der Kuijlen

And his Feyenoord colleague Van den Herik picked:

Graafland; Kerkum, Israel, Kraay, Veldhoen; Neeskens, Van Hanegem; Wilkes, Cruijff, Van Basten, Moulijn

"Of course I know Wilkes is not a right winger, but he does belong among the four best attackers ever."

Another referee, the nowadays opinionated referee Mario van der Ende who was one of the best of his day. He is from The Hague, an enormously over-represented area in terms of referees.

Van Breukelen; R. Koeman, Rijkaard, E. Koeman; Winter, Wouters; Gullit, Bergkamp, A. Mühren; Cruijff, Van Basten

"It's quite simple: my best eleven consists of players I officiated myself. And then I have also a few nice substitutes. They always say the strength of your team is determined by what you have on the bench. What do you think of my bench, on which are also only players I whistled myself: Van der Sar, Cocu, Numan, Frank de Boer, Davids, Jonk and Kieft. All elite level players, but not the easiest. They will also argue among themselves... Just a moment about the choice of Johan Cruijff in my team. I never whistled him competitively, but I did in the beginning of my career in a training game between Ajax 1 and Ajax 2 in 1982. What Cruijff showed in this game, then already 35 years old, is more than enough to place him in my all-time team. I take his complaints for granted, although in he appreciated it that our corps didn't give him preferential treatment."

The esteemed historian and journalist Mat Verkamman, who wrote a series of deeply researched tomes about the history of sport, went with

De Munck; Harry Denis, Koeman, F. de Boer; Neeskens, Van Hanegem; Wilkes, Cruijff; Gullit, Van Basten, Moulijn

The then 80 years old Faas Wilkes has this as the best Oranje team so far

De Munck; Suurbier, Van der Hart, Cocu, Veldhoen; Neeskens, Cruijff, Van der Vaart, Van Hanegem; Lenstra, Van Basten

"Cocu is a genuine all-round footballer and jack of all trades who has scored goals in a few of the biggest games, but can also play in defense very well."

Very honorable mentions for: Moulijn, Clavan, De Harder and Bergkamp

Long-time Belgian commentator Rik de Saedeleer:

Menzo; Suurbier, Laseroms, Krol; Neeskens, Seedorf, Van Hanegem, Davids; Gullit, Cruijff, Rensenbrink

Johnny Rep selected:

Van Beveren; Suurbier, Israel, Krol; Neeskens, Stam, Van Hanegem; Bergkamp, Cruijff, Rensenbrink; Van Basten

Manager and analist Hans Kraaij sr. picked:

De Munck; Jansen, Rijkaard, Koeman, Krol; Gullit, Neeskens, Van Hanegem; Wilkes, Cruijff, Van Basten

-------------------

In the next post I will make a count which ones were named most often by people active within the sport.

PDG1978 repped this.
  5. @PuckVanHeel Did you see the series of best Orange teams by several players choice in AD the last few weeks?

6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    No, can you share?

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Have you seen this?

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

First professional footballer

For a long time it was thought this was Beb Bakhuys (with his famous diving header, still called a 'Bakhuys goal'). He was banned by the FA as a result. Search this thread for the story and details.

The two relevant posts on Bakhuys his stature and career:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/d...ation-1979-1994.1978389/page-10#post-37132169
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/d...ation-1979-1994.1978389/page-13#post-37175097

However, in the early 00s it emerged goalkeeper Gerrit Keizer (2 caps) preceded him. After Herbert Chapman failed to sign the Austrian Rudi Hiden, he attracted Keizer to the club where Arsenal won their first ever championship.

"At that time, Keizer shuttled weekly between London and Amsterdam to play football in both cities. That was remarkable enough, although Charles Lungen of the Amsterdam AFC did that too in those years. What was especially striking was that Keizer was paid by Arsenal for a short time. However, this was not known to the KNVB at the time. Fortunately for the Amsterdammer. Otherwise he would have been irrevocably suspended for breaking the amateur rules."
    https://www.kentudezenog.nl/gerrit-keizer-1910-1980/

When Chapman turned instead to the Dutchman, the bureaucrats were outraged. But as Keizer was already in the country, and signed as an amateur, there was nothing they could do. However, the officals had their revenge. As a direct response to the Hiden and Keizer affairs, on 1 June 1931 the FA passed a rule effectively banning all foreigners, unless they had been in residence for two years, which remained in place until 1939.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=343662.html

There he was included in the selection as a professional football player, for a fee of six pounds a week. However, after intervention by the British labor minister, he became an unpaid amateur again. In August 1930, he made his debut under coach Herbert Chapman as the first Dutchman in Arsenal's first team, in a match against Blackpool. In total, he would defend Arsenal's goal in seventeen games in that season. The special thing is that in that period he not only played as goalkeeper for Arsenal, but also flew to the Netherlands every weekend to keep goal for Ajax on Sunday. That earned him the nickname the flying keep (and in England the Flying Dutchman).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrit_Keizer

But the story doesn't end here. The first professional was actually active in the United States, where both pros and amateurs played in the same league.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrit_Visser

So Gerrit Visser in the USA was actually the first professional, who got paid for kicking against a football. He was capped seven times and part of the team that reached the 4th place at the 1924 Olympics.

Tom Stevens repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    There is a top 100 from early may 1998 that Simon Kuper has often referred to ("author of a canonical book on the 100 best Dutch footballers ever"). Or: "Henk Spaan, who compiled an all-time "Top 100" of Dutch players, ranked him only twelfth."

Actually, I don't agree much with the ordering. The University of Groningen study from 2010-2011 (later updated again in 2019) is for example fairly close to the conclusions I reached myself.

But I have this top 100 booklet too and I'll post the names plus the descriptions. Note that this was before the World Cup and also before the UEFA Cup and Champions League finals (which was played in Amsterdam, and remains the last time it was played in Netherlands... frozen out...).

100. Hans van Breukelen (1956)

His low points are etched equally deep on the eye as his successes. I remember me from him a passed 35 meter shot in a semi final UEFA Cup, that fourteen years later appeared to have been bought by Anderlecht through a 'loan' to the referee. If Constant Vandenstock had known that the goalkeeper of Nottingham Forest didn't have his best day, he would still have been a Brussels dignitary.

99. Clarence Seedorf (1976)

A growth brilliant, whose big self confidence is in accordance with his considerable talent, but in the mind of critics not always matched by his performances. Suffers a bit from his own ego and winning mentality. Is a possible candidate for the top 20, provided that he - and his coaches - makes the virtue of subordination his own. See: Frank Rijkaard and Wim Jansen.

98. Peet Petersen (1941)

For one year the replacement of the injured Piet Keizer at Ajax and once in the national team: at 2 may 1963 played Netherlands against world champion Brazil, with Gylmar, Amarildo, Pele, Pepe and Gerson in its ranks and motivated to win. I listened under the blankets with a self-made crystal receiver on my ear. We won 1-0. I wasn't allowed to cheer. Peet Petersen deserves his place in the legend to make the winning goal one minute before time.

97. John van 't Schip (1963)

Not a grafter. With though a heedless technique and a formidable, in an angle of 45 degrees kicked cross. Made Branco of Genoa dizzy on the square meter. Played 41 interlands, of which the most notorious, at 24th june 1990 in Milan, was his best. Van 't Schip has feeling for that sort of irony. Born in Canada.

96. Rinus Bennaars (1931)

One of the stars of Feyenoord's European Cup history. The old Queen Wilhelmina died and Feyenoord had to play against Vasas Budapest. The good news was: we had a day off from school. The bad: Vasas-Feyenoord didn't come on television. Mourn. After two draws Bennaars made in the Antwerp play-off the winning goal. Feyenoord went through to play against Stade Reims of Kopa and Piantoni. We also won that and the semi final against Benfica was reached.

95. Humphrey Mijnals (1929)

The first black international. 'Supple' was the adjective often attached to his play. Three times he replaced the great Cor van der Hart in the national team. The last time he commanded his team to victory in and against Suriname (3-4). In that team there was also Erwin Sparendam and August Wooter, who could have played for Oranje but had the freedom to do otherwise.

94. Hans Eykenbroek (1940)

Supporting pillar of the second version of the 'Great Sparta'. Second to the forward line of Keizer, Cruijff, Groot, Swart, was the one of Sparta in those days the best club front line in domestic history. Kristensen, Klijnjan, Kowalik, Heyerman. Eykenbroek made it possible. Unfortunate to have been born ten years too early.

93. Fons van Wissen (1933)

Debut against Belgium in 1957. Thirty caps. Toiling half player with acquired technical faculties. Lost a contact lens during a competition match for PSV, resulting in a nice newspaper photograph with through the grass sneaking league players.

92. Adri van Tiggelen (1957)

Nail sharp in his tackles and uncompromising. Man who was the example for Berry van Aerle in his choice for profession as postman. Prototype of a footballer who can say: 'I extracted most out of my career'. The at first lightning fast marker carried himself to 56 interlands!

91. Dick van Dijk (1946)

Indescribable sympathy for him, the happy drinker. Had his usual spot at the bar of hotel La Colombe d'Or in St. Paul. Called nonchalant during the ordering of a whiskey 'Drs. Plageman' across his shoulder to the quiz question for the first doctorandus in professional football. Merits his place in a top 100 by scoring the opening goal in an European Cup final, not a small accolade. Knocked out a Cruijff-less Barcelona in the first round of the 1973-74 UEFA Cup.

90. Jo Bonfrère (1946)

In Nigeria he is Bonfrere Joe. Indelible upper dentition. Allowed to let cult figure Brokamp shine. Realized only later how good he was for MVV, a lack of sense for reality that is unjustly called modesty. Played exactly 333 matches for MVV.

89. Henk Schouten (1932)

Gifted wingmate of the young Coen Moulijn. I sometimes was him on the street: sometimes I was Puskas, sometimes Schouten. Made in season 1955-56 for Feyenoord nine goal against De Volewijkers (11-4). Played only two caps after his remark to a official, who reproached Schouten for not walking enough, that he 'should line-up a locomotive next time.'

88. Theo Laseroms (1940)

Could play football well, but discovered kicking everything that moves earns more money. The anecdote is that Jan Mulder complained during a match of Anderlecht-Feyenoord to Rinus Israel about Laseroms lack of nuance. Soon afterwards Jan was launched in the air and all television viewers at home could see it. Laseroms always warned Cruijff to avoid the penalty area that day. Johan understood what he meant.

87. Frits Flinkevleugel (1939)

Against him neither Keizer nor Moulijn had something to bring in. There is a DWS-Feyenoord in which Moulijn, to great annoyance of team mates and coach, watched in the first half at the height of the center line the grass. That was Coen too. This magnetism had Frits.

86. Wim Kieft (1962)

Has better numbers than folks realize, and was a superb provider for the striker playing alongside him. Scored eleven goals in 43 caps, among them the glorious, curled header against Ireland in 1988. Made as teenager 68 goals in three Ajax seasons. Played unfortunately for him always in the shadow of Van Basten. Is one of the few ex-pros who knows a whole array of trivia.

85. Reinier Kreyermaat (1935)

Played only two caps, which can be explained with a dramatic leg break. Played in October '61 against the Tottenham Hotspur of Bill Nicholson, with among them John White, Dave Mackay and the great Danny Blanchflower. Shot from 25 meters the ball in the upper corner. I cheered excessively and torn out of my pajama. It happened at the upper neighbors, the family Groenescheij.

84. Aron Winter (1966)

At Inter you can see why he belongs in the national team. Brings with his technical calm balance among a collection of gian egos. Winter was already in the squad in 1988 and thus has experienced five major tournaments. Will also play in five continental finals with his club, so far. Who equals that? The midfield, from right to left, has to consist of: Winter, Seedorf, Davids and Cocu. This will not happen. Why? Because we are Holland.

83. Aad Mansveld (1944)

Prototype citizen of The Hague. Expert bottle shooter from the crossbar (when the bar was square and not round). What you soon forget: he also played for Feyenoord. Had a very nice long kick but was in the end more symbol than footballer.

82. Jan Mulder (1945)

Born as a footballer. Quick, explosive, could shoot, awareness. Would have achieved far more with a better knee. Played an excellent game against a good Romania in 1970. Nice front line: Pahlplatz, Mulder, Cruijff, Keizer. Went as eighteen years old from WVV to Anderlecht. Was once Belgian topscorer: in 1967 he made 20 goals in 22 games. He picked Ajax as his club and not Feyenoord because Jaap van Praag fell asleep with Youri on his lap.

81. Frans Bouwmeester (1940)

Great talent. Debuted at his fifteenth at NAC. After Rijvers and Schouten he was the third wing-partner of Coen Moulijn. This left wing achieved on 9 december 1964 a high mark. In unfavorable torrential rain they played in the Olympic Stadium the later world champion England off the pitch. Bouwmeester could often only shine for half an hour, because of belly and beer. Moulijn made the 1-0 with his right foot, shot outside the box. I cheered with hesitation, blocked by my plastic poncho.

80. Jaap Stam (1972)

If it is up to Dennis Bergkamp, the club Arsenal will be joined by Jaap Stam. He believes it will result in winning four championships out of five. Stam was according to the perceptible Bergkamp in Rotterdam against Belgium the 'Man of the Match'. In one-vs-one duels Jaap is maybe not a Ferri, Gentile or Cannavaro. Is a wall but not cynical, and not allowed to be one. Is sometimes ran past, like he was at home against Kiev. On the attack he is though a lot better than your difensore Italiano classico. Calm and composed with the ball, betraying his physical appearance, can play it long. Can grow to just outside the top forty.

Gregoriak and Tom Stevens repped this.
  10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #487 PuckVanHeel, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings#Highest_average_ratings_since_1970

[​IMG]

79. Michel van de Korput (1956)

Who still knows him? Dino Baggio remembers him from Torino, I heard from Dino himself. Played for three years in the Serie A, where he wasn't among the best foreigners (see also: Krol, Peters) but also not among the bottom third. Was part of a generation players like Ophof, Boeve, Schoenaker. Then you don't win much. Would he play now, he would still be playing in the Oranje eleven. Was a typical Italian defender: very hard and technically adequate. Often he formed (Torino) the heart of the defense with Krol (Napoli). Wijnstekers and Hovenkamp were the full-backs. Defensively it stood as a home at the beginning of the eighties, if they played.

78. Cor Veldhoen (1939)

Left-back of Feyenoord. Played twenty European Cup games and 27 interlands. When Coen Moulijn had a happy mood, he waved with a left hand Cor to the front. He then sprinted 60 meters on the line and saw how Coen played the ball square to the laughing Israel. Also at Feyenoord was humor sometimes the character of the team.

77. Coen Dillen (1926)

What can we tell about Coen Dillen? Not much. Became topscorer during season 1956-57 with 43 goals. This record will stand forever. Was once in the middle of a real football row. Piet van der Kuil was asked by the choice committee to exegerrate an injury, so that Coen Dillen could get playing time for Netherlands-Belgium. Both Piet and Coen refused to co-operate with this 'unsportsmanlike stuff'.

76. Epi Drost (1945)

Great long distance shot. Brought many of his own goalkeepers to despair with strange actions in his own penalty area, which were often solved by Willem de Vries. Played 421 matches for Twente.

75. Dick Nanninga (1949)

Had a flowers shop. Belongs to this list because of a scored goal in the World Cup final, something which Cruijff, Platini and Maradona all cannot say. Also not Rensenbrink, Keizer, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Lenstra, Wilkes and Van Hanegem. Nanninga can say so. Was subbed in at WC '78 against West Germany and received after five minutes a red card. Laughing he left the field. It was indeed a laughable red card. Later he would say it was a case of mistaken identity.

74. Henk Wery (1943)

I saw him playing as left winger in the second team of DWS. Eighteen years old he was. Every free kick within fifty meters of the goal is for him. Never seen such fierce shot again, at this age. Why he wasn't in the first team and is on this list? On the left you had Dick Hollander and on the right Frans Geurtsen. Doesn't say that enough? About the insight of manager Lesley Talbot?

73. Edgar Davids (1973)

Is also called Edje. Should be in the starting line-up for the world championships football in France. Dennis Rodman was a role model for him; hopefully he replaces him by Jackie Robinson. A manager who trusts and respects him, is rewarded handsomely: with the fighting spirit of Neeskens, the technique of Zola and the selflessness of Wim Jansen. Ronald de Boer can pass and Bergkamp will score some, but Davids makes it possible.

72. Tsjeu La Ling (1959)

Had a section full of fans near the goal area at the right side of the Reynoldstribune. Apart from encouragements also the sweet cannabis smells rose in the air. If Ling was glued to the sideline, he became as stoned as a monkey. Because of that the unlikely feinting movements came about. And the inclination to signal the played out full-back, to move past him once again.

71. Mick Clavan (1929)

27 interlands, seven goals. Part of a legendary Hague inside trio: Clavan-Schuurman-Timmermans. According to Aad de Mos recently on the telephone 'a dream of a footballer, with a pass on the millimetre'. Received offers from Fiorentina and Nimes. He preferred the last club and was back home after a day. Is this the record for home sickness?

70. Edwin van der Sar (1970)

About a goalkeeper countries often claim he is the best in the world. Personally I think then about Gordon Banks, Lev Yashin or Christian Piot as best of the world. But Van der Sar has the possibility to be so. Will the national team, against all domestic expectations, actually deliver a performance to which the collective talent makes it compulsory, a Van der Sar in top shape could well be one of the buttresses behind the success. His blunder density is at any rate not as high as Arconada, Schmeichel or Dasaev.

11. :ROFLMAO:To realise I was in the stadium in those days:D

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    69. Berry van Aerle (1962)

Lives on as the part-time postman who thought back with emotion to his heydays in service of Marco van Basten. Was in the training camp of WC '90, where the atmosphere was precarious, called 'Pufke'. Wasn't a phenom with the ball on his feet, but who has Berry van Aerle as his friend, will in times of emergency not stand alone.

68. Jan Klaassens (1931)

Right-half of VVV and Feyenoord. Addicted to jus d'orange. Elastic band in his hair. Possessed, according to the legend of football humor, in Venlo such small shop that the ones who bought a cigar had to go outside to light them up. In the time football was a radio sport, Jan Klaassens belonged to the bigger stars. He was 57 times international without playing a major tournament.

67. Pummie Bergholtz (1939)

Outside right. Limburgish Feyenoorder who went to Anderlecht. Debuted in 1961 as MVV'er in the national team. At the opponent Hungary there was Grosics on goal, one of the last active Wembley heroes. Did Pummie realize this? Pummie was once so surprised by his own speed, and this is not an apocryphal story, he was stretchered off unconscious from the field after he was stopped by the fence.

66. Bennie Muller (1938)

Was actually always a sort of list pusher and prototypical representative of Mobile Amsterdam. Ran himself to hell for Ajax. Driven half player. Boundless energy. Shot and pass could be better, but played 42 interlands, selfless and full of character. Was I a smoker, then I would pick up my Caballero at Bennie Muller in the Haarlemmerstraat 96.

65. Tinus Bosselaar (1936)

Legendary Rotterdammer. Former trader in dogs and cats food under the credo: verse waar van Bosselaar. Purely ambidextrous forward player, inside or outside didn't matter. Was the engine of the Sparta that became national champion in 1959. Only seventeen caps, way too few. At the moment an art painter on two plastic hips.

64. Kees Kist (1952)

Inflammable striker, no pun intended. Topscorer of the great AZ. 372 matches, 211 goals. Was part of the symbiotic experiment Nygaard-Kist. Was also not bothered to promote the passes of Jan Peters, pats-boom, to thunderous goals. Played and scored in his final days for Paris Saint Germain and Mulhouse. 20 goals in 25 UEFA matches, scored at euro 1980 two times in three games.

63. Bennie Wijnstekers (1955)

One of the best members of the lost generation. Too small for the tablecloth, too big for the napkin. Played in the lee between the generation Cruijff and the generation Van Basten. Reliable full-back and mister Feyenoord. Nickname 'Vino' after rumors about a transfer to Italy. Was still the captain at the rebirth of the national team at 12 october 1983 in Dublin against Ireland.

62. Arie Haan (1948)

Pulled the gaps for Cruijff. Best known for long distance shots against Maier and Zoff. Didn't only kick the ball in the goal against Italy, but also the Italian murderer Benetti to the hospital. Had at Ajax his differences of opinion with Cruijff, at Anderlecht with Rensenbrink and at Standard with everyone. Who is a friend of Haan, runs the risk to stand alone when the need is high.

61. Theo Pahlplatz (1947)

Thirteen interlands, three goals. Most gifted attacker of Twente. Played for thirteen years in the first team. Allowed to let Jeuring score. Player to cherish. Had such transparent personality that he sometimes seemed to disappear in the soft mist. Thinking about his Twente opposite, I think about Eddie Achterberg. Noise against silence. Poetry against bulldog.

60. Peter Houtman (1957)

Indeed, Peter Houtman. Scored 223 goals in 387 matches, among them also seasons at Sparta and Groningen which suppresses the average. Made seven goals in eight caps. Debuted together with Marco van Basten against Iceland. Houtman scored, Van Basten did not. Worked briefly for Studio Sport television, but was sharper with his head than with his mouth.

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    [​IMG]

59. Willy van de Kerkhof (1951)

Wine expert. Vacuum cleaner on the football pitch. Favorite of Kees Rijvers, Van Hanegem and Cruijff. Experienced the biggest nightmare and biggest relief at 13 October 1976 against Northern Ireland. Played directly against George Best. That was the nightmare. Was at half-time substituted by brother René, the relief. Really better ball winners we haven't seen since.

58. Danny Blind (1961)

Experienced four final tournaments, played only in 1996. What Van Basten was for Kieft, was Ronald Koeman for Blind. Shares with Kieft also the knowledge for useless football facts. One of those players, although maybe not a super talent, had a great career thanks to useful tips and help by Cruijff. See also: Jan Wouters.

57. Roel Wiersma (1932)

It was a sunday in 1957. I was alone at home and listened to the radio. In the Praterstadion of Vienna the Oranje shirts were leading 2-0 at half-time against Austria. Qualification for the World Cup in Sweden was almost a fact. After half-time Austria started kicking a lot. Goalkeeper Eddy Pieters Graafland got hurt, maybe unintentionally, and an Austrian deliberately inflicted a brain concussion to Wiersma. Dienst was the name of this thug. We lost 3-2 and broke the Olympic record of crying. My father named them 'Nazis', and promised me a new leather ball.

56. Jan Poortvliet (1955)

Played a very good WC '78. Neutralized in the semi final of the UEFA Cup in 1978 Johan Cruijff. The public in Eindhoven sang the whole evening 'Cruijffie is a homosexual'. Cruijffie took revenge in the second leg where Poortvliet sought Cruijff, but did not find him. It was one of Cruijff his best games. Barcelona only won with 3-1, thanks to Jan van Beveren, who had also some old scores to settle.

55. Piet Schrijvers (1946)

Played in the second team of DWS when Jongbloed was in the first. In the second team there were more who were very good. Despite the supertalent Van Beveren, and despite the whim to let Jongbloed 'play football', Schrijvers achieved still 46 caps. Later in his career the high balls were not his strength any more, had to carry too much weight to the air. Yet only two goalkeepers are above him in this list.

54. Rinus Terlouw (1922)

Coppens-Terlouw, you always heard. Coppens-Terlouw were duels. Terlouw played, to be precise, five times against Belgian center forward Coppens, according to some the best Belgian player in history. Coppens scored five times against Terlouw, but was also forced to kick once in his own goal. That were real direct duels. Terlouw played 34 interlands.

53. Simon Tahamata (1956)

'Tahamata, Tahamata, he only leaves his name behind', I wrote when Simon, forced by a Maluku-phobia in the Ajax board, moved to Liege. There he would play his best football in a good league, made it to a few finals. His debut in the national team everyone remembers: in may 1979 against world champion Argentina he got again and again the better of defender Olguin. It was also one of the first starts by Diego Maradona, 0-0 was the scoreline.

52. Erwin Koeman (1961)

In the past many people said he was better than Ronald. Older he was. Great left foot, fine game insight, fanatical to the bone. Against West Germany often the fiercest player in the field. One blemish: complained at PSV Romario was 'lazy'. Indeed, and Ronaldo has no left foot. So what?

51. Gerald Vanenburg (1964)

In our local coffee room you had people who said Vanenburg was better than Rijkaard. He wasn't, although he had enormous talent. Until a year of eighteen, also Van Basten looked up at him in awe. His talent maybe only really blossomed in the famous semi final of 21 june 1988 in Hamburg. That was his best interland of the 42 he played.

50. Richard Witschge (1969)

Could always play along with the best players of a team. Whether they were Bergkamp, Winter or Wouters at Ajax; Stoichkov, Guardiola and Koeman at Barcelona; Dugarry, Zidane and Lizarazu at Bordeaux. And now again at Ajax with Ronald and Frank de Boer, and Michael Laudrup. Has thanks to his dedication and, despite his walking, intact staying technique, always and everywhere the respect of his team mates. That says more than the complaining by the average tribune customer.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    49. René van de Kerkhof (1951)

Our René, inextricably paired to our Willy. Broke through internationally in the World Cup final of '74, when he played an excellent second half as substitute. Reached 47 caps and scored 5 goals in it, exactly the same number as his brother Willy. Was fast and was part of a good PSV front line with Edström and Van der Kuylen. Once there were a handful Italian clubs who wanted him. That was, thank God for our René, cancelled by him.

48. Daan Schrijvers (1941)

Was one of the first big buys of the Great DWS. Came from NAC. Became in 1964 champion of the country, the last time a club without red on the shirt won the title [Sparta, AZ and Twente have all red in their kit]. Soon after signed by PSV. Played there seven years without one championship. Very classic central defender for the 4-2-4 system. One with the chest forward and a nice long pass. Not as good and dependable as Cor van der Hart or his DWS team-mate Rinus Israel, but made it to 22 caps.

47. Piet van der Kuil (1933)

Outside right. Forty caps and nine goals. Went after four years Ajax in 1959 to PSV. Was part of the team that won on 4 october 1959 with 9-1 to Belgium, a record score with Moulijn as impetus. The front line was almost at their strongest line-up: Van der Kuil, Wilkes, Van der Linden, Rijvers, Moulijn. Piet made, just as Wilkes, three goals. The quiz question for fanatics Danny Blind and Wim Kieft is of course: who scored for Belgium? It's not Goyvaerts, Hanon, Coppens or Jurion, but Delire. Three minutes before time.

46. Ruud Geels (1948)

One feat is to score five goals in one game. One 'substantial' feat is to score five for Ajax against Feyenoord, of which his second, a header, followed from one of the most impressive jumps in the history of native football. Geels had to head the ball down, floating in the air above the crossbar, to the upper corner. Scored goals wherever he went, including two in the final rounds for euro 1976. Maybe Feyenoord made a mistake to let this striker go to Go Ahead.

45. Theo de Jong (1947)

De Jong is the most common name to play in the national team. Of course I saw him playing for Blauw Wit. Was generational peer of Neeskens, Jansen and Van Hanegem. That costs a few caps. Had a good shot in the feet, as demonstrated at 17 september 1972 when De Jong scored two goals for Feyenoord against Ajax in a 2-0 win. Was perhaps the first modern central midfielder; is four years older than Neeskens. Played behind the Feyenoord striker, like Bosman behind Van Basten (and vice versa), and Bergkamp behind Petterson.

44. Sjaak Swart (1938)

The inescapable word for him is 'Mister Ajax'. So pushy and ambitious as him you don't see many. Could shoot, cross and head (at the second post). Low point in his career: the substitute on Wembley in the 1971 final. High points too many to mention: Liverpool in the fog, European Cup against Inter. Advisor of Rep, La Ling, Van 't Schip and Finidi, whether they wanted or not. Often not. Turns on 3 July 60 years old. Nobody can believe it and certainly not his current opponents in the amateur football.

43. Charlie Bosveld (1941)

His passport name is Henk. Footballer for the snob, with a career just as capricious as his considerable talent. Went from SC Enschede to Sparta, then to Vitesse, back to Sparta and back to Vitesse. Midfielder who scored goals: during his whole career almost one in two. Played only two interlands, really ridiculously low. Told to me in 'Tussen start and finish' he was addicted to drugs.

42. Wim Rijsbergen (1952)

Was during WC '74 a sort of alibi for Arie Haan. Haan could exist thanks to the hard, unyielding front stopper who could pass the ball well too. Played, strangely enough, only 28 interlands. Maybe to blame on injuries and a career out of sight at Bastia and New York Cosmos. Rijsbergen is a good example for the eternal reputation playing on a world championship football can give to you.

41. Wim Jonk (1966)

Doesn't need a plea and argumentation. Right foot decorated with the most sensitive adapters and sensors. Key piece behind winning the UEFA Cup with Inter and had already won one with Ajax. Very high efficiency when assists and goals are added up. But yet especially that perennial, whispering talk to the football.

40. Jan Klijnjan (1945)

About Jan Klijnjan I actually only remember I was such a fan of him. Went always to Sparta-Ajax for Kristensen-Klijnjan-Kowalik, that sort of stuff. And Kreuz maybe? At any rate with Bosveld and Heijerman. Great thunder had that Klijnjan in his feet. Large amount of technique too. Played eleven interlands. Went also playing somewhere in Northern France. Lens? Typically a player who had reached 40 caps if he had a connection to Ajax.

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

39. Frank de Boer (1970)

For Frank I have a soft spot, that will come next. He was once sitting at the hotel bar of Huis ter Duin drinking coffee. I went sitting next to him. 'Against you they also always say you look grumpy in your eyes', said Frank. We both laughed. About his left foot I can only say good things. Can also head well. Becomes probably record international and will also play the most UEFA games. Is now on 52 caps and is 27 years old.

38. Johnny Rep (1951)

Header against Juventus in the 1973 European Cup final. Elbow on the nose of Rivelino. Formidable match in '79 for St Etienne against the PSV of Rijvers (6-0). It was 3-0 in no time with Rep taking the lead (playing with the great Platini and Larios). An excellent and sometimes underappreciated player. No Oranje player scored more World Cup goals.

37. Hugo Hovenkamp (1950)

Low seat. Left back. Formerly midfielder. Debuted in the national team in the famous match on Wembley, when Jan Peters (NEC) scored two times. Netherlands played fantastic against Brooking, Francis, Bowles and Keegan. Yet we didn't become European champion. Not the fault of Hovenkamp because he wasn't there yet. Kicked in his next interland the Belgian friend Van Gool outside the lines. He was hard and absolutely not fair. Would eventually play 31 caps.

36. Henk Groot (1938)

Paired velvet technique to a fast shot and English aerial power. Scored at Ajax 25 times out of 25 penalties. Went to Feyenoord for a large fee and back again to Ajax. Became in 1969 fatally injured to his knee after a duel with the Polish great Deyna in his 39th interland. 283 matches, 195 goals. Brother of Cees.

35. Tonnie van der Linden (1932)

Center forward, very talented. Played too few interlands (24). Could not deal with the quirks and mood of Lenstra. Made a fitting point by robbing Abe on 15 june 1958 from his last chance for a national championship. Against SC Enschede he scored for DOS in the seventh minute of the third extra time the winning goal. DOS of Utrecht was champion. Van der Linden made 207 goals in 323 matches.

34. Arnold Mühren (1951)

Many say he was a better player than his Ballon d'Or listed brother. Gave the pass to Van Basten for the goal. Was a support pillar at midfield at EC '88. Peerless left foot. Smaller action radius on a later age. Was the first countryman to score in the English cup final, for Manchester United, one of the biggest supported clubs in the world back then. Played in UEFA Cup final for Twente. Won UEFA Cup with Ipswich Town. Won Cup Winners Cup with Ajax. European champion in 1988. How many players have so many cups for different teams as integral player?

33. Ronald de Boer (1970)

He is Ajax' best player. Only flaw: because of occasional speed problems he sometimes has to let a man go. For the rest no complaints. Fantastic technique. Can left, right and central on midfield. Also in front of behind Bergkamp. Tactical brain. Indispensable in the national team. Seedorf finds it a honor to work for him. Substantial appreciation from abroad and favorite of Guardiola. A real players player.

32. Frans de Munck (1922)

A hero. Played 31 interlands against the 47 of Pieters Graafland, but was a lot better. Nickname: the black panther. I remember a photograph of a saved penalty by him against Belgium away. De Munck was such goalkeeper who, parallel to the crossbar, floated to the upper corner. Ladies loved De Munck.

31. Willy Brokamp (1946)

The second best Limburg footballer ever. Brokamp scored six times and six interlands, which by the way doesn't matter to him a single thing. Then not and now not. Partner of Jo Bonfrere. Together they ripped apart many defenses. Debuted at the age of fourteen in the first team of Chevremont. Scored two goals. Was at Ajax a final nail in the coffin for Michels. Proprietor of cafe Aux Pays Bas at the Vrijthof.

30. Jan Peters (1954)

Not the one of Feyenoord. Jantje thus. Debuted as international after the WC '74. Central midfielder. Was sometimes plagued by his love for the square ball. Then gave as the weather bounce many deep balls in the next match. Exhausted left Kees Kist the stadium. Once sat on the ball to annoy referee Frans Derks. Outstanding player in the Serie A. Became legendary by two goals within eight minutes on Wembley, initiated by Johan, but both finished by him.

Gregoriak, Tom Stevens and PDG1978 repped this.
  16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    A few names in here - as said above this list has been sometimes cited by Kuper and Winner - who didn't make it to the VI top 50 in 2018 (with the exception of Van Heel, this is correct I think). Wouters, G. Mühren (unlike his brother, who was correctly in), Thijssen, Smit, Van Heel, De Harder and Suurbier were all not in that top 50.

29. Kees Rijvers (1926)

His first interland was the same as the one for Faas Wilkes, against Luxemburg just after the war. Origin of the so called 'golden inside trio' Wilkes-Lenstra-Rijvers that unfortunately only played 10 times together. It was six years after the debut of Lenstra, who played only his third cap. Rijvers we also know by the wing Rijvers-Moulijn and of the famous picture for the 'flooding match' that beat France in Paris. Was celebrated professional in France at a time they played very good football there.

28. Jan Wouters (1960)

Model for the 'type Wouters', with which approximately the type Davids is meant. Wouters, first discovered by Rijvers, then by Cruijff, was known for a fierce elbow, but is better etched on the retina while turning away from the opponent, while he gives a backheel behind his own standing leg. Searching for the all of a sudden open field. Godfather of the 'potato generation'.

27. Gerrie Mühren (1946)

Also a sort of Wouters, with less existential anger, but more technique and meters in the legs. Refused to go in 1974 to West Germany, one of the riddles in football history. There is a video where he casually telephones with a glass cola in one hand, and did his keepy-uppy while moving down from the staircase. Functional technique.

26. Cor van der Hart (1928)

Center half. Became champion of Netherlands with Ajax, back then a rarity for them, and champion of France with Lille (Reims was second with Appel and Kopa). Abroad they said he had the most beautiful kick of Europe. Frans de Munck practiced his best saves with backpasses by Van der Hart. Defeated on 14 march 1956 the world champion Germany with 2-1 in an away match.

25. Frans Thijssen (1952)

Born midfielder, and thus combined technique with insight. Played his football for NEC, Twente, Ipswich Town, Nottingham Forest, Fortuna Sittard, FC Groningen and hèhè Vitesse, where he had a nice Indian Summer of his career. Wouldn't live in Malmö now if chairman Karel Aalbers hadn't picked Beenhakker as current manager of Vitesse.

24. Kick Smit (1918)

Newsdealer in Haarlem. Passport name is actually Jaap. Made 26 goals in 29 interlands. The war snapped his career. Debuted in 1934 and played after 1945 only two interlands. Also scored in dramatic defeats: the 8-2 of Huddersfield and the 2-3 against Switzerland in Milan during the WC of '34. Member of the trio Vente-Bakhuys-Smit. Ended his career at HBC ('Wooden Leg Club') in Heemstede, where he played next to his uncle Jan.

23. Puck van Heel (1904)

Was for 41 years record international, until that famed match against Argentina in may 1979. There Ruud Krol came on 65 caps. Van Heel became in 1925 international as player of the second team of Feyenoord. There are seven ex-Feyenoord players in front of him. The first is next.

22. Wim Jansen (1946)

Of Hasil-Jansen-Van Hanegem. Water carrier with substance in head and legs. I saw him playing in the youth of Feyenoord during the Pentecost tournament of Blauw Wit, when that for one time was played at Sportpark Jan van Galenstraat. Cruijff and Hulshoff played for Ajax and John Radford for Arsenal (the second highest goalscorer of that club). That were the days. Without Jansen there wouldn't be Van Hanegem in his Feyenoord incarnation, I'm certain of that.

21. Bertus de Harder (1920)

Godly bald. Played from 1949 to 1954 for Girondins de Bordeaux. Was elected in 1953 player of the year in France, where the actual football was one of the best in Europe. According to Herman Kuiphof he was 'the Brazilian of the Schilderswijk'. Some say: as quick as Overmars, with better shot and an arsenal of feints. Was on the advice of the with the Nazis collaborating Karel Lotsy banned by VUC in 1944. The ban to play football lasted three years and was entirely unjust.

20. Wim Suurbier (1945)

The best man marker. Team-hierarchically speaking man markers stand low on the ladder. That is why the best in his kind, in my view, is only on place twenty. The greatest wingers of his time shivered at hearing the name of Suurbier. He rarely, maybe never, failed against his direct opponent. Personally I thought his direct contemporary Berti Vogts was overall better, although with the odd struggles against Dzajic and Keegan in prominent matches. Characteristically for Suurbier was the raised arm of a basketballer, after Wim had quartered and kicked a nasty opponent.

17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    [​IMG]

19. Coen Moulijn (1937)

Went often on the outside. And even though the right back knew it, Coen went outside still and reached whistling the backline. The cross was used by Kindvall or Van Hanegem. Here follows a typical Moulijn anecdote: Rinus Israel tackled him on the training. Coen promised payback on sunday in a full De Kuip. He started, Rinus Israel came with the long pass, but Coen was already stopped and made a throwaway gesture to the back. Israel was booed by the entire stadium.

18. Bep Bakhuys (1909)

Known from his header like Bakhuys (11 march 1934 Netherlands-Belgium 9-3; Vente 5x, Smit 2x, Bakhuys 2x). Played for ZAC, HBS and Metz. His stay in Indonesia from 1929 to 1934 limited his number of interlands considerably. This super center forward was 23 times international and made 28 goals. Wow!

17. Ronald Koeman (1963)

European champion. Winner of European Cups. Only in 1990 it went wrong, but then he simply wasn't healthy and fit. According to Guardiola was Koeman, despite Stoichkov, Romario and Bakero, the most important player of the best Barcelona in 40 years. What a football that was and what was that attacking play fitting as a glove to this push in libero, who missed the pace of Baresi or Blind, but whose goal ability was peerless. Eliminated England for WC '94 by taking Platt down and scoring from a free kick.

16. Willy van der Kuijlen (1946)

Won like all great players a European Cup (UEFA Cup of '78 against the Bastia of Rep and Larios, who was sent away at St Etienne because of amorous perils around Platini's wife) Van der Kuijlen talked with his feet, was a disaster for every interviewer. Van Beveren dragged him in a conflict with Cruijff and has therefore way too few interlands for a player of his level. Formed a fantastic duo with the also gifted Ralf Edstrom. I remember me a 2-4 in the Olympic Stadium. Ajax was totally outclassed. Willy is topscorer all-time with 311 goals in the Eredivisie.

15. Ruud Krol (1949)

Indeed, unlike others I find him better than Koeman, whose relative lack of pace presents him with a problem. Krol also reached two World Cup finals and Koeman didn't, although this doesn't say all. We see that further down at who is on place 10 in the list. Krol experienced in Naples a second remarkable period in his career, after Ajax. They named streets after him in Naples and Italy and he had between '80 and '84 his own weekly television programme. In Naples he became footballer of the year of the Serie A, and also in a later year 'best foreigner'. Ciro Ferrara learned the trade from him, Franco Baresi has always cited him as his example.

14. Jan van Beveren (1948)

Natural talent. Best goalkeeper we ever had. Clashed in 1975 for forever with Cruijff. It cost him an odd forty interlands and the proper recognition in the Netherlands for his exceptional qualities. Four years ago I made a documentary about WC '74. All interviewed German players said their hope for success was based on the weakness of the eleven: between the posts of the goal. Back then I was always pro Cruijff and thus anti Van Beveren. A mistake in this particular instance. With Van Beveren on goal we had won one of these three tournaments, maybe more.

Gregoriak, comme and Tom Stevens repped this.
  18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    13. Piet Keizer (1943)

Genial, capricious, golden left. Cross and assist for the opening goal on Wembley in '71 after a super scissor move. In the preceding matches before the European Cup final he had made four goals, among them wonderful ones against Atletico, Celtic and Basel. Not Cruijff but Keizer brought Ajax directly to the final against Panathinaikos. Was then the best left winger in the world, despite Riva, Rivelino and Francis Lee.

12. Dennis Bergkamp (1969)

Dennis is the only active footballer who can realistically reach the top five, and one of the last from before the chasm causing Bosman ruling, resulting in closure of many academies. Has he however his collection of wonderful moments behind him, he will never keep this twelfth position. Has undoubtedly played a major role in transforming Arsenal, is not easy to replace. Bergkamp in top shape is possibly not someone brings an entire world championship to his hand, but reaching the semi finals is made considerably easier. The ball sensitivity in his feet does you think of John McEnroe in his racket, and Tiger Woods in his club.

11. Willy Dullens (1945)

About who Cruijff rightly said that he, Johan, is technically just maybe inferior. Shares with Van Basten the tragedy of an unfulfilled career. Was in 1966, at the age of 21, footballer of the year with Cruijff, Keizer, Moulijn, Van der Kuijlen and Israel behind him. Scored in his first season 21 goals, as midfielder! Was on his way to come into the conversation for becoming the best footballer of his generation. At august 1966 he suffered in the match Vitesse-Sittardia a knee injury that ended his career. In the top 10 only two other players without an European Cup surface.

10. Rinus Israel (1942)

Best Dutch central defender in history (Rijkaard is regarded as midfielder). Rinus could do a lot: sprint, head, tackle, pass and shoot. The defense of Feyenoord was I think the only in Europe who, led by Rinus, was occasionally but habitually able to cancel Cruijff and Keizer at their peak. The way he in the 1970 EC final took matters in his own hands and headed in the 1-1 himself says everything about his fortitude and mentality. The long ball assist for the 1-2 followed later. It was a summary and representative for his qualities. He and Van Hanegem could play boss for an entire field.

9. Ruud Gullit (1962)

Played in 1981 with Kieft and childhood friend Rijkaard, who he replaced, his first interland. Played then for Haarlem. Made in '87-'88 Milan almost on his own champion of the Serie A (in so far that's possible in football), stepping up in many of the games against rivals. Not on technique, but by his character, intuition and force, who made him drag opponents across the entire field and gasp for air. Played despite a heavy knee injury in 1989 the qualifier for Netherlands against Finland, and made sure of victory, for a coach who had heavily insulted him (Libregts). Left in 1994 shortly before the World Cup the training camp of the national team, and is since then explaining he was right.

8. Johan Neeskens (1951)

RCH, Ajax, Barcelona, New York Cosmos, Switzerland, Groningen, Switzerland. Embodiment of the word endurance and was yet a good footballer too. Could be injured beautifully. When Neeskens moved up again after an injury treatment, he received applause, so worried they had been about his apparent battle against quitting. Took during WC '74 the penalties. In the final he took half the penalty spot with him, but the ball went in. Played his last two interlands as darling of Rijvers, who let him eat many kidney beans and brawn, and also let him pray for God. Yet we didn't reach WC '82 because Krol looked to Van Breukelen, and Van Breukelen to Krol, while Platini shot in the quite savable free kick.

7. Rob Rensenbrink (1947)

The human snake. Could take on, pass, assist regularly, and score goals in new innovative ways. The opponents at least didn't understand. Made in Belgium 173 goals in eleven seasons. For a winger or forward a good score, with which he is easily in the top 10 of all-time topscorers in Belgium. Forty goals in 66 continental matches, among them a number against the best teams in the world. Made in '74 often place for the to the left dodging Cruijff, and vice versa. In 1978 he was Netherlands best player, only a few centimeters short of the golden ball and topscorer title. Maybe this was not only bad. Imagine they had become world champion in '78, how would the initiators Cruijff and Michels process that?

Gregoriak and comme repped this.
  19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    6. Frank Rijkaard (1962)

Most beautiful career of the entire domestic football. Won in 1987 the European Cup II with Ajax. In '88 european champion where he was maybe the best player this tournament (and again in '92). After this two European Cups with Milan, creating goals in both. Came back to Ajax and won the Champions League against his former club. When Kluivert scored against Milan, Rijkaard walked just behind him, searching for the goal. Rijkaard sacrificed his immense talent to the result. Some understood immediately, others needed more time. His body was shelter to the most elegant feints and tricks.

5. Faas Wilkes (1923)

Classical two footed dribble. Around the fifties often abroad seen as the best inside forward of Europe. Formed at the end of the 1940s at Inter a magical wing on the left with Nyers, who was smuggled to the West without passport by Helenio Herrera, as described in the book about Faas by Martin W. Duyzings. Wilkes will soon experience that his interlandrecord of 35 goals (in 38 matches) gets broken by Dennis Bergkamp. He was the only international who drank a glass of red wine at dinner, because he had played in Italy. Played at many clubs in Europe, but despite often coming close he never became champion. One of his best interlands was against Belgium in 1959: 9-1 (Wilkes 3x).

4. Willem van Hanegem (1944)

Debuted as player of Xerxes/DHC only in 1968 in the national team, together with Rob Rensenbrink. Van Hanegem was 24 years old and would play 52 more caps. He could defend and attack, he could head well, made slidings and in his left foot one of the best and fastest passes of the world was located. Was very hard for a player with this technique. There are foreign journalists who claim he was in 1974 the best player of the tournament.

3. Abe Lenstra (1920)

Whoever you speak that saw Lenstra play in his best years, they get a dreamy gaze in their eyes, shake their head, shrug the shoulders and say: 'Abe could do all'. So he was for example champion 'kortebaanschaatsen', but that pace was on the pitch only rarely perceived. Abe was the eternal companion of the word self-willed. Once he sat, on invitation of OGC Nice, in his wheelchair at the side of the pitch. At half-time the speaker asked whether someone could carry away the man who didn't stop with complaining to the referee. There went Dick, monsieur Dick, crack of the Cote d'Azur, downstairs and pushed the grouching Abe outside the stadium, into the summer night.

2. Marco van Basten (1964)

How is it possible that Netherlands has within forty years five attackers like Bergkamp and Van Basten their intrinsic class? Countries as Germany, Italy and Spain struggle to show the double amount in a whole century. We will never know whether Van Basten was on his way to a shared first place as best footballer in history. Neither it is fruitless to sigh: what if Van Basten was there in 1994 at the peak age of 29? He had kept Gullit in check, would have motivated Rijkaard in the soaring heat, would veto the Advocaat move to let Wouters play against Bebeto. Unfortunately Netherlands can only play as world champion for one match.

1. Johan Cruijff (1947)

The best footballer all-time, and I think more than thirty percent cannot protest against this. One of the best the world saw (only Pelé was one level better). Dominated his teams, dominated his generation, dominated his coaches. Here fits the old Toon Hermans citation: 'Vincent zag het koren, Einstein het getal, Zeppelin de Zeppelin en Johan zag de bal' (Vincent saw the corn, Einstein the number, Zeppelin the Zeppelin and Johan saw the ball).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll make a comparison later. The most notable omission is Harry Denis, born 1896. Instead he includes Van Heel, born 1904, who is the oldest player in this list (Van Heel in turn was omitted in the VI top 50 list of 2018). I think both fit in a top 100 - apparently Van Heel had a reputation as elite passer in the Croatia/Yugoslavia of the 1950s.

Then there are also a few European Cup/UEFA Cup winning players and top 10 Ballon d'Or finishers as Overmars and Hulshoff who don't make it to the top 100 here, who are by the way both mentioned in the write-ups of others. Or much less known ones as Ernie Brandts, Van Kraaij who made it to all-star teams of the tournament or season.

A top 10 left-footed players were given and there is a small difference in the sense that Davids is upgraded here (april/may 1998)
    1. Van Hanegem; 2. Rensenbrink; 3. Dullens; 4. Keizer; 5. Van der Kuijlen; 6. Moulijn; 7. De Harder; 8. Davids; 9. A. Mühren; 10. Tahamata

The introduction to this book:

"Why takes Hans van Breukelen the last place of a top 100 all-time and Oeki Hoekema does not? Initially Oeki was on place 100, the loser who is at the same time a winner: he 'beats' after all the thousands without a name.
    Later on I realized Van Breukelen is the born eye catcher for this position. He stopped penalties in European Cup and national team finals, but is also the man who stared at a by a grass-poll deflected ball. A silliness comparable to Van der Duim his bird droppings. A stripe went through the name of Oeki Hoekema.
    Are consequent criteria used by the compiler of the list? No. Is it already impossible to compare the poised winner Clarence Seedorf with Jan Notermans, the question 'who is better, Cor Veldhoen or Frans de Munck' is entirely unable to be answered. Veldhoen couldn't be a goalkeeper and De Munck had no sliding.
    Statistical considerations played a limited role. Arie Haan has won many more cups than Wim van Hanegem (only a few players in history compare). Yet the answer who of these two half players cannot tie the laces of the other doesn't need to be foretold.
    Over-representation of footballers from the second half of the twentieth century is obvious: without disrespecting previous results and wins, the professional football started in 1954. After that the level went up. At the emergence of the complete professionalism, somewhere in the mid 1960s, the Dutch players became even better. Who trains twice a day, can do with less born talent than he who practices three times a week.
    Sometimes a statistic points you to a direction. Most among us will never have seen moving images of Kick Smit or Beb Bakhuys. The first scored 26 goals in 29 interlands, the second scored 28 times in 23 interlands. This had to be capable players.
    When there was doubt - and also at the lack of - the memory and preferences of the compiler was decisive. There is thus subjectivity, making room for discussion the logical result.
    Probably the places 91 to 100 are reason for talk, when I add that outside of Oeki Hoekema also Kees Kuys, Jan Jongbloed, Sonny Silooy, Ronald Spelbos, Hans Kraay, Klaas Nuninga, Adrie van Kraaij, Huub Stevens, Michel Valke, Pier Tol, Hans Venneker and Wiel Teeuwen didn't make the top 100 and Jo Bonfrère did."

Gregoriak, comme, msioux75 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Hi mate,

Lenstra was a left footed?

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    His preferred position was undeniably the inside-left position, but he was against his wish often used at other places (resulting in him dropping out etcetera, him demanding to be used as inside left player).

This very, very reputable source says he was ambidextrous. "Abe Lenstra has been one of the best footballers the Netherlands has had. His playing style was characterized by a formidable game insight and a surplus of technique: he could practically shoot 'out of position' [from standstill] and was left-legged and right-legged. Critical tongues accused him of being lazy on occasion - indeed he could be completely 'invisible' in a match for quite some time - but Lenstra used his powers sparingly and didn't want to waste energy: 'Another lugged, I let the ball do the work '"

The article naturally misses some of his most notable matches - which one of his 700+ goals to pick out, the ones against the world champions? - but if they say this then the chance is 95% they're right. This is a educational and scientific reference. I see video game simulations have him down as ambidextrous too (with, if applicable, a slight tendency for the right).

If I'm forced to make a choice myself, I'd say he is right footed (to be fair there are also videos where he uses his left well). Often it was the case a left footed player got immediately highlighted as such in the media, if he was one.

Today a very good 50 minutes video from 1975 on Wilkes was uploaded I saw, with commentary by Lenstra as well. I watched ten minutes so far and it has some terrific insight and info, on the usage of the attacking center half and suchlike, the quality of England (1930s, 1940s vs 1970s). I've said it before but to me the balance and technique of him is immediately visible, more so than Lenstra if I'm critical.

I'll translate some of the bits in this later on. There is right at the beginning (1:46) a Van Hanegem remark that "Wilkes is a type of player that Cruijff is now. I find personally Cruijff a little bit better yet, but that sort of footballer it was. What Johan did three years ago, too, that he let fall four or five opponents to all sides." I presume he means something like this at 7:20 (Liverpool 1980s), or 23:40 in the Wilkes video against Karl Rappan his Switzerland vs the goalkeeper.

msioux75 repped this.
  22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The full Spaan list (april/may 1998)

100. Hans van Breukelen (1956)
    99. Clarence Seedorf (1976)
    98. Peet Petersen (1941)
    97. John van 't Schip (1963)
    96. Rinus Bennaars (1931)
    95. Humphrey Mijnals (1929)
    94. Hans Eykenbroek (1940)
    93. Fons van Wissen (1933)
    92. Adri van Tiggelen (1957)
    91. Dick van Dijk (1946)
    90. Jo Bonfrère (1946)
    89. Henk Schouten (1932)
    88. Theo Laseroms (1940)
    87. Frits Flinkevleugel (1939)
    86. Wim Kieft (1962)
    85. Reinier Kreyermaat (1935)
    84. Aron Winter (1966)
    83. Aad Mansveld (1944)
    82. Jan Mulder (1945)
    81. Frans Bouwmeester (1940)
    80. Jaap Stam (1972)
    79. Michel van de Korput (1956)
    78. Cor Veldhoen (1939)
    77. Coen Dillen (1926)
    76. Epi Drost (1945)
    75. Dick Nanninga (1949)
    74. Henk Wery (1943)
    73. Edgar Davids (1973)
    72. Tsjeu La Ling (1959)
    71. Mick Clavan (1929)
    70. Edwin van der Sar (1970)
    69. Berry van Aerle (1962)
    68. Jan Klaassens (1931)
    67. Pummie Bergholtz (1939)
    66. Bennie Muller (1938)
    65. Tinus Bosselaar (1936)
    64. Kees Kist (1952)
    63. Bennie Wijnstekers (1955)
    62. Arie Haan (1948)
    61. Theo Pahlplatz (1947)
    60. Peter Houtman (1957)
    59. Willy van de Kerkhof (1951)
    58. Danny Blind (1961)
    57. Roel Wiersma (1932)
    56. Jan Poortvliet (1955)
    55. Piet Schrijvers (1946)
    54. Rinus Terlouw (1922)
    53. Simon Tahamata (1956)
    52. Erwin Koeman (1961)
    51. Gerald Vanenburg (1964)
    50. Richard Witschge (1969)
    49. René van de Kerkhof (1951)
    48. Daan Schrijvers (1941)
    47. Piet van der Kuil (1933)
    46. Ruud Geels (1948)
    45. Theo de Jong (1947)
    44. Sjaak Swart (1938)
    43. Charlie Bosveld (1941)
    42. Wim Rijsbergen (1952)
    41. Wim Jonk (1966)
    40. Jan Klijnjan (1945)
    39. Frank de Boer (1970)
    38. Johnny Rep (1951)
    37. Hugo Hovenkamp (1950)
    36. Henk Groot (1938)
    35. Tonnie van der Linden (1932)
    34. Arnold Mühren (1951)
    33. Ronald de Boer (1970)
    32. Frans de Munck (1922)
    31. Willy Brokamp (1946)
    30. Jan Peters (1954)
    29. Kees Rijvers (1926)
    28. Jan Wouters (1960)
    27. Gerrie Mühren (1946)
    26. Cor van der Hart (1928)
    25. Frans Thijssen (1952)
    24. Kick Smit (1918)
    23. Puck van Heel (1904)
    22. Wim Jansen (1946)
    21. Bertus de Harder (1920)
    20. Wim Suurbier (1945)
    19. Coen Moulijn (1937)
    18. Bep Bakhuys (1909)
    17. Ronald Koeman (1963)
    16. Willy van der Kuijlen (1946)
    15. Ruud Krol (1949)
    14. Jan van Beveren (1948)
    13. Piet Keizer (1943)
    12. Dennis Bergkamp (1969)
    11. Willy Dullens (1945)
    10. Rinus Israel (1942)
    9. Ruud Gullit (1962)
    8. Johan Neeskens (1951)
    7. Rob Rensenbrink (1947)
    6. Frank Rijkaard (1962)
    5. Faas Wilkes (1923)
    4. Willem van Hanegem (1944)
    3. Abe Lenstra (1920)
    2. Marco van Basten (1964)
    1. Johan Cruijff (1947)

The VI top 50 list, July 2018:

1 Johan Cruijff
    2 Marco van Basten
    3 Arjen Robben
    4 Ruud Gullit
    5 Willem van Hanegem
    6 Dennis Bergkamp
    7 Frank Rijkaard
    8 Wesley Sneijder
    9 Ronald Koeman
    10 Clarence Seedorf
    11 Rob Rensenbrink
    12 Robin van Persie
    13 Faas Wilkes
    14 Ruud van Nistelrooy
    15 Jaap Stam
    16 Piet Keizer
    17 Edwin van der Sar
    18 Johan Neeskens
    19 Willy van der Kuijlen
    20 Ruud Krol
    21 Patrick Kluivert
    22 Arie Haan
    23 Rafael van der Vaart
    24 Frank de Boer
    25 Ronald de Boer
    26 Edgar Davids
    27 Phillip Cocu
    28 Mark van Bommel
    29 Abe Lenstra
    30 Jan van Beveren
    31 Rinus Israel
    32 Bep Bakhuys
    33 Marc Overmars
    34 Johnny Rep
    35 Roy Makaay
    36 Cor van der Hart
    37 Sjaak Swart
    38 Giovanni van Bronckhorst
    39 Kees Rijvers
    40 Hans van Breukelen
    41 Wim Jansen
    42 Harry Dénis
    43 Frans de Munck
    44 Arnold Mühren
    45 Coen Moulijn
    46 Gerald Vanenburg
    47 Danny Blind
    48 Ruud Geels
    49 Huug de Groot
    50 Willy Brokamp

Their wider and less considered list with another 50 names (as of July 2018), it was not exactly placed in order:

Wim Suurbier
    Jan Wouters
    Dirk Kuijt
    Wim Jonk
    Gerrie Mühren
    Eddy Pieters Graafland
    René van de Kerkhof
    Frans Thijsen
    Aron Winter
    Maarten Stekelenburg
    Adri van Tiggelen
    Puck van Heel
    Pierre van Hooijdonk
    Ed de Goeij
    Klaas-Jan Huntelaar
    Bertus de Harder
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    Michael Reiziger
    Jan Klaassens
    Tscheu la Ling
    Willy Lippens
    André Roosenburg
    Henk Groot
    Wim Rijsbergen
    Cor van der Gijp
    Winston Bogarde
    Boudewijn Zenden
    Simon Tahamata
    Willy van de Kerkhof
    Humphrey Mijnals
    John Heitinga
    Tonny van der Linden
    Virgil van Dijk
    Bok de Korver
    Bram Appel
    John van 't Schip
    Aad Mansveld
    Erwin Koeman
    Ibrahim Afellay
    Dick van Dijk
    Barry Hulshoff
    Nigel de Jong
    Wim Kieft
    Willy Dullens
    Epy Drost
    Kick Smit
    Piet den Boer
    Theo Laseroms
    Coen Dillen
    John Metgod

Both lists have some arguable exclusions. The VI list excluded the Van de Kerkhof brothers. Both were included by Pelé in his FIFA 100 list. Me thinks Willy might have a place in the top 50. He's one of those few who was young enough in the early 1970s and then still around as senior member at the late 1980s (although I'd have A. Mühren higher and ofc he made the World Soccer cover at his retirement).

There are some surprising names in the wider list of VI (2018) but when thinking further it often makes more sense (Huntelaar has many goals in the Europa League and of course the national team; 'pes stats' rated his ball control with a 92 or 93).

I have also the (idiosyncratic) Jan Mulder one @peterhrt talked about, from 1999.

1. Johan Cruijff
    2. Marco van Basten
    3. Abe Lenstra
    4. Faas Wilkes
    5. Rob Rensenbrink
    6. Bep Bakhuys
    7. Ruud Gullit
    8. Piet Keizer
    9. Dennis Bergkamp
    10. Bertus de Harder
    11. Coen Moulijn
    12. Ronald Koeman
    13. Willy Dullens
    14. Wim van Hanegem
    15. Cor van der Hart
    16. Johan Neeskens
    17. Frank Rijkaard
    18. Ruud Krol
    19. Kees Rijvers
    20. Rinus Israel
    21. Willy van der Kuijlen
    22. Willy Brokamp
    23. Ronald de Boer
    24. Tonny van der Linden
    25. Ruud Geels
    26. Gerald Vanenburg
    27. Simon Tahamata
    28. Johnny Rep
    29. Frank de Boer
    30. Sjaak Swart
    31. Frans Bouwmeester
    32. Kick Smit
    33. Charly Bosveld
    34. Henk Groot
    35. Wim Suurbier
    36. Gerrie Mühren
    37. Arnold Mühren
    38. Wim Jansen
    39. Danny Blind
    40. Arie Haan
    41. Tsjeu la Ling
    42. Jan Peters
    43. Jan Wouters
    44. Rinus Terlouw
    45. Erwin Koeman
    46. Bennie Muller
    47. Edgar Davids
    48. Rob de Wit
    49. Coen Dillen
    50. Wim Kieft
    51. Henk Schouten
    52. Barry Hulshoff
    53. Clarence Seedorf
    54. Piet van der Kuil
    55. Willy van de Kerkhof
    56. Michael Mols
    57. Willy Lippens
    58. Piet Fransen
    59. Frans Thijsen
    60. Klaas Nuninga
    61. Dick Schoenaker
    62. Kees Kist
    63. Pier Tol
    64. Epi Drost
    65. John Metgod
    66. René van de Kerkhof
    67. Peter Houtman
    68. Nol Heijerman
    69. Rinus Bennaars
    70. René van der Gijp
    71. Bud Brocken
    72. Joop Schuman
    73. Henk Moddejonge jr.
    74. Ries van den Bogert
    75. Rinus Schaap
    76. Nico Rijnders
    77. Piet de Vries
    78. Mick Clavan
    79. Richard Witschge
    80. Piet van Reenen
    81. Joop Stoffelen
    82. Jo Bonfrere
    83. John van 't Schip
    84. Dick van Dijk
    85. Jan Klijnjan
    86. Cor van der Gijp
    87. Kick van der Vall
    88. Jaap Stam
    89. Wim Rijsbergen
    90. Pummy Bergholtz
    91. Henk Wery
    92. Reinier Kreyermaat
    93. Tinus Bosselaar
    94. Humphrey Mijnals
    95. Hans Kraaij sr.
    96. Aron Winter
    97. Patrick Kluivert
    98. Harry Lubse
    99. Rikkert Lacrois
    100. Koko Hoekstra

Interesting is also the Chris Willemsen survey of 2004, where he asked 100 native people (with a few BEL exceptions) for their all-time team. I have that too, and will investigate the full results (Bergkamp is in 20+ lists but will go to this later, see post #479 above).

1. Johan Cruijff 72 of the 100
    2. Marco van Basten and Wim van Hanegem 56
    4. Ruud Krol 53
    5. Johan Neeskens 48
    6. Jan van Beveren 40
    7. Ruud Gullit 35
    8. Frank Rijkaard 33
    9. Wim Suurbier 32
    10. Rinus Israël 26
    11. Faas Wilkes and Ronald Koeman 25

https://sport.infonu.nl/voetbal/148642-het-nederlands-voetbalelftal-van-de-eeuw.html

To be continued with a few more

Gregoriak, peterhrt and comme repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #500 PuckVanHeel, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    This was on potato fields (the first one) but it gives a glimpse of how he played, not at his very best but still: winning a few balls, playing it calm outside the boot, some nice shimmies, and scoring in the final too. I can imagine Pelé liked him enough to have him in.

Some of the respondents for the Willemsen questionnaire placed Neeskens as right-back, or central defender, since he played there too (for the national team). Krol his number of inclusions is also helped by people filling him both as full-back and central defender.

Cruijff (72/100) maybe brought down by the PSV fans and his occasional difference of opinion. On the other hand, a 'victim' like Hennes Weisweiler said short before his death: "Incidentally I think Cruijff is one of the greatest footballers in history. Comparable with a Pelé and Beckenbauer. Even more, because Cruijff could both lead a team and score goals. I have always conveyed that appreciation to him."

Let's recap however that 1999 team of the century (initiated by the KNVB itself), descriptions per player are in this same thread.

"The most famous of all is the "Orange of the Century" composed by the Netherlands' best footballer ever, Johan Cruijff. At the KNVB, the eleven chosen footballers are immortalized in a sculpture garden, together with the national coach of the century. A twelfth footballer has recently been added.
    [...]
    Goalkeepers: Van der Sar (Frans de Munck, Eddy Pieters Graafland, Jan van Beveren, Hans van Breukelen)
    Right back: Gullit (Roel Wiersma, Wim Suurbier, Sjaak Swart, Danny Blind)
    Central defender: Rijkaard (Cor van der Hart, Rinus Israël, Barry Hulshoff, Ruud Krol)
    Left Back: Krol (Kees Kuys, Cor Veldhoen, Adri van Tiggelen, Frank de Boer)
    Right half: Neeskens (Puck van Heel, Wim Jansen, Arie Haan, Jan Wouters)
    Left half: Van Hanegem (Jan Klaassens, Gerrie Mühren, Willy van der Kerkhof, Arnold Mühren)
    Right Winger: Van Basten (Bep Bakhuys, Johnny Rep, Ruud Gullit, Dennis Bergkamp)
    Right inside: Wilkes (Willy Dullens, Ronald Koeman, Frank Rijkaard, Gerald Vanenburg)
    Center forward: Cruijff (there was only 1 nominee for this position because Cruijff would be in the Orange of the Century anyway)
    Left inside: Lenstra (Kick Smit, Kees Rijvers, Henk Groot, Willy van der Kuijlen)
    Left Winger: Keizer (Bertus de Harder, Coen Moulijn, Rob Rensenbrink, John van 't Schip)
    [...]
    There would have been criticism of the nominees anyway. Especially since Cruijff had a preference for players with whom he had played together at Ajax. Nothing human is strange to Cruijff. But there was also admiration because he had left out years of friction and simply (and quite rightly) had chosen the PSV players Jan van Beveren and Willy van der Kuijlen.
    [...]
    To answer the last question of the introduction; what is the common denominator of the lists? In short, is the team that Cruijff composed in 1999 also a good reflection of other opinions? If we take the four lists as a starting point, we can conclude that Johan Cruijff and Marco van Basten appear in all lists. Johan Neeskens, Faas Wilkes, Frank Rijkaard and Ruud Gullit are missing from only one list. Of the players who appear twice, Ruud Krol, Abe Lenstra, Wim van Hanegem and Rob Rensenbrink are in the top 7 twice. With this we have the 10 field players "complete". The keepers Edwin van der Sar and Jan van Beveren all occur once. If you compare this with the 11 players of the "Orange of the Century", only Piet Keizer would lose his place in favor of Rob Rensenbrink. Final conclusion: "The Orange of the Century" is a good representation of century Dutch top football."

https://sport.infonu.nl/voetbal/148642-het-nederlands-voetbalelftal-van-de-eeuw.html

As noted in the other thread, Rensenbrink actually was in his mind when he gave possibles for an all-time team in 1993.

Sensible criticism came from the well informed journalist and historian Verkamman in 1999.

"In the team of the century, ten players are still alive. Only Abe Lenstra died. The legendary Frisian received a video tribute in the Arena.
    [...]
    What remains surprising in Cruijff's choice is that he apparently did go into the football before 1950. As a result, antique phenomena such as Bok de Korver, Mannes Francken, Dé Kessler, Just Göbel, Jan de Natris, Harry Dénis, Bertus Caldenhove, Kick Smit, Puck van Heel and Beb Bakhuys are not included by him.

Johan Cruijff, for example, could have read the standard work of engineer Ad van Emmenes, 'Dutch football glory, all international matches' for a better balance in his Top-11. Van Emmenes already saw his first international match (Netherlands-England 0-4) in 1909 and he was still in the stands in the eighties when the Dutch national team played.

'Neerlands Voetbal' has had six editions between 1949 and 1980. In the first edition, Van Emmenes indicated that he had already seen so many top players in about 150 international matches that he was barely able to point out the best eleven. Yet the 'Football Professor' ventured it. In line with his mild character, he appointed a 'first choice team', but all kinds of dropouts were comforted directly by drawing up a second, a third and a fourth 'choice-team'. Just like Cruijff has now done, Van Emmenes assumed the system that lasted for more than sixty years in this football century: the setup with two backs, a pivot, two side-halves and five attackers. After long deliberations, Van Emmenes came to his first 'choice-team': Just Göbel (Vitesse); Harry Dénis (HBS), Louis Otten (Quick The Hague); Bas Paauwe (Feijenoord), Bok de Korver (Sparta), Puck van Heel (Feijenoord); Law Adam (Grasshoppers / HVV), Faas Wilkes (Xerxes), Beb Bakhuys (HBS / ZAC), Kick Smit (Haarlem), Jan de Natris (Ajax, De Spartaan, Vitesse, Ajax).

In the end, Van Emmenes selected sixty top players in his four teams (44 players and also sixteen reserves). Of those sixty toppers between 1900 and 1949, Cruijff only honored Abe Lenstra and Faas Wilkes."

"Nice names, not of that, but Johan does not know his classics. All periods in football have their major players. Before the First World War, there were, for example, four: goalkeeper Just Göbel, spindle Bok de Korver, left inside Mannes Francken, left outside Dé Kessler. Not one of those four has even been nominated by Johan.

He also skipped the 1920s and 1930s for his first team. Johan's 'Team of the Century' is at most an 'Team of the last Half Century'. So, Johan, back to your study room and make a new team from Hundred Years of Dutch top football. Don't contradict and put everyone in their own place, because to use your own words: that's logical. Because I happen to know much more about this matter than you do, I will help you with five names per position:

Goalkeeper: Just Göbel, Piet Kraak, Frans de Munck, Jan van Beveren, Edwin van der Sar.

Right back: Harry Dénis, Mauk Weber, Roel Wiersma, Wim Suurbier, Danny Blind.

Pivot: Bok de Korver, Cor van der Hart, Rinus Israël, Frank Rijkaard, Ronald Koeman.

Left Back: Bertus Caldenhove, Kees Kuijs, Ruud Krol, Adri van Tiggelen, Frank de Boer.

Right half: Bas Paauwe, Johan Neeskens, Arie Haan, Jan Wouters, Ronald de Boer.

Left half: Puck van Heel, Arie de Vroet, Willem van Hanegem, Arnold Mühren, Edgar Davids.

Right Winger: Jan de Natris, Sjaak Swart, René van de Kerkhof, Ruud Gullit, Marc Overmars.

Right inside: Faas Wilkes, Rinus Schaap, Henk Groot (always useful for penalties!), Kees Rijvers, Wim Jansen.

Mid front: Beb Bakhuys, Wim Lagendaal, Johan Cruijff, Marco van Basten, Dennis Bergkamp.

Left inside: Mannes Francken, Kick Smit, Abe Lenstra, Tonny van der Linden, Phillip Cocu.

Left Winger: Dé Kessler, Bertus de Harder, Coen Moulijn, Piet Keizer, Rob Rensenbrink.

(I myself think of these eleven: Van Beveren; Dénis, Israel, Frank de Boer; Neeskens, Van Hanegem; Gullit, Wilkes, Cruijff, Lenstra, Rensenbrink. After 45 minutes you make way for Van Basten, Van Beveren is replaced by Göbel and at half-time you make up with Van der Kuijlen in the middle spot! Agreed?)"

Then a few years later, 31 march 2003 he came with this:

"In the fourth team, a famous left interior has been deleted, because what Rafael van der Vaart is already showing ... unbelievable!
    [...]
    (I will not say who played Van der Vaart from Orange-D, that is not nice for that boy.)

There it goes. After 98 years of international football I am out:

Netherlands 1

Frans de Munck; Harry Dénis, Ronald Koeman, Frank de Boer; Johan Neeskens, Wim van Hanegem; Ruud Gullit, Faas Wilkes, Marco van Basten, Johan Cruijff, Coen Moulijn.

Netherlands 2

Jan van Beveren; Berry van Aerle, Bok de Korver, Ruud Krol; Frank Rijkaard, Kick Smit; Jan de Natris, Patrick Kluivert, Beb Bakhuys, Abe Lenstra, Rob Rensenbrink.

Netherlands 3

Just Göbel; Wim Suurbier, Cor van der Hart, Bertus Caldenhove; Wim Jansen, Puck van Heel; Johnny Rep, Willy van der Kuylen, Ruud van Nistelrooij, Mannes Francken, Piet Keizer.

Netherlands 4

Edwin van der Sar; Mauk Weber, Rinus Israel, Arthur Numan; Arie Haan, Phillip Cocu; Dé Kessler, Dennis Bergkamp, Eddy de Neve, Rafael van der Vaart, Bertus de Harder.

The pain points

- Friday evening Jan Mulder was finally taken out of the fourth. As a child I had the privilege to watch Belgian television in the South of the Netherlands, so unlike most Dutch people, I know how good Mulder was at Anderlecht. But in the Netherlands, at Ajax, the knee was worn out and, moreover, Jan played too little in the Dutch national team. His replacement: Eddy de Neve. Eddy de Neve? In the very first international match, on 30 April 1905, he made all four of them in Antwerp, three of them in overtime. A tough performance, which I weigh heavily.

- The left winger. There are enthusiasts who swear by Piet Keizer. Phenomenon of course, as is Rob Rensenbrink. Robbie played two World Cup finals, Coen Moulijn didn't even play in a World Cup finals. But national coach and Romanian Elek Schwartz was right about one thing I think: Coen was better and smoother than Real Madrid's famous Gento.

- Abe in the second. Again: sorry Friesland, but I could not work it out with Marco van Basten and Johan Cruijff. Marco is simply the striker, Johan liked to move to the left, where Abe wanted to play. Abe as right inside was not an option, because the position of Faas Wilkes is undisputed for me.

Conclusion

Satisfied, the occasional coach determines that they are logical teams. Right legs on the right, left legs on the left, in which the left leg of the naturally right-footed Ruud Krol was so tightened by diligent training that he eventually gave crosses with that second leg, resulting in goal (Brazil '74)."

Of course I'm not saying he is the Final Word but he knows his stuff and is really good (his series of books on the history of football are outstanding volumes). He knows what Moulijn did against (soon) world champions England, and had from time to time also a reputation abroad (this was the season and year when Feyenoord reached the semi final of the European Cup, and for ex. Moulijn also starred in a 1-0 win against France, although the 31 years old Kopa was missing). He has even a qualified coaching degree IIRC without doing something with it.