Dutch cuisine

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by sonicdream, Sep 8, 2003.

1. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    No relation whatsover with Dutch cuisine but Indonesian food always comes up in a conversation when someone makes a reference to Dutch food.

Aside from that, I love Pea soup.

What are other Dutch (or similar) food everyone else enjoys ?

2. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If Surinamese food counts... roti.

Traditional Dutch food is yuckie yuckie.

But doppertjes en worteltjes or snijboontjes with a nice steak and gekookte aardappeltjes are nice too.

3. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    (Since we're all feeling a little "scholarly" on these Dutch forums lately...)

Roti is a word derived from India. It translates to bread in English.

gekookte aardappeltjes - some sort of potato dish?

4. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    Just boiled potato's, had it today and yesterday and the day before that :p
    Everyting with boiled potato's is a traditional dutch dinner.

Im beeing a real boring cook btw, but I like it and so does my girl... yes I admit I am the cook... damn that bloody emancipation!

But what have I cooked this week?
    Today potatoes with spinish (sp? you know that green stuff which makes you strong), with a boiled egg and a meatball.
    Yesterday: potatoes, doppertjes and worteltjes, and steak.
    Day before that: potatoes, and gream beans.
    Before that: pasta.

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i love roti n eat it all the time since my family is from the caribbean, we all consider it trini (trinidad and tobago) food tho, not surinamese.
    beef roti is the best :D

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That's very well possible.

You know what roti is? That sh!t is really good if it's made by someone who knows what he's doing.

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    roti...thin thin bread with TONS of layers and umm potato and maybe chic-peas ground up but not like hummus (not sure bout that 1 tho), then beef, goat, chicken, shrimp or goat. plus spices and ************.

8. cbsmith

cbsmith Member

Feb 21, 2001
    New Jersey
    I had dinner with a Dutch family in Bunnik once. We had this little plate of raw meats, and there was a hotplate type of thing in the middle in the table. We each cooked our meat on the hotplate and brought it to our plate when it was done. I don't know if this is a "traditional" Dutch dinner, but it was always a special night at their house. I have no idea what this was called. Ring any bells?

9. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That's called 'gourmetten' and is not traditional Dutch.

And that thin thin bread is not bread but a pancake made of a certain kind of big peas (kikker erwten in Dutch). Probably the best thing about the dish.

I was in Surinam last year and they have this place there called Roopram's. It's a small chain of kinda like fastfood restaurants. They had great roti.

They had a restaurant in rotterdam for a while but it's gone away quite fast I believe.

They should have tried Southeast A'dam. If it would taste as good as it did in Surinam they would have made a lot of money. And I would have had a lot of good roti. The ones I eat now are usually good too, but not as good as those.

10. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I know what roti look like/tastes like in Indian food but not the Surinamese kind. Gotta try it though.

As bland as boiled potato sounds, it's very hearthy and wholesome meal - and i like it a lot.

With boiled vegetables (no kidding) and a meat dish.

Although I enjoy all kinds of food, spicy and fancy, simple and bland. But I usually cook simple. (I'm *very* lazy when it comes to cooking.) So boiling is best and quick.

But the other truth is, that is the limit of my culinary skills !

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i am committing this entire thread to memory so when i get blazed on my first visit to amsterdam i know what to look for - i love boiled potatoes as much as anybody but i think i'll need some of this roti business goin' on (as long it's not goat)

12. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    For boiled potatoes I put together with some sort of gravy so it tastes better. And quite good.

I cook probably just once or twice a week at the most. Rest of the time I order take-out food or dine out with friends.
    And spending more money at the same time.
    But heck, I can make thousands of excuses not to cook at home...

13. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I meant to say Trini kind [​IMG]

14. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Maki some nasi (baked rice)... not from white rice but the one with the skin still on it.

Put some tauge in (those long white things).

Turn two eggs into scrambled ones.

Bake a big piece of chickenfilet in olive oil after you put a little bit of salt and a bit more pepper on it.

Boil some broccoli for a very,very, very short time.

Cut up the baked chicken.

Mix it all in together. Go easy on the rice.

A very healthy and tasty meal in about 15 - 20 minutes.

Cooking is great fun if you know what you like and know how to keep it a bit healthy.

15. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe this thread has gone on for almost a page and no one has mentioned pannekoeken (sp?). Had that sh!t all the time when I was in A-dam. Much like a crepe, but inexplicably better.

One of the folks I lived with in A-dam grew up in Holland and recreated her fave snack from childhood: bread with butter, topped with hagel met melk (kind of like chocolate sprinkles). Sounds nasty, tastes great. No idea if it's actually something Dutch people eat.

But I would agree that the best food there is ethnic. De Pijp (southern A-dam) had the best Surinamese food I found there; and there's a good Indonesian restaurant in Leidseplein, Bojo, that's a little touristy but high-quality and well-placed for going out afterward (it's right next to one of the biggest hash bars in town, de Rokerij).

16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    umm the majority of trini ppl are from india. its the same thing

and to AFCA, the big pea you are talkign about are chic peas aka gargonzola beans

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ummmm i'm pretty sure those are GARBANZO beans - gorgonzola is nasty cheese

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    poffertjes

Had some sort of Apple Bomb in a place in Utrecht - wicked good.

Herring - ate them in Schevengen (no where close to spelled right)

Grolsch beer

jeung cheese

That's what I remember.

19. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    um_chili

We used to eat that bread with chocolate sprinkles when I was kid (I grew up in Canada - Dutch father and French mother). It was great, haven't had it in years.

My dad also used to make outsmeiters (sp??) which was bread fried in a little butter with ham and a fried egg put on top. No idea if it was tradtional but it was really good.

20. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    uitsmeiter.

Doesn't have to be fried bread though.

21. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AFCA

Yeah, we didn't always fry the bread. I take it that that's pretty traditional Dutch?

22. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    What I miss:
    - nieuwe haring (raw herring, purchased from street vendors, and eaten on the spot)
    - gerookte paling (smoked eel)
    - saucijzenbroodje (roughly it's bread w/ spicy sausage)
    - kroketten! (can't even begin to describe this one)
    - frikandellen (ditto)
    - poffertjes and pannekoeken
    - Amsterdam has great Indonesian restaurants- loempias, nasi goreng, kroepoek, gebakken bananen and those pork skewers with peanut sauce.
    - boterham met bloedworst (sandwhich with some type of organ meat (sounds gross, but it's really pretty good)
    - tompoezen- pastry
    - anything with marzepijn (marzipan)
    - stroopwafels- a type of cookie with syrup
    - the local beers, especially bock beers (although to be truthful, Belgians make the world's best beer, but Dutch beer beats American watered-downs by a mile)

That's all I can think of for now. I'll be exceedingly hungry at work the rest of the day....

23. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Re: um_chili

Yes, that's a boterham with hagelslag. Usually the Dutch put butter on the bread in addition to the sprinkles- they used to come in two flavors- milk and pure chocolate. But over the years I think they've made a bunch more, including some fruit/chocolate flavors. There's also vlokken and muisjes.

That's another favorite:
    - beschuit met muisjes en roomboter (a type of crunchy biscuit with anise-flavored sprinkles and whipped butter).

24. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I never eat butter. Gross stuff.

You want the epitome of a Dutch snack?

Frikandel speciaal. That's a frikandel with mayonaise, ketchup and small pieces of onion.

It looks gross but it tastes great.

BTW frikandellen are made from the meat that's left over when the parts that are considered edible in 80% of the world are taken out.

I don't like kroketten though.

25. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Oh, that reminds me- french fries are traditionally eaten with mayonaise in Holland, not with ketchup. I always ask for a side of mayo with my fries in the States, and always get the odd look from the server...