Dutch champions will no longer get automatic Champions L. spot

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is how pathetic the eredivisie has become. You win the league and you will now have to go through CL qualifying like all the other shitty European leagues do:

http://www.ad.nl/champions-league-e...icientenlijst-heeft-flinke-gevolgen~a7585d14/

I guarantee you this will have serious consequences for the future of Oranje as well. Dont be surprised if it takes at least 10 to 20 years before we ever make a semifinal at Euro or World Cup again.

Fun times ahead :(

2. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Entirely deserved though

3. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The season after, things might look very different. The low scoring season of 12/13 will have dropped from the coefficient. Effectively only Belgium is punching above their weight compared to the Eredivisie.

4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    IIRC Greece would have overtaken Holland if Anderlecht hadn't beaten Olympiakos ... the refereeing in Greece was very suspect, laughable really ... Anderlecht getting horribly screwed over but in the end still managed to get the win. Oddly Belgian clubs have been spilling points, especially Anderlecht have failed to see out several games in the last few years, yet results are good ... doesn't really matter as we wouldn't overtake Portugal/Russia for extra spots and we have cemented our top 10 position (or 11 as CL winners usually qualify through their league) ... still our clubs should take the EL (and the domestic cup) more seriously.

If the Swiss and the Austrian clubs add a bit more consistency to their performances in Europe they'd present a threat to Holland as well ... Turks will be hard to catch but I'd expect the Czech Rep. to drop a few places ... 11th place will most likely be enough for a direct spot ... also, qualifiers will be easier without the clubs from the big leagues ... while for the EL the impact of the reform is minimal (when Holland drops down to 13th place): it's only the 3rd placed team that starts 1 round earlier ... and this usually means very soft opponents and easy points for the coefficient.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If the CL change goes through as drawn up it really doesn't matter. the chances of any of the smaller leagues ever getting a run in the CL is over and everyone needs to recognize this.

6. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I doubt many in the smaller leagues were still cherishing that illusion ... the consequences of the reform are limited, for now at least (a deep run in the CL will still be as unlikely as before) ... it's the next reform and the ones after that could introduce a closed superleague ... and no more scraps for the smalller leagues to fight over.

Unless Eredivisie clubs fail to qualify for an extended period the low coefficient shouldn't cause too much damage ... players will still stay/move to clubs when chances are fair that football at Europe's top tables is within reach ... when perception changes however, that's when you really run into trouble ... "dangerous" times ahead but with easier qualifiers the risk should be quite low.

I'd be interested to hear if this will reinvigorate the debate on structural solutions that have a real impact ... innovations like the BeNe League and the Atlantic League ... when you do nothing, the future looks bleak ... especially if other smaller leagues get there first. Also, the Eredivisie copying the Belgian Pro League (16 clubs + play-offs) won't help much ... just see what happens to Belgian sides in Europe once the play-offs begin (spilling even more points).

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I can't disagree with you. Still depressing though :(

8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only way we'll get a decent run in the CL is if we have another 1995 Ajax generation that comes out of the blue and matures very quickly before the club sells them

Orange14 repped this.
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It will be much harder than 1995 because of the huge money advantage of the top eight teams in Europe. They will continue to attract the best players and the only way an Ajax team could do this is through superior tactical management. van Gaal in the mid-1990s was arguably the best trainer in Europe and he had his team ready in both that season and the following one where they reached the finals. Peter Bosz is not the manager who could pull this off.

10. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I wouldn't write off that chance with the generation coming up. If they can hold onto Dolberg, bring up guys like Cerny, Nouri, van de Beek, Eiting, de Ligt, Riedewald, etc. and keep them together for a couple of years they could become a really strong team. They just have to have the right mentality and play together under the right coach.

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The good news is however that Dutch football cannot sink much lower than this....

.......unless of course it manages to sink a little lower

12. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    You dont do anything with a buch of young players, experience is proving that teams composed mainly by 24-35 years old players from the austrian, swiss, even Cyprus league...can do better or as good in europe than the young «talented» teams of Ajax and PSV.

Plus Ajax forms young players to sell them, not to keep them.

13. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I partially agree with Laurent75. I think that a minimum of stability is necessary for a group to shine in European competitions. If Ajax, for example, manages to keep the same group of players, we have chances to do something.The fundamental problem of Dutch football, in my humble opinion, is that we are disconnected from the realities of modern football. Our teams defend like amateurs (Az-Lyon), are predictable tactically and physically they do not put enough intensity in their game (the perfect example was Ajax-Red Bull, a few years ago). Until we correct that, we will continue to tumble. I'm sorry but while Nouri, Van de Beek and Bergwijn are struggling to find game time, players of the same age already shine at the highest level in France, Germany, Spain or Italy. In fact, our young players are already leaving with a deficit compared to their competitors.

Laurent75 repped this.
  14. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I wanted to talk about the game Az-Lyon...was a total joke. Az had more chances than Lyon and managed to take 4 goals from nothing. 0 tactic, looked like a friendly game.

That Lacazette goal where Wuytens couldnt intervene is a joke, we dont even see such bad defending in the poorest ligue 1 games.

There are some good defenders in Holland now, better than the previous generation, but I still have the feeling that there are too many averages ones too that can spoil a game with their mistakes.
    Viergever for example, just an average player. If he was born german I m not even sure he d be playing in the first division. In France he would be a Dijon player maybe. An average one.

In Holland he is a starter with Ajax and we have to trust him to defend on top strikers during CL games.

15. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    How could players such as Breuer, Beugelsdijk and Rens Van Eijden become professional footballers?

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe so but he has been much more consistent than Sanchez in recent matches. He's a decent enough defender and I guess I disagree with you on this. I suspect he could start for a number of clubs in other leagues.

17. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Maybe he would now that he has the label «starter with Ajax», but if he was born in another country it would be different.

The thing is that he isnt strong phyiscally nor a very good footballer. He is just average.

In the top countries they manage to have defenders who are strong, fast and good with the ball.

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I didnt even watch the whole game, but as soon as I saw the 1-4 scoreline I knew we were in trouble.

Our Europa League coefficent totals are f*cked beyond oblivion.
    I dont care how many times you try to spin this fact, its true!!!!

19. Feyenoord this season shows how important that is. From promising and then disappointingly become trailing the top 2 the second half of the season to now the leaders from day one. One of the factors that make opponents collaps is the intensity Feyenoord plays the match. It ultimately makes the opponents not used to that gasp for air in the last 15 minutes.
    I hope the players stay another year.
    But about Dutch defending. Did you watch champions league defending in Manchester last night?

20. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    AZ is really embarassing and yet they have Krul, Vlaar, Haps on the field...

+PL+ repped this.
  21. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    brAZil 7-1

22. It really means Aller Zielen for our UEFA coefficient.

Orange14 repped this.
  23. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Now explain defending tactics in Dutch league. :whistling: You always attack me when I say Dutch league is weak in defending department. :mad: